Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:54 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi air,

thank you very much for your reply. Good Luck on your GMAT!!!!
Well, I know that math is not my strong point on this app, but Romanian education system in undergrad is particularly strong in math - I have actually done one class of math, stats, econometrics in each year (so I have four semesters) and I got very good scores to all of them) - I also graduated from an intensive math program in high-school (which I know doesn't count too much but I actually did most of the undergrad classes by then). I was thinking to start doing a Masters in Math in Romania, but to be very honest noone here recommended me to do this, cuz it will only take time w/o learning anything - the masters level here is very low.

My quant methods class within the MBA in the US was an A score class as well, so I am guessing that might count as well - and the Prof from there will be one of my recommenders.

But, I took out UofChicago and will consider Wisconsin-Madisson and Baruch College instead - will that work out better, u think?

Thanks a lot again and good luck on your GMAT - let me know how that went.

Bella
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Madison, is a terrific school, I am considering applying there as well, but I think that it is pretty hard to get in. Baruch is also good, if it were not in NYC (just too expensive to live) I would probably consider applying there as well. All though it may not have crossed your mind you may want to apply to some of the Canadian schools in Ontario such as York, U of T and U Western Ontario. I get the feeling that these schools, though well regarded don't seem to have the stringent math requirments and there average GMAT scores are in the 660 range.

Also check out UC Irvine, Texas A&M, Penn state, and some other schools in that range. I think these schools are also very good, but don't attract the number of applicants as some of the more well known schools do. I think that there are small differences between these type of schools and the ones that are really hard to enter (eg UMich), but the odds of entry are higher.

good luck.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Air,

well, to be honest in choosing schools I considered also my long-term goals, that is I wanna live in a city or close to one, as much as possible, and I need 4 seasons:) I come from a temperate climate and I need it so badly:), so no, California, Texas, is not for me. But I am already looking into Penn State, thank you very much for your advice.

What r your plans, what schools did u choose? Maybe I can offer some help as well...

I am gonna sit for GMAT again, probably after I send all the files, after Nov the 15th and hopefully I will get into top 5% in math and will score better in verbal, I feel there is space for improvement in my GMAT results...

Bella
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well my plans are to apply to several schools that have professors working in the field I am interested in, namely risk managment, asset pricing and options/derivatives pricing. I am particularly interested in energy (electricity, oil and gas) work. So I will probably apply to:

University of Calgary (I am a graduate student here right now so may as well)

University of Toronto (Hull and White are there)

University of Rochestor (just a great school)

University of Houston (good for energy work, but probably not great in general)

UT Austin (very long shot, but great school and good in energy)

UNC Charlotte (back up school and will probably lead to private sector job after)

UW Madison (excellent school, great math and econ departments and thier quantitative Masters is excellent)

Some of these will change after I write the GMAT (if I don' get 720+ Austin is out) and I am still not sure about adding some others, what do your think?

My background:

BSc. Electrical Engineering, GPA~ 5.5/9 (not great)
BSc. Applied Mathematics , GPA~3.7/4
MSc. Applied Mathematics (research based) , courses will be this year

I won a research scholarship this summer and am currently working on a paper right now with another to follow after that. My research is focused on developing new stochastic models for the energy markets. I also have several econ and qunatitative finance courses through out my course work. And will be taking some advanced courses this fall and winter in Econ and Finance.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Air,

u have a very strong math background and if I were u, I would aim higher - I feel that your choice of schools is too much on the safe side, to be honest. U should be more confident, I think.

See how GMAT is gonna work out, try to get good rec letters (from well-known professors). I would say that if u have a well prepared application, u should try to at least 2 schools from top 20...u gotta aim higher !!

Good luck and keep in touch!!
Mihaela.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Bella,

Well, I got a 690 (91%) on the GMAT (49Q,35V), I am pretty dissapointed as I was scoring in the 710 range most of the time, but it is what it is. So it looks like UT-Austin is out, probably UW-madison as well.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Air,

your score is very good, I think. I believe u r in the range for U of W Madison, why do u think you're not? GMAT is not even 40% of the decission process, as far as I understood u only gotta be in some range to move on to the next level of assessment and I think u will be able to pass that....maybe we don't have the same infos about the admission process at good schools...UofWMadison is not even in top 30 schools in Finance -based on USNews classifications.

If Northwestern says that their successful applicants score in the 90th percentile overall and Northwestern is in top 10, then I think that u shouldn't worry....at least this is what I think..

Congratulations - after some time will pass, u will realize that u scored very well!!!
Bella.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
air1980 wrote:
Bella,

Well, I got a 690 (91%) on the GMAT (49Q,35V), I am pretty dissapointed as I was scoring in the 710 range most of the time, but it is what it is. So it looks like UT-Austin is out, probably UW-madison as well.

I think you are very likely to get in U of Calgary since you are studying there. Your GMAT is ok for U of C. An unofficial stats indicates that its average GMAT is 670, and an internal document in U of C stating the school's strategic plan claims that it will maintain a 690 average GMAT by 2007. Although GMAT scores of financial applicants are usually higher than the overall average, your strong Math and U of C backgrounds can stand you out. Just try to talk with some professor in Haskayne School to secure your chance.

I scored 690 in GMAT. I also plan to apply to U of Calgary because of its major in Entrepreneurship and Family Business. This major is very rare in the US and Canada, and faculty members barely have such a field of interest.

I also plan to apply to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, where I earned my second MS degrees in Information Technology. I hope I can get in at least one of UC and RPI.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
air1980 wrote:
Bella,

I think you are very likely to get in U of Calgary since you are studying there. Your GMAT is ok for U of C. An unofficial stats indicates that its average GMAT is 670, and an internal document in U of C stating the school's strategic plan claims that it will maintain a 690 average GMAT by 2007. Although GMAT scores of financial applicants are usually higher than the overall average, your strong Math and U of C backgrounds can stand you out. Just try to talk with some professor in Haskayne School to secure your chance.

I scored 690 in GMAT. I also plan to apply to U of Calgary because of its major in Entrepreneurship and Family Business. This major is very rare in the US and Canada, and faculty members barely have such a field of interest.

I also plan to apply to Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, where I earned my second MS degrees in Information Technology. I hope I can get in at least one of UC and RPI.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
hsudk,

I think you are correct about U of C, I think I can probably get in there. But, my GMAT may be to low for all of the other schools except maybe U of T and UNC-Charlotte. But, I think U of T is looking for more of a Econ or Finance background then I have... I may have to rewrite the GMAT.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4380 posts