Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [22]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1728 [3]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: Marketing, Statistics
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GPA: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3964 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: Young basketball players in the National Basketball Association lack [#permalink]
ssr0623 wrote:
Young basketball players in the National Basketball Association lack big-game experience to such a large extent as to make it difficult to feature them in a professional league becoming ever more dependent on tournament play.

A. lack big-game experience to such a large extent as to make it difficult to feature them in a professional league becoming
B. lack big-game experience to a large enough extent that they will be difficult to feature in a professional's league becoming
C. lack of big-game experience is so large as to be difficult to feature them in the professional league that becomes
D. are lacking so much in big-game experience as to be difficult to feature into a professional league becoming
E. are so lacking in big-game experience that it will be difficult to feature them in a professional league becoming

can anyone compare 'to such a large extent that' with 'to such a large extent as to'? can i use such as to? I want a detailed analyse for all of the options. can an expert help me? thx!

Young basketball players in the National Basketball Association lack big-game experience to such a large extent as to make it difficult to feature them in a professional league becoming ever more dependent on tournament play.

A. lack big-game experience to such a large extent as to make it difficult to feature them in a professional league becoming
B. lack big-game experience to a large enough extent that they will be difficult to feature in a professional's league becoming
C. lack of big-game experience is so large as to be difficult to feature them in the professional league that becomes
D. are lacking so much in big-game experience as to be difficult to feature into a professional league becoming
E. are so lacking in big-game experience that it will be difficult to feature them in a professional league becoming

IMO E
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 214
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Young basketball players in the National Basketball Association lack [#permalink]
Experts! Please help in understanding this question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
Send PM
globaldesi wrote:
ssr0623
please format the question .
Regarding your query

a) lack big-game experience to such a large extent as to make it difficult to feature them in a professional league becoming. "lack ..to such a ..as to make it difficult" is there is a direct comparison whenver we to such a ... as to. However the sentence changed the entire content. the focus shift from Young basketball players to difficulty in featuring them
b) lack big-game experience to a large enough extent that they will be difficult to feature in a professional's league becoming. lack that they will be difficult is again incorrect also sentence after becoming makes no sense
c) lack of big-game experience is so large as to be difficult to feature them in the professional league that becomes lack of big -game is so large makes no sense
d) are lacking so much in big-game experience as to be difficult to feature into a professional league becoming are lacking so much in big-game experience as to be difficult , you need a correct modifier here lacking big game experience as to be difficult is incorrect
e) are so lacking in big-game experience that it will be difficult to feature them in a professional league becoming . this is the only sentence where "that"correctly modifies "lacking in big-game experience" and hence explain the result of it

Can you give an example of the idiom "lack ..to such a ..as to make it difficult" used as direct comparison . I want to understand it better
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
Can someone please offer more detail on why the options other than E are incorrect? Are these idioms?
Stanford and Tuck Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 2.98
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
I'd love to understand why B doesn't work. Is it only because "large enough extent" is redundant?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [1]
Given Kudos: 342
Send PM