Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [3]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Dirt roads may evoke the bucolic simplicity of another century, but fi [#permalink]
AjiteshArun wrote:
teaserbae wrote:
AjiteshArun daagh GMATNinja broall generis hazelnut aragonn
Can you please brief on E more ?
Why it is inferior to B?
I have read the above discussion but I still have this doubt
Read the option as X costs twice as much as Y and then look for parallelism. If we had something like

... to maintain dirt roads costs twice as much as to maintain paved roads.

We'd have ended up with a super awkward (but parallel) construction. In its current form, option E reads

... to maintain dirt roads costs twice as much as for paved roads.

AjiteshArun
I don't understand what's super awkward there to maintain is parallel to to maintain
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Re: Dirt roads may evoke the bucolic simplicity of another century, but fi [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
teaserbae wrote:
I don't understand what's super awkward there to maintain is parallel to to maintain
Just because something is parallel doesn't mean that it is correct. There could be any number of other things wrong with an option in which parallel construction is maintained.

By the way, my example was just to help show that the elements in option E are not parallel.

... to maintain dirt roads costs twice as much as for paved roads.[/quote]

The example that you are referring to in your question is not there in the 5 options.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
teaserbae wrote:
Just because something is parallel doesn't mean that it is correct. There could be any number of other things wrong with an option in which parallel construction is maintained.

By the way, my example was just to help show that the elements in option E are not parallel.

... to maintain dirt roads costs twice as much as for paved roads.

The example that you are referring to in your question is not there in the 5 options.[/quote]
AjiteshArun
Than what is for referring to in option 5 ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Send PM
GMATNinjaTwo
Hi I just watched you GMAT webinar for SC and i must say they are just the best.
I still have a doubt in Option B . Do is a pronoun that refers to something that is plural and so in this context it is referring to The Cost of maintaining the Paved roads where cost is singular. Can you please explain.
Thanks in advance
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
longhaul123 wrote:
GMATNinjaTwo
Hi I just watched you GMAT webinar for SC and i must say they are just the best.
I still have a doubt in Option B . Do is a pronoun that refers to something that is plural and so in this context it is referring to The Cost of maintaining the Paved roads where cost is singular. Can you please explain.
Thanks in advance
There are multiple things we have to look at here:

1. Do is a verb (auxiliary, but that's not important), not a pronoun. In other words, do so does not refer to a noun. This usage of do is as a substitute for a verb or verb form that has already been mentioned:

(a) They do so every day.
(b) He does so every day.

Here I've assumed some activity, so you won't see a verb or verb form for the do, but take a look at why the do changes to does. The do changes to does because the subject changes from they to he. This is a case of making the subject and verb agree (and not pronoun agreement).

2. Cost can act as both a noun and a verb.

(c) The cost of X has fallen in the last year. <--- here cost is a singular noun and agrees with the singular verb has fallen
(d) The costs of X have fallen in the last year. <--- here costs is a plural noun and agrees with the plural verb have fallen

(e) This product costs nothing. <--- here costs is a singular verb and agrees with the singular noun (subject) this product
(f) These products cost nothing. <--- here cost is a plural verb and agrees with the plural noun (subject) these products

longhaul123 wrote:
Do is a pronoun that refers to something that is plural and so in this context it is referring to The Cost of maintaining the Paved roads where cost is singular.
When we say the cost, cost is a (singular) noun, and do cannot refer to it. But in option B:

... dirt roads cost twice as much to maintain as paved roads do...

Here cost is a plural verb (for the plural noun dirt roads) and do is "filling in" for cost (with a different subject, paved roads). Effectively, the sentence becomes

... dirt roads cost twice as much to maintain as paved roads cost to maintain...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
A and C compare the cost of maintaining paved roads to dirt roads, so they are both wrong. D is wrong because ‘it’ actually has ‘maintaining dirt roads’ as its antecedent, so the resultant sentence is completely nonsensical. E is not a terrible choice, but it is awkward when compared to the flawless B.

B is the right answer.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2163 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Took me a bit to see what was going on with (C) before eliminating it, but substituting back can help.

(A) Dirt roads may evoke the bucolic simplicity of another century, but financially strained townships point out that dirt roads cost twice as much as maintaining paved roads.

(B) Dirt roads may evoke the bucolic simplicity of another century, but financially strained townships point out that dirt roads cost twice as much to maintain as paved roads do (cost)

(C) Dirt roads may evoke the bucolic simplicity of another century, but financially strained townships point out that maintaining dirt roads costs twice as much as paved roads do

(D) Dirt roads may evoke the bucolic simplicity of another century, but financially strained townships point out that maintaining dirt roads costs twice as much as it does for paved roads

(E) Dirt roads may evoke the bucolic simplicity of another century, but financially strained townships point out that to maintain dirt roads costs twice as much as for paved roads
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
[quote="ritula"]Dirt roads may evoke the bucolic simplicity of another century, but financially strained townships point out that dirt roads cost twice as much as maintaining paved roads.

(A) dirt roads cost twice as much as maintaining paved roads

(B) dirt roads cost twice as much to maintain as paved roads do

(C) maintaining dirt roads costs twice as much as paved roads do

(D) maintaining dirt roads costs twice as much as it does for paved roads

(E) to maintain dirt roads costs twice as much as for paved roads

WE try to make full sentence from ellipsis to realize absurdity
choice a
dirt roads cost twice as much as maintaining paved roads cost. not logical comparison
choice c
maintaining dirt roads costs twice as much as paved road cost. not logical comparison
choice d
maintaining dirt roads costs twice as much as "maintaining dirt roads" costs for paved road. absurd. "it" must refer to whole phrase "maintaining dirt roads"
choice e
to maintain dirt road costs twice as much as to maintain dirt road cost for paved road.
we have a preposition phrase "for paved road" in the second clause, so, we have to keep all full clause of preceding part.
if the second clause contain only preposition phrase, the whole preceding clause must be inserted.

art of solving comparison problem is realization of cut off phrase of the second clause.latter, you check weather the cut off phrase is fit with the remaining parts of the second clause.

realization of the cut off phrase is key
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja We can use the below approach as well for eliminations.

C, D, E - These can be eliminated instantly because of subject verb agreement issue - 'dirt roads' is plural where as 'costs' is singular.

A - We are comparing 'dirt roads cost' (what kind of cost - construction cost? maintenance cost? - there is no clear indication) to 'maintaining paved roads' which is illogical.

B is correct option.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
VatsalKrishna wrote:
C, D, E - These can be eliminated instantly because of subject verb agreement issue - 'dirt roads' is plural where as 'costs' is singular.
In maintaining dirt roads costs, dirt roads is not the subject of costs. Maintaining dirt roads is.

... maintaining dirt roads costs... ← "Maintaining something costs..."
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 165
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
GRE 1: Q167 V164
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
ritula wrote:
Dirt roads may evoke the bucolic simplicity of another century, but financially strained townships point out that dirt roads cost twice as much as maintaining paved roads.

(A) dirt roads cost twice as much as maintaining paved roads

(B) dirt roads cost twice as much to maintain as paved roads do

(C) maintaining dirt roads costs twice as much as paved roads do

(D) maintaining dirt roads costs twice as much as it does for paved roads

(E) to maintain dirt roads costs twice as much as for paved roads

I don't understand why (C) is incorrect?
maintaining dirt roads costs twice as much as [maintaining] paved roads do [costs]?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [1]
Given Kudos: 500