Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 295 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: IIMU PGPX (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V25
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27 (Online)
Send PM
Re: There are 6 people at a party sitting at a round table with 6 seats: A [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma

Hi

i m completely confused to infer the exact meaning of constraints of following questions.

1. There are 6 people, A, B, C, D, E and F. They have to sit around a circular
table such that A cannot sit next to D and F at the same time. How many such
arrangements are possible?

2. There are 6 people, A, B, C, D, E and F. They have to sit around a circular
table such that A can sit neither next to D nor next to F. How many such

Kindly help me in getting over the confusion....

Per my understanding, the solution for both these questions are same.
But Per OA & your Combinatorics article, solutions are different as the constraints given are completely diff.

Please elaborate with an example.

Thanks in advance

Raju
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: There are 6 people at a party sitting at a round table with 6 seats: A [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
gvvsnraju@12 wrote:
VeritasKarishma

Hi

i m completely confused to infer the exact meaning of constraints of following questions.

1. There are 6 people, A, B, C, D, E and F. They have to sit around a circular
table such that A cannot sit next to D and F at the same time. How many such

2. There are 6 people, A, B, C, D, E and F. They have to sit around a circular
table such that A can sit neither next to D nor next to F. How many such

Kindly help me in getting over the confusion....

Per my understanding, the solution for both these questions are same.
But Per OA & your Combinatorics article, solutions are different as the constraints given are completely diff.

Please elaborate with an example.

Thanks in advance

Raju

Yes, they are different questions.

"A cannot sit next to D and F at the same time"
implies DAF is not possible and FAD is not possible. But AD (or DA) can sit together and FA (or AF) can sit together. Just that both F and D cannot sit next to A at the same time but one of them can sit next to A if the other does not.

"A can sit neither next to D nor next to F"
DA or AD is not possible. Also, AF or FA is not possible. Then of course, FAD or DAF is also not possible.
A cannot sit next to either of the two independently also.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
mrdanielkim wrote:
i figured it out after taking a break from studying. thanks anyway!

here's the solution anyway, though the book has the question worded differently:

Q: IN how many ways can 6 people be seated at a round table if one of those seated cannot sit next to two of the other five:

A: Six people can be seated around a round table in 5! ways. there are 2 ways that the two unwelcome people could sit next to the person in question and 3! ways of arranging the other three. This is subtracted from the base case of 5!, giving the result of 108.

This question is different from the one posted above.

There are two versions and the answer would be different in the two cases.

Let me pick this version first:
There are 6 people (say A, B, C, D, E and F). They have to sit around a circular table such that one of them, say A, cannot sit next to D and F at the same time. (This means that A can sit next to D but not while F is on A's other side. Similarly, A can sit next to F too but not while D is on A's other side)

Total number of ways of arranging 6 people in a circle = 5! = 120

In how many of these 120 ways will A be between D and F?

We make DAF sit on three consecutive seats and make other 3 people sit in 3! ways.
or we make FAD sit of three consecutive seats and make other 3 people sit in 3! ways.
In all, we make A sit next to D and F simultaneously in 12 ways.

120 - 12 = 108 is the number of ways in which D and F are not sitting next to A at the same time.

The second version which seemed like the intended meaning of the original poster:
There are 6 people (say A, B, C, D, E and F). They have to sit around a circular table such that one of them, say A, can sit neither next to D nor next to F. (This means that A cannot sit next to D in any case and A cannot sit next to F in any case.)

Here, we say that A has to sit next to two of B, C and E.
Let's choose 2 of B, C and E in 3C2 = 3 ways. Let's arrange them around A in 2 ways (say we choose B and C. We could have BAC or CAB). We make these 3 sit on any 3 consecutive seats in 1 way. Number of ways of arranging these 3 people = 3*2 = 6

The rest of the 3 people can sit in 3! = 6 ways
Total number of ways in which A will sit neither next to D nor next to F = 6*6 = 36 ways

Karishma, would it be ok to calc the number of wayes of i.e AD, then the n.of Ways of say FAD and then substract them all from 5! ?

For example it could look smth like this = 5! - 2*4!- 6*3! which yields 36

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Problem Solving (PS) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
Math Expert
92900 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts