Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:45 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Do you intend to work for your current company after earning your MBA?
This is what I find so weird. From a manager's perspective (or the way I see it) if I had to promote someone in mid-November, I would be very reluctant to promote someone that I know will in most likehood quit in June/July next year, even if that person is clearly the most qualified candidate.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Lich wrote:
Do you intend to work for your current company after earning your MBA?
This is what I find so weird. From a manager's perspective (or the way I see it) if I had to promote someone in mid-November, I would be very reluctant to promote someone that I know will in most likehood quit in June/July next year, even if that person is clearly the most qualified candidate.

I have not thought that far. I can't plan for 4 years down the line yet (which is why I need an MBA :) )

One has to factor in that a part time MBA at Haas is a 3 year program, and I do plan to work at the same place during this interim.

I agree with you in that as an employer, I would be unwilling to promote someone who I knew would be leaving soon.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ahhh, you are applying for PT. Now everything makes sense. Please just disregard my previous posts.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have applied to PT HAAS before, and have loads of information about how 'not' to get into HAAS, as I have been rejected once and have gotten tremendous amount of feedback from them.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1065 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Can you share your how not to get rejected strategies? Do tell.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Went for the EWMBA Haas info session this evening in the Bay Area. Was anyone else there? Anyway, nothing major missed. By my calculations should be able to get my company to fund 2/3 of it, if I make it.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
ok:

1. Try not to get your interview with this lady, hmm i will re-collect her name in a bit, she is the director of the Evening and Weekend Program.

2. If you don't wear a tie for the interview, you won't get it, point blank. I was told later by feedback that this was on of the reasons of my 'unprofessionalism'

3. Need to have 85 percentile in both quant and verbal. I had 99 in quant and 76 in verbal and was told that this was one of the reasons for rejection.

4. having 5-6 yr work exp is very common among applicant, one needs to have shown leadership by management of atleast 10 ppl. i had managed 4, and this number was far too few for them.

5. resume needs to be really good.

6. careful of grammar in essays.

7. essays dont count that much in part time berkeley as much as the interview does, and 90% ppl get interviews.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hindustan wrote:
ok:

1. Try not to get your interview with this lady, hmm i will re-collect her name in a bit, she is the director of the Evening and Weekend Program.

2. If you don't wear a tie for the interview, you won't get it, point blank. I was told later by feedback that this was on of the reasons of my 'unprofessionalism'

3. Need to have 85 percentile in both quant and verbal. I had 99 in quant and 76 in verbal and was told that this was one of the reasons for rejection.

4. having 5-6 yr work exp is very common among applicant, one needs to have shown leadership by management of atleast 10 ppl. i had managed 4, and this number was far too few for them.

7. essays dont count that much in part time berkeley as much as the interview does, and 90% ppl get interviews.

This is an interesting bit of information...I find some of it difficult to believe though. Lets go through it..

Regarding 1: Thanks for this tip. I'm aware that some adcoms can be sticky, but how does one try not to get an interview specifically with one person?

Regarding 2: Ok, I'm surprised a little, but not completely. I've been told by many that the way you dress is an implicit declaration of intent. Makes some sense, and is easy to address.

Regarding 3: Doable, but work in progress.

Regarding 4: At the company I work at, I know people personally who are not managing teams but have made it into this very program. I also know people, who are managing teams of 4-5 people and have made it in. I don't think one can put a hard number of 12 people and say...this is the number you need to meet to be admitted to our program. I think the size and prestige of the company play a part here as do the management dynamics of the company.

Regarding 5: Nothing new here.

Regarding 6: Interesting that you mention it. One of the things that I caught (and was a little peeved about) was the way the lady (might be the same person you're advising us to avoid) said "we spend a lot of time reading your essays, so watch your commas and punctuation".

Regarding 7: Your statement goes against all general advice. In any case, I think we're all going to take our best shots at the essays, regardless of where they fit into the package.

Again, thanks for the tips.

Could you tell us a little more about your interview? This kind of information is what I've been scrounging around for.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hindustan wrote:
ok:

Everyone's feedback is particular to them, so I just want to show that different people have different experiences and different results.

For example...

A friend of mine, currently at Haas, had no direct management experience (and neither do most people who go to MBA), only indirect, and maybe of 4 or 5 maximum. In addition, his GMAT score was below 85% on both fronts.

I'd also question the essay comment.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I was interviewed in March/April timeframe.
The feedback by phone was what I jotted down as above. Ofcourse I don't mean essays are not important, maybe mine were too good, and probably my resume and management experience was lakcing in "comparative" terms.

Questions:

1. Tell us about yourself.

2. What do you do at work?

3. How many ppl do you manage? What have been some of the issues you have overcome in managing your direct reports?

4. Where do you want to be after you graduate?

30 min was scheduled time, we spent about 37 mins.

----------------------
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Hindustan, good stuff
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hindustan wrote:
ok:

I just had a reaction to a few of the points.

For #2, I'm not really surprised. Now, a certain casual attitude permeates the Bay Area, but if you are interviewing for business school, you have to leave that behind. As I would with any interview, if it were not already obvious, I would call and check on the appropriate dress. Interviewers are happy to tell you; it is not a guessing game. There may be some confusion over terminology, but business formal means suit and tie.

#3 - According to the chart on a recent GMAT score sheet, 85th percentile would be 48Q/38V. By my estimation, that would be about 700 overall. I could believe that if they say that 700 is the average, but there is no way that 85th percentile is a hard cut-off. In fact, since 700 is about the average score, 1/2 of the admitted students are below 700. If you further estimate that few will score exactly 48/38, it should be accurate that fewer than 1/4 of the overall admitted applicants are over 85th percentile on both Q & V. Even Wharton's full-time program states that they 'prefer' 80th percentile on both.

#6 - This should go unsaid. I mean really, how can someone take your application seriously if you don't even take the time to use correct grammar?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 392 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
my gmat as of now is scheduled for oct 20th - do you guys think i can still try and apply for R1 at haas (deadline nov 15th) or should i target for R2 only ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
Nov 15 is doable. Depends how much you do before Oct 20 though. You cant leave it till then. Recommendations for example need to start now.

Honestly though, I'd say, unless theres a pressing reason to apply in R1, better to do it right and apply R2.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great discussion guys... one more to the applicant pool for Haas.
Just decided to look at the app today and have exactly 49 days to get it done... hopefully will.

Couple of questions:

a. Not a managerial role? Does that necessarily go against you? By the tone of my question, you might note that I am not in a management role?

b. Multi-dimensional app: What about other activities? What can you highlight and what should you avoid highlighting?

c. Where should I start my app process? Just start grinding at one aspect? Or start with the essays & recos.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
haas_mba07 wrote:
Great discussion guys... one more to the applicant pool for Haas.
Just decided to look at the app today and have exactly 49 days to get it done... hopefully will.

Couple of questions:

a. Not a managerial role? Does that necessarily go against you? By the tone of my question, you might note that I am not in a management role?

Now, dont mistake managerial role for leadership. Thats a common misconception. Leadership is not about being a manager. Think about that for a while and you'll see im right. If you dont get it, feel free to PM me.

Quote:
b. Multi-dimensional app: What about other activities? What can you highlight and what should you avoid highlighting?

Anything really. Something that makes you different. Idealyl, some kind of activity in which you take a leadership role. These should be things in which you DO something, not just "a member", ideally. For example, you might be a member of the ACLU, but unelss you do something for them, you are just one of hundreds of thousands of supporters. Another perfect example of poor activities: donating money to charity. IT's not an activity but people list stuff like this anyway.

Don't highlight (but feel free to list):
Areas in which you are not a leader
Areas in which you are not an active member
Areas in which your participation is tactical not strategic.

Highlight:
Any kind of activity outside of work in which you take a signficant responsibility.

Now, that can be ANYTHING. Baseball team. Music Club. A choir. In fact, in some ways, the further away it is from your day job, the more interesting itll be.

[/quote]
c. Where should I start my app process? Just start grinding at one aspect? Or start with the essays & recos.[/quote]

That depends.
What have you done already? Anything?

I'd suggest the following:

1. Redo your resume. This will force you to think about your leadership experiences.

2. Write up some points for yoru recommenders to help remind them of things you did so they can be as specific as possible. Give them to them ASAP.

3. Look at the application and find out what, besides, the essays, they ask for. You'd be surprised how much stuff you sometimes have to go find out - i.e. contact numbers for X or Y, exact dates of employment, your parent's graduate institutions, fax numbers for previous employers, etc etc... Its all this other work that takes much much longer than you think.

4. The essays.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]