Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:24 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [13]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [6]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [2]
Given Kudos: 160
GPA: 3.9
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [1]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Re: In comparison to people, elephants are capable of perceiving a much wi [#permalink]
Kudos
Quote:
In comparison to people, elephants are capable of perceiving a much wider variety of sounds; in fact, an elephant’s ears can pick up frequencies more than 20 Hertz lower than what human ears can hear.

The sentence tests comparison. Let's see which option properly compares frequencies that elephant's ears can pick up with frequencies that human ears can hear.

A) lower than what human ears can hear
If we replace what with frequencies, we get "elephant's ears can pick up frequencies more than 20 Hz lower than frequencies human ears can hear". Ideally, we would want to have "that" between frequencies and human. I guess we need "human's ears".

B) lower than those by human ears
Replace those by frequencies. The sentence does not make sense.

C) lower in opposition to the range that human ears have
This is so wordy and awkward that one should not like this option right away.

D) lower than those perceptible to human ears
Replace those by frequencies. The sentence makes sense. Let's keep it.

E) lower as opposed to humans’ hearing
It is illogical to compare frequencies with humans' hearing.

Frankly, it was hard for me to decide between (A) and (D). I picked (A) originally, but there are more reasons to go for (D) than for (A).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Re: In comparison to people, elephants are capable of perceiving a much wi [#permalink]
Kudos
This one seems fine to me at the first glance, but "what human ears can hear" should refer to the sound that human ears can hear. And sound should not be compare with frequencies.
If "those" refers to frequencies, “frequencies by human ears" doesn't make sense.
"than" is missing
If "those" refers to frequencies, "frequencies perceptible to human ears" looks fine to me.
"than" is missing
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
GPA: 3.9
WE:Education (Accounting)
Send PM
Kudos
In comparison to people, elephants are capable of perceiving a much wider variety of sounds; in fact, an elephant’s ears can pick up frequencies more than 20 Hertz lower than what human ears can hear.

Lower should be followed by than, so can eliinated C and E. The original sentence is comparing elephant's ears' capability to human ears' capability. In this case, IMHO 'what' goes better than 'those'. A is the correct option.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [1]
Given Kudos: 294
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 630 Q42 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q48 V34
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos

The question tests comparison, so we need to ensure that comparable items are grammatically and logically correct.

Quote:
for the sake of proper comparison, we need to compare frequencies to frequencies, not to "what human ears can hear"

Quote:
- "those" refers to "frequencies", so if we replace demonstrative pronoun, we'll have "lower than frequencies by human ears". Now meaning suggests that these frequencies not perceived by human ears but rather produced by them.

Quote:

Easy to eliminate: when two items are compared, comparative adjectives can be used only with "than": more than, better than, lower than, etc.

Quote:
- correct choice. Demonstrative pronoun "those" stands for "frequencies", resulting in comparison of two logically comparable items.

Quote:
- same as C, can be easily eliminate for the same good reason - absence of "than"
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [1]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Kudos

Meaning: Elephants can perceive a much wider variety of sounds compared to humans. An elephant's ears can pick up frequencies more than 20 Hertz lower than those [frequencies] human ears can perceive.

A) lower than what human ears can hear.
Grammatically correct. I have kept option A for comparison with option D.

by is not appropriate in the context. The use of by makes human ears a prepositional phrase that illogically modifies those [frequencies]. It suggests that human ears produce frequencies, which is illogical. Eliminate B.

C) lower in opposition to the range that human ears have.
in opposition is unidiomatic and inappropriate in the context of comparison. We are dealing with similar abilities, hence there is no need to use words that show contrast. Eliminate option C.

This option is also correct grammatically. Option D is compared with option A below.

Similar to the issue of wrongful use of contrasting words when similarities between two entities are compared. Eliminate option E.

Now my headache was choosing between A and D. But looking at the meaning, option A: what humans can hear, means any frequency that humans can hear. It can be loud, medium, or it can be low. But the context requires a comparison between minimum frequency that human ears can hear and that an elephant's ear can perceive, of which we are informed that elephant's ear can hear frequencies 20Hz lower than what humans can hear. Based on this option A can be eliminated as a result of the ambiguity in meaning.
Option D on the other hand, those perceptible to human ears, means that frequencies that humans can barely hear. So it limits the frequency to low ranges and this makes more sense with the overall meaning of the sentence.

The right answer is option D.

The bottom line for me is that meaning is always key.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
The official explanation is here
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 106
Schools: Ivey
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Project SC Butler: Day 193: Sentence Correction (SC2)

B) lower than those [perceived] by human ears

• Lower . . . THAN

Because the comparative word "lower" must be paired with than, eliminate Answers C and E.

• The missing verb

To keep the sentence parallel, option B needs a verb.
LHS of the comparison:
. . . an elephant’s ears can pick up frequencies [much]
lower
than
RHS: those by human ears.

We need a verb before the word "by."
X must be done [heard] by Y.

Eliminate option B

• The better of two correct answers

Option A compares frequencies ( a "regular' noun) to what human beings can hear (a noun clause)

Option D compares frequencies with frequencies [those = frequencies]
The pronouns that and those make "new" and different copies of a noun.

Option D is better than option A.

(1) In (A), "what" is singular (so, too, is the full noun clause) and is probably not parallel with "frequencies."
We should compare the frequencies elephants can hear to the frequencies human ears can hear.
"What a human being can hear" is not necessarily specific to frequencies.

(2)option D makes it clear that we are comparing frequencies [that elephants can hear] to "frequencies" [those] [that human beings can hear.

(3) finally, if we want to get really picky (which we sometimes must on the MGAT),
the pairing in (A) is not as straightforward as that in (D).
(noun ↔ noun clause) in option A is not as good as the comparison in (D) between (noun ↔ pronoun)

D is the answer.D

COMMENTS

winter5526 , welcome to SC Butler. :)

There are a few outstanding answers. Very nicely done.

Has option B been changed?

"B) lower than those perceived by human ears" - This is what I see.

Is it wrong?
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [1]
Send PM
Expert Reply
kunaldutt15 wrote:
generis wrote:
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Is it wrong?

Yes. Thank you.+1

Just now I edited the question back to its original.
If you look at all the posts that quote (B), you will see the correctly transcribed option B.

I have changed (B) back to the original.
My apologies.

Last night I accidentally posted my explanation in the question space rather than in the space just below the question.

I overwrote the original post when I did so.
I re-posted the question and options—but I used my explanation's already-annotated version. (Wrong.)

The original version has been restored, this way:

B) lower than those by human ear
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
Schools: Ivey
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
Send PM
generis wrote:
kunaldutt15 wrote:
generis wrote:
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Is it wrong?

Yes. Thank you.+1

Just now I edited the question back to its original.
If you look at all the posts that quote (B), you will see the correctly transcribed option B.

I have changed (B) back to the original.
My apologies.

Last night I accidentally posted my explanation in the question space rather than in the space just below the question.

I overwrote the original post when I did so.
I re-posted the question and options—but I used my explanation's already-annotated version. (Wrong.)

The original version has been restored, this way:

B) lower than those by human ear

Thank you.

Just out of curiosity - which one out of these 2 is a better choice?

A- lower than those perceptible to human ears
or
B- lower than those perceived by human ears
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [1]
Send PM
In comparison to people, elephants are capable of perceiving a much wi [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
kunaldutt15 wrote:

Thank you.

Just out of curiosity - which one out of these 2 is a better choice?

A- lower than those perceptible to human ears
or
B- lower than those perceived by human ears

kunaldutt15 - As an editor and writer, I would choose (A).

The word "perceptible" means capable of being perceived.

The sentence stresses that elephants can hear sounds that human beings cannot.
In other words, sounds at certain frequencies will never be heard by the human ear; those sounds are imperceptible to human ears.

The word "perceived" can mean "capable of being perceived."
But "Perceived" can also mean "what has [already] been perceived,"
or "adjudged."

Both are correct. "Perceptible" is closer to what I think the sentence suggests.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts