Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:02 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32835 [5]
Given Kudos: 5775
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8805 [4]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 599
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32835 [1]
Send PM
Re: Archaeological discoveries frequently undermine accepted ideas, giving [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

3. Each of the following is cited as a factor in the importance of the discovery of the fossils EXCEPT

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

On Except questions, it is often easier to eliminate incorrect answer choices until only one is left.

(A) The fourth sentence of the first paragraph cites a quotation from a noted paleo-anthropologist that the find of the child fossils was of unprecedented importance due to the child's age at death. Therefore, the fact that the remains were those of a child was of substantial significance.

(B) The antiquity (a synonym for age) of the fossils is mentioned in the fourth sentence of the first paragraph as a reason why the fossils were an important discovery.

(C) CORRECT. The location of the fossil discovery is mentioned in the first paragraph of the passage. However, the location is not provided as a reason why the fossils are significant.

(D) This choice is tricky. The second paragraph describes what was previously believed about afarensis and that this evidence dramatically affected certain theories about the development of speech in humans. The fossils were of a human-related species, so the species itself was significant in influencing the theories about human speech.

(E) The fourth sentence of the first paragraph notes that the find was important due its completeness. The intact nature of the fossils is another way of saying that the fossils are complete.

Answer: C

Hope it helps

ballest127 wrote:
Hi Experts,

In Q3, why C is incorrect?

The passage states that "Recently, a set of 3.3-millionyear-old fossils, the remains of the earliest well preserved child ever found, were discovered in Ethiopia"

They were discovered in Ethiopia, the discovery location.

Please Explain.

Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: Archaeological discoveries frequently undermine accepted ideas, giving [#permalink]
Skywalker18 wrote:
All correct in 7 mins 40 seconds, including 2 mins 30 seconds to read.
Para 1- 3.3-million year-old fossils undermines accepted ideas
Para 2- gorilla-like arms suggest that afarensis was still able to swing through trees; presence of a hyoid bone

1. The organization of the passage could best be described as
(C) illustrating a contention with a specific example- Correct, the contention is 'Archaeological discoveries frequently undermine accepted ideas, giving rise to new theories' and example of Australopithecus afarensis fossil is given

I get that when you look at the passage for a couple more minutes you could come to this conclusion that C is the only one that fits properly.

I have an issue here though:
When you are looking at this paragraph under time and gmat pressure, do you also come to C finally ?
I got stuck between B and C and then finally chose to go with B because the whole passage seemed to talk about "contrasting ".

Also, how is 'Archaeological discoveries frequently undermine accepted ideas, giving rise to new theories' a contention ?

SajjadAhmad. If you could chime in as well. What should have been my strategy to get this correct ? What did I miss when I chose B over C ?

I know i didn't see exact theories, should that have been my clue ?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32835 [3]
Send PM
Archaeological discoveries frequently undermine accepted ideas, giving [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

When assessing a passage's organization, consider the main idea of each paragraph. This passage begins by noting that archaeological discoveries frequently undermine accepted ideas, giving rise to new theories. It supports this statement by relating the impact of one discovery in the field. Thus, the best answer will reference both the overall contention and the use of the example.

(A) This choice omits the phenomenon that the discovery is meant to illustrate: discoveries often give rise to new theories. Also, there is nothing controversial about the described discovery.

(B) The passage does not focus on the contrast between previous theories of human development and current theories. Rather, it discusses a singular discovery that affects previous theories. The passage would need to outline both previous and current theories of development and then contrast them. Instead, the passage focuses on how one example illustrates a way in which the field of archaeology evolves.

(C) CORRECT. The passage makes a general claim and uses a specific example to support that claim, just as this choice states.

(D) One might feel that the evolution of theories of human development is a worthwhile object of contemplation, but the passage does not argue for the importance of archaeology as a field of study. This answer choice misstates the organization of the passage.

(E) The passage does not indicate how popular the earlier theories of human development were. Also, the passage provides only one example of a single discovery and its importance. The language employed in the passage does not warrant describing the passage as a refutation of past theories.

Answer: C

Hope it helps

navderm wrote:
Skywalker18 wrote:
All correct in 7 mins 40 seconds, including 2 mins 30 seconds to read.
Para 1- 3.3-million year-old fossils undermines accepted ideas
Para 2- gorilla-like arms suggest that afarensis was still able to swing through trees; presence of a hyoid bone

(C) illustrating a contention with a specific example- Correct, the contention is 'Archaeological discoveries frequently undermine accepted ideas, giving rise to new theories' and example of Australopithecus afarensis fossil is given

I get that when you look at the passage for a couple more minutes you could come to this conclusion that C is the only one that fits properly.

I have an issue here though:
When you are looking at this paragraph under time and gmat pressure, do you also come to C finally ?
I got stuck between B and C and then finally chose to go with B because the whole passage seemed to talk about "contrasting ".

Also, how is 'Archaeological discoveries frequently undermine accepted ideas, giving rise to new theories' a contention ?

SajjadAhmad. If you could chime in as well. What should have been my strategy to get this correct ? What did I miss when I chose B over C ?

I know i didn't see exact theories, should that have been my clue ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 445
GMAT 1: 610 Q46 V28
Send PM
Archaeological discoveries frequently undermine accepted ideas, giving [#permalink]
SajjadAhmad

Where can I find the official explanation for all the questions, similar to the one you have provided for question 1?

Also, in question 2 what do we mean by when we say 'to qualify the main idea'?

"2. The passage quotes Zeresenay Alemseged in order to

(A) provide evidence to qualify the main idea of the first paragraph"

Skywalker18
If you too can throw some light on the above 'qualify the main idea' doubt of mine?

Thanks
Saurabh
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Send PM
ballest127 wrote:
Hi Experts,

In Q3, why C is incorrect?

The passage states that "Recently, a set of 3.3-millionyear-old fossils, the remains of the earliest well preserved child ever found, were discovered in Ethiopia"

They were discovered in Ethiopia, the discovery location.

Please Explain.

Thank you.
[/quote]

Hi.....the passage does say that this species lived in africa......and since Ethiopia is in africa ....does this not make the location to be TRUE?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32835 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sarjaria84 wrote:
SajjadAhmad

Where can I find the official explanation for all the questions, similar to the one you have provided for question 1?

Also, in question 2 what do we mean by when we say 'to qualify the main idea'?

"2. The passage quotes Zeresenay Alemseged in order to

(A) provide evidence to qualify the main idea of the first paragraph"

Skywalker18
If you too can throw some light on the above 'qualify the main idea' doubt of mine?

Thanks
Saurabh

This question originates from Manhattan GRE guide so you can find explanation of all questions there, as far as question number 2 is concerned i am posting the official explanation of the same.

Official Explanation

2. The passage quotes Zeresenay Alemseged in order to

Difficulty Level: 650

Explanation

This quotation in the first paragraph highlights the importance of the discovery and is followed by another similar reference. The quotation is used to emphasize the exceptional importance of this find; the correct answer for this Inference question will reflect this emphasis.

(A) The main idea of the first paragraph is that a new finding can call accepted archaeological theories into question. The rest of the paragraph provides an example of this phenomenon. The quotation emphasizes the importance of the discovery itself, not the example, nor does the quotation qualify or limit the main idea of the first paragraph.

(B) The passage does not discuss claims of other scientists. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

(C) The discussion of the linguistic ability of the afarensis species is in the second paragraph and is unrelated to this quotation.

(D) CORRECT. The point of this paragraph is to illustrate that in archaeology, important factual discoveries lead to theoretical changes. The quotation corroborates the idea that this discovery is in fact a significant one.

(E) The quotation is offered as corroboration of the importance of the discovery and is not refuted at any point in the passage.

Answer: D

Hope it helps
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts