Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:05 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [16]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT Date: 04-25-2015
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1024 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Re: Rob, Lewis, Ray, Susan, Mary, and Janet go to a movie and sit next to [#permalink]
johnd32 wrote:
Rob, Lewis, Ray, Susan, Mary, and Janet go to a movie and sit next to each other in 6 adjacent seats in the second row of the theater. If Rob, Ray, and Susan will not sit next to each other, in how many different arrangements can the six people sit?

Very simple question
total person are 6.

3 person cannot sit with each other

6!-( 4!*3!)=576
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1022 [2]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Re: Rob, Lewis, Ray, Susan, Mary, and Janet go to a movie and sit next to [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Rob, Lewis, Ray, Susan, Mary, and Janet go to a movie and sit next to each other in 6 adjacent seats in the second row of the theater. If Rob, Ray, and Susan will not sit next to each other, in how many different arrangements can the six people sit?

Total arrangement = Three of them together + Three of them not together
6! = 4! * 3! + Three of them not together (4! = L M J + Three of them, 3! = Rob, Ray, Susan- interchangeable)
Three of them not together = 720-144 = 576.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618733 [0]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Expert Reply
johnd32 wrote:

A. 144
B. 576
C. 714
D. 686
E. 696

Similar questions:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/greg-marcia- ... 42275.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/six-friends- ... fl=similar
https://gmatclub.com/forum/6-persons-ar ... fl=similar
https://gmatclub.com/forum/7-people-a-b ... fl=similar

Check other Arrangements in a Row and around a Table questions in our Special Questions Directory.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1444 [1]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel

I believe the question is rather ambiguous.

If Rob, Ray, and Susan will not sit next to each other, in how many different arrangements can the six people sit?

I guess this should mean that no two of them can sit together in addition to the fact that the three cannot sit together.

In this case the answer would be 144.

Can you please clarify?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618733 [0]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Expert Reply
firas92 wrote:
Bunuel

I believe the question is rather ambiguous.

If Rob, Ray, and Susan will not sit next to each other, in how many different arrangements can the six people sit?

I guess this should mean that no two of them can sit together in addition to the fact that the three cannot sit together.

In this case the answer would be 144.

Can you please clarify?

Agree. The question can be interpreted that way too. You can practice better questions from the link in my previous post.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 363 [0]
Given Kudos: 162
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V45
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
How I would solve it :-)
Attachments

aaaaaaaaaa.PNG
aaaaaaaaaa.PNG [ 79.89 KiB | Viewed 4481 times ]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 558 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V20
GPA: 3.97
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
johnd32 wrote:

A. 144
B. 576
C. 714
D. 686
E. 696

Not sit together cases = Total cases - sit together cases
= 6! - ( 4! x 3!)
= 720 - 144
= 576

B is correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Hi everyone, thanks for the quick responses! You guys are pretty helpful.

One person commented that the answer would be 144 if out of the 3 people that did not want to sit with each other, you couldn't have pairs also (meaning 2 of them sitting together and the third far away is not allowed). Can someone show me how you get to that answer 144? The question was meant to mean that neither any form of pairs nor any combination of triplets are allowed.

Out of all the topics, this is my weakest. I have the 6th Ed of MGMAT prep books. IMHO, the books do a great job on all the topics EXCEPT for probability and combinatorics (too few examples and practice problems).

I took the GMAT once about 3 years ago (first attempt) and got a 690 (Q: 47, V: 38, IR: 8, AWA: 5.5).

I wasn't able to finish the last 4 questions on the math portion, so I randomly picked those answers. Based on the ESR, I scored between the 60th and 70th percentile for all the quant sub-sections, but my average time for all the sub-sections was above 2 minutes, so I think time management and just more practice on all the sections are needed.

For my verbal, I got (percentile) 48th for CR, 93rd for RC, and 96th for SC. That's A BIG difference between my CR and other 2 subsections. I needs LOTS of help with CR. Any suggestions?

I'm taking it again in 2 months and am aiming for a 780 (tough goal, I know, but I have been studying a bit). I've got only 1 shot at this, unfortunately. I don't have a job until the end of the year, so I have a bit of time to study. I've completed reviewing all the MGMAT books twice and gone over the 2018 OG questions at least twice (I've tried to take the time to not just learn the answers but how to think through them and similar questions).

Can someone help with a few suggestions on drastically improving my CR score and overall quant score? Any help is appreciated. I'm fairly new to posting on this website, so if I'm not doing something right, please let me know. I know a lot of people try to help and give advice, but I feel like some of the suggestions sound good but don't really work (given by people who mean well but may not have actually done as well on the GMAT themselves, or have insufficient experience to talk about how to study well). I know different methods work for different people, but after reading so many articles and posts on many websites, I can't help but think some of the advice is misguided. Trying to sort through all of that is tough :) So, I'm turning to you guys for help now. Again, any help is appreciated. Thank you!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4095 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
johnd32 wrote:

A. 144
B. 576
C. 714
D. 686
E. 696

total arrangement = 6!
and conditional that all three Rob, Ray, and Susan sit together = 3! and this can be arranged in 4! ways ; so we have 3!*4! = 144
not together ; 6!-144 ; 576
IMO B
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1022 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
johnd32 wrote:
Hi everyone, thanks for the quick responses! You guys are pretty helpful.

One person commented that the answer would be 144 if out of the 3 people that did not want to sit with each other, you couldn't have pairs also (meaning 2 of them sitting together and the third far away is not allowed). Can someone show me how you get to that answer 144? The question was meant to mean that neither any form of pairs nor any combination of triplets are allowed.

Out of all the topics, this is my weakest. I have the 6th Ed of MGMAT prep books. IMHO, the books do a great job on all the topics EXCEPT for probability and combinatorics (too few examples and practice problems).

I took the GMAT once about 3 years ago (first attempt) and got a 690 (Q: 47, V: 38, IR: 8, AWA: 5.5).

I wasn't able to finish the last 4 questions on the math portion, so I randomly picked those answers. Based on the ESR, I scored between the 60th and 70th percentile for all the quant sub-sections, but my average time for all the sub-sections was above 2 minutes, so I think time management and just more practice on all the sections are needed.

For my verbal, I got (percentile) 48th for CR, 93rd for RC, and 96th for SC. That's A BIG difference between my CR and other 2 subsections. I needs LOTS of help with CR. Any suggestions?

I'm taking it again in 2 months and am aiming for a 780 (tough goal, I know, but I have been studying a bit). I've got only 1 shot at this, unfortunately. I don't have a job until the end of the year, so I have a bit of time to study. I've completed reviewing all the MGMAT books twice and gone over the 2018 OG questions at least twice (I've tried to take the time to not just learn the answers but how to think through them and similar questions).

Can someone help with a few suggestions on drastically improving my CR score and overall quant score? Any help is appreciated. I'm fairly new to posting on this website, so if I'm not doing something right, please let me know. I know a lot of people try to help and give advice, but I feel like some of the suggestions sound good but don't really work (given by people who mean well but may not have actually done as well on the GMAT themselves, or have insufficient experience to talk about how to study well). I know different methods work for different people, but after reading so many articles and posts on many websites, I can't help but think some of the advice is misguided. Trying to sort through all of that is tough :) So, I'm turning to you guys for help now. Again, any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Hi, Johnd32,

Go through the below link. It may help you a lot.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 43170.html (Ninja's CR guide)

Regards,
Raxit T.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 363 [0]
Given Kudos: 162
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V45
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Rob, Lewis, Ray, Susan, Mary, and Janet go to a movie and sit next to [#permalink]
This is the totally wrong thread to ask a question like this but in general I would advise you to lower your expectancies, have you ever come close such a score in your Mocks? Scoring a 780 puts you in the leauge of veteran GMAT tutors who been teaching, living and breathing this sh*t full time - given that your previous take wasn't even close to that skill level I hardly doubt that you should even think about a 780.
I dont even put you down, but I dont see why anyone, besides people who probably scored 700 on their diagnostic with ease, should put such a high burden on themselves and straight aim for a 780.

Scoring anywhere from 700-750 would open you all doors and you would not have to be disappointed at all if you actually manage to score somewhere in that range.

It seems that you somewhat have a distorted expectancy of what is actually achievable.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Bunuel

Can someone please help me understand why the method below is wrong. The general consensus seems to be that the answer is 576, not 144. What am I doing wrong below?

If anyone else can also help point it out (if Bunuel is busy), it'd be much appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Option 1

If 3 of them are to not sit next to each other, those three can sit in the following set up. In the diagram below, Y denotes a seat filled with someone who does not want to sit next to another person, and _ denotes an empty seat which can be filled by those without seating restrictions.

Y _ Y _ Y _
Y _ _ Y _ Y
Y _ Y _ _ Y
_ Y _ Y _ Y

FOR EACH of the options above, the 3 of them who need to be separated can sit in 3! ways = 6 ways. In addition to that, FOR EACH of the options, the remaining empty seats can also be filled in 3! ways = 6 ways.

Hence, the ways the 3 of them won't sit next to each other is 4*6*6 = 144
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Bunuel

Actually, if 2 of them cannot sit next to each other, the number of arrangements is 480. If three of them cannot sit next to each other (more constraints), the answer should be smaller, not 576 (larger), right?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22044 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM