Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:00 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1988 [1]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: HEC '22 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 2.66
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1805 [1]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
GMAT Official Practice Test 760 - should I be worried or happy? [#permalink]
Kudos
Crimsonette wrote:
I got a 750 on my real exam but had gotten only as high as 740 on a practice. And I always cheated on my practices too (pausing, getting a snack, etc.). I wouldn’t worry. Go kill it!

A practice test is just a practice test. Sure, taking it in as "realistic" an environment as possible may provide some feel of a test like experience, but doing so is not necessary.

Yours is a good example. This practice test was quite different from the real test environment and yet, you not only scored higher, but did very well. achbaa So, do not worry too much about "realistic" simulation.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: GMAT Official Practice Test 760 - should I be worried or happy? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi achbaa,

Have you taken this practice CAT before (or seen any of the questions before?)? I ask because I know that you've previously taken Official CATs 1-3, but I'm not sure whether you've taken any of the other 3 Official CATs or not. While the most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC, retaking a CAT that you've already taken is NOT a realistic way to assess your skills - since you will likely see some 'repeat' questions that you have already faced. Unfortunately, seeing even a couple of repeats can 'throw off' the Scoring Algorithm and impact your pacing, energy levels, fatigue, etc. (meaning that they would likely all appear to be better than they actually are).

It's certainly possible that you have the necessary knowledge and skills to have earned this 760. You've taken the Official GMAT, so you know the exact details of Test Day. Did you take this CAT in a realistic fashion that matches what you faced when you took the Official GMAT? If you did, then this Score could very well be an accurate assessment of your current skills.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Re: GMAT Official Practice Test 760 - should I be worried or happy? [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi achbaa,

Have you taken this practice CAT before (or seen any of the questions before?)? I ask because I know that you've previously taken Official CATs 1-3, but I'm not sure whether you've taken any of the other 3 Official CATs or not. While the most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC, retaking a CAT that you've already taken is NOT a realistic way to assess your skills - since you will likely see some 'repeat' questions that you have already faced. Unfortunately, seeing even a couple of repeats can 'throw off' the Scoring Algorithm and impact your pacing, energy levels, fatigue, etc. (meaning that they would likely all appear to be better than they actually are).

It's certainly possible that you have the necessary knowledge and skills to have earned this 760. You've taken the Official GMAT, so you know the exact details of Test Day. Did you take this CAT in a realistic fashion that matches what you faced when you took the Official GMAT? If you did, then this Score could very well be an accurate assessment of your current skills.

Rich

Hi! No, this was Test 4, which I did not attempt before. I tried to replicate the test conditions best I could, but I obviously took it in comfort of my own home and wrote with pen in paper rather than market and pad. Apart from that I think everything was identical to the real exam. I hope so, because I’m super nervous that I’m cheating myself somehow and will fall again on test date!

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi achbaa,

Taking the extra steps to make sure that you are taking your CATs in a realistic fashion is one of the keys to properly preparing for the Official GMAT (and at the bare minimum, that would mean that you take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). By taking that CAT at home, you side-stepped a number of issues that you WILL have to face when you take the Official GMAT, so this score result could be a bit inflated.

Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi achbaa,

760 is a fantastic practice test score. Regarding your ability to replicate that score on test day, why don’t you take another official practice exam to see how you score? This time, take the test in a library to better mimic test-day conditions. If you score in a similar range on the next practice exam, I’d say that you certainly have a shot at a great score on your GMAT.

Once you take your next practice exam, feel free to reach out. Also, you may find it helpful to read the following article:

Taking GMAT Practice Tests
GMAT Club Bot