Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [20]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [15]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 972 [5]
Given Kudos: 655
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [8]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Re: Fanny Burney’s historical importance as a novelist is undeniable, e [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 180: Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Fanny Burney’s historical importance as a novelist is undeniable, even though many critics have attempted to do so.

A) is undeniable, even though many critics have attempted to do so

B) is not able to be denied, even though many critics have attempted to do that

C) is not to be denied, even though many critics have attempted doing so

D) cannot be denied, even though many critics have attempted to do it

E) cannot be denied, even though many critics have attempted to do so

1. Cannot be denied/undeniable/is not to be denied/ is not able to be denied
Cannot be denied is the best expression out of these since the 2nd part of the sentence says that many people have attempted to "deny it". If we use "undeniable" as in A then we cannot use "do so" or "do it/that" in the 2nd half. B & C use the wordy/ungrammatical expressions "is not to be denied/ is not able to be denied" to convey the same meaning.
So we can take out A,B & C

2. Do So/Do it
"Do it": "It" has to refer to a noun
"Do So": "So" refers to an action or a clause

Option D: "even though many critics have attempted to do it"
- the "it" in option D doesnt have any noun referent for itself.
- If we take "historical importance" as its referent then the sentence becomes
- "even though many critics have attempted to do historical importance"

The "do so" in E stands for "deny his historical importance"
- "even though many critics have attempted to do so"
So the sentence without ellipses is"
"even though many critics have attempted to deny his historical importance"

So E is the correct answer IMO.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 492 [1]
Given Kudos: 292
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Re: Fanny Burney’s historical importance as a novelist is undeniable, e [#permalink]
Kudos
generis wrote:

Fanny Burney’s historical importance as a novelist is undeniable, even though many critics have attempted to do so.

A) is undeniable, even though many critics have attempted to do so - Do so - tried to un-deny it?

B) is not able to be denied, even though many critics have attempted to do that - "is not able to be denied" long and awkward construction

C) is not to be denied, even though many critics have attempted doing so - " doing so" is incorrect. requires a verb "do so"

D) cannot be denied, even though many critics have attempted to do it - " do it" - incorrect, what does it refer to

E) cannot be denied, even though many critics have attempted to do so - Correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 281 [1]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
Schools:
GPA: 3.75
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos

A) is undeniable, even though many critics have attempted to do so usage of undeniable makes the sentence awkward

B) is not able to be denied, even though many critics have attempted to do that the use of that is incorrect

C) is not to be denied, even though many critics have attempted doing so use of doing makes the sentence a fragment by omitting a verb

D) cannot be denied, even though many critics have attempted to do it there is no antecedent for pronoun it

E) cannot be denied, even though many critics have attempted to do so begins with cannot and correct comparison used leaves no ambiguity.

IMO E
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [1]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Kudos
Do so, known as a pro-verb is used to replace a verb in a sentence to avoid repetition. Do it is used when the verb has an object which can be replaced by the pronoun it.

Option A: Fanny Burney’s historical importance as a novelist is undeniable, even though many critics have attempted to do so. to do so suggests that the verb is should be in the bare infinitive form be, and this also signals that it requires a modal verb can. Even if the verb is can be, substituting to be deniable in place of to do so still doesn't make much sense. ..even though many critics have attempted to be deniable. I believe a verb that expresses the action undeniable will be appropriate. A can be eliminated.

Option B: Fanny Burney’s historical importance as a novelist is not able to be denied, even though many critics have attempted to do that. is not able to be denied is grammatically awkward at best. A better form of expressing the action can be cannot be denied. B can be eliminated.

Option C: Fanny Burney’s historical importance as a novelist is not to be denied, even though many critics have attempted doing so.
is not to be denied is wordy, so not concise compared with cannot be denied. In addition, I am not sure if doing so is appropriate in the context. to do so is more appropriate in my view because it explicitly expresses the purpose
or the intention of the critics better. We can eliminate option C.

Option D: Fanny Burney’s historical importance as a novelist cannot be denied, even though many critics have attempted to do it.
There is no logical antecedent for the pronoun it. do so is required. Eliminated option D.

Option E: Fanny Burney’s historical importance as a novelist cannot be denied, even though many critics have attempted to do so. do so rightly replaces deny Fanny Burney's historical importance. Cannot be denied rightly replace is undeniable.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [1]
Given Kudos: 320
Send PM
Kudos

'to do' so requires an action to refer back to, attempted to do what? "to deny" ...here undeniable is noun

is not able to be denied - too wordy and 'that' should refer to singular noun or clause, here it refers to ->not able to be denied ... sentence doesn't make sense

critics have attempted doing not to be denied -> too wordy

it should refer to noun, it cannot refer to action..

denied is an action and so refers to denied.

E is better!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
OK. So the correct answer seems to be E.

But in D, we can successfully find an antecedent for it: Fanny Burney’s historical importance.
So, "Do it" = dispute Fanny Burney’s historical importance.

What is wrong with that?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [1]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Fanny Burney’s historical importance as a novelist is undeniable, e [#permalink]
Kudos
I wanted to write an explanation, but then saw a great explanation by Shivan21. Good job! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
mykrasovski wrote:
I wanted to write an explanation, but then saw a great explanation by Shivan21. Good job! :)

mykrasovski

Thanks buddy for your kind words :blushing
Cheers!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Shivan21 wrote:
mykrasovski wrote:

mykrasovski

Thanks buddy for your kind words :blushing
Cheers!

You deserve it!

Though, regarding your comment that 'If we take "historical importance" as its referent then the sentence becomes "even though many critics have attempted to do historical importance"', I have a different idea: do can stand for verb "argue", so the sentence becomes
- even though many critics have attempted to argue his historical importance.
That sounds pretty good, doesn't it?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [1]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Fanny Burney’s historical importance as a novelist is undeniable, e [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi zhanbo, I do not think it is legit to substitute verbs in this particular problem, i.e. replace do by argue :) And clearly, the blue part in option D "Fanny Burney’s historical importance as a novelist cannot be denied, even though many critics have attempted to do historical importance" has no sense... One cannot attempt to do a historical importance :) while it is possible to argue against a historical importance, discuss it, consider it, evaluate it, and so on...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Leadership, Sustainability
Schools: Stanford
Send PM
Kudos

A) is undeniable, even though many critics have attempted to do so -- "is undeniable change meaning of the context.

B) is not able to be denied, even though many critics have attempted to do that -- is not able to be denied is awkward

C) is not to be denied, even though many critics have attempted doing so -- is not able to be denied is awkward

D) cannot be denied, even though many critics have attempted to do it -- it is ambiguous, what is "it" referring to

Therefore, E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
Given Kudos: 287
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:

Quote:

Here do so implies undeny so wrong meaning.Eliminate A.

Quote:

that is a relative pronoun that can refer to noun only.here it's referring to deny which is a verb.so eliminate B.

Quote:

so when we have to be, the So cannot change the tense. here so is referring to denied ie., wrong so Eliminate C.

Quote:

same as B.it can only refer to nouns not verbs.Eliminate D.

Quote:

Perfect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [1]
Given Kudos: 135
Send PM
generis wrote:

Attempted to do so/Attempted to deny/ Attempted to criticise
Generally,You do criticise those things which can be criticised. We hardly go to criticise facts set.
Historical importance as a novelist is undeniable- fact. So you need to look for those options where Historical importance can be/can not be criticised.
D and E are the two options where meaning is clear, but in D there is no logical antecedent of pronoun "it".
E is perfect
E:)
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I have posted the official explanation HERE
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
JonShukhrat wrote:
zhanbo wrote:
Though, regarding your comment that 'If we take "historical importance" as its referent then the sentence becomes "even though many critics have attempted to do historical importance"', I have a different idea: do can stand for verb "argue", so the sentence becomes

Hi zhanbo,

Above all, congratulations on such great achievements in both GMAT and GRE! :thumbup:

It’s kind of interesting that, right from the start, I knew do so is what we are tested on here. However, your question made me think about the exact reasons for eliminating D. So, I did some research, and let me share what I inferred from it. We know that do it doesn’t work when it doesn’t have clear referent (noun), for example:

I wanted them to leave, and politely asked them to do it/so.

Here, there is no noun for it to refer to, so we definitely need so. However, as you pointed out, in D it can refer to Fanny Burney’s historical importance as a novelist (when it stands for a noun to which essential mods are attached, it must stand for the noun + all essential mods). Additionally, in D do can stand in for deny. As a result we have:

D. FB’s historical importance as a novelist cannot be denied, even though many critics have attempted to do (deny) it (FB’s historical importance as a novelist).

Quite a legitimate sentence, isn’t it? What I have found out is that out of do so/ it/ that the first one is the most academic and the least ambiguous one. i.e. in colloquial English, when someone asks us “Send them a fax!”, we are used to answer “I’ll do so”, “I’ll do it” or even “I’ll do that”.
But the latter two seem to be too informal for GMAT.

JonShukhrat , you have stated the issue very diplomatically.
Now, let me be the bad cop because there is no SEEM on the GMAT.
Those two constructions do not seem to be too informal for the GMAT.
Those two constructions ARE too informal on the GMAT.
In fact, in this question neither is grammatical.
I do not recall a single question in which the correct answer contained do it, a fact that confirms what Ron P says below.

Quote:
RonPurewal says: 'do it' is not always wrong. However, our research has shown that very few GMAT problems, if any, contain 'do it' in their correct forms, whereas 'do so' has been the crux of several problems. Remember, it's not just the correct grammar that matters - it also matters how likely it is that each particular concept will show up on the test.

DO SO and DO are possible.
DO IT is not at all likely.
DO THAT is never correct.

Quote:
Although MGMAT provides an example for do it, in its example do stands for do itself:
Quinn failed to do the homework, but her brother did it.

Nice catch.
In other words, the only time that we can use DO + PRONOUN is when we have already used a TO DO verb.
The pronoun takes the place of the object of the verb (the object that was a noun).

Quote:
For verbs other than do, MGMAT prefers to repeat that verb again [OR TO USE THE PHRASE DO SO, or perhaps just the word DO):

Quote:
Quinn did not eat the soup, but her brother ate it.

MGMAT prefers to do so because in some cases using do it for other verbs may create ambiguity:
The police have significantly reduced violent crime and are pleased with themselves for doing it.

Here it clearly refers to violent crime. However, doing is ambiguous because it may stand for reducing or just mean doing, as is. In the first case we have pleased with themselves for reducing (doing) violent crime (it). Makes sense if a person reading this sentence somehow already knows what the author is going to say.

But in the second case we have pleased with themselves for doing violent crime (it). That’s nonsense because original meaning is - police didn’t do violent crime but reduced it. A person who reads the above sentence for the first time most probably will understand it this way. By using do so instead, we can avoid this ambiguity.

Small conclusion: In everyday life, I think D would be just fine. However, for the sake of clarity and GMAT’s high standards, we better do what MGMAT does – to repeat the exact verb + it instead of do + it:

Just wanted to share my findings, your comments are welcome. :)

Small conclusion: In everyday life, I think D would be just fine.

JonShukhrat — Bravo.
This analysis is very good.

I refined just a little bit of what you wrote. Your work is excellent.
Well done.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 972 [0]
Given Kudos: 655
Send PM
generis wrote:
JonShukhrat wrote:
zhanbo wrote:

Hi zhanbo,

Above all, congratulations on such great achievements in both GMAT and GRE! :thumbup:

It’s kind of interesting that, right from the start, I knew do so is what we are tested on here. However, your question made me think about the exact reasons for eliminating D. So, I did some research, and let me share what I inferred from it. We know that do it doesn’t work when it doesn’t have clear referent (noun), for example:

I wanted them to leave, and politely asked them to do it/so.

Here, there is no noun for it to refer to, so we definitely need so. However, as you pointed out, in D it can refer to Fanny Burney’s historical importance as a novelist (when it stands for a noun to which essential mods are attached, it must stand for the noun + all essential mods). Additionally, in D do can stand in for deny. As a result we have:

D. FB’s historical importance as a novelist cannot be denied, even though many critics have attempted to do (deny) it (FB’s historical importance as a novelist).

Quite a legitimate sentence, isn’t it? What I have found out is that out of do so/ it/ that the first one is the most academic and the least ambiguous one. i.e. in colloquial English, when someone asks us “Send them a fax!”, we are used to answer “I’ll do so”, “I’ll do it” or even “I’ll do that”.
But the latter two seem to be too informal for GMAT.

JonShukhrat , you have stated the issue very diplomatically.
Now, let me be the bad cop because there is no SEEM on the GMAT.
Those two constructions do not seem to be too informal for the GMAT.
Those two constructions ARE too informal on the GMAT.
In fact, in this question neither is grammatical.
I do not recall a single question in which the correct answer contained do it, a fact that confirms what Ron P says below.

Quote:
RonPurewal says: 'do it' is not always wrong. However, our research has shown that very few GMAT problems, if any, contain 'do it' in their correct forms, whereas 'do so' has been the crux of several problems. Remember, it's not just the correct grammar that matters - it also matters how likely it is that each particular concept will show up on the test.

DO SO and DO are possible.
DO IT is not at all likely.
DO THAT is never correct.

Quote:
Although MGMAT provides an example for do it, in its example do stands for do itself:
Quinn failed to do the homework, but her brother did it.

Nice catch.
In other words, the only time that we can use DO + PRONOUN is when we have already used a TO DO verb.
The pronoun takes the place of the object of the verb (the object that was a noun).

Quote:
For verbs other than do, MGMAT prefers to repeat that verb again [OR TO USE THE PHRASE DO SO, or perhaps just the word DO):

Quote:

MGMAT prefers to do so because in some cases using do it for other verbs may create ambiguity:
The police have significantly reduced violent crime and are pleased with themselves for doing it.

Here it clearly refers to violent crime. However, doing is ambiguous because it may stand for reducing or just mean doing, as is. In the first case we have pleased with themselves for reducing (doing) violent crime (it). Makes sense if a person reading this sentence somehow already knows what the author is going to say.

But in the second case we have pleased with themselves for doing violent crime (it). That’s nonsense because original meaning is - police didn’t do violent crime but reduced it. A person who reads the above sentence for the first time most probably will understand it this way. By using do so instead, we can avoid this ambiguity.

Small conclusion: In everyday life, I think D would be just fine. However, for the sake of clarity and GMAT’s high standards, we better do what MGMAT does – to repeat the exact verb + it instead of do + it:

Just wanted to share my findings, your comments are welcome. :)

Small conclusion: In everyday life, I think D would be just fine.

JonShukhrat — Bravo.
This analysis is very good.

I refined just a little bit of what you wrote. Your work is excellent.
Well done.

Dear generis,

Thank you very much. You are awesome, as always :)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Fanny Burneys historical importance as a novelist is undeniable, e [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Fanny Burneys historical importance as a novelist is undeniable, e [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts