Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:42 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [9]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.87
WE:Web Development (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [3]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.87
WE:Web Development (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [4]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 550 Q44 V23
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: Shortness, reduced mobility and sore joints may not come to mind when [#permalink]
Kudos
1. Which evolutionary paradox has the author touched upon in the passage?

A. The higher the number of red blood cells, the higher is the protection against malaria. - Inconsistent
B. A genetic mutation that provided protection against the cold and fractures in the past now enhances the risk of osteoporosis and arthritis.- as stated in 1st para
C. The very abundance of genomes contributes to increasing the risk of osteoarthritis. - Inconsistent
D. Less oxygen throughout the body will lead to a decrease in immunity against malaria. - opposite
E. None of these - out of scope

2. Which of the following can possibly be one of the many cases where evolution is a trade-off?

It means we need to check that answer choice which shows that the natural occurrence is good and bad at same point.

A. Sacrificing a few hours of sleep so we can get up early in the morning and work on our fitness. - out of scope
B. Prescription of hormone replacement therapy to post-menopausal women – while it may reduce the risk of ovarian cancer, it will reduce the risk of breast cancer. - Inconsistent
C. While higher birth weight provides a higher chance of survival in the first few weeks after birth, babies that are too large have higher susceptibility to airborne infections. - good and bad at the same point
D. Certain variants of a gene called APOL1 either make people resistant to trypanosomal infections or increase the risk of kidney failure. - Inconsistent

3. Which of the following statements correctly highlights the impact of shorter stature on modern humans as can be inferred from the passage?

We need to link the shorter stature with modern humans

A. Shorter stature can protect humans against the risk of osteoporosis and arthritis. - Inconsistent. To early humans
B. Shorter stature can help in reducing the risk of life-threatening bone fractures. - Inconsistent. To early humans
C. Shorter stature can be a hindrance to fitness. - In the 2nd para, it said that it may cause arthritis to modern people.
D. Can not be inferred. - out of scope
E. Can be inferred but none of the options provided here. - out of scope

4. Which of the following statements is consistent with the information given in the passage

A. Generally, Europeans and Asians are shorter than Africans. . This can be concluded from the following line
"The change is prevalent in Europeans and Asians but rare in Africans."

B. GROW1 is responsible for causing shorter stature. - Inconsistent
C. The growth region GROW1 is endogenous to the GDF5 gene. - out of scope
D. The mutation in the GDF5 gene is one of the main reasons as to why arthritis is prevalent among Asians and Europeans. - Inconsistent

5. Which the following statements about the evolutionary studies mentioned in the passage is true?

A. There is a foolproof method to conclude the findings of the study in question. - out of scope
B. The studies may help in shaping up modern health care. - as stated in last para
C. Explaining why certain traits are favorable is more difficult than figuring out what those traits are. - opposite
D. The studies are full of paradoxes which make them more complex to understand. - opposite

6. Which of the following can be inferred from the passage?

A. People who have arthritis tend to survive extreme conditions better than those who don't. - out of scope
B. At one point of time, all the humans on Earth belonged to Africa. - from this line it can be inferred "early humans venturing out of Africa about 60,000 years ago."
C. The genetic mutation that makes people shorter is the reason why early humans survived the most recent ice age. - It is one of the reasons and it helped some of them not all
D. The traits that our ancestors found to be advantageous are the same traits that we find to be disadvantageous.. According to the following sentence
"While some traits resulting from this mutation may seem unfavorable today", it is not actually a disadvantage. It is seemed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 1962
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Re: Shortness, reduced mobility and sore joints may not come to mind when [#permalink]
5. Which the following statements about the evolutionary studies mentioned in the passage is true?

B. The studies may help in shaping up modern health care.
C. Explaining why certain traits are favorable is more difficult than figuring out what those traits are.

initially i Marked C for question 5 but later on after analysing RC i found B as the correct answer my reasoning is
RC says-

As with many aspects of evolutionary research, it’s easier to figure out what traits were favored than it is to explain why.

now it doesn't say for all the aspects hence option C is not always correct

whereas Option B is clearly mentioned in the last para

kindly correct me if i am wrong
ESMT Berlin School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [1]
Given Kudos: 104
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
Kudos
shubham2312 wrote:

B. The studies may help in shaping up modern health care.
C. Explaining why certain traits are favorable is more difficult than figuring out what those traits are.

initially I Marked C for question 5 but later on, after analyzing RC I found B as the correct answer my reasoning is
RC says-

As with many aspects of evolutionary research, it’s easier to figure out what traits were favored than it is to explain why.

now it doesn't say for all the aspects hence option C is not always correct
whereas Option B is clearly mentioned in the last para

kindly correct me if I am wrong

Q: Which the following statements about the evolutionary STUDIES mentioned in the passage are true?

Excerpt from the passage:
    As with MANY (not ALL) aspects of evolutionary RESEARCH ( not STUDIES ), it’s easier to figure out what traits were favored than it is to explain why.
    Meaning:
      what is easier than why.
      OR
      why is difficult than what.
    Option-C talks about the above inference. However, the statement revolves around MANY (not ALL) evolutionary RESEARCH ( not STUDIES )
    Now notice the last line of the passage:
    But detailed STUDIES like this can help further our understanding of complex evolutionary processes and the potential consequences for modern medicine and human health, Dr. Perry said.

Though I understand RESEARCH is synonymous to STUDIES, Every word plays a vital and distinct role in GMAT.
Since the Q purposefully asks about the evolutionary STUDIES, Option-B clearly triumphs over Option-C !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE:Brand Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
How is C an answer for Q3?
Is it because of this statement? - But the same gene puts humans at greater risk for arthritis in the modern era as they live well beyond their reproductive years...
Cannot infer anything in direction of fitness. Does GMAC assumes that candidates who appear in the exam have an understanding of what Arthritis is & how it impacts human health?

Same emotion for Q 6 answer B???
Is it because of this statement? - While some traits resulting from this mutation may seem unfavorable today, they were advantageous to early humans venturing out of Africa about 60,000 years ago...
How are we able to deduce that ALL HUMANS BELONGED TO AFRICA AT ONE POINT OF TIME?

What makes one eliminate choice C for Q 5?

Some expert please explain the logic for answers of these questions. It will be a great help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [2]
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
Kudos
tapasgupta wrote:

A. There is a foolproof method to conclude the findings of the study in question. - out of scope
B. The studies may help in shaping up modern health care. - as stated in last para
C. Explaining why certain traits are favorable is more difficult than figuring out what those traits are. - opposite
D. The studies are full of paradoxes which make them more complex to understand. - opposite

These explanations are great. But, I dont agree with the explanation for (C) of Q5. It is not the Opposite.
It is the same. One of the users has mentioned why it is the same. I agree for the most part of Xylan 's explanation of why (C) is wrong. I have also mentioned about the part with which I dont agree.

Xylan wrote:
Excerpt from the passage:
    As with MANY (not ALL) aspects of evolutionary RESEARCH ( not STUDIES ), it’s easier to figure out what traits were favored than it is to explain why.
    Meaning:
      what is easier than why.
      OR
      why is difficult than what.
Option-C talks about the above inference. However, the statement revolves around MANY (not ALL) evolutionary RESEARCH ( not STUDIES )

But Xylan,
Option(C):
Quote:
Explaining why CERTAIN traits are favorable is more difficult than figuring out what those traits are.[/color] - opposite

Passage:
Quote:
As with MANY aspects of evolutionary

Option (C) says CERTAIN Traits and not ALL. Hence, I find it consistent with "MANY" aspects in the passage. I wouldn't hold this against (C).
Though, I agree with the RESEARCH and STUDIES part.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM
https://gmatclub.com/forum/members/member-658588.html
please give explanations of the above passage all questions
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Bombsante wrote:
How is C an answer for Q3?
Is it because of this statement? - But the same gene puts humans at greater risk for arthritis in the modern era as they live well beyond their reproductive years...
Cannot infer anything in direction of fitness. Does GMAC assumes that candidates who appear in the exam have an understanding of what Arthritis is & how it impacts human health?

Same emotion for Q 6 answer B???
Is it because of this statement? - While some traits resulting from this mutation may seem unfavorable today, they were advantageous to early humans venturing out of Africa about 60,000 years ago...
How are we able to deduce that ALL HUMANS BELONGED TO AFRICA AT ONE POINT OF TIME?

What makes one eliminate choice C for Q 5?

Some expert please explain the logic for answers of these questions. It will be a great help.

Bump all these questions please
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts