Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1552 [7]
Given Kudos: 132
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Leadership, International Business
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8809 [2]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [4]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
The central controversy surrounding human stem cell research is the so [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Skywalker18 wrote:
All correct except Q4 in almost 9 mins, including 4 mins 30 seconds to read.

4. The primary purpose of the passage is to
(A) challenge the validity of the viewpoints of opponents of stem cell research- incorrect, both opponents and supporters viewpoints are put forward and primary purpose is not to challenge opponents viewpoint
(B) present two explanations of a philosophic phenomenon and discuss the differences between them
(C) summarize opposing stances with regard to a political issue
(D) describe an alternative to a divisive issue and provide evidence and arguments that support the alternative- incorrect, no alternative to a divisive issue is discussed
(E) acknowledge the role of federal grants in scientific research and discovery - too narrow as federal grants are only talked in last para

I was down to options B and C but rejected C on the basis of political issue. It this a political issue? In my opinion, it felt more like a difference in philosophies of two groups.

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyTargetTestPrep , DmitryFarber , VeritasKarishma , generis , other experts - please enlighten

Skywalker18 , the analysis of the other three questions is excellent.

• Options B and C present a classic trap

Question 4 contains a classic trap: the incorrect answer contains a word that is in the passage whereas the correct answer uses a word that is not mentioned in the passage.

The next layer of the trap is vague language whose fuzziness can go unnoticed.
But that vague and malleable language is part of what disqualifies (B).

• option B is tempting but wrong.

According to B, the primary purpose of the author is to
present two explanations of a philosophic phenomenon and discuss the differences between them
Not accurate.

• a philosophic phenomenon does not accurately describe what the author presents.
What on earth is a philosophic phenomenon?

-- A phenomenon is just a thing (an observable event, thing, or person) without connotations of conflict or struggle.

-- Although one of my degrees is in philosophy, I have no idea what, exactly, a "philosophical phenomenon" is or might be.

Natural phenomena include hot springs and glaciers.
Psychological phenomena include deja vu and the placebo effect.
But philosophic phenomena? I have no idea what those words mean.

• the author presents "explanations"? Maybe. I am suspicious.
The rhetoric in the passage sounds more argumentative than explanatory.

The attractiveness of B as an option is seemingly deepened by text in the passage:
The debate primarily arises from differences in deeply held religious and philosophic views.

Notice that (B) contains the words "differences" and "philosophic." I was on guard immediately.

Option B does not quite fit.
It does not suggest enough conflict and does not capture what ignites or animates this passage: opposing positions on government policy about stem cell research.

• (C) better captures the author's primary purpose.

Option (C) states that the author's primary purpose is to: summarize opposing stances with regard to a political issue
That language is accurate. The subject matter in this passage is deeply political, although the word "political" is never used.

In addition, the stances are not simply "different" (B). They are radically opposed to each other.
Opposing stances includes "different views" but more accurately captures the division.

We first learn about the larger context in the last sentence of P2:
[E]ven though the current administration's decision on stem cell research does not support activities which directly destroy embryos, [government] support of research on components of the embryo is deeply disturbing [to opponents of stem cell research].

All of last paragraph P5 is about politics:
[S]upporters believe that the oversight which would come with federal grant support would result in better and more ethically controlled research . . . Supporters also argue that the efforts of federally supported and privately supported researchers are necessary . . .[to keep the U.S. "at the forefront."

-- Supporters believe that the federal government ought to provide grants. Federal oversight is good. Federal funds are crucial.

The debate is political.
-- True, the debate is partly grounded in radically different philosophical and religious views.
-- True, the subject matter of the debate includes those views.
-- But the ultimate or overarching issue in this passage is whether a government should fund stem cell research.

Takeaways:
In primary purpose questions
• the almost-correct answer can present a tempting trap if it:
-- contains words from the passage that tempt the reader because they are familiar
-- contains a noun, adjective, or verb that is too vague
-- captures most of, or a compelling part of, the subject matter (but neglects to mention the larger context or overarching subject).

In this case, that subject is not just philosophical positions on stem cell research, but also radically opposed views of government funding of such research.

• the correct answer fairly often
-- contains a word that is not mentioned in the passage but that encapsulates the overarching subject
-- contains words that are more precise than the words in the next best option

a political issue is more accurate than a philosophic phenomenon
opposing stances is more accurate than different views

Hope that helps.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [0]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
The central controversy surrounding human stem cell research is the so [#permalink]
Expert Reply
saishivapriya wrote:
Could someone provide official answer explainations

saishivapriya ,

official explanations are beneath a spoiler in the original post, here:

Attachment:
OE on RC question 10.19.19.JPG
OE on RC question 10.19.19.JPG [ 47.36 KiB | Viewed 3698 times ]
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The central controversy surrounding human stem cell research is the so [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The central controversy surrounding human stem cell research is the so [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13960 posts