Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:49 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20705 [464]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 972 [133]
Given Kudos: 655
Send PM
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14672 [24]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [10]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V26
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Financial uncertainties from the accident at Three Mile Island may pro [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
After comparing the options, we can eliminate B,C and E because - "to the nuclear industry than political opposition" could mean that financial uncertainties could deter both nuclear industry and political opposition.

In actual we need to say that financial uncertainty deters nuclear industry than political opposition deters the nuclear industry. Hence the usage of 'is' is absolutely necessary to avoid this confusion.

For A vs D,

I try this way of solving by completing the sentence to make it more simpler to understand:

A) Financial uncertainties from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove even more deterring to the nuclear industry than political opposition is

This statement is incorrect because in my opinion "does" is the right word to be used in this context in comparison to "is". Because "Political Opposition is prove less deterring to nuclear industry " is incorrect.

On the other hand

D) Financial uncertainties resulting from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove to be an even more serious deterrent to the nuclear industry than is political opposition.

This statement is right. Because the usage of "is" is along with "to be" and "is" is preferred in this context to "does".

D is the right answer

Please correct me if my way of solving this is incorrect.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [7]
Given Kudos: 522
Send PM
Re: Financial uncertainties from the accident at Three Mile Island may pro [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
In general, I do believe the verb form is more elegant than the noun form but in this case, I don't think deterring is better than deterrent. I almost eliminated A & E on that basis. I think the major split lies in what is being compared -
Cutting the fluff, E effectively says the financial difficulties may be more deterring to the nuclear industry than political opposition. There is a lot of Ambiguity here - Is it deterring to the nuclear industry or the political opposition?
D addresses this ambiguity by adding an is.

The answer should be D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19705 [43]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
hazelnut wrote:
Financial uncertainties from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove even more deterring to the nuclear industry than political opposition is.

(A) from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove even more deterring to the nuclear industry than political opposition is
(B) from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove to be even more serious a deterrent to the nuclear industry than political opposition
(C) from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove to be an even more serious deterrent to the nuclear industry than political opposition
(D) resulting from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove to be an even more serious deterrent to the nuclear industry than is political opposition
(E) resulting from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove even more deterring to the nuclear industry than political opposition

SC52561.01

Official Explanation

Grammatical construction; Parallelism

First, deterring to the nuclear industry is not correct, as deter is a transitive verb and requires a direct object. Furthermore, while prove does not have to be followed by to be, here to be is required for parallelism with political opposition is. Finally, even though financial uncertainties from is not strictly incorrect, financial uncertainties resulting from would be clearer.

A. This choice is flawed for the reasons above.

B. As worded, this choice can be read as comparing the degree to which the financial uncertainties are a deterrent with the degree to which the financial uncertainties are political opposition. To fix this, we must insert the verb is either before or after political opposition. Furthermore, the sentence would be clearer if it said resulting from. Finally, even more serious a deterrent would more appropriately read an even more serious deterrent.

C. The comparison is again faulty as in choice B. Also, the sentence would be clearer if it said resulting from.

D. Correct. This choice clearly conveys the intended meaning. While it is possible to argue that is would be better placed after political opposition, it is technically correct in either place. Realistically, this issue is minor compared to those in each of the other choices.

E. Deterring to the nuclear industry is not correct, as deter is a transitive verb and requires a direct object.

The correct answer is D.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 305 [24]
Given Kudos: 60
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 490 Q44 V15
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GRE 1: Q165 V155
GPA: 3.05
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Financial uncertainties from the accident at Three Mile Island may pro [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
IMO, the main issue here is whether we need an AUXILIARY verb (or not) in the second part of the comparison ?

Two options have AUXILIARY verbs in the second segment of comparison (a & d) and three options don't (b,c,d).

WHEN we need an AUXILIARY verb in the second part of the comparison
If there is any chance od DOUBLE meaning & tense mismatch, we must include an AUXILIARY verb in the second part of the comparison.

For example, I love dogs more than my wife.
This sentence has two meanings.
(1) I love two things (dog and my wife) and I love dogs more than I love my wife.
(2) I and my wife love dogs and I love dogs more than she loves dogs.
So, this sentence requires an auxiliary verb in the second segment of comparison to ensure the same meaning to all.
Correction: I love dogs more than my wife does. or I love dogs more than I do my wife.

Back to the question
Financial uncertainty maybe even more discouraging to the nuclear industry than political opposition.
This sentence has TWO meanings.
(1) Financial uncertainty is problematic........
(a) to the nuclear industry and
(b) to political opposition.
and Financial uncertainty is more problematic to the nuclear industry than to political opposition.

(2) Both (a) Financial uncertainty and (b) political opposition are discouraging to the nuclear industry.
Financial uncertainty is more discouraging to the nuclear industry.

Since this sentence provides DOUBLE meaning, we must include an AUXILIARY verb in the second part of the comparison..

So, B, C & E OUT.
So, Answer A or D

Now a vs d.
Auxiliary in the second segment of comparison must be matched with the auxiliary verb of first segment.
In other words, if I want to use a BE verb in the second segment, another BE verb must be available in the first segment.

Here in option A, SECOND segment of comparison has a BE verb (is). But, there is no be verb in first segment. So, option A is out.

In option D, SECOND segment of comparison has a BE verb (is). And there is a BE verb in first segment. So, option D followed the auxiliary verb rule.

Option D is my answer.

P.S. than IS political opposition=than political opposition IS
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Hi GMATNinjaTwo, thanks for your reply. I guess I accidentally removed the part which I wanted to ask... Sorry.

I was able to eliminate options (A), (B), and (C), but got stuck between (D) and (E). The explanation by one of the experts is not helpful because he jusitifies (E), which is wrong. Clearly, deterring is not a verb.

Would (E) be correct if it had "than political opposition is"?

Also, I cannot fully understand the comparison pieces in (D). I guess smth may prove to be more serious to nuclear industry than political opposition is?

(D) resulting from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove to be an even more serious deterrent to the nuclear industry than is political opposition

(E) resulting from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove even more deterring to the nuclear industry than political opposition
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [6]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
mykrasovski wrote:
Hi GMATNinjaTwo, thanks for your reply. I guess I accidentally removed the part which I wanted to ask... Sorry.

I was able to eliminate options (A), (B), and (C), but got stuck between (D) and (E). The explanation by one of the experts is not helpful because he jusitifies (E), which is wrong. Clearly, deterring is not a verb.

Would (E) be correct if it had "than political opposition is"?

Also, I cannot fully understand the comparison pieces in (D). I guess smth may prove to be more serious to nuclear industry than political opposition is?

Hello mykrasovski,

Although your question is not directed to me, here is my explanation for your question. :-)

Choice E is certainly incorrect because the missing verb in the second part of the comparison makes the comparison ambiguous.

The way Choice E is phrased, we can infer two meanings/comparisons:

Comparison 1: Financial uncertainties may prove more deterring to the nuclear industry than is political opposition. Compared entities: Financial uncertainties and political opposition.

Comparison 2: Financial uncertainties may prove more deterring to the nuclear industry than to political opposition. Compared entities: nuclear industry and political opposition.

Choices A & D are the only two answer choices that present the unambiguous comparison between Financial uncertainties and political opposition. But Choice A has faults. Hence, Choice D is the correct answer choice.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
hazelnut wrote:
Financial uncertainties from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove even more deterring to the nuclear industry than political opposition is.

(A) from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove even more deterring to the nuclear industry than political opposition is
(B) from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove to be even more serious a deterrent to the nuclear industry than political opposition
(C) from the accident at Three Mile Island may prove to be an even more serious deterrent to the nuclear industry than political opposition

SC52561.01

"Financial uncertainties from the accident" is extremely unclear. I don't understand what it means.
"Financial uncertainties resulting from the accident" makes a whole lot more sense. Now I know that we are talking about the financial setback due to the accidental damage. So I will directly go to (D) and (E).

(D) - .... A may prove to be an even more serious deterrent than is B... (Correct)
(E) - .... A may prove even more deterring than B (incorrect usage since deter is used with an object. It automatically sounds wrong, doesn't it?)
Th usage is "The scarecrow deterred birds (object)."

(A) has both issues.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
billybealright wrote:

SC52561.01

This is the structure of the sentence:

A may prove to be an even more serious B than is C.

A is a noun and since A may prove to be B, B should be a noun too. Hence, you need to use 'deterrent', the noun form.

Also, you need 'is' before C. Otherwise it may seem that comparison is between B and C. But actually the comparison is between A and C.

'Financial uncertainties' may be a bigger deterrent than is 'political opposition' - the comparison is between 'Financial uncertainties' and 'political opposition'.

Hence, (D) is correct.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Student
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Dharmendra: Singh Yadav
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
hazelnut wrote:

SC52561.01

"Financial uncertainties from the accident" is extremely unclear. I don't understand what it means.
"Financial uncertainties resulting from the accident" makes a whole lot more sense. Now I know that we are talking about the financial setback due to the accidental damage. So I will directly go to (D) and (E).

(D) - .... A may prove to be an even more serious deterrent than is B... (Correct)
(E) - .... A may prove even more deterring than B (incorrect usage since deter is used with an object. It automatically sounds wrong, doesn't it?)

(A) has both issues.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
dharam9610 wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
hazelnut wrote:

SC52561.01

(A) has both issues.

'deter' when used as a verb needs an object. Even if we try to rewrite and do away with 'to be', we don't have an object.
With 'to be' we need a noun here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
hazelnut wrote:

SC52561.01

(A) has both issues.

VeritasKarishma

AjiteshArun GMATNinja DmitryFarber : Your inputs would be appreciated

In your above explanation for option E, you have stated incorrect usage since deter is used with an object.

I agree in the example quoted The scarecrow deterred birds (object)." deter is used as a verb & therefore 'birds' is object here. However in option E 'deterring' is not acting as a verb rather 'may prove' is a verb for Subject ( Financial uncertainities).Then why we need to have object afer deterring.As per my understanding 'Deterring' is an adjective .

SecondlY, even if 'deterring' is a verb here then is not 'deterrent' a verb in option D.Also in option D 'to be' is used.Please share the significance of 'TO BE' here & why it is important to have.

Please clear the gap in my understanding.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatassassin88 wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
hazelnut wrote:

SC52561.01

(A) has both issues.

VeritasKarishma

AjiteshArun GMATNinja DmitryFarber : Your inputs would be appreciated

In your above explanation for option E, you have stated incorrect usage since deter is used with an object.

I agree in the example quoted The scarecrow deterred birds (object)." deter is used as a verb & therefore 'birds' is object here. However in option E 'deterring' is not acting as a verb rather 'may prove' is a verb for Subject ( Financial uncertainities).Then why we need to have object afer deterring.As per my understanding 'Deterring' is an adjective .

SecondlY, even if 'deterring' is a verb here then is not 'deterrent' a verb in option D.Also in option D 'to be' is used.Please share the significance of 'TO BE' here & why it is important to have.

Please clear the gap in my understanding.

'deter' is a verb which needs an object. 'deter' means to discourage someone from doing something or prevent something.
You could use deterring as a present participle but by its very definition it will be used with an object.

A took action B, deterring war.
When you say it will prevent or is preventing, there has to be something it will prevent.

Here you need the noun form.
A may prove to be a deterrent. Then you wouldn't need an object because you are saying A is a deterrent to something.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1731 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
Send PM