Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5205 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Wasted second attempt too [#permalink]
aastha3344gmat wrote:
To start with, I have done btech in CSE in 2018 and then on working in an IT firm. I gave my GMAT (first) in June 2019 and scored 580(Q48,V23,IR4) and then gave my second attempt yesterday and again scored 580(Q48,V23,IR2).
I am interested in Mim programs in Canada.
Can I get a decent college in Canada or I should give up my idea of pursuing masters at all.

Confused.
Any suggestion will help.

If I can get colleges then please mention the names and also should I cancel my score this time as I got less in IR than previous time.

Posted from my mobile device

Hi aastha3344gmat,

I think you should try to give another attempt and target a score of 650+ to get into a decent college. While no business school will discourage you from applying with a score of 580 to their program, a higher score will certainly improve your chances of getting into a good school.

All the best!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [0]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
Wasted second attempt too [#permalink]
aastha3344gmat wrote:
To start with, I have done btech in CSE in 2018 and then on working in an IT firm. I gave my GMAT (first) in June 2019 and scored 580(Q48,V23,IR4) and then gave my second attempt yesterday and again scored 580(Q48,V23,IR2).
Can I get a decent college in Canada or I should give up my idea of pursuing masters at all.

Confused.

If I can get colleges then please mention the names and also should I cancel my score this time as I got less in IR than previous time.

Not many details about your experience with the GMAT other than some scores. How was your prep? How serious was it? What were the methods you used? etc.

While 580 may be above the mean score, it will be challenging to gain admission with this score. There are programs that may accept a lower score, but the road after than may be tougher. Improving the score should be your objective.

Please do research on your own to locate schools and their requirements. After all, you want to do graduate studies and people have higher expectations for potential students of these programs. Asking others to do the work for you does not come across well. GL!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
What’s your GPA?Canadian schools are very particular about gpa’s
Also for Mim programs you should be mindful of your AWA score
aastha3344gmat wrote:

Confused.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi aastha3344gmat,

As far as your GMAT Score is concerned, GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Your 2 Official Scores are essentially identical - and they show that you performed in much the same way both times you took the Exam (580 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. If you want to score significantly higher than 580, then you are going to have to make some fundamental changes to how you 'see' (and respond to) the GMAT. In simple terms, if you continue to study in the same ways as before, then you will likely earn the same general Score.

The process of applying to (and ultimately attending) School will require a big investment of time, money and energy on your part, so you really should make sure that the Programs that you apply to match your career goals/needs. There are a variety of factors that go into selecting the Schools that you'll apply to. Instead of just applying to Programs in which you might have a good chance to 'get in', here are some other things to think about:

1) Is there a particular company that you want to work for or industry that you want to work in? Certain degrees are more appropriate than others if you have a specific career goal.
2) What do you want your Degree to do for you?
3) Do you want to go to School full-time or part-time?
4) Are you willing to relocate? Are you comfortable with working through a program that is primarily online?
5) Are you going to be applying for scholarships?
Etc.

It's okay if you don't have answers to any of these questions just yet, but you really should try to define all of the important variables in terms of your goals, so that you can tailor your entire approach to getting into the best School that matches what you're looking for.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22049 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi aatha3344gmat,

I’m sorry to hear how things have been going with your GMAT. Since you are asking an admissions based question, you may find it helpful to reach out to one of the many admissions consultants here on GMAT. If it turns out that you do need to retake your GMAT, feel free to reach back out, and I’d be happy to help.

Good luck!
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
aastha3344gmat – I am sorry to hear that your score did not improve on the GMAT. I recommend that you seriously consider retaking the test if you want to study at a good school. Now let’s see how we can help you improve.

Focus your efforts on Verbal?

aastha3344gmat – since you already have a Q48, you need to focus most of your energy on improving Verbal. Did you reach out to our support team asking for a study plan help? What were your concept and application file scores in the courses? What were your scores in Scholaranium – accuracies in Easy/Medium/Hard questions?

I also want you to take a look at the article below to learn what people who ace the GMAT do. Take a look at the three stages of learning and the metrics that one should track to excel in these stages.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/what-causes- ... 08108.html

Remember, GMAT is a very logical test. Those who don’t give up ace the test and reap the benefits of the same.

-Rajat
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Send PM
Staphyk
my GPA is 3.3 and my AWA score is 4.5
I just want to know that going to tier 2 colleges or any other college is same in canada?
As I read somewhere that only top 3 universities are good, all other are just the same with little differences.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1256 [0]
Given Kudos: 402
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
I think just apply two or more MIM programs in Canada. Universities in Canada tends to be more forgiving (or less emphasizing) in GMAT score requirement.

Good luck.

CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
aastha3344gmat wrote:
I gave my GMAT (first) in June 2019 and scored 580(Q48,V23,IR4) and then gave my second attempt yesterday and again scored 580(Q48,V23,IR2).

Aastha, how much were you scoring in mocks? Which specific sections in Verbal bother you the most?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts