Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Weakenx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [3]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1103
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [8]

Send PM
Re: Images from ground-based telescopes are invariably distorted by the Ea [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Quote:
Images from ground-based telescopes are invariably distorted by the Earth's atmosphere. Orbiting space telescopes, however, operating above Earth's atmosphere, should provide superbly detailed images. Therefore, ground-based telescopes will soon become obsolete for advanced astronomical research purposes.

Which of the following statements, if true, would cast the most doubt on the conclusion drawn above?

(A) An orbiting space telescope due to be launched this year is far behind schedule and over budget, whereas the largest ground-based telescope was both within budget and on schedule.

(B) Ground-based telescopes located on mountain summits are not subject to the kinds of atmospheric distortion which, at low altitudes, make stars appear to twinkle.

(C) By careful choice of observatory location, it is possible for large-aperture telescopes to avoid most of the kind of wind turbulence that can distort image quality.

(D) When large-aperture telescopes are located at high altitudes near the equator, they permit the best Earth-based observations of the center of the Milky Way Galaxy, a prime target of astronomical research.

(E) Detailed spectral analyses, upon which astronomers rely for determining the chemical composition and evolutionary history of stars, require telescopes with more light-gathering capacity than space telescopes can provide.

oanhsokie wrote:
Can anyone please explain for me why A is not correct? Since it seems like ground-based is much more practical than space telescope.

Choice (A) only talks about two specific telescopes, and that is not enough data to make general statements about the practicality of each technology. Also, just because a space telescope is behind schedule and over budget does not necessarily mean that the technology is impractical or unaffordable. The planners may have underestimated the costs, but that doesn't tell us how the actual costs compare to the actual costs of ground-telescopes. Finally, space telescopes might become more cost-efficient and practical as the technology is developed. Thus, even if space telescopes are less practical now, that does not imply that they won't eventually replace ground-telescopes as costs go down.

csaluja wrote:
could anyone please explain to me why option D is incorrect?

Choice (D) just tells us the best way to use ground-based telescopes. The arrangement described might be better than any other EARTH-BASED arrangement, but if a space telescope is even better than the BEST ground-based setup, then the ground-based telescopes will likely become obsolete.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Re: Images from ground-based telescopes are invariably distorted by the Ea [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Sorry experts I just don't understand how E is the correct answer:

It just says that for more detailed studies astronomers should use telescopes with more light-gathering capacity than space telescopes can provide......... NO ONE SAYS THAT GROUND-BASED TELESCOPES CAN PROVIDE THAT CAPACITY, CHOOSING ANSWER E I HAVE TO MAKE AN IMPORTANT ASSUMPTION THAT IS NOT SPECIFIED ANYWHERE IN THE TEXT....
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [3]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Fedemaravilla wrote:

It just says that for more detailed studies astronomers should use telescopes with more light-gathering capacity than space telescopes can provide......... NO ONE SAYS THAT GROUND-BASED TELESCOPES CAN PROVIDE THAT CAPACITY, CHOOSING ANSWER E I HAVE TO MAKE AN IMPORTANT ASSUMPTION THAT IS NOT SPECIFIED ANYWHERE IN THE TEXT....
Let's put some of the information given in the stimulus and in option E down:

1. Astronomers rely on DSA. This means that astronomers are already using DSA to determine the chemical composition and evolutionary history of stars.
2. Space telescopes cannot provide DSA; DSA can be provided only by telescopes with more light-gathering capacity than space telescopes can provide. So DSA needs non-space telescopes.

Because astronomers are already using DSA, and space telescopes can't do DSA, astronomers must be using telescopes that are not space telescopes. Such telescopes must be terrestrial (the opposite of space). Hence E is quite solid as an answer choice.

More generally, you'll find that the correct option does very often involve a "stretch". The GMAT doesn't say how much of a stretch is too much, but a little bit is okay. It'd be very hard to make a compact CR question if the question makers could not take certain things for granted. In this case, as soon as we see that E gives us a weakness (of space telescopes), we should be seriously considering it as a "candidate" option.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [3]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
AjiteshArun wrote:
Fedemaravilla wrote:

Let's put some of the information given in the stimulus and in option E down:

1. Astronomers rely on DSA. This means that astronomers are already using DSA to determine the chemical composition and evolutionary history of stars.
2. Space telescopes cannot provide DSA; DSA can be provided only by telescopes with more light-gathering capacity than space telescopes can provide. So DSA needs non-space telescopes.

Because astronomers are already using DSA, and space telescopes can't do DSA, astronomers must be using telescopes that are not space telescopes. Such telescopes must be terrestrial (the opposite of space). Hence E is quite solid as an answer choice.

More generally, you'll find that the correct option does very often involve a "stretch". The GMAT doesn't say how much of a stretch is too much, but a little bit is okay. It'd be very hard to make a compact CR question if the question makers could not take certain things for granted. In this case, as soon as we see that E gives us a weakness (of space telescopes), we should be seriously considering it as a "candidate" option.

AjiteshArun, thanks for the great response!

The other key to this question is that we are looking for something that "would cast the most doubt on the conclusion drawn above."

So we just need something that would make us question the author's logic/conclusion. The author says that space telescopes should provide superbly detailed images. Therefore, ground telescopes will soon become obsolete. In reaching the conclusion, the author is only considering image quality.

Choice (E) says, "You (author) might be right about image quality, but you haven't considered DSA." So even if we don't know that ground telescopes have the capacity needed for DSA, we already have a reason to doubt the author's logic. The author was ONLY considering image quality and failed to consider DSA.

As explained perfectly by AjiteshArun, it is very reasonable to suspect that ground telescopes have such capacity. However, even without knowing that for sure, we've already poked a hole in the author's argument. That doesn't necessarily PROVE that the author is wrong, but it certainly casts doubt on the argument/conclusion.

None of the other answer choices affect the author's argument, so (E) is definitely the best answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 407
Send PM
AjiteshArun

GMATNinja

i have gone through your explanation regarding option e. i am still not convinced why e is correct and b is not as, as per me, both b and e weaken the argument.

the argument is precisely about two types of telescopes ie type X and type Y. The author tells us something bad(in terms of image quality) about type X and tells us something good(in terms of image quality) about type Y. The author draws a conclusion regarding type X ie that type X will become obsolete due to bad image quality. ........... Clearly the author has assumed something good about type Y ie. type Y will not become obsolete. So to weaken the assumption, we need an option that tells us something bad about the type Y telescope. Option E clearly does that.

Option B clearly indicates that Type X will not / should not become obsolete as type X's position can be adjusted(if kept on mountain summits) to get a decent image quality. Also the fact that type X, if kept on mountain summit, won't be influenced by atmospheric pressure clearly makes answer choice B an interesting one.

All in all, option B directly attacks the entire argument and option E clearly weakens the assumption. You and I both know that both 'attacking/weakening the entire argument' and 'weakening the assumption' are correct when it comes to weaken questions. how do i choose between the two??

kindly help..

I look forward to hearing from you.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [4]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi aditliverpoolfc,

You're thinking along the right lines. Just a couple of quick points:

aditliverpoolfc wrote:
the argument is precisely about two types of telescopes ie type X and type Y. The author tells us something bad(in terms of image quality) about type X and tells us something good(in terms of image quality) about type Y. The author draws a conclusion regarding type X ie that type X will become obsolete due to bad image quality. ........... Clearly the author has assumed something good about type Y ie. type Y will not become obsolete. So to weaken the assumption, we need an option that tells us something bad about the type Y telescope. Option E clearly does that.
Your reasoning is spot on. According to E, ground-based telescopes have more light-gathering capacity than space telescopes do. So ground-based telescopes make "detailed spectral analyses" possible, even though the pictures they generate are affected by atmospheric distortion.

For example, if someone argues that mobile phone screens always have higher DPI than desktop monitors and will therefore make desktop monitors obsolete, we can weaken that by saying that working on large spreadsheets and documents is easier on desktop monitors than it is on phone screens. That is, monitors may not be as sharp as phone screens, but more content can fit on a monitor than on a phone screen.

aditliverpoolfc wrote:
Option B clearly indicates that Type X will not / should not become obsolete as type X's position can be adjusted(if kept on mountain summits) to get a decent image quality. Also the fact that type X, if kept on mountain summit, won't be influenced by atmospheric pressure clearly makes answer choice B an interesting one.
The first sentence says:
Images from ground-based telescopes are invariably distorted by the Earth's atmosphere.

Option B says:
Ground-based telescopes located on mountain summits are not subject to the kinds of atmospheric distortion which, at low altitudes, make stars appear to twinkle.

It's important to recognize that this option does not mean that ground-based telescopes located on mountain summits are not affected by atmospheric distortion at all. It just means that such telescopes are not affected by some (specific) types of atmospheric distortion (the ones that make stars appear to twinkle).

It may help if we replace the which with a that (GMAT sentence correction to the rescue :)):

Ground-based telescopes located on mountain summits are not subject to the kinds of atmospheric distortion that make stars appear to twinkle.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 315
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V29
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja could help clear my small doubt?

The premise does not state that the ground-based telescopes are telescopes with more light-gathering capacity.
Although, option E states that space telescopes might not be reliable but how can this cast a doubt on the obsolescence of the ground-based telescope?
There might be other telescopes with light-gathering capacity which are not ground based....

Thank you,
Dablu
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [4]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
gurudabl If space-based telescopes can't do this job, then their superior quality doesn't guarantee that they will take over for all tasks. There's no indication that any other sort of telescope exists beyond ground-based and space-based, but even if such an option showed up (balloon-based?), we wouldn't know that these would be appropriate, either. All we need to know is that space-based telescopes cannot do the job, so it's premature to say that ground-based telescopes are obsolete without further information.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [1]
Given Kudos: 174
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
WE:Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
To be honest, I was desperate with this question. As timer ran and I still couldn't think up any reasoning helping me arrive at a choice, I started to notice the word "obsolete", which means "no longer used because something new has been invented". So there should be sth "new, just invented" but with flaws be presented here in order to argue that the ground-based will not be obsolete. This diverted my thinking from the ground-based telescopes (as the conclusion is all about ground-based, it's natural to keep going around it) to the space-based ones, though (probably) newer, more recently invented, might still have some drawbacks, which could weaken the conclusion.
And so E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
My problem with this question is that E does not indicate that ground-based telescopes provide the light-capturing capacity that is necessary. Just because space telescopes do not provide such a capacity, does not mean that ground-based telescopes do. For E to break a hole in the argument that ground-based telescopes will become obsolete soon for advanced astronomical research, we MUST know that they offer such capacity. Otherwise, both telescopes might as well be obsolete for such an objective. I don't necessarily agree with GMATNinja 's reasoning above.

I chose A as the least worst answer. The only thing that it did do is explain that, at least soon (which is technically in the eye of the beholder), ground-based telescopes won't be obsolete, regardless of their use.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63666 [1]

Send PM