Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:10 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
The MIT guy... [#permalink]
... said me if I'm going to marry to get a J1, in order to allow my wife to be J2 and then to get a job.

Talking about the TOEFL, one friend of mine said me that the test room is very noisy. The sits are not separated and it might happen that someone is speaking while you are listening. I hope to get at least a 90. Even if some schools ask for a score of 100 or higher, this request does not sound as a compulsory requirement (especially if you have a strong GMAT score).

My "battle plan" is the following:
- september: TOEFL
- october: LORs
- november: SOP
- december: send the apps
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yes, I was thinking of the J1 visa. However, if I understand correctly, for the J visa, you have to leave US for 2 years after completion. That will limit your employment opportunities post-studies (unless you do not intend to work in US in the first place).

TOEFL - yes it will be noisy, even with the headset on. This is distracting especially during the speaking section. It will be good if you go to the test center early so that you can be among the first few test takers. This way, when you start your speaking, there are fewer people who are speaking at the same time.

Your battle plan - why don't you start your LOR asap? It is always good to give your recommenders more time.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yes, it is a good idea to meet the reccomenders as soon as possible. The point is I think I'm going to change my job to start working in corporate finance (a little experience on the subjects of the Phd) and I will move to Milan, the city in which my reccomenders are located. Now I'm working from 8:30 a.m. to 10 p.m (consulting firm...) in a city at about 40 miles from Milan... thus I think I will wait for october. :-)

Of course, I will make some phone calls this week... to send them the materials they need to start writing.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
robbie - I just got my teofl. 114.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations! Outstanding score! :-D
Now you're pretty sure to be enrolled in a top program!

Now it's my turn... even if I don't think I will get a so high score ;-)

And what about your partial scores? Did you score well in the speaking section too?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Total 114 (R=29, L=30, S=26, W=29). Not sure how good a score is 26 for S.

I honestly think the TOEFL is among the least important differentiator in the app. More important than the name and address, but less significant than gender and age. :lol:

I'm sure you can do well for it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Just check with some of the schools regarding the financial certification. One school told me to skip this section during the application. I only need to submit this if I have been accepted.

Yet another school said that the certification is part of the application requirement.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
For all I know, most schools don't require the applicants to ask for financial support. They are automatically considered for it if they are admitted.

In the meanwhile I got my transripts. 3 pages each for 30 copies (15 for my Bachelor degree and 15 for my Msc)... for a total of 90 paper sheets. Thank God such service is free of charge :-D
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4380 posts