Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [14]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [10]
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [2]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [1]
Given Kudos: 120
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Morris's workshops at Kelmscott offered as radical a challenge to Brit [#permalink]
Kudos
The answer should be C.

THe as radical ...stem requires another as. Hence A ,B & Ecan be easily eliminated. Between C & D, C uses would properly to show that the second act happened in the future wrt the first one.

Hene C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 281 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
Schools:
GPA: 3.75
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: Morris's workshops at Kelmscott offered as radical a challenge to Brit [#permalink]
Kudos
Morris's workshops at Kelmscott offered as radical a challenge to British mass fabrication of textiles, furniture, and printed papers that, fifty years later, the Bauhaus will present to industrial manufacture in the twentieth century.

A) that, fifty years later, the Bauhaus will present for comparison as is used the usage of that creates incorrect comparison

B) that, fifty years later, the Bauhaus would present same issue of A

C) as, fifty years later, the Bauhaus would present this option uses the correct comparison as well as the correctly as X............, as Y

D) as, fifty years later, the Bauhaus did present the use of as is correct here however the use of tense is incorrect

E) just as, fifty years later, the Bauhaus the use of tense is incorrect

IMO C correct use of tense as well as idiom
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [2]
Given Kudos: 160
GPA: 3.9
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 167: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Morris's workshops at Kelmscott offered as radical a challenge to British mass fabrication of textiles, furniture, and printed papers that, fifty years later, the Bauhaus will present to industrial manufacture in the twentieth century.

A) that, fifty years later, the Bauhaus will present

B) that, fifty years later, the Bauhaus would present

C) as, fifty years later, the Bauhaus would present

D) as, fifty years later, the Bauhaus did present

E) just as, fifty years later, the Bauhaus presented

Hi,

IMO C.

Two things to notice here:
1. idiom as X as,
2. future of past tense.

Lets get the meaning right first.
Morris's workshops offered a challenge to British industries. Similar challenge,fifty years later, the Bauhaus presented to industrial manufacture.

Now, whenever such a sequential historical description is presented, certain past event and uncertain "future" but still in past, it is better to express in simple past and would form.
Here is another such example:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/during-the-r ... 45262.html

Choosing correct answer choice:
Noticing idiom gives us a clear 2-3 split.
Between C and D, C uses the correct tense form. Hence the correct answer choice.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [1]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Kudos
The use of present future tense will presentin option A is not appropriate considering whatever challenge that was presented by Bauhaus took occurred in the 20th century. In addition, the use of that is not appropriate in a construct of as....as.... Hence A and B can be eliminated.

E is also incorrect because the use of just as incorrect in this context. Just as can be used for comparisons but not with as...as... construct.

Between D and C, I am more inclined towards C as it seems more appropriate in the context. The two actions did not occur within the same timeframe, hence the use of would present for the later action which is also in the past seems more appropriate to me. did present also depicts an action which took place in the past, however, the sentence conveys a meaning which shows a sequence of which would present is more appropriate.

The answer is C in my view.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Morris's workshops at Kelmscott offered as radical a challenge to Brit [#permalink]
Kudos

My take -
Meaning - Morris's workshop offered as radical a challenge to british mass facbrication... as fifty years later the bahuaus would present

We are comparing a challenge offered by Morris's workshop with the Bahuaus
We are talking of Future from Past

1) Comparision - as... as idiom to be used.. Cross off A & B
2) Talking about future from Past- Would to be used .. Cross off D & E

C looks fine..

E) just as, fifty years later, the Bauhaus presented[/quote]
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [1]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:

E) just as, fifty years later, the Bauhaus presented

The non underlined portion mentions "as radical a challenge" so we should be looking for one more "as" in the sentence. As X as Y is the idiom I believe.
That helps us get rid of A and B.

Options C, D and E are compared as highlighted.

Quote:
C) as, fifty years later, the Bauhaus would present - Future tense makes sense and hence the correct choice.
D) as, fifty years later, the Bauhaus did present Tense is a problem. We can not say "Fifty years later, I did eat cake. That's just weird.
E) just as, fifty years later, the Bauhaus presented - We really don't need "just" before "as" and the tense is also a problem.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I have posted the official explanation HERE
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 214
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Morris's workshops at Kelmscott offered as radical a challenge to Brit [#permalink]
Somebody please help.
Experts AjiteshArun daagh, Please help.
Though we know the idiom "as X ....as Y" but do we have any scenario similar to option A "as radical a challenge.... that" can be used for emphasis?

I marked Option A assuming the meaning as "the challenge had been as radical that .... would present ...". I couldn't get the meaning of the full para properly i would say. Please suggest any possibility for "as X...that Y" scenario.

Thanks.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
fauji wrote:
Somebody please help.
Experts AjiteshArun daagh, Please help.
Though we know the idiom "as X ....as Y" but do we have any scenario similar to option A "as radical a challenge.... that" can be used for emphasis?

I marked Option A assuming the meaning as "the challenge had been as radical that .... would present ...". I couldn't get the meaning of the full para properly i would say. Please suggest any possibility for "as X...that Y" scenario.

Thanks.
Hi fauji,

We cannot replace the second as in an as... as comparison with a that. We may, however, see a that after the second as.

The quality of X is as bad as that of Y. ← This is a (slightly) shorter way of saying "the quality of X is as bad as the quality of Y."

X offered as radical a challenge to A as Y would present to B fifty years later.

This is a slightly shorter way of saying:
X offered as radical a challenge to A as the challenge that Y would present to B fifty years later.
or
The challenge that X offered to A was as radical as the challenge that Y would present to B fifty years later.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
A) that fifty years later, the Bauhaus will present : Correct idiom - As X... as Y... This sentence has used incorrect idiom - "as X..that.."

B) that, fifty years later, the Bauhaus would present : Same as A

C) as, fifty years later, the Bauhaus would present : Idiom error is corrected here. Also the use of tense "would" is parallel with earlier clause.

D) as, fifty years later, the Bauhaus did present : Idiom error is corrected here. But the use of tense "will" is not parallel with the earlier clause

E) just as, fifty years later, the Bauhaus presented : As X... as Y... This sentence has used incorrect idiom - "as X..just as.."
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts