Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [9]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.44
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1305 [2]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 3.82
WE:Account Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: The overall demand for used computers has risen dramatically [#permalink]
Kudos
gjg wrote:
The overall demand for used computers has risen dramatically in the past few years. Most of this increase is a result of the explosion of entertainment software products aimed at young first-time computer users. As is to be expected, this demand has exerted an upward pressure on prices of used computers. As a result, we can expect that an increasing number of computer owners will be selling their old computers to buy the latest models.

Which of the following, if true, would most help to support the conclusion in the argument above?

A. Computer technology is progressing so rapidly that computers purchased a year ago are now virtually obsolete.
B. Exciting new software is being developed that can only run on the latest computer models.
C. Most computer users do not know how to upgrade their old computers to accommodate the latest software products.
D. It is less expensive to buy a new computer than to buy a component and build one yourself.
E. The primary reason computer owners have not bought new computers or used computers that are newer models is that their old computers have little or no resale value.

Conclusion:
More no. computers owners will be selling their used computer to buy latest models.

(E) supports the conclusion :
The owners of the computers were not getting satisfied when they were not getting good re-sale value of their used computer, but when the demand has increased the cost of used computer then the owners of the used computers will get a good resale value and sell their old computers to get latest ones.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools:IIM
 Q49  V24
Send PM
what is the OA? It is confusing.

E says that old computers have little or no resale value however the premise says that the demand has exerted upward pressure on prices of old computers.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
Kudos
E undermines the conclusion by stating that "old computers have little or no resale value.", this statement goes directly against the conclusion.

It's B, since it gives a clear motive to selling old computers and buying the latest models, which is new exciting software that only runs on the latest models.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 895 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Kudos
Expert Reply
Qassam wrote:
E undermines the conclusion by stating that "old computers have little or no resale value.", this statement goes directly against the conclusion.

It's B, since it gives a clear motive to selling old computers and buying the latest models, which is new exciting software that only runs on the latest models.

Ah, but be careful about the timeline here. Yes, having little or not resale value would be a reason not to sell, but the premises imply that the value will be increasing ("this demand has exerted an upward pressure on prices of used computers"). If the low resale value of your old computer was the only reason you didn't buy a new one, then increasing prices for used computers would change that, making you likely to upgrade.

Also, note the actual wording of the conclusion:

Quote:
As a result, we can expect that an increasing number of computer owners will be selling their old computers to buy the latest models.

"As a result" of what? The increased prices for used computers! (B) may provide motivation to upgrade, but it does not support the notion that people are upgrading as a result of the upward pressure on prices of used computers. Plus, (B) could be a disincentive to those who might wish to buy your old computer.

Agreed with the other commenters who think this one is a little fuzzy. That's why it's an LSAT question, not a GMAT question :wink:

GMAT CR will always be more explicit. For example, the premise would probably say that the upward trend in used computer prices will continue into the future (this passage doesn't say that directly), and answer choice (E) would probably be in past tense ("had" no resale value as opposed to "have" no resale value). As stated, we actually have to assume that this upward pressure on prices will continue.

Anyway, major takeaway is that verb tense is not just a Sentence Correction issue – it can be important on CR as well!

Cheers,
Mark
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
gjg wrote:
The overall demand for used computers has risen dramatically in the past few years. Most of this increase is a result of the explosion of entertainment software products aimed at young first-time computer users. As is to be expected, this demand has exerted an upward pressure on prices of used computers. As a result, we can expect that an increasing number of computer owners will be selling their old computers to buy the latest models.

Which of the following, if true, would most help to support the conclusion in the argument above?

A. Computer technology is progressing so rapidly that computers purchased a year ago are now virtually obsolete.
B. Exciting new software is being developed that can only run on the latest computer models.
C. Most computer users do not know how to upgrade their old computers to accommodate the latest software products.
D. It is less expensive to buy a new computer than to buy a component and build one yourself.
E. The primary reason computer owners have not bought new computers or used computers that are newer models is that their old computers have little or no resale value.

The primary reason computer owners have not bought new computers or used computers that are newer models is that their old computers have little or no resale value. - The argument says "not". Since I got confused and tried to ignore the not, then the statement becomes "The primary reason I bought a new or a used computer is because it had little or no resale value" then it would make sense the I will be looking to sell it. But if I say not then how can I be willing to sell it? That means I did not buy it from resale point of view but I bought it from let's say usage point of view.

Can someone try to explain?

Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Except E all opposes the conclusion. Moreover, old computers having "little or no resale value" now ha scope to be sold second-hand to help computer owners make money.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts