Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.95
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 512 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Seek Guidance and Share GMAT Experience [#permalink]
Just believe in official mocks right now. You're continuously hitting Q51, so it seems that your verbal score is somewhat unexpected. You should take some official mocks (e.g., gmatprep 3-6). Only official mocks can judge your ability in GMAT!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Asad,

Thanks for your reply. I completely agree with your point, and will surely give those before the actual exam.

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3450 [0]
Given Kudos: 162
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V30
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
DeepakGuneja wrote:
Hi,

I started my GMAT Preparation a few months back. I read Manhattan Verbal Books and purchased Experts' Global Mock Tests. I was quite consistent in Mocks and scored ~730 on average (ranging from 710 to 760). I scored 740 in my GMATPrep-1 (Q-51, V-39), and 710 in GMATPrep-2 (Q-51, V-35). I gave my GMAT this 12th October and scored 650 (Q-51, V-27, IR-7, AWA-4.0). I didn't know exactly where I went wrong (I faced an issue at the Exam Centre which might be an excuse from my side but I would like to put it so as to get any guidance on how to avoid it again - The issue was that Examiner asked me to close the marker while not using it as it might get dried because of AC, and while giving Exam I was unable to do that because of the exam flow, eventually drying-up the markers. I literally asked 5 times for the markers).

I assumed marker thing as an excuse and bought e-GMAT Course so as to prepare in a better and structured way. To know my current level they asked me to give a Diagnostic Test (SigmaX-Mock1) in which I scored 730 (Q-49, V-40). Now, I am preparing from this course from last 20-25 days, and gave an Experts' Global Mock-12 today in which I scored 760(Q-50, V-42). Finally, my question is how should I judge my current ability so as to avoid the mistakes which I did the first time. Kindly help me over this.

Thank you.

For verbal, go through the solutions of the official guide, especially the RC. Also take timed sectional tests for verbal, that should help you.

All the best.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi DeepakGuneja,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
3) What is your overall goal score?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 512 [1]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
DeepakGuneja wrote:
Hi sjas31,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, you are correct, verbal only fluctuated and I scored V-27 and Q-51 in GMAT. I actually got my ESR checked with some of the Experts, and they said I have conceptual gaps and to remove those I bought e-GMAT Course. But I still wonder, if I do have many conceptual gaps then how could I possibly scored well in various types of Mocks (close to 10 EG Mocks, 2 Officials and just after GMAT, 1 SigmaX), I am just pondering over this so as not to repeat the mistakes again. (Also, I want to attach ESR here, but it is saying that I can't attach it because I don't have at least 5 posts on GMAT Club)

Yeah, I have already bought Official Mocks (3-6), and am planning to give those before the Official Exam.

Also, what's your take on EG's mock, how well do they represent the score?

Thanks again for the help.

Hi DeepakGuneja .. I feel the same like you that it's not the matter of your knowledge. I assume that you made some silly mistakes, picked up the answers in a hurry and made consecutive errors. Anyway, let's end this assumption topic and move forward. I think other prep companies mocks are good to practice but consider only official mocks for your ability. All the best.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Seek Guidance and Share GMAT Experience [#permalink]
Dillesh4096 wrote:

For verbal, go through the solutions of the official guide, especially the RC. Also take timed sectional tests for verbal, that should help you.

All the best.

Hi Dillesh4096

Sure, will do that. Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi DeepakGuneja,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
3) What is your overall goal score?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

Rich

Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC

Thank you for your reply.

Yeah, I agree with you and feel that the latter might be the case because I took Official Mocks giving all the 4 sections, taking breaks, and following the same order (Verbal then Quant) which I followed on the actual exam.

Studies:
1. ~2 hours on weekdays and ~4-5 hours on weekends => ~20 hours/week
2. Official Mock -1 (740 - Q51, V39) on 2nd October and Official Mock-2 (710 - Q51, V35) on 11th October, and my GMAT was on 12th October.

Goals:
1. Now, I am targetting 750+.
2. Between January 2020 end and February 2020 start.
3. I am a recent graduate, so it doesn't make sense to apply for MBA right now. I am planning to apply for a few Finance Degrees (MFA in London Business School, MFE in Haas, MSCF in CMU, MSc International Finance in HEC Paris) => Nearly all have Round 2 or 3 deadlines in early March 2020.

I am attaching my ESR. (I read on GMAT Club that it is a good practice to attach images instead of pdfs, so attaching images.)

I would be really grateful to you for analyzing my ESR.

Thanks again.
Attachments

ESR_Pg10.JPG
ESR_Pg10.JPG [ 42.05 KiB | Viewed 884 times ]

ESR_Pg9.JPG
ESR_Pg9.JPG [ 100.94 KiB | Viewed 885 times ]

ESR_Pg8.JPG
ESR_Pg8.JPG [ 65.34 KiB | Viewed 887 times ]

ESR_Pg7.JPG
ESR_Pg7.JPG [ 86.18 KiB | Viewed 891 times ]

ESR_Pg6.JPG
ESR_Pg6.JPG [ 73.97 KiB | Viewed 888 times ]

ESR_Pg5.JPG
ESR_Pg5.JPG [ 60.95 KiB | Viewed 888 times ]

ESR_Pg4.JPG
ESR_Pg4.JPG [ 51.59 KiB | Viewed 867 times ]

ESR_Pg3.JPG
ESR_Pg3.JPG [ 75.29 KiB | Viewed 885 times ]

ESR_Pg2.JPG
ESR_Pg2.JPG [ 85.69 KiB | Viewed 884 times ]

ESR_Pg1.JPG
ESR_Pg1.JPG [ 102.31 KiB | Viewed 883 times ]

Intern
Intern
Send PM
sjas31 wrote:
Hi DeepakGuneja .. I feel the same like you that it's not the matter of your knowledge. I assume that you made some silly mistakes, picked up the answers in a hurry and made consecutive errors. Anyway, let's end this assumption topic and move forward. I think other prep companies mocks are good to practice but consider only official mocks for your ability. All the best.

Hi sjas31,

I think you are right, I should drop the assumption topic and move forward. Yeah, I will take other Mocks for practicing questions and Official Mocks to see where I stand. Thank you.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi DeepakGuneja,

I've sent you a PM with an analysis of your ESR and some additional questions.

Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22049 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi DeepakGuneja,

Based on your experience at the test center and your scores on GMAT practice exams, you seem to be in a pretty nice spot regarding verbal. That said, have you taken any more official practice exams? If not, you may consider taking the third GMAC practice exam to see how you do. Once you take that exam, feel free to report back here and I can provide some further advice. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi DeepakGuneja,

I've sent you a PM with an analysis of your ESR and some additional questions.

Rich

Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC,

I have replied you there, and Thanks again for all analysis.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi DeepakGuneja,

Based on your experience at the test center and your scores on GMAT practice exams, you seem to be in a pretty nice spot regarding verbal. That said, have you taken any more official practice exams? If not, you may consider taking the third GMAC practice exam to see how you do. Once you take that exam, feel free to report back here and I can provide some further advice. Good luck!

Hi ScottTargetTestPrep,

Thank you for your reply. No, I haven't taken any more Official Practice Exams yet, but surely I will do that soon and will update here.

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22049 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
DeepakGuneja wrote:

Thank you for your reply. No, I haven't taken any more Official Practice Exams yet, but surely I will do that soon and will update here.

Perfect. Just let me know.
GMAT Club Bot