Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 1714
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 235 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V34
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
Re: HELP Needed 700 Q47 V38. [#permalink]
Have you analyzed your ESR report yet? If not, recommend you to do so, may be you can find out some pattern among your 3 attempts
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
HELP Needed 700 Q47 V38. [#permalink]
Gmatclub test as you said is right for you at this moment. With Q47 I think your basics are good
But have you ordered the ESR?
What resource did you use for Quant especially when you got Q49 in your second attempt?
CoDes wrote:
So I have taken my GMAT thrice
1st attempt: 700 Q47 V38
2nd attempt: 680 Q49 V34, with more studying and practice
3rd attempt: 650 Q47 V34, with even more studying.

I want to to hit a score of 730 at least and right now I'm confused on how to get there. I've been using OG/TN-24/GMAT PreP test and e-gmat verbal course for revising and doing questions. However it seems that I can't hit my desired scores.

I personally think that I have a pace issue where in my last exam, for quant I was left with 4 minutes for 6 questions and verbal , 6 minutes for 6 questions.
I currently lost on how to continue as I feel that its perhaps my question doing techniques are wrong. I'm deciding if I should buy the GMAT clubtest for Quant as they show faster ways to solve questions? But if anyone has any suggestions, pls do comment?

PS: I need a Quant score of 49 and above as I'm applying for Masters in Finance.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Staphyk wrote:
Gmatclub test as you said is right for you at this moment. With Q47 I think your basics are good
But have you ordered the ESR?
What resource did you use for Quant especially when you got Q49 in your second attempt?
CoDes wrote:
So I have taken my GMAT thrice
1st attempt: 700 Q47 V38
2nd attempt: 680 Q49 V34, with more studying and practice
3rd attempt: 650 Q47 V34, with even more studying.

I want to to hit a score of 730 at least and right now I'm confused on how to get there. I've been using OG/TN-24/GMAT PreP test and e-gmat verbal course for revising and doing questions. However it seems that I can't hit my desired scores.

I personally think that I have a pace issue where in my last exam, for quant I was left with 4 minutes for 6 questions and verbal , 6 minutes for 6 questions.
I currently lost on how to continue as I feel that its perhaps my question doing techniques are wrong. I'm deciding if I should buy the GMAT clubtest for Quant as they show faster ways to solve questions? But if anyone has any suggestions, pls do comment?

PS: I need a Quant score of 49 and above as I'm applying for Masters in Finance.

Tbh, my second time I was just practicing with TN-24/GMAT Prep and religiously doing questions. In fact, I have done the most questions in the second attempt. Third attempt was mostly trying to complete the SC part of e-gmat.

Curious though, why would you say GMAT club test would be great for me now?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
CoDes wrote:

The "pace issue" can be addressed if you can ensure that you are strong in the fundamentals. This means that you should feel comfortable answering reasonably complicated questions in about two minutes. Achieving this standard will require practice with typical problems and analyses of your approach.

After you have achieved the above to some extent, then do some timed practice sessions.

I suggest that you try not to focus on the actual score. You will get the score you want if you get the other things working. GL!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi CoDes,

First off, your initial 700/Q47 is an outstanding Score, so it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. When applying to Finance Programs, I agree that the higher your Quant Scaled Score, the better... but a retest might not be necessary. Depending on the Schools that you plan to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

That all having been said, there's no harm in continuing to study (with the Goal of scoring higher). GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Your 3 Official Scores show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 680 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. Since these Scores are so similar to one another, it's possible that you have developed some 'bad habits' that are keeping you from scoring higher. To score higher, you're going to have to train to 'see' (and respond to) the GMAT in new ways.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long did you study before each of your Official GMATs? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report for your most recent GMAT. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi CoDes,

First off, your initial 700/Q47 is an outstanding Score, so it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. When applying to Finance Programs, I agree that the higher your Quant Scaled Score, the better... but a retest might not be necessary. Depending on the Schools that you plan to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

That all having been said, there's no harm in continuing to study (with the Goal of scoring higher). GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Your 3 Official Scores show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 680 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. Since these Scores are so similar to one another, it's possible that you have developed some 'bad habits' that are keeping you from scoring higher. To score higher, you're going to have to train to 'see' (and respond to) the GMAT in new ways.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long did you study before each of your Official GMATs? How many hours do you typically study each week?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report for your most recent GMAT. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

Rich

Studies:
I guess I studied 3-4 effective hrs everyday since June.
Mostly just e-gmat for verbal and practice papers like TN-24,GMAT Prep for Quant
Honestly I did so many practice mocks, but they are based off a chinese website and doesn't reflect the same scoring mechanism
Goals:
I plan to take one more GMAT by mid November, then apply by Late November
LSE,LBS,MIT,Princeton for Masters in Finance
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi CoDes,

Based on the information that you've provided, I have a few follow-up questions:

1) On what dates did you take your 3 Official GMATs?
2) Over the last 2 months, have you taken any practice CATs from GMAC (the 6 Official CATs) or from Kaplan, MGMAT or Veritas? On what dates did you take those CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi CoDes,

The good news is that 700 with Q47/V38 is a great start. Given that your score has decreased on your last two GMAT attempts, it’s a sign that you have some lingering weaknesses in both quant and verbal that are dragging down your GMAT score. Thus, to improve your GMAT score, you need to go through GMAT quant and verbal carefully to find your exact weaknesses, fill gaps in your knowledge, and strengthen your skills. The overall process will be to learn all about how to answer question types with which you currently aren't very comfortable, and do dozens of practice questions category by category, basically driving up your score point by point. For example, if you find that you are not strong in answering Number Properties questions, then carefully review the conceptual underpinnings of how to answer Number Properties questions and practice by answering 50 or more questions just from Number Properties: LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, remainders, etc. When you are working on learning to answer questions of a particular type, start off taking your time, and then seek to speed up as you get more comfortable answering questions of that type. As you do such practice, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get right. If you got a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question? By carefully analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your GMAT quant skills. Number Properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant topics.

Each time you strengthen your understanding of a topic and your skill in answering questions of a particular type, you increase your odds of hitting your score goal. You know that there are types of questions that you are happy to see, types that you would rather not see, and types that you take a long time to answer correctly. Learn to more effectively answer the types of questions that you would rather not see, and make them into your favorite types. Learn to correctly answer in two minutes or less questions that you currently take five minutes to answer. By finding, say, a dozen weaker quant areas and turning them into strong areas, you will make great progress toward hitting your quant score goal. If a dozen areas turn out not to be enough, strengthen some more areas.

You can work on verbal in a similar manner. Let’s say you are reviewing Critical Reasoning. Be sure that you practice a large number of Critical Reasoning questions: Strengthen and Weaken the Argument, Resolve the Paradox, find the Conclusion, Must be True, etc. As you go through the questions, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get correct. If you missed a Weaken question, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not recognize what the question was asking? Did you skip over a key detail in an answer choice? Getting GMAT verbal questions right is a matter of what you know, what you see, and what you do. So, any time that you don't get one right, you can seek to identify what you had to know to get the right answer, what you had to see that you didn't see, and what you could have done differently to arrive at the correct answer.

So, work on accuracy and generally finding correct answers, work on specific weaker areas one by one to make them strong areas, and when you take a practice GMAT or the real thing, take all the time per question available to do your absolute best to get right answers consistently. The GMAT is essentially a game of seeing how many right answers you can get in the time allotted. Approach the test with that conception in mind, and focus intently on the question in front of you with one goal in mind: getting a CORRECT answer.

In order to follow the path described above, you may need some new quant and verbal materials, so take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant and verbal courses. You also may find it helpful to read the following article about The Phases of Preparing for the GMAT.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions. Good luck!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1256 [1]
Given Kudos: 402
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
Hmm you can only take gmat 5 times in 365 days and 8 times in lifetime. Consider again when you are to take the 4th.

Egmat is quite good, but in my opinion as non-native speaker, egmat alone is not sufficient to score 700 above. I did all scholaranium twice back in 2017 and scored 680.

Originally posted by freedom128 on 27 Oct 2019, 18:37.
Last edited by freedom128 on 01 Nov 2019, 19:06, edited 3 times in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1256 [0]
Given Kudos: 402
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
If I were you, I would choose mba program in some business schools, that have 700 median/mean score, and concentrate to strengthen my application. Being stuck in increasing gmat doesn't make us progress.

e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30795 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
CoDes, I am sorry to hear that you did not improve as much as you wanted to. Please send us an email at support@e-gmat.com with your ESR and a brief description of how you have prepared. For example, tell us what you prepared from e-GMAT - did you do Stage 1 and 2 in all the sub-sections of verbal? What was your accuracy in easy questions in Scholaranium for each sub-section, medium questions, and hard questions? What is your approach for each type of verbal question? Give us all this information and we will help you ace the test.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30795 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Egmat is quite good, but in my opinion as non-native speaker, egmat alone is not sufficient to score above 700 (I did all scholaranium twice back in 2017 and scored 680).

chondro48 - you are entitled to your opinion, but if you look at data it would { hopefully or not :( } change your opinion that "egmat alone is not sufficient to score above 700".

Data 1: Succes stories on Share GMAT Experience - 11 pages (500 +), predominantly successful students - https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?s ... tag_id=488 . The next best is Magoosh - https://gmatclub.com/forum/search.php?s ... tag_id=493 with nearly not the same mix of successful vs. unsuccessful. Most of these students have scored above 700.

Data 2: Reviews - 1857 vs. fewer than 1000 for everyone. Most partners have fewer than 300. Note, most partners claim to have as many or more students as we do. For example, Empower GMAT claims to have helped 31,000 students. Magoosh - probably more than 500,000 (across courses, but the GMAT would definitely be more than 50,000). our base is ~40,000 students till date.

Data 3: More unedited video interviews on our YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... caQTR6mAia

Does everyone who takes our course succeed - absolutely not .. in the same way, that everyone who goes to HBS does not become a CEO. But a good inference from this data would be that a) numerous people who take our courses do (and score above 700) and there is good evidence of that. Secondly, a higher percentage of those who take our courses succeed.

Again, you are entitled to your opinion and I would not ask you to change the same. I am merely highlighting the data which is there on GMAT Club.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 424 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: ISB '21 LBS '22
GPA: 3.9
WE:Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Per my understanding getting the last 30 points increase (700 - 730) is much more difficult than getting an increase from 600 to 630.
so, I would choose universities that accept a score of 700. I guess a good application can do the trick.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts