Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:05 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [52]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [17]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
Given Kudos: 287
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 106
Schools: Ivey
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
Send PM
Re: After Junko lay down, having finished a hard day's work, sleep [#permalink]
Kudos
After Junko lay down, having finished a hard day's work, sleep descended on her like a soft blanket.

I think the correct answer should be B.

A) having finished a hard day's work, sleep descended on her
The modifier "having finished..." seems to be modifying "sleep. so, incorrect.

B) having finished a hard day's work, she felt sleep descend on her
Correct.

C) sleep descended on her having finished a hard day's work
The sentence "having finished a hard day's work like a soft blanket" does not make sense. Incorrect.

D) having finished a hard day's work, sleep had descended on her
Same as A. Also, use of past perfect is not right. Incorrect.

E) having completed a hard day's work, sleep descended on her
Same as A. Incorrect.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1344 [1]
Given Kudos: 607
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:
After Junko lay down, having finished a hard day's work, sleep descended on her like a soft blanket.

MEANING: After J lay down, she felt asleep almost unnoticeably;
Who felt asleep and finished a day's work? J or she, not "sleep".
What do we do when a blanket descends on us? We feel it!
We are not comparing "how sleep descended" x "a soft blanket".
We are comparing the feeling of how sleep descended - it descended lightly, almost unnoticeably.

A) "having finished…" is mod sleep, unintended;
C) "sleep…having finished a day's work" unintended; "finished…like a blanket" not comp;
D) "having finished…" is mod sleep, unintended; "had descended" imps she felt sleep before she lay down, unintended;
E) "having completed…" is mod sleep, unintended;

Answer (B)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 252 [1]
Given Kudos: 371
Send PM
Kudos
After Junko lay down, having finished a hard day's work, sleep descended on her like a soft blanket.

I confess i am struggling in SC now generis , need your help :cry: Only a few days remaining before my exam.

I have choosen E, though it is incorrect may be. The correct one should be B:dazed

My reasoning:-

I dont know what is the correct answer for this question & i have invested a hell lot of time figuring out which ones are wrong here.

First of all, "having finished a hard day's work".........VerbING modifier is modifying the preceding cluase "After Junko lay down" ---
seems no error as it is modifying what it is intended to do.

but if i take C as a whole sentence:-
After Junko lay down, sleep descended on her having finished a hard day's work like a soft blanket -
here VerbING Modifier "having" (participle) is used without ",", & in such case it modifes the nearest attached noun/pronoun - here "her"-- a possesive pronoun is refering back to Junko, correct - but the underlined portion at the end "like a soft blanket" is compared with "a hard day's work" - seems not correct

so i removed C from consideration.

Now, rest of the 4 choices starting with a same pattern.

Choice A & E

After Junko lay down, having finished a hard day's work,sleep descended on her like a soft blanket.
After Junko lay down, having completed a hard day's work, sleep descended on her like a soft blanket.

The only differnce is "finished" & "completed" - dont know how to eliminate one of them.

but moral of the story seems like

After Junko lay down, having finished a hard day's work,sleep descended on her like a soft blanket.

if we ignore the portion between two ",", then i found not a clear comparison "like a soft blanket"---it should compare with "Sleep"? :?

now what is the structure of the sentence, "sleep descended on her like a soft blanket." - is the main clause & "After Junko lay down" is the sub-ordinate clause??
then, "After Junko lay down" is it modifying "sleep"?? How come the usage is correct here.

D has a tense error, use of "had" is nowhere necessary as we are not comparing two past events here.

B - After Junko lay down, having finished a hard day's work,she felt sleep descend on herlike a soft blanket -

Here if "sleep descend" is compared with "soft blanket" then it makes sense.

Please help me, as you did always, i need your expert advise to move my SC % from 60 to 90 :(
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [2]
Send PM
After Junko lay down, having finished a hard day's work, sleep [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
J2S2019 wrote:

I confess i am struggling in SC now generis , need your help :cry: Only a few days remaining before my exam.

I have choosen E, though it is incorrect may be. The correct one should be B:dazed

I dont know what is the correct answer for this question & i have invested a hell lot of time figuring out which ones are wrong here.

First of all, "having finished a hard day's work".........VerbING modifier is modifying the preceding cluase "After Junko lay down" ---

After Junko lay down, sleep descended on her having finished a hard day's work like a soft blanket -
here VerbING Modifier "having" (participle) is used without ",", & in such case it modifes the nearest attached noun/pronoun - here "her"-- a possesive pronoun is refering back to Junko, correct - but the underlined portion at the end "like a soft blanket" is compared with "a hard day's work" - seems not correct

Choice A & E

After Junko lay down, having completed a hard day's work, sleep descended on her like a soft blanket.

The only differnce is "finished" & "completed" - dont know how to eliminate one of them.

if we ignore the portion between two ",", then i found not a clear comparison "like a soft blanket"---it should compare with "Sleep"? :?

now what is the structure of the sentence, "sleep descended on her like a soft blanket." - is the main clause & "After Junko lay down" is the sub-ordinate clause??
then, "After Junko lay down" is it modifying "sleep"?? How come the usage is correct here.

D has a tense error, use of "had" is nowhere necessary as we are not comparing two past events here.

B - After Junko lay down, having finished a hard day's work,she felt sleep descend on herlike a soft blanket -

Please help me, as you did always, i need your expert advise to move my SC % from 60 to 90 :(

J2S2019 , this question is hard if you approach it without looking at the "big picture" and apply rules too mechanically.
At first you approached it mechanically.
That's okay. When nerves kick in, we often revert to what feels like more solid ground.

But then you stepped back a little. You found the key to one of three issues in this question. The issues are listed below.
You wrote, "Here if "sleep descend" is compared with "soft blanket" then it makes sense."
Yep.

Issue #1: Meaning and time sequence?

After Junko lay down is a subordinate clause, which depends on the main clause for its meaning.
After Junko lay down . . . what happened?

After she lay down, sleep descended on her or she felt sleep descend on her. (She fell asleep.)
The sentence is not this simple. A phrase intervenes.

After the introductory clause comes having finished a hard day's work . . .

having finished a hard day's work indicates a completed but recent action.
The phrase indicates sequence.
The having + participle (verbED ) happened first.
Junko did not lie down before she finished a hard day's work.
If I put time stamps in, the sentence will make more sense.
After Junko lay down at 2 a.m., having finished a hard day's work at 1 a.m., [something about sleep, which happens last, after she lay down 2 a.m.)

Issue #2: Modifier? What should having finished* [completed] a hard day's work modify?

You correctly note that having finished a hard day's work must refer to something logical.

After we read about having finished a hard day's work, what is the next thing we should be reading about?
A person.
A person finished a hard day's work.
A person lay down.

Issue #3: The comparison
You don't actually have to get to this issue if you deal with #2, the target of the modifier.

In the last-in-time event, an unusual comparison is made between sleep and a soft blanket.

Like means similar to or resembling.

The word "like" is used to show that two things are similar (but not the same) because they share qualities.

The objects of comparison are sleep or descending sleep, on one hand, and a blanket, on the other.

This comparison that you wonder about is called a simile.
Forget the jargon. Remember the idea.

Writers assert that one thing is "like" another when two dissimilar things share similar qualities.
The writer is not saying that sleep and a blanket are the same. She is saying that in certain aspects they are similar.
She is saying that in this circumstance, sleep or falling asleep is or feels similar to ("like") a blanket.

Cliche similes:
Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.
Stars glittered like diamonds in the sky.

We are not looking for strict parallelism.
We are looking to see whether the comparison makes sense.
Can sleep, as it overtakes us, remind us of being covered by a blanket?

Call it. (You decide the answer to that question.)

Takeaway: two things must both happen
1) the "After Junko lay down" clause must have a main clause that finishes the meaning of the "after" clause
2) having finished/completed a hard day's work must refer to something logical.

I highlighted the portion in which you are on the right track.
You are correct not because we want to remove the having phrase (doing so leads to error in other options), but because you are onto the meaning of the sentence.

Try not to worry. You have prepared. You will do your best, and no one can ask for more than that.

Hope that helps. :)

*[Jargon: this construction is called a perfect participle.
Active: having + past participle (verbED)
Passive: having + BEEN + past participle)]
You can read a little about perfect participles here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 252 [1]
Send PM
generis wrote:
J2S2019 wrote:

Choice A & E

J2S2019 , this question is hard if you approach it without looking at the "big picture" and apply rules too mechanically.
At first you approached it mechanically.
That's okay. When nerves kick in, we often revert to what feels like more solid ground.

But then you stepped back a little. You found the key to one of three issues in this question. The issues are listed below.
You wrote, "Here if "sleep descend" is compared with "soft blanket" then it makes sense."
Yep.

Issue #1: Meaning and time sequence?

After Junko lay down is a subordinate clause, which depends on the main clause for its meaning.
After Junko lay down . . . what happened?

After she lay down, sleep descended on her or she felt sleep descend on her. (She fell asleep.)
The sentence is not this simple. A phrase intervenes.

After the introductory clause comes having finished a hard day's work . . .

having finished a hard day's work indicates a completed but recent action.
The phrase indicates sequence.
The having + participle (verbED ) happened first.
Junko did not lie down before she finished a hard day's work.
If I put time stamps in, the sentence will make more sense.
After Junko lay down at 2 a.m., having finished a hard day's work at 1 a.m., [something about sleep, which happens last, after she lay down 2 a.m.)

Issue #2: Modifier? What should having finished* [completed] a hard day's work modify?

You correctly note that having finished a hard day's work must refer to something logical.

After we read about having finished a hard day's work, what is the next thing we should be reading about?
A person.
A person finished a hard day's work.
A person lay down.

Issue #3: The comparison
You don't actually have to get to this issue if you deal with #2, the target of the modifier.

In the last-in-time event, an unusual comparison is made between sleep and a soft blanket.

Like means similar to or resembling.

The word "like" is used two show that two things are similar (but not the same) because they share qualities.

The objects of comparison are sleep or descending sleep, on one hand, and a blanket, on the other.

This comparison that you wonder about is called a simile.
Forget the jargon. Remember the idea.

Writers assert that one thing is "like" another when two dissimilar things share similar qualities.
The writer is not saying that sleep and a blanket are the same. She is saying that in certain aspects they are similar.
She is saying that in this circumstance, sleep or falling asleep is or feels similar to ("like") a blanket.

Cliche similes:
Stars glittered like diamonds in the sky.

We are not looking for strict parallelism.
We are looking to see whether the comparison makes sense.
Can sleep, as it overtakes us, remind us of being covered by a blanket?

Call it. (You decide the answer to that question.)

Takeaway: two things must both happen
1) the "After Junko lay down" clause must have a main clause that finishes the meaning of the "after" clause
2) having finished/completed a hard day's work must refer to something logical.

I highlighted the portion in which you are on the right track.
You are correct not because we want to remove the having phrase (doing so leads to error in other options), but because you are onto the meaning of the sentence.

Try not to worry. You have prepared. You will do your best, and no one can ask for more than that.

Hope that helps. :)

*[Jargon: this construction is called a perfect participle.
Active: having + past participle (verbED)
Passive: having + BEEN + past participle)]
You can read a little about perfect participles here.

Thanks a ton generis.

I understand now.
And thanks again for those last sentences. Hope to have a good exam day. Cheers!!

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [2]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
After Junko lay down, having finished a hard day's work, sleep [#permalink]
Kudos
generis
Quote:

I love this quote :inlove:

J2S2019 good luck at your exam!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [2]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Kudos
This is a great question. I must admit my approach to SC questions has changed since I started following SC butler. Kudos to generis for this wonderful initiative especially for the detailed OEs and the answers to our queries. J2S2019 good luck in the exams. You will do well on the exams. Anxieties at the last hour are completely normal, but make sure it doesn't get the better of you.

I can easily eliminate options C and D.
Option D: having finished a hard day's work rightly modifies Junko. However, the verb tense in the main clause is wrong. It is in the past perfect tense. If you logically consider the sequence of events, it is illogical to say that sleep had descended on Junko after she lay down. Under normal circumstances, one needs to first lie down before falling asleep. Based on this, I eliminated option D.

Option C: After Junko lay down, sleep descended on her having finished a hard day's work like a soft blanket. Option C is saying Junko finished a hard day's work like a soft blanket. I can't get my head around it. In the context, like is not appropriate for the comparison, in case the intention of the sentence is to compare soft blanket with how Junko finished her work. The more important issue is that like is part of the non-underlined text. Therefore, we cannot change like to as, so the structuring of option C is incorrect. I, therefore, eliminated option C.

We're left with three options. I asked myself, what is the difference between options A and E? completed vs finished. Is there a difference in meaning between Junko finished her day's work and Junko completed her day's work? Well, in my honest opinion, I don't see any difference. I stand to be corrected though. So if the two options are basically the same, surely both have to be wrong. I will leave the detailed analysis for generis to do :)

Option B is the right answer. As generis pointed out in his response to a query by J2S2019, the usage of like a soft blanket in the context of the sentence is a simile. So, the way Junko felt sleep descend on her is likened to a soft blanket.

PS: I am not sure on the decision between descend and descended. I would really appreciate it if Sir generis can throw some light on it for me. Of course, I am not ruling out the possibility of my answer being wrong :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Leadership, Sustainability
Schools: Stanford
Send PM
Kudos

B) having finished a hard day's work, she felt sleep descend on her-- correct

C) sleep descended on her having finished a hard day's work --having finished a hard days work can't be like a soft blanket; only "sleep" descend like a soft blanket

IMO, B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 252 [0]
Send PM
mykrasovski eakabuah
thanks for the wishes guys.
Senior Manager