Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
WE:Design (Retail)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3450 [0]
Given Kudos: 162
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V30
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Help choosing the section order for Exam Day [#permalink]
monishi15 wrote:
Hi guys,

This is my first time posting here. I am going to appear for the GMAT for the first time later this month. I have been giving mock exams(Experts Global) weekly since the last few weeks each time with a different order. And following are the score breakdowns and my analysis

Order: 1.Quants 2.Verbal 3.IR/AWA
Test 1: 690(Q46,V39) IR:3
Test 2: 700(Q48, V38) IR:5

Order: 1. IR/AWA 2.Quants 3.Vebal
Test 3: 640(Q48,V30) IR:6

Analysis: My brain was totally drained by the time I reached verbal. Hence the disaster score. Also makes sense as most of the questions I got wrong was from RC.

Order: 1. Verbal 2. Quants 3.IR
Test 4: 710(Q45,V42) IR:7

Any suggestions on which order I should choose for the real Test?

P.S - the IR7 score on the last test was because the questions were easier. Don't read too much into it while making the suggestion.

Posted from my mobile device

Hi monishi15,

Welcome to GMATCLUB! I guess it totally depends on whichever order is more comfortable for you. A lot of people normally prefer Verbal first followed my Quant and then IR/AWA since they can approach RCs and CRs with a fresh mind. However, some people may prefer Quant first specifically if the are confident in Quant and want to begin the test with their strongest section. Looking at your test scores, I think you may perform well with V-Q-IR/AWA. However, as you have 11 more experts' global test remaining, I recommend that you give all 3 orders one more try before you settle on one.

Hope this helps. All the best!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi monishi15,

When it comes to choosing the 'section order' for your Exams, choosing the Quant and Verbal sections (in one order or the other) to begin your Exam makes a lot of sense - since you will likely be at your most alert and energetic (and that's exactly when you want to face those two sections). Before ascribing too much importance to the small sample of data from these CATs, you should also consider all of the OTHER factors that can impact your performance, including the time of day and day of the week that you took the CAT, how well-rested you were, the testing 'environment' that you were in and the number of little mistakes that you made in each section.

As an aside, have you taken any of the Official GMAC CATs yet? If you have, then how did you score on those CATs?

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) If you took additional CATs, then on what dates did you take those CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When is your exact Test Date?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Current Student
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi monishi15,

When it comes to choosing the 'section order' for your Exams, choosing the Quant and Verbal sections (in one order or the other) to begin your Exam makes a lot of sense - since you will likely be at your most alert and energetic (and that's exactly when you want to face those two sections). Before ascribing too much importance to the small sample of data from these CATs, you should also consider all of the OTHER factors that can impact your performance, including the time of day and day of the week that you took the CAT, how well-rested you were, the testing 'environment' that you were in and the number of little mistakes that you made in each section.

As an aside, have you taken any of the Official GMAC CATs yet? If you have, then how did you score on those CATs?

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) If you took additional CATs, then on what dates did you take those CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When is your exact Test Date?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Hi,

No I haven't given the official GMAT CAT yet. Plan to do it this Saturday.

I have been following Magoosh's 3 month study plan. So I study around 2-3 hours each weekday, give a CAT on Saturday and analyse it on sunday. As far as study material is concerned, I have been using Magoosh's premium plan and OG2020 only.

Overall Goal score: 700-720
Test Date: 16th November

I am mostly planning to apply after 2-3 years as I am fresh out of college now and need to gain some work experience. Also during this period I will be working extensively on profile building.

I am planning to apply to AGSM( Australia) and the top BSchools in Canada like Rotman, Sauders, deGroote etc.

For deGroote I will probably apply next year for their co-op MBA program which does not require much work experience.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi monishi15,

Studying for the GMAT now - far in advance of when you will actually "need" your Score - is a smart choice. Based on your CAT Scores so far, and assuming the they are an accurate assessment of your current abilities, you certainly appear to have the necessary knowledge and skills to hit your Score Goal. The Official GMAC CATs are the most realistic ones on the market, so having one of those Scores as reference should help to confirm all of this other data. You should make sure to take that next CAT in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.) and once you have that score, you should report back here and we can discuss the results and how best to proceed.

Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22047 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi monishi15,

Based on the results from your practice exams, it seems that verbal-quant-IR-AWA is the way to go. Out of curiosity, have you taken any official MBA.com practice exams?
Current Student
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi monishi15,

Studying for the GMAT now - far in advance of when you will actually "need" your Score - is a smart choice. Based on your CAT Scores so far, and assuming the they are an accurate assessment of your current abilities, you certainly appear to have the necessary knowledge and skills to hit your Score Goal. The Official GMAC CATs are the most realistic ones on the market, so having one of those Scores as reference should help to confirm all of this other data. You should make sure to take that next CAT in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.) and once you have that score, you should report back here and we can discuss the results and how best to proceed.

Rich

Hi,
I just took the first official GMATPrep CAT. Following are the details-
1. Order- Verbal -> Quants -> IR/AWA
2. SCORE: 700 (Q49,V35) IR-7

I found the verbal questions a lot tougher than what I was practicing and also compared to the Experts Global test. Hence, I had to rush a little towards the end to complete the section.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi monishi15,

Assuming that you took this CAT in a realistic fashion, then you certainly appear to have the necessary skills to hit your Score Goal on the Official GMAT. Based on this Score, you have a much greater opportunity to pick up points in the Verbal section - so spending a bit more time on RC, SC and CR over the next 4 weeks would make sense.

1) Have you completed working through your current Verbal study materials?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich
Current Student
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi monishi15,

Assuming that you took this CAT in a realistic fashion, then you certainly appear to have the necessary skills to hit your Score Goal on the Official GMAT. Based on this Score, you have a much greater opportunity to pick up points in the Verbal section - so spending a bit more time on RC, SC and CR over the next 4 weeks would make sense.

1) Have you completed working through your current Verbal study materials?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

I am still following the Magoosh Prep material so there is 3 more weeks worth of content left. From the OG I am done with SC. Just need to redo the ones I got wrong.

Also I plan to stick to the same study plan as before.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi monishi15,

Since your current study routine has gotten you to this 'score level' - and it's right in line with your Score Goal - there does not appear to be any reason to change your plans at this point. At this level, you might need to 'nitpick' the questions that you got wrong in a bit more detail (since you will likely be dealing with rarer and subtler issues).

Rich
GMAT Club Bot