Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 376 [61]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64916 [6]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618976 [6]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Re: divisibility problem [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
kashishh wrote:
If m is a positive odd integer between 2 and 30, then m is divisible by how many different positive prime numbers?

(1) m is not divisible by 3.
(2) m is not divisible by 5.

OA is A
My doubt is when we analyse stat. 1, aren’t we left with
out of which isn’t 25 has a different answer to the question than the other numbers?
don’t we need stat. 2 to answer it?

No, since 25 (as well as all other possible values of m from statement (1)), is divisible only by one prime number - 5.

If m is a positive odd integer between 2 and 30, then m is divisible by how many different positive prime numbers?

Since the range is not that big we can write down all possible value of m for each statement.

(1) m is not divisible by 3 --> m can be: 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 25, and 29. Each has only one distinct prime in its prime factorization. Sufficient.

(2) m is not divisible by 5 --> m can be: 3, 7, 9, 11, 13, 17, 19, 21, STOP. Each but 21 has one prime in its prime factorization, while 21 has two primes: 3 and 7. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

Hope it's clear.

Sorry Bunuel but I don't quite get it, we are asked it is divisible by how many different positive prime numbers.

So from Statement 1 I understand that it can be divisible by all of them because they are all distinct prime numbers so that will be 9 numbers

But from Statement 2, I don't understand it that well. OK we have 21 that has two primes 3, and 7 but we had already considered them early in the list, so what's the deal with having them again? Since we are asked for different primes then we just ignore these.

Are we being asked to count them all even with repetitions?

Please clarify
Thank you!
Cheers!
J :)
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618976 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Re: divisibility problem [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jlgdr wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
kashishh wrote:

OA is A
out of which isn’t 25 has a different answer to the question than the other numbers?

No, since 25 (as well as all other possible values of m from statement (1)), is divisible only by one prime number - 5.

Since the range is not that big we can write down all possible value of m for each statement.

(1) m is not divisible by 3 --> m can be: 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 25, and 29. Each has only one distinct prime in its prime factorization. Sufficient.

(2) m is not divisible by 5 --> m can be: 3, 7, 9, 11, 13, 17, 19, 21, STOP. Each but 21 has one prime in its prime factorization, while 21 has two primes: 3 and 7. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

Hope it's clear.

Sorry Bunuel but I don't quite get it, we are asked it is divisible by how many different positive prime numbers.

So from Statement 1 I understand that it can be divisible by all of them because they are all distinct prime numbers so that will be 9 numbers

But from Statement 2, I don't understand it that well. OK we have 21 that has two primes 3, and 7 but we had already considered them early in the list, so what's the deal with having them again? Since we are asked for different primes then we just ignore these.

Are we being asked to count them all even with repetitions?

Please clarify
Thank you!
Cheers!
J :)

For (2):

If m=3, then m is divisible by ONE prime factor, 3.
If m=21, then m is divisible by TWO prime factors, 3 and 7.

So, we have two different answers, which means that the statement is not sufficient.

Hope it's clear.
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16598 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Re: If m is a positive odd integer between 2 and 30, then m is [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem.
Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

In the original condition we have 1 variable and we need 1 equation to match the number of variables and equations. Since there is 1 each in 1) and 2), there is high probability that D is the answer.

In case of 1), m=5(5),25(5),7(7),11(11),13(13),17(17),19(19),29(29) and the different prime factors is 1, therefore the condition is sufficient.
In case of 2), m=3, 15 and since 3 have 1(3), 15 have 2(3,5) prime factors the answer is not unique and therefore not sufficient. Thus the answer is A.

Normally for cases where we need 1 more equation, such as original conditions with 1 variable, or 2 variables and 1 equation, or 3 variables and 2 equations, we have 1 equation each in both 1) and 2). Therefore D has a high chance of being the answer, which is why we attempt to solve the question using 1) and 2) separately. Here, there is 59 % chance that D is the answer, while A or B has 38% chance. There is 3% chance that C or E is the answer for the case. Since D is most likely to be the answer according to DS definition, we solve the question assuming D would be our answer hence using 1) and 2) separately. Obviously there may be cases where the answer is A, B, C or E.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
If m is a positive odd integer between 2 and 30, then m is [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma wrote:
kashishh wrote:

OA is A

The question asks for "... how many different prime numbers?"
If you are thinking that 25 is divisible by 5 and 5, it still counts as one.

(1) m is not divisible by 3
m is not divisible by 2 anyway since we are talking about odd numbers. Next prime number is 5. The next one is 7 but 5*7 = 35 which is greater than 30. So even if we take the two smallest possible primes, no odd number in the given range can have both as factors. So m must have only one prime number as a factor.

(2) m is not divisible by 5
m could be divisible by 3 and 7 (since 3*7 = 21 which lies in our range). So m could be divisible by one prime or by two different primes. So this statement is not sufficient.

Answer (A)

Hi VeritasKarishma

I am struggling to see what the question is asking

We are being asked per my understanding -- m is divisible by how many different prime numbers ?

Isn't thus the answer to S1 /S2 plausibly -- 1 prime is divisible only / 2 primes are divisible only / 3 primes are divisible only /4 prime numbers are divisible only only .......n prime numbers are divisible only

If i solve for S1 -- i see 9 different prime numbers possibly [5 / 7 / 11 / 13 / 17 / 19 / 23 / 25 (5x5 is still one prime number only, i.e. 5) / 29 ]

I marked S1 as sufficient because i got 9 different prime numbers

Is my answer to S1 (=9) incorrect ?

--------------------------------
On the other hand my answer to S2 is 9 as well

S2 set : 3 / 7 / 9 / 11 / 13 / 17 / 19 / 23 / 25(5*5) / 29

prime numbers = 3 / 7 / 11 / 13 / 17 / 19 / 23 / 5 / 29

Please let me know, where is the break in my logic
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64916 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jabhatta@umail.iu.edu wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
kashishh wrote:

OA is A

The question asks for "... how many different prime numbers?"
If you are thinking that 25 is divisible by 5 and 5, it still counts as one.

(1) m is not divisible by 3
m is not divisible by 2 anyway since we are talking about odd numbers. Next prime number is 5. The next one is 7 but 5*7 = 35 which is greater than 30. So even if we take the two smallest possible primes, no odd number in the given range can have both as factors. So m must have only one prime number as a factor.

(2) m is not divisible by 5
m could be divisible by 3 and 7 (since 3*7 = 21 which lies in our range). So m could be divisible by one prime or by two different primes. So this statement is not sufficient.

Answer (A)

Hi VeritasKarishma

I am struggling to see what the question is asking

We are being asked per my understanding -- m is divisible by how many different prime numbers ?

Isn't thus the answer to S1 /S2 plausibly -- 1 prime is divisible only / 2 primes are divisible only / 3 primes are divisible only /4 prime numbers are divisible only only .......n prime numbers are divisible only

If i solve for S1 -- i see 9 different prime numbers possibly [5 / 7 / 11 / 13 / 17 / 19 / 23 / 25 (5x5 is still one prime number only, i.e. 5) / 29 ]

I marked S1 as sufficient because i got 9 different prime numbers

Is my answer to S1 (=9) incorrect ?

--------------------------------
On the other hand my answer to S2 is 9 as well

S2 set : 3 / 7 / 9 / 11 / 13 / 17 / 19 / 23 / 25(5*5) / 29

prime numbers = 3 / 7 / 11 / 13 / 17 / 19 / 23 / 5 / 29

Please let me know, where is the break in my logic

I don't think you have understood the question. Let me break it down:

Given: "m is a positive odd integer between 2 and 30."
Conclusion: m can be 3/5/7/9/11/13... 29

Question: m is divisible by how many different positive prime numbers?
Answer; Depends on the value of m.
If m is 3, answer is that m is divisible by 1 prime number.
If m is 5, answer is that m is divisible by 1 prime number.
If m is 15, answer is that m is divisible by 2 prime numbers.

Let's look at the stmnts that will give us more info about m.

- m could be 5 in which case it has 1 prime factor.
- m could have 2 prime factors the smallest acceptable ones being 5 and 7. But that would mean m = 5*7 = 35 but m must be less than 30. So m cannot have 2 prime factors and then obviously, not more than 2 either.
Hence m must have only 1 different positive prime factor.
Sufficient

- m could be 3 in which case it has 1 prime factor.
- m could be 21 in which it has 2 prime factors (3 and 7)
Not sufficient.

Answer (A)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92914 posts