Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools: HBS (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.97
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1920 [1]
Given Kudos: 628
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Your first GMAT practise score & how much has it improved? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi HWaus,

From your post, it sounds as if you might be a bit concerned about your first practice CAT Score - and what it might mean to your eventual Score at the end of your studies. Many Test Takers are unhappy with their initial practice scores, but you really shouldn't be. It's just a measure of your skills right now - and we need to know your skills, strengths and weaknesses so that we can put together the proper study plan for you. The GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam - so you CAN train to score at a higher level (and we've had Clients improve over 300 points over the course of their studies, so regardless of how YOU might score, I'm certain that you have the capacity to improve on that result).

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can take 2 for free at www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi HWaus,

As has already been mentioned, I think it would be helpful for you to read some success stories from the “Share your GMAT experience” section here on GMAT club. You’ll see that students have increased their GMAT scores anywhere from 50 to 300 points from their initial practice exams.

Also, since you are just starting out on your GMAT journey, if you need any advice regarding your study plan, feel free to reach out.

To start you may find it helpful to read the following article:

How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT — A Mini Guide for Success

Good luck!
Current Student
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi HWaus,
I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Thanks for the advice. I have not taken any practise tests, only attempted some individual questions on this forum.

To answer your above questions.
1) 730+ (710 min)
2) DEC 2020 - MAR 2021
3) M7 + Melbourne Business School
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi HWaus,

Studying for the GMAT now - far in advance of when you'll actually "need" your Score - is a smart choice. In that way, you can proceed however you choose, and if you end up getting 'stuck' at any point, you'll have plenty of time to adjust your studies and continue working. That having been said, your Score Goal is above the 90th percentile, so you'll have to put in some really specific training to get to the point that you can consistently score at that high level - and your commitment and efficiency with your studies will dictate how long all of that ultimately takes.

I still highly recommend that you take a FULL-LENGTH CAT sometime soon. Once you have those results, you should post back here (you can also feel free to PM me directly) and we can discuss the results.

Rich
Current Student
Send PM
Your first GMAT practise score & how much has it improved? [#permalink]
So just attempting a bunch of questions posted on this forum, I am continually getting them wrong. Do I even bother applying for an MBA if I can't do GMAT questions?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi HWaus,

You're in the early phase of your studies, so you should NOT expect to be a 'master' of any of the content or Tactics of the GMAT just yet. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so getting some questions wrong right now is NOT a bad thing. Every question that you work on should be a learning experience though. WHY did you get those questions wrong? Be specific. Did you not have the necessary knowledge? Then you will have to learn it. Did you make a little mistake in your work? Then you have to train to do that work in a more precise and organized fashion.

Rich
Current Student
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi HWaus,

You're in the early phase of your studies, so you should NOT expect to be a 'master' of any of the content or Tactics of the GMAT just yet. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so getting some questions wrong right now is NOT a bad thing. Every question that you work on should be a learning experience though. WHY did you get those questions wrong? Be specific. Did you not have the necessary knowledge? Then you will have to learn it. Did you make a little mistake in your work? Then you have to train to do that work in a more precise and organized fashion.

Well I have never attempted GMAT questions until two days ago. But how truthful are people on here.... I've seen many posts "I have never attempted GMAT questions before and on my first practise test I got 710". So many of these posts.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi HWaus,

You should be a bit skeptical of the sample of stories that are available on any website. From a statistical-standpoint, only about 10% of Test Takers ever score 700+ (and some of them hit that level repeatedly, so the 'absolute number' number of people who do that in a given year is even smaller than that). Some people are naturally strong Test-takers, but even if you're not one of those people, you can still train to take advantage of how the GMAT is written.

You will likely find the overall process of training for the GMAT to be challenging in spots, so you have to be careful about putting too much pressure on yourself (especially right now). The type of result that you're after is going to take a lot of time and effort - and dealing with all of this in small pieces is almost certainly how you'll earn that result.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot