Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [5]
Given Kudos: 178
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.94
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618935 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [2]
Given Kudos: 178
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.94
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: The number of aircraft collisions on the ground is increasing because [#permalink]
My apologies Vassaku
while I was rewriting the prompt from the LSAT book I must accidentally omitted the 'f' from 'flights', resulting in 'lights'. I have checked the rest of prompt against the book and it should be fine.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 707 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Re: The number of aircraft collisions on the ground is increasing because [#permalink]
Vassaku wrote:
I chose A over B thinking that ensuring future unrestricted access will work with removing restricted access, but I guess it's wrong because airlines will continue to remove restricted seating anyway.

Can someone please explain why B is right? I don't see how lights affect the argument. Is it meant to be "flights"? That would make more sense to me as fewer flights, less chance of ground collision.

Someone please help! Thank you!

Posted from my mobile device

Hi,
My reasoning is the following: The goal is to reduce the number of fatalities. So what is mentioned in option B would actually help even if there weren't any modification on the airplanes discussed.
Let's think about an airplane fliying and often reporting a ground collision. If we can limit the number of such flights we will prevent as well the number of collisions.

Hope this help
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1601 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Xin Cho wrote:
The number of aircraft collisions on the ground is increasing because of the substantial increase in the number of flights operated by the airlines. Many of the fatalities that occur in such collisions are caused not by the collision itself, but by an inherent flaw in the cabin design of most aircraft, in which seats, by restricting access to emergency exits, impede escape. Therefore, to reduce the total number of fatalities that result annually from such collisions, the airlines should be required to remove all seats that restrict access to emergency exits.

Which one of the following proposals, if implemented together with the proposal made in the passage, would improve the prospects for achieving the stated objective of reducing fatalities?

Using POE, we can eliminate C, D, and E as they all are irrelevant to be the correct answer.

We need to understand question carefully before jumping to the answer choices. Questions says "Which one of the following proposals, if implemented together with the

proposal made in the passage,"
. This is why answer choice A is wrong. Answer choice A is the same as the planned proposal in the premise. But we want second plan

that can be combined with the proposal in the passage to reduce fatalities.

Now, why B is correct? Look at the premise: "Many of the fatalities that occur in such collisions are caused not by the collision itself". This means some fatalities may

caused by collision itself. Passage also says that "The number of aircraft collisions on the ground is increasing because of the substantial increase in the number of flights"

. This means the second proposal can be "Not to increase flights in order to accommodate few more passengers who are lost during the change in cabin design".
. B says the same.

(A) The airlines should be required, when buying new planes, to buy only planes with unrestricted access to emergency exits.

This is the same proposal mentioned in the passage. We need the second plan together with this plan.

(B) The airlines should not be permitted to increase further the number of flights in order to offset the decrease in the number of seats on each aircraft.

Correct

(C) Airport authorities should be required to streamline their passenger check-in procedures to accommodate the increased number of passengers served by the airlines.

Not relevant

(D) Airport authorities should be required to refine security precautions by making them less conspicuous without making them less effective.

Not relevant

(E) The airlines should not be allowed to increase the ticket price for each passenger to offset the decrease in the number of seats on each aircraft.

Not relevant
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 615
Send PM
Xin Cho wrote:
The number of aircraft collisions on the ground is increasing because of the substantial increase in the number of flights operated by the airlines. Many of the fatalities that occur in such collisions are caused not by the collision itself, but by an inherent flaw in the cabin design of most aircraft, in which seats, by restricting access to emergency exits, impede escape. Therefore, to reduce the total number of fatalities that result annually from such collisions, the airlines should be required to remove all seats that restrict access to emergency exits.

Which one of the following proposals, if implemented together with the proposal made in the passage, would improve the prospects for achieving the stated objective of reducing fatalities?

(A) The airlines should be required, when buying new planes, to buy only planes with unrestricted access to emergency exits.
(B) The airlines should not be permitted to increase further the number of flights in order to offset the decrease in the number of seats on each aircraft.
(C) Airport authorities should be required to streamline their passenger check-in procedures to accommodate the increased number of passengers served by the airlines.
(D) Airport authorities should be required to refine security precautions by making them less conspicuous without making them less effective.
(E) The airlines should not be allowed to increase the ticket price for each passenger to offset the decrease in the number of seats on each aircraft.

Source: PrepTest 9, October 1993 LSAT, Section 2, Question 10

Two factors are responsible for fatalities --> collision (increase in number of flights)+ inherent flaw in the cabin design of most aircraft(because of seats)
If you address 2nd problem it will work to some extent. But what about when the airlines increase the number of flights ,still there will be fatalities resulting from collisions
Hence, 1st the first problem should be addressed ,resulting in improving the prospects to reduce the total number of fatalities
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts