Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

If you are admitted in both MSx and SFMBA, which school and program would you choose?

71% [80]
28% [32]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [6]
Given Kudos: 118
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V56
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [1]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: Calling Stanford MSX candidates (2020 Intake) Graduating Class of 2021 [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Hi Hadamard,

I will be applying to the MSx program this year in R1. I appeared for my GMAT today and scored a below par 720 (Q49, V40). I had consistently scored 750+ on all my 6 GMAT Prep tests and honestly the real score is a setback.

I am Indian with a MBA degree from a top 20 BSchool in India. Have more than 10 years of work ex now. 3 years as an entrepreneur and another 7 working in the digital/startup industry in India. Currently, I work for a startup valued at more than 20Bn dollars and head a business ( with tech, business, sales and marketing team reporting to me).

I am keen to understand my chances of getting into this program. And if I should reappear for GMAT. I have heard that for Indian males the GMAT scores are typically higher to get admission in top BSchools but since MSx is a program for middle-senior executives, I believe this benchmark could be a little different. Could you help me understand what typical backgrounds do Indians from your current batch come from and if my GMAT score is at par with them? I am really confused if I should retake the test or focus on my apps.

Regards,
A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Send PM
Re: Calling Stanford MSX candidates (2020 Intake) Graduating Class of 2021 [#permalink]
Bookmarks
ankur200 wrote:
Hi Hadamard,

I am really confused if I should retake the test or focus on my apps.

Ankur200,

30-40 additional points on GMAT is not going to make any difference. For my Indian classmates I do not see any "pattern" except that they are really high-achievers. Given your startup experience, seems like you might fit the high-achiever mold.

Here are some important questions to ponder over when writing your essays:

- What was your favorite memory from Stanford campus visit?
- What unique life-story can you contribute to your MSx cohort that no one else can?
- What do you hope to do after MSx?

Hope this helps you get started on your application.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi Hadamard,

Thanks for starting this thread. I am looking at applying this year. I have an eerily similar profile to that of Ankur200! Business Head with large consumer internet (Fintech) company. Work ex of 14 years - mostly banking & internet start-ups (including an entrepreneurial stint). GMAT 710

From what I have read, it seems Stanford has relatively younger avg. age compared to MIT program. However, it seems, Stanford has a higher share of self funded candidates compared to MIT Sloan (I think 50% are company sponsored). I am likely to be Self sponsored.

It'd also be good if you could throw some light on roles the outgoing batch of SF students have taken after the Program. I did check LinkedIn profiles of some of the recent candidates but it doesn't look like it has been updated for most (or may be they're yet to join). It would be good to understand from you.

Cheers and enjoy the Program!

D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Send PM
Justanotherday wrote:
Hi Hadamard,

Thanks for starting this thread. I am looking at applying this year. I have an eerily similar profile to that of Ankur200! Business Head with large consumer internet (Fintech) company. Work ex of 14 years - mostly banking & internet start-ups (including an entrepreneurial stint). GMAT 710

From what I have read, it seems Stanford has relatively younger avg. age compared to MIT program. However, it seems, Stanford has a higher share of self funded candidates compared to MIT Sloan (I think 50% are company sponsored). I am likely to be Self sponsored.

It'd also be good if you could throw some light on roles the outgoing batch of SF students have taken after the Program. I did check LinkedIn profiles of some of the recent candidates but it doesn't look like it has been updated for most (or may be they're yet to join). It would be good to understand from you.

D

Based on my discussions with Career Management Center at Stanford, MSx students are far more adventurous. We prefer founding our own startup or joining a risky, fast-rising startup rather than join Facebook / Dropbox / AirBnb.

If since your profile is similar to Ankur200, make sure you apply before him to get better shot at admission ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools: ISB '21 (I)
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V42
Send PM
Hi Hadamard,

I am a Post Graduate in Commerce. I have a work ex of nearly 12 years, in BFSI vertical. I joined as a Probationary Officer in SBI and worked there for 7+ years in corporate credit. Last year I quit SBI in search of a more challenging/meaningful role. As of now, I am working with a Startup as their Credit and Finance head. The firm is into providing financial solutions to corporates and auditing of PSU Banks. My GMAT score is 720.

What do you think about my profile as I plan to apply i R-1?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Send PM
the1aspirant wrote:
Hi Hadamard,

I am a Post Graduate in Commerce. I have a work ex of nearly 12 years, in BFSI vertical. I joined as a Probationary Officer in SBI and worked there for 7+ years in corporate credit. Last year I quit SBI in search of a more challenging/meaningful role. As of now, I am working with a Startup as their Credit and Finance head. The firm is into providing financial solutions to corporates and auditing of PSU Banks. My GMAT score is 720.

Thanks for the background. I am not sure I understand following things about your profile:

1) What impact did you make in the startup? One year seems like too short a time to make any meaningful impact.
2) Why are you quitting after just one year at the startup?

You can DM if you are more comfortable talking privately.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I messaged you however there was no reply from your end. Did you get my message?

Hadamard wrote:
the1aspirant wrote:
Hi Hadamard,

Thanks for the background. I am not sure I understand following things about your profile:

1) What impact did you make in the startup? One year seems like too short a time to make any meaningful impact.
2) Why are you quitting after just one year at the startup?

You can DM if you are more comfortable talking privately.

MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Welcome all MSx folks. Just added deadlines and stats table in the main post.

BTW, R1 submission deadline is tomorrow. Good luck to all. Do update us here on the thread once you submit your app.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thanks Hadamard for your input. I managed to catch the R1 deadline. Anyone else here who's applied in R1?

Hadamard wrote:
Justanotherday wrote:
Hi Hadamard,

D

Based on my discussions with Career Management Center at Stanford, MSx students are far more adventurous. We prefer founding our own startup or joining a risky, fast-rising startup rather than join Facebook / Dropbox / AirBnb.

If since your profile is similar to Ankur200, make sure you apply before him to get better shot at admission ;)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Just plonked mine in! :please
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [1]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Good luck fbhbo! :please
fbhbo wrote:
Just plonked mine in! :please
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
I applied for R1 too!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
any updates? any roll outs for anyone?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Been rather quiet from the GSB end! Nervous times.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
fbhbo wrote:
Been rather quiet from the GSB end! Nervous times.

Im chewing my finger nails too!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
Wrote to Stanford to check if any updates. They said watch out for emails on 13 Nov.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Thank you for checking! Does anyone know how many applicants they had in this round?

GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts