Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:01 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 696 [29]
Given Kudos: 156
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [5]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [3]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: Although online travel sites have made the local travel agent obsolete [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ujjwaljee wrote:
Why is Option B correct despite the fact that the content before and after while does not seem parallel?

Hi Ujjwal, it's best to not treat while as a parallelism indicator. Hence, content before and after the while construct, need not be parallel.

For example, following sentence is correct:

Peter met with an accident while driving.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [4]
Given Kudos: 292
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Although online travel sites have made the local travel agent obsolete [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Although online travel sites have made the local travel agent obsolete, the digitization of the ticketing process in the commercial bus industry reduced the average occupancy while the previous year’s costs were increased to double.

(A) digitization of ticketing in the commercial bus industry reduced the average occupancy while the previous year’s costs were increased to double.

Previous year's costs can not be doubled now...costs of present time can be twice to those of previous year's....

(B) digitization of ticketing in the commercial bus industry reduced the average occupancy while increasing costs to double those of the previous year

SV agreement is fine.... comparison is OK ... previous year's cost to this year's cost.... Correct answer....

(C) digitization of ticketing in the commercial bus industry reduced the average occupancy as cost were increased to twice of the previous year’s

cost is not OK..... costs were increased....

(D) ticketing digitization in the commercial bus industry reduced the average occupancy as it doubled the previous year’s costs

previous year’s costs can't be doubled now..... costs of present time can be twice to those of previous year's....

(E) ticketing digitization in the commercial bus industry reduced the average occupancy while costs were increased to twice that of the previous year

That of is problem here ....it should have been ...those of

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 445 [0]
Given Kudos: 725
Schools: NUS '25 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep GMATNinja

Can you please help with this question? I could confidently eliminate only options C and E, but for the rest I'm completely clueless.

Can you please help understand what is happening in this question? For context, this appeared in today's QOTD, so I'm hopeful there is some learning intended behind this.

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [2]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Although online travel sites have made the local travel agent obsolete [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
kungfury42 wrote:
MartyTargetTestPrep GMATNinja

Can you please help with this question? I could confidently eliminate only options C and E, but for the rest I'm completely clueless.

Can you please help understand what is happening in this question? For context, this appeared in today's QOTD, so I'm hopeful there is some learning intended behind this.

(A) is fine until this part.

while the previous year’s costs were increased to double

That part conveys the nonsensical meaning that the previous years costs were somehow increased. Did the commercial bus industry have a time machine?

(D) has a similar issue. Here's (D).

(D) ticketing digitization in the commercial bus industry reduced the average occupancy as it doubled the previous year’s costs

So, in (D) as well, the commercial bus industry somehow went back in time and "doubled the previous year's costs."

What (B) says, that digitization "reduced the average occupancy while increasing costs to double those of the previous year," makes sense since costs could be increased to double the costs of the previous year.

So, (B) is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
A.C.D have a grammer problem in year's, so I delete A.C.D, am I correct?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30790 [1]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
T4W01 wrote:

Hey T4W01

Happy to help.

There are at least a couple of standard applications of "Year's" I can think of, off the top of my head.

a. In specifying the duration of a year
      For example: In a year's time

b. To denote certain things that belong to or are of a particular year
      For example: This year's calendar, etc.

Hence, I would take the cautious approach and not eliminate these choices just because of "year's". I'd look for more deterministic errors in those choices.

And gauging from the excellent explanations given above, there are clearly more blatant errors in choices A, C, and D.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Abhishek
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
T4W01 wrote:

Hello T4W01,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, there is no error in the use of the possessive noun "year's"; such usage is grammatically acceptable and conveys that whatever the possessive noun refers to "belongs to" or is "from" either a particular year or a span of time equal to a year.

For example, "a year's wages" refers to the wages earned in one total year.

"last year's wages" refers to the total wages earned in the preceding year.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: MBA Center
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Education)
Send PM
Although online travel sites have made the local travel agent obsolete [#permalink]
The most appropriate and grammatically correct sentence is option (B): "digitization of ticketing in the commercial bus industry reduced the average occupancy while increasing costs to double those of the previous year."

This option correctly conveys that the digitization of ticketing in the commercial bus industry caused a decrease in average occupancy. It also states that costs increased to double the costs of the previous year. The phrase "double those of the previous year" accurately compares the costs to twice the amount of the previous year.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts