Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5582 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 195
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: IIMA PGPX'22
GPA: 4
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [6]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: New GMAC Product: "Official Advanced Questions" is Available! [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
mk96 wrote:
MikeScarn wrote:
It looks there will be 100 brand new questions. 46 verbal questions and 54 quantitative questions are never before seen and have not appeared in any previous GMAT Official Prep products.

I, for one, am very much looking forward to taking a look at these 100 new questions.

GMATNinja - hey, how would you rate the level of difficulty of the question provided by GMAC in their advanced book?
Are they really "that" tough as the actual difficult ones thrown by them on test day?

Thanks, please respond.

I'm not a big fan of the GMAT Advanced book, to be honest. Apparently, Wiley Publishing handed ~1500 retired questions to a contractor, and asked them to pick 300 of them for inclusion in the book. Generally speaking, Wiley doesn't succeed in hiring great people to tackle this type of task, and it shows.

I won't go too crazy with my list of complaints about the book, but the quant categories make very little sense, and the SC questions are overwhelmingly idiom-based, and not at all a reasonable sample of what the exam actually looks like. Basically, the questions were selected based on one person's opinion of what "advanced" means, and that didn't produce a very good result. Also, a substantial proportion of the questions appeared in much older resources (paper tests or old OG editions), so it's not entirely new.

Is it worth buying? Sure, if you just need more official practice questions, it doesn't hurt to use this one. But it's not fundamentally a good product.

I hope that helps a bit!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
mk96 wrote:
MikeScarn wrote:
It looks there will be 100 brand new questions. 46 verbal questions and 54 quantitative questions are never before seen and have not appeared in any previous GMAT Official Prep products.

I, for one, am very much looking forward to taking a look at these 100 new questions.

GMATNinja - hey, how would you rate the level of difficulty of the question provided by GMAC in their advanced book?
Are they really "that" tough as the actual difficult ones thrown by them on test day?

Thanks, please respond.

I'm not a big fan of the GMAT Advanced book, to be honest. Apparently, Wiley Publishing handed ~1500 retired questions to a contractor, and asked them to pick 300 of them for inclusion in the book. Generally speaking, Wiley doesn't succeed in hiring great people to tackle this type of task, and it shows.

I won't go too crazy with my list of complaints about the book, but the quant categories make very little sense, and the SC questions are overwhelmingly idiom-based, and not at all a reasonable sample of what the exam actually looks like. Basically, the questions were selected based on one person's opinion of what "advanced" means, and that didn't produce a very good result. Also, a substantial proportion of the questions appeared in much older resources (paper tests or old OG editions), so it's not entirely new.

Is it worth buying? Sure, if you just need more official practice questions, it doesn't hurt to use this one. But it's not fundamentally a good product.

I hope that helps a bit!

Thanks a lot- as always you have provided a very detailed answer- totally hits what I was looking for.
I have the product and I agree on the SC idioms-based questions
Also, could you please suggest how to determine that I am test ready to say score 750-760 on GMAT? Some people on the forum have mentioned that the official gmac prep mocks 1-6 are not that difficult as the ones on the actual paper? What do you think I should be referring to in that case? What is true representation of actual gmat level/questions then?

Thanks and apologies for a follow up
Mk96.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
mk96 wrote:
Also, could you please suggest how to determine that I am test ready to say score 750-760 on GMAT? Some people on the forum have mentioned that the official gmac prep mocks 1-6 are not that difficult as the ones on the actual paper?

Yeah, that myth seems to circulate far too often. Those mba.com practice tests are the closest you'll ever get to the real thing, and nothing else is remotely comparable.

Usually, when people say that the practice tests felt much easier than the real thing, it's either because they're freaking out on the real test (which is really, really common), or because they recognized some of the questions on the practice tests. This article addresses some of the reasons why somebody's practice test scores might not match their actual exam scores, and might be worth a read.

I hope that helps a bit!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
mk96 wrote:
Also, could you please suggest how to determine that I am test ready to say score 750-760 on GMAT? Some people on the forum have mentioned that the official gmac prep mocks 1-6 are not that difficult as the ones on the actual paper?

Yeah, that myth seems to circulate far too often. Those mba.com practice tests are the closest you'll ever get to the real thing, and nothing else is remotely comparable.

Usually, when people say that the practice tests felt much easier than the real thing, it's either because they're freaking out on the real test (which is really, really common), or because they recognized some of the questions on the practice tests. This article addresses some of the reasons why somebody's practice test scores might not match their actual exam scores, and might be worth a read.

I hope that helps a bit!

Wonderful. Thanks for guiding to me these articles.
Could you please let me know the full mocks that I should be purchasing or looking for online?
I think I want to 20-30 mocks before taking a GMAT date.
Could you please tell me the resources? MGMAT? SIGMA X? VERITAS? EXPERT GLOBAL? OFFICIAL MOCKS?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
mk96 wrote:
MikeScarn wrote:

Thanks, please respond.

I hope that helps a bit!

Hi GMATNinja, What sources do you suggest for practice of advanced Verbal and Quant question?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GPA: 3.56
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Divya10n wrote:
GMATNinja[/url], What sources do you suggest for practice of advanced Verbal and Quant question?

GMATNinja, I liked the honest opinion from you. And it helps a lot - as always.

And I am eager to know answer for question from Divya10n.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3