Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:55 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30791 [33]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30791 [0]
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72879 [1]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30791 [9]
Send PM
What causes success on the GMAT? [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
bb – thank you for chiming in. The number of questions a student needs to solve depends on a few factors. Before we go into these factors, I would like to clarify that we count the number of questions that a student solves in Scholaranium as practice (i.e. stage 2 of learning). The questions solved while going through our video course are considered as a part of learning concepts and application.

fanfan1247 (770, V42) – 196 Questions – Practice files scores (78%)
rsmalan (760, V41) – 56 Questions – Practice file scores (84%)
rohan2345 (720, V42) – 337 Questions – Practice file scores (94%)

1. Starting score
Students who start at a lower score need to solve more questions than those who start at a higher score. Let’s take three different students. For example, rohan2345 started at V23, then improved to a V39, and finally scored a V42. Even though the quality of rohan2345's attempt in first stage is the best, his starting point was a lot lower than rsmalan's or fanfan1247's (both of them started at V30+).

2. Quality of Learning in Stage 1
This is very logical – if you learn the concepts well and learn how to apply them (i.e. learn methods) while learning concepts, then you don’t need to practice as many questions. For example, rsmalan learned the concepts really well, spending more time on areas where he needed additional clarity. This contributed in a big way in him attaining that 70th percentile in stage 1 – learning concepts and application.

fanfan1247, on the other hand, had lower scores in some files in stage 1 and consequently had to solve more questions in stage 2.

3. Quality of review

With every mistake one makes, one needs to figure out the exact cause. rohit did that really well. jim did that in his second attempt. Because of this strategic review – fanfan1247 was able to isolate the areas he needed to work on and was able to improve from V34 to V42 in just a couple of weeks.

The bottom line here is that regardless of where you start – whether at a V20 or a V30, once you build a foundation and learn the method, you can reach the 90th percentile after solving a few hundred questions. In addition to the right foundation, the key to this improvement is doing a proper strategic review to isolate the cause of the mistake and taking corrective action to ensure that you don’t repeat the same.
Students who solve 1000s of questions feel the need to do so because they 1) jump into solving questions to learn concepts and methods and 2) don’t do a proper review when they make a mistake.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools: SMU '21 (S)
Send PM
Re: What causes success on the GMAT? [#permalink]
Hello there
This post is sooo interesting

I have to give my gmat on December 30 th and I have exactly 60 days left

I have the ogs and og vr and qr 2020 and bought the egmat course I recently started the egmat course a week ago and have completed 70% of the SC PORTION

I am taking this article to heart and going to study each concept and each and every aspect of the course as mentioned by you all in this article

My biggest fear : will I be able to finish the egmat course in time for my test day o.e, 60 days from now given that I have only 70% of sc completed with still entire verbal left and quant as well with concepts and mocks and scholarium practises all left

Please help me in getting clarity so that I can be confident proceeding further

This will be my first time doing the test

I have been putting in 4-5 hours on weekdays and 6 hours on weekends solid prep the past 8 days

Posted from my mobile device
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30791 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Nitishnautiyal - thank you for appreciating this post. I am glad that you liked it. Make sure that you read this article a couple of times as you would need it.

Short answer
If you put in the hours you mentioned - 4 hours on weekdays and 6 hours on the weekend ~ 30 hours per week then, in all probability, you should be able to reach your target score in 2 months (or sooner). Note, this assumes that you do the course well, incorporating the feedback you receive every 30 minutes. One other thing - make your study plan using the GMAT planner.

One of the other things you probably inferred from the article is that those who do the course well don't need to solve hundreds of questions. Take a look at Rohit's course attempts. Look at the ~100 points of feedback in the SC course that he received. You would also notice that he did not solve hundreds of questions. Bottom line - good foundation == faster score improvement.

Rohit's debrief: https://gmatclub.com/forum/from-v27-to-v41-308029.html

hopefully, this helps.

-Rajat
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts