Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Booth Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
APRToMBA wrote:
Hello!
I'm early on in my path to business school, but thought early feedback about where I need to be and what's realistic would help me out. Please note that I'm looking at the afternoon/evening program - not full time. My current salary is probably pretty close to the average exit salary for FT, so I can't justify quitting my job, taking two years of lost wages, and paying out of pocket. I also enjoy what I do and like my employer, so PT makes a lot of sense.

Background and nationality
25 Years Old
Male
Half White / Half Korean (should I just put white on any apps? I don't look Korean at all, and I'm not culturally Korean at all.)
First generation college student if that matters

Undergrad Information
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
Bachelor's in Chemical Engineering with a minor in chemistry
2.90 GPA, with a downward trend (3.5 freshman year, 2.5 sophomore year, 2.0 junior year, 3.5 senior year. No F's or W's. Did poorly in engineering classes, did well in humanities and math classes).

I recognize the GPA is going to be a limiting factor and a weak point in my profile. There's a few factors that caused it:
(1) I was a first generation college student. My mother was a single parent that made close to minimum wage for most of my life. My father is mentally handicapped after a traumatic brain injury during a car accident when I as young. I was always working throughout undergrad so I could afford groceries or rent.
(2) When I was 16 and 17 years old, I went to community college. I earned an Associate's degree (3.91 GPA) and transferred the credits to my university. Unfortunately, the 61 credits I transferred to university are not calculated into my GPA - only the credits I took at university. So the easier, intro level classes most people take - they're not part of my 2.90 GPA.
(3) If you take out all my STEM courses, it's like a 3.9. And even between differential calculus, integral calculus, differential equations, and multivariable calculus, it's like a 3.5. I just really sucked at engineering.

Obviously (2) will just come off as whining, so I have no intention to discuss that in any essays. Similarly, (3) will jut come off as being salty and paint me in a negative light, so that's not something I'd discuss in essays either.

GMAT
Haven't taken the exam yet. First attempt on the official practice exam was 710 (Q48, V40), that was before ever studying. I just purchased the OG books and plan to study ~10 hours a week for the next 3-5 months before taking the exam.

Work experience and leadership
2 years as a sales applications engineer at a very very small equipment manufacturer in the environmental industry (<$20MM revenue)
2 years as a product manager at a slightly larger equipment manufacturer in the environmental industry (<$150MM revenue)

I was offered a promotion to become a product manager at company 1, but transitioned to company 2 instead.

The second company is recognized as a leader in my niche industry.

The first position is nothing to write home about, but the second position includes leading a team of 4 (with two direct reports). Responsibilities include defining and implementing product strategy, managing sales and marketing activities, developing sales strategy and product road-map, and acting as the company's technical expert on the product lines I'm responsible for. I have launched several products and acquired a competitor during my two years.

Significant international work experience, especially in Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, and the rest of Southeast Asia.

Community and others
Minimal extra-circulars. I am involved without engineers without borders, but have not taken on a leadership role. Avg 2-4 hours per month.

Post MBA goals
Transition from product management to strategy, preferably at my current employer. Ideally I'd like to end up a C-level in my industry. I am passionate about the environment, but most firms in this industry have used the same path-to-market for 50+ years with little disruption. I believe that anyone making a concerted effort to define the market strategy and develop new market channels will create a successful business, but few firms in the industry have made that concerted effort. I want to be the firm that upends everything.

Anything else?
Eligible to receive my professional engineering license in July 2020.

It seems as if you have overcome some serious obstacles to achieve your current level of career success, and you have a strong profile in many ways. Many top-tier MBA hopefuls will not have your people leadership experience in their application so you should definitely make a point of including that differentiator in your essays. Still, you are right that your low undergrad GPA is a detractor. You are correct about not using #2 or #3 in any sort of "extenuating circumstances" essay. #1, if written in the right sort of accountable and sell-aware way, could be included in an "is there anything else you'd like us to know" type of essay. The best way that you can prove that you can succeed in a high-stakes, rigorously academic testing involvement (i.e., a top-tier MBA) is to prove yourself on the GMAT. Many people find that taking an in-person class at Princeton Review, Manhattan Prep, Kaplan, etc. corresponds to higher scores than self-study. You need to answer LOTS of questions. Also, if you had a nearly perfect non-engineering GPA, you might do really well on the GRE. As long as you make a very high score on the GRE, it won't matter that you took it instead of the GMAT. Most top-tier schools accept both. Given your focus on sustainability, you might look to Duke and Yale as reach schools, assuming you can break into the mid-700s on your GMAT, given the sustainability-focused dual-degree MBA programs at these schools. Lots of top-tier General Management in heavy industry have sustainability-specific roles and recruit from the top schools. Find out more about these programs and which ones recruit at the schools to which you will be applying. Then write about that specific interest in your essays to show that you've really done your homework and know yourself.

Without a firm GMAT score and knowing more about the leadership and impact of your extracurriculars, it's hard to know your chances for sure. It may be helpful for you to discuss your admissions strategy and how to handle your GPA & discussion of your future plans with a consultant. If you feel like a free consultation with a consultant might help you hone in on your application strategy, free free to reach out via the link below. https://admissionado.com and we’ll get into it. Oh and take your time and really sink into the request form, the more stuff you say about your profile, the meatier the chat.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GRE 1: Q158 V155

GRE 2: Q163 V159

GRE 3: Q163 V159
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: Booth Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Get ready for a long post (cause i dont know how to go about these things)

Background and nationality-
26 years , Indian, male, brought up in Canada (only upto grade 7-i dont know if it really matters)

Undergrad Information- Aerospace Engineer -
7.32/10 GPA- top 25% of the class- (university level- TOP 40 in India)

GMAT: 730 ( on 3 gmat prep mocks -- test on Nov 7th with target of 770)

Work experience and leadership - largest public sector bank of the country... State Bank of India (TOP 50 global bank) .. selected as one of the 2000 probationers out of 2 million applicants.

1. Credit analyst- 6 motnhs
Ensuring risk quality and credit quality aspects of proposals appraised keeping in view the credit policy of the bank. Performing industry analysis, due diligence processes, etc. Obtaining and analysing relevant financial information, including operating statements and balance sheets for carrying out CRA exercise/preparation of proposals for underwriting new loans, increasing loan commitments, periodical review or substantive changes in terms.Preparation of reports of Special Mention Accounts (NPA) for submission to the appropriate authorities.
Carrying out inspection of units as and when required and mandated in the loan agreement.Ensuring compliance with the bank’s credit policy, local regulatory requirements and compliance with the central bank. Coordinate with officers handling opreations to ensure timely updating and modification of data/terms and conditions/ date of review/approval etc are in the system as and when such change takes place for ensuring correctness of data and information. Achieved more than 35% growth over existing loan book of the asset management team that I worked in a span of 4 months. Appraised credit facilities to the tune of $99 million (Rs 705 cr). Handled 17 corporates accounts with a total exposure of $244.36 million.

2. Deputy Branch Manager of large branch- 1 year 2 months
Incharge of Branch Operations, the head of staff, and head of personal banking division at the branch level.Was directly responsible for the functioning, training, and working of 8 full time staff members. Was incharge of business development in the areas of customer acquisition, agriculture, bullion backed credit, personal segment advances, deposit mobilisation, and cross selling.
Achievements
MANAGING DIRECTOR’S CLUB- MUTUAL FUNDS- OUSTANDING PERFORMANCE IN Bank's MUTUAL FUNDS- 3RD IN THE STATE AMONG 19853 EMPLOYEES.
GOLD QUALIFIER IN YEAR END CAMPAIGN- MUTUAL FUND- FELICITATED BY CHIEF GENERAL MANAGER.. 7th among 19853 employees.
CHIEF GENERAL MANAGER’S CLUB- SBI GENERAL INSURANCE- TOP 3 IN THE STATE
Adjudged the best Deputy Branch Manager in the Network of 850 branches by the General Manager of the network
Adjudged the best Deputy Branch Manager in the Region of 48 branches by the Assistant General Manager/ Regional Manager

The following are the achievements of the team that I lead as the DBM
Gold loan campaign- Was among the 35 branches that qualified in the national level twice in 2 back to back months
QUALIFIED xyz CAMPAIGN- TOPPER AT THE NETWORK LEVEL AMONG 830 BRANCHES.
Achieved an Audit score of ‘AA’ a rare feat given the current banking scenario in india.
DEPUTY GENERAL MANAGER’S CLUB – NOMINATED BY ALL THE DGMS IN THE STATE TO BE BEST BRANCH AMONG 1300 BRANCHES.

3. Branch Manager – 8 months
As branch manager lead a team of 4 staff members with Rs35 millions of business. Primarily responsible for business development of the branch, functioning of the staff, marketing, appraising MSME credit proposals, ensuring due-diligence of all liability and asset products, and overall security measures of the branch premises.As Branch Manager and team lead, I had along with my team successfully tripled the number of deposit holders in a span of 6 months, increased the agri-gold loan business by 150% over the previous fiscal, sourced and apprised MSME loans to the value of 300% the asset portfolio of the branch, made the branch a 100% digitally banked rural branch from 15% previously by conducting digital awareness programs in the nearby villages, with the help of Sarpanchs ( head of the village level government) and also insured 85% of salaried factory workers from a previous level of 3% a feat appreciated by the GM of the network.

4. Probationary officer - 2 years.
Mandatory time of 2 years of learning of the bank policies and assisting the branch functionaries in business development.
Handled crowds of about 20,000 everyday for 3 months during the demonetization exercise that took place in 2016 (the greatest challenge).
Increased business of a branch by 50%.

Leadership
Leadership (extra-curricular):

1. Organiser and Head of Planning Committee – DEPARTMENT FEST – 2013
Organized and planned the UN international Space week in Aerospace Department. Planned, Created, and set-up events for participation. Coordinated and Managed 50+ volunteers for the success of the technical fest.

2. Joint Secretary and English teacher- a student based NGO- 2012-2013
Was a part of the management team of a student based NGO. As Joint Secretary, I developed syllabus and teaching functions, guidelines for environment awareness focus campaigns , put together the online campaigning strategy, formulated HR policies including setting up of different verticals , conducting interviews for on-boarding of volunteers, conducting induction programs for new volunteers of the newly formed NGO. I had also introduced Volunteer incentive program for extraordinary recognition. I was also given additional responsibility of being in charge of the book wings program where I planned, organized, scheduled classes on a weekly basis for teaching English to under-privileged children.

3. Director & President – student based ngo -2013-2015
As the director of Go Green, I was directly responsible for 200 volunteers. Organized Beach clean-up programs, environmental cleanliness awareness campaigns, water conversation campaigns, animal habitat restoration programs, sanitation awareness programs etc., . As the director, I was in charge of proper policy implementation of the NGO to ensure effective outreach of the awareness campaigns, build relationships with the external agencies for planning events of a larger scale, ensuring that every volunteer is well versed on climate change & sustainable development goals relating to environment and helping the junior volunteers in the on-boarding by conducting induction programs and team building exercises. As the first Director, I had an additional responsibility of formulating polices on succession of the directors and voting of green-captains .

Community and others- (dont know what to write here) - Have a deep connection with nature and environment. Always been an active activist for environmental causes. Have been volunteering for the past 7 years of my life biweekly to raise awareness and continue to do so

Post MBA goals- Want to move to consulting with a specialization in public sector and climate policy and hope to make it to MBB after mba.

Anything else?
Maybe my greatest difficulty was the cultural shock that i faced after moving back from canada. After grade 10 i was put into a boarding school which was literally a jail found it extremely difficult to unleash myself and felt strangled with the rote method learning (probably this doesnt make sense) and was confined to a system where i was suffocated. Despite my achievements at my work place, the same scenario continues.
Reason for moving to usa for a degree in business administration would be learn the ethical values, the ethos of the businesses , and bring those to the indian sub continent and other parts of south east asia.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.6
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
This is for the Booth Scholars Program

I am an Indian male.

Background: Civil Engineering
Undergrad Information: 8.9/10 CGPA, Department Topper for Civil Engineering, Continuous 100% scholarship for all 4 years based on previous years performance.
The college is ranked 37 according to the government of India but it is one of the Top 5 private colleges in India. I chose it because of the scholarship and distance from my home.
GMAT: 710 (Q49 V38 AWA5 IR8) first attempt(was sick that day) and 770 (Q50 V45 AWA5 IR8) on the second attempt
WE: no full-time work experience as I am applying for the deferred programme
Leadership: Have been actively involved in numerous activities on campus. Most notably I have worked for three years organising the annual Model United Nations Conference where I worked my way up to the position of Director-General with over 100 people working under me. I am also the president of the Entrepreneurship Club of the University and have organised multiple one of a kind events and interactions on campus. Also involved in the Student Chapters of multiple organizations in various capacities. I am one of two the elected class representatives for my batch.

Outside of campus, I have also been involved in social work. I have worked for two years with an NGO working for the rights of women and children in mainly an editorial role but contributing on the ground as and when required.
I have completed my certifications in Lean Management and Lean Six Sigma from the British Standards Institute as well as many certifications in Data Presentation and Project Management from Coursera.

Post MBA Goals: Finance has always been of great interest to me. I want to get into Venture Capital (maybe Impact Investing in particular) as I have always been interested in entrepreneurship and I like meeting new people and listening to new ideas. India is a great growth market for VC and I want to come back to India and contribute to the growth story here.

I am flexible in terms of Post MBA goals since I know VC is tough to break into and might take time. For the short term, I'd be interested in the Capital projects and Infrastructure or Private Equity Practices at MBB firms or a role at an early stage startup after seeing my fit

I plan to work in an early stage startup or a VC fund in the two year after graduating and start my CFA.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Literally just finished my GMAT. Would appreciate a review of my chances of getting in. Contemplating applying in round 2.

Background

Work experience:

Past - 3 years in a Malaysian investment bank (2nd biggest in the country), working in Corporate Finance (similar to work done in bulge bracket IB's but focusing on local companies and with a bit more emphasis towards regulatory submissions - eg: drafting the Prospectus and application to the SEC). Came in via the bank's management trainee programme.

Current - 1.5 years in a life science VC fund (Main LP is my country's sovereign wealth fund. Invests across the life science spectrum (medtech, pharma, clean tech, agri etc) focusing on companies in the US and EU.

Extracurriculars: Managed the student lounge at my university then stood for campus elections and became the Head of the welfare department in Monash. Ran the volunteer programme for my investment banks management trainees for about 1.5 years (part of the requirement for the management trainees is to fulfil certain CSR requirements. I headed the team that gave them their postings, found organisations/events to send our trainees to and ensured their timely and proper completion of their requirements).

Undergrad school/major: Monash University (Malaysian campus) / Accounting and Finance

side note - flunked out of an earlier attempt at university (TLDR; pushed into the sciences my whole life by parents, wasn't passionate about it, showed when I entered university to do engineering, hence flunking out. Ironic considering I currently work in a life science VC haha). Took a break and worked for a while (8 months) while contemplating my goals in life and what was important to me before deciding to study Accounting and Finance in Monash.

Other education/coursework: CFA Charterholder

Race/nationality: Indian / Malaysian (Would I be compared against other Indian students, or be compared against South East Asians?)

Sex: Male

Stats

GMAT Score (include breakdown!): 750 (49Q / 42V / 6IR)

Undergrad GPA: 3.75

MBA Info

Goal of MBA: My intention with an MBA is to (i) learn - specifically, building data/analytics skills (being away from work for 2 years would surely make this easier); and (ii) move into consulting. My end goal (10-15 years time) is to be at a decision making/strategy level in my countries public investment institutions (think sovereign wealth funds, public retirement funds and the like). In order to do that, I would need to equip myself with the relevant knowledge and work experiences that would enable me to contribute effectively and drive progress within these institutions. These institutions have a national level impact and would be my way of contributing to the country, as small as it might be. Consultancy seems the obvious next step seeing as its an environment of non-stop learning, ensuring that I would be equipped with the necessary knowledge to contribute effectively on a national level. Tried applying, but only had an interview with one (failed at the final interview). I reckon an MBA would significantly boost my chances. Aiming to work in consulting (MBB being the target) in SEA (Singapore, if not, Malaysia or Indonesia) post-MBA.

Thank you!!
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
Just on your stats alone, I would encourage you to apply but you also have a terrific fit factor with Booth very interesting goals interesting ECs.

There seems to be some leadership here which is positive of course. Booth is kind of an academically minded School, but I do think that you could write a bit about your first attempt at college and it would be fine. Your GPA, CFA and GMAT will erase that pretty much or any concerns they might have I believe.

Are you going to try to get other interviews, or was the final outcome enough to convince you that you needed more prep with case interviews? Or that you're just going to go to the MBA route? I see your need for an MBA more for the long-term goal than the short-term. But you'd have a better read on on than I would.

Do some research on which Consulting firms will allow you to recruit into a specific practice area, ie Oliver Wyman, and speak to that informing your long term goal.

mkipa1 wrote:
Literally just finished my GMAT. Would appreciate a review of my chances of getting in. Contemplating applying in round 2.

Background

Work experience:

Past - 3 years in a Malaysian investment bank (2nd biggest in the country), working in Corporate Finance (similar to work done in bulge bracket IB's but focusing on local companies and with a bit more emphasis towards regulatory submissions - eg: drafting the Prospectus and application to the SEC). Came in via the bank's management trainee programme.

Current - 1.5 years in a life science VC fund (Main LP is my country's sovereign wealth fund. Invests across the life science spectrum (medtech, pharma, clean tech, agri etc) focusing on companies in the US and EU.

Extracurriculars: Managed the student lounge at my university then stood for campus elections and became the Head of the welfare department in Monash. Ran the volunteer programme for my investment banks management trainees for about 1.5 years (part of the requirement for the management trainees is to fulfil certain CSR requirements. I headed the team that gave them their postings, found organisations/events to send our trainees to and ensured their timely and proper completion of their requirements).

Undergrad school/major: Monash University (Malaysian campus) / Accounting and Finance

side note - flunked out of an earlier attempt at university (TLDR; pushed into the sciences my whole life by parents, wasn't passionate about it, showed when I entered university to do engineering, hence flunking out. Ironic considering I currently work in a life science VC haha). Took a break and worked for a while (8 months) while contemplating my goals in life and what was important to me before deciding to study Accounting and Finance in Monash.

Other education/coursework: CFA Charterholder

Race/nationality: Indian / Malaysian (Would I be compared against other Indian students, or be compared against South East Asians?)

Sex: Male

Stats

GMAT Score (include breakdown!): 750 (49Q / 42V / 6IR)

Undergrad GPA: 3.75

MBA Info

Goal of MBA: My intention with an MBA is to (i) learn - specifically, building data/analytics skills (being away from work for 2 years would surely make this easier); and (ii) move into consulting. My end goal (10-15 years time) is to be at a decision making/strategy level in my countries public investment institutions (think sovereign wealth funds, public retirement funds and the like). In order to do that, I would need to equip myself with the relevant knowledge and work experiences that would enable me to contribute effectively and drive progress within these institutions. These institutions have a national level impact and would be my way of contributing to the country, as small as it might be. Consultancy seems the obvious next step seeing as its an environment of non-stop learning, ensuring that I would be equipped with the necessary knowledge to contribute effectively on a national level. Tried applying, but only had an interview with one (failed at the final interview). I reckon an MBA would significantly boost my chances. Aiming to work in consulting (MBB being the target) in SEA (Singapore, if not, Malaysia or Indonesia) post-MBA.

Thank you!!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the review. Definitely allayed some of my concerns. Regarding your comment, I did consider re-applying to MBB, but the reality is that the chance of me getting through is slim. I believe I would be better served by doing an MBA and joining at an associate position through the MBA programmes of the various consulting firms. The OCR offered by MBA programmes is a huge reason i'm considering doing an MBA of course. As for the MBA itself, it would serve both short and long-term goals.

MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Just on your stats alone, I would encourage you to apply but you also have a terrific fit factor with Booth very interesting goals interesting ECs.

There seems to be some leadership here which is positive of course. Booth is kind of an academically minded School, but I do think that you could write a bit about your first attempt at college and it would be fine. Your GPA, CFA and GMAT will erase that pretty much or any concerns they might have I believe.

Are you going to try to get other interviews, or was the final outcome enough to convince you that you needed more prep with case interviews? Or that you're just going to go to the MBA route? I see your need for an MBA more for the long-term goal than the short-term. But you'd have a better read on on than I would.

Do some research on which Consulting firms will allow you to recruit into a specific practice area, ie Oliver Wyman, and speak to that informing your long term goal.

Send PM
Expert Reply
Okay well what I'm communicating is that you will need to articulate how the MBA is needed for your short-term goal quite clearly, and that you couldn't get there on your own now because it might seem like you gave up after your first try. If you have solid reasoning for why you would not get through, make sure to fully articulate that in your goals essays. Good luck to you I'm glad that this allayed some of your concerns. You're a very strong candidate, get in touch with me if you're interested in working with someone.
mkipa1 wrote:
Thanks for the review. Definitely allayed some of my concerns. Regarding your comment, I did consider re-applying to MBB, but the reality is that the chance of me getting through is slim. I believe I would be better served by doing an MBA and joining at an associate position through the MBA programmes of the various consulting firms. The OCR offered by MBA programmes is a huge reason i'm considering doing an MBA of course. As for the MBA itself, it would serve both short and long-term goals.

MBAPrepCoach wrote:

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ahh, I see.Noted on that, will work on communicating my intentions woth the MBA. Sure thing, will contact you should I need mire asistande with the application.
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Okay well what I'm communicating is that you will need to articulate how the MBA is needed for your short-term goal quite clearly, and that you couldn't get there on your own now because it might seem like you gave up after your first try. If you have solid reasoning for why you would not get through, make sure to fully articulate that in your goals essays. Good luck to you I'm glad that this allayed some of your concerns. You're a very strong candidate, get in touch with me if you're interested in working with someone

Send PM
Expert Reply
Just to be more clear, not just your intentions but how this is a requirement and not taking time off work. Because your work background is so strong I would be asking myself cant this guy get interviews? I think on campus recruitment is something you'll want to mention but I think that might seem a bit superficial you will also want to speak to why you need connections, why you dont have them now, or maybe more poignant, if you feel as though you need an MBA/case prep to create the right frameworks to help you pass case interviews. Capiche?

mkipa1 wrote:
Ahh, I see.Noted on that, will work on communicating my intentions woth the MBA. Sure thing, will contact you should I need mire asistande with the application.
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Okay well what I'm communicating is that you will need to articulate how the MBA is needed for your short-term goal quite clearly, and that you couldn't get there on your own now because it might seem like you gave up after your first try. If you have solid reasoning for why you would not get through, make sure to fully articulate that in your goals essays. Good luck to you I'm glad that this allayed some of your concerns. You're a very strong candidate, get in touch with me if you're interested in working with someone

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ahhh noted. Hear you loud and clear. Makes a lot of sense. xD

MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Just to be more clear, not just your intentions but how this is a requirement and not taking time off work. Because your work background is so strong I would be asking myself cant this guy get interviews? I think on campus recruitment is something you'll want to mention but I think that might seem a bit superficial you will also want to speak to why you need connections, why you dont have them now, or maybe more poignant, if you feel as though you need an MBA/case prep to create the right frameworks to help you pass case interviews. Capiche?
Send PM
Expert Reply
whats up with xD ? you mockin me? excerpt from My Cousin Vinny
mkipa1 wrote:
Ahhh noted. Hear you loud and clear. Makes a lot of sense. xD

MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V44
Send PM
<deleted>

Originally posted by burnermba64 on 20 Oct 2019, 07:37.
Last edited by burnermba64 on 12 Sep 2021, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Hi
Undergraduate degree: Mathematics Hons, Kirori Mal College
GMAT Score: 730
Academic: CFA level 2 cleared
Work experience: ZS (1 year) and Grail Research (2 and half years) Strategic research and consulting

Sia Admissions Representative
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Hemangini,

Thank you for your post.

You have interesting data points competitive for Booth. That said, the application process is holistic, and admission and fit are dependent on more than data points. That means that the narrative and what propels you forward will be very important in setting you apart from the crowd of the highly ambitious and talented candidate pool in your demographic.

I welcome you to take advantage of our 30-minute free profile evaluation so we can discuss your ambitions and help you take the appropriate next steps. If you are interested and would find it helpful, please reach out.

Good luck!

Susan

Hemangini wrote:
Hi
Undergraduate degree: Mathematics Hons, Kirori Mal College
GMAT Score: 730
Academic: CFA level 2 cleared
Work experience: ZS (1 year) and Grail Research (2 and half years) Strategic research and consulting

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hi - I am applying to Booth Weekend MBA program and would love to know my chances. Am I too late in applying for the Spring quarter considering the deadline is Jan 6th and admissions are rolling?

Background: 28 year old Indian American Male

Education: Ivy League University (Cornell/Brown/Penn), 3.1GPA (weakest part of app, low freshman year GPA due to acclimation to college but general upward trend)

Chartered Financial analyst (passed all 3 levels on first attempt)

Work Experience: Equity trader for 6 years at a large asset management firm managing roughly $75B in assets (one promotion)

Post-MBA goals: Transition to equity analyst role from equity trading at same firm

GMAT: 720 (Q49/V39/IR7/AWA6)

Let me know if further info is needed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.6
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
This is for the Booth Scholars Program

I am an Indian male.

Background: Civil Engineering
Undergrad Information: 8.9/10 CGPA, Department Topper for Civil Engineering, Continuous 100% scholarship for all 4 years based on previous years performance.
The college is ranked 37 according to the government of India but it is one of the Top 5 private colleges in India. I chose it because of the scholarship and distance from my home.
GMAT: 710 (Q49 V38 AWA5 IR8) first attempt(was sick that day) and 770 (Q50 V45 AWA5 IR8) on the second attempt
WE: no full-time work experience as I am applying for the deferred programme
Leadership: Have been actively involved in numerous activities on campus. Most notably I have worked for three years organising the annual Model United Nations Conference where I worked my way up to the position of Director-General with over 100 people working under me. I am also the president of the Entrepreneurship Club of the University and have organised multiple one of a kind events and interactions on campus. Also involved in the Student Chapters of multiple organizations in various capacities. I am one of two the elected class representatives for my batch.

Outside of campus, I have also been involved in social work. I have worked for two years with an NGO working for the rights of women and children in mainly an editorial role but contributing on the ground as and when required.
I have completed my certifications in Lean Management and Lean Six Sigma from the British Standards Institute as well as many certifications in Data Presentation and Project Management from Coursera.

Post MBA Goals: Finance has always been of great interest to me. I want to get into Venture Capital (maybe Impact Investing in particular) as I have always been interested in entrepreneurship and I like meeting new people and listening to new ideas. India is a great growth market for VC and I want to come back to India and contribute to the growth story here.

I am flexible in terms of Post MBA goals since I know VC is tough to break into and might take time. For the short term, I'd be interested in the Capital projects and Infrastructure or Private Equity Practices at MBB firms or a role at an early stage startup after seeing my fit

I plan to work in an early stage startup or consulting in the two years after graduating and start my CFA.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi Experts,

Request you to please review my profile.

Background:
Indian Male
Age 27
GMAT 720 (Q50, V38)
Industry: Strategy Manager in a SoftBank funded multi-billion dollar startup

Education:
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from IIT Delhi (CGPA – 7.0)

Work Experience:
Total 5 years (4 years in India, 1 year in SE Asia)

Worked for over 2 years in a social sector consulting startup and 1 year in an election campaign strategy firm (a SuperPAC). Worked for 1 year as a management consultant with top tier organisation consulting firm. Working in a strategy role for a high growth internationally well known startup based out of SE Asia.

Extra curriculars – Won international competitions and worked on two international projects in Europe. Worked as Coordinator in various campus festivals and a student association club.

Post MBA Goal – Strategy Consulting or Strategy role in industry

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  15   
Moderators:
Booth & Sloan Moderator
38 posts
Booth and Haas Moderator
44 posts