Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:02 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618621 [46]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [17]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4095 [2]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3450 [4]
Given Kudos: 162
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V30
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: A law requiring companies to offer employees unpaid time off to care [#permalink]
Kudos
Argument: Parental leaves harm nation's businesses.
Any option which would say opposite of the above argument will weaken the same.

Option C clearly says, the countries which are economically competitive have strong parental-leave regulation
--> Implies that parental-leaves do not harm the competitiveness of busniesses

IMO Option C
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1344 [1]
Given Kudos: 607
Send PM
Re: A law requiring companies to offer employees unpaid time off to care [#permalink]
Kudos
Quote:
A law requiring companies to offer employees unpaid time off to care for their children will harm the economic competitiveness of our nation's businesses. Companies must be free to set their own employment policies without mandated parental-leave regulations.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the conclusion of the argument above?

A. A parental-leave law will serve to strengthen the family as a social institution in this country.
B. Many businesses in this country already offer employees some form of parental leave.
C. Some of the countries with the most economically competitive businesses have strong parental-leave regulations.
D. Only companies with one hundred or more employees would be subject to the proposed parental-leave law.
E. In most polls, a majority of citizens say they favor passage of a parental-leave law.

ARGUMENT
[prem] Law requiring comps to offer parental leave will harm the nations business competitiveness;
[con] Comps must set their own parental policies.

WEAKEN
A. irrelevant, this doesn't say that strengthening the family means more a competitive nation;
B. if many offer some form of leave, then this could strengthen the fact that comps should set their own policies;
D. irrelevant;
E. irrelevant;

Ans (C) If some with the MOST competitive businesses have strong regulations, then there must be something flawed in the argument.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 506 [1]
Given Kudos: 207
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V21
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Conclusion: New law should not be enforced on companies. Choice should be left to the companies
So, the authors concludes this because this new law will harm economic competitiveness and hence shouldn't be enforce.....but weaken statement should support that its not going to effect economic competitiveness...........C clearly does that.....

OA:C
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [1]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Kudos
The right answer is option C.

Cause: Mandated parental leave regulations.
Effect: Harm the economic competitiveness of our nation's businesses.
Conclusion: Companies must be free to set their own employment policies without mandated parental-leave regulations.

What about if some of the nations that have strong economic competitiveness also have mandatory parental leave regulations. That would mean that the conclusion drawn above is weakened in that mandated parental leave regulations do not necessarily rob a nation's businesses of their competitiveness. This is exactly what option C states, hence the answer has to be option C in my opinion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
C. Substantiate to weaken the conclusion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 179
Send PM
Given : Law requiring mandated parental leave is detrimental to the economics of the companies. Therefore it should be taken off.

Presumption : What if by taking off the parental leave, the economics of the companies even worsens? The author sounds as if parental law has no advantages. What if the citizens start to leave the company if parental law is removed.

A. A parental-leave law will serve to strengthen the family as a social institution in this country.
Doesnt show relation to business' performance.
B. Many businesses in this country already offer employees some form of parental leave.
We are not concerned about the current condition.
C. Some of the countries with the most economically competitive businesses have strong parental-leave regulations.
We are not concerned about the current condition but rather what is correct.
D. Only companies with one hundred or more employees would be subject to the proposed parental-leave law.
This talks only about a subsect of the companies.
E. In most polls, a majority of citizens say they favor passage of a parental-leave law.
Correct if citizens favor , then removal of parental leave law could have negative consequences.

Answer is E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.72
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hi suchitra

I think option E just concentrates on conclusion not on the link between conclusion and reasoning.

Also Most citizens is not equal to employees and Favor is not equal to competitiveness (Citizens may not like to be competitive).

Whereas choice C presents a scenario in which Regulations = more competitiveness.

Hope this helps.
Hope this helps.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [0]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
perhaps just a gap in my knowledge, but generally it always seems that with the Weaken or Strenghthen questions on the GMAT, showing how another city/person/nation/company/etc. reacts to something isn’t relevant to OUR city/person/nation/company etc.

After all, there could be major differences between the 2.

Definitely a wrong thought by me. Just pointing it out in case anyone else is in the same boat.

There are some cases where comparisons to similar entities can Weaken or Strengthen the given argument.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Hello Expert

In the stated question, I do not concur with the idea that if 'some of the most' countries do it, why should the same be implied in the stated country. There could be more reasons as to why they are economically stable and the off-set of the law has been balanced out by some other scheme (let us say more working hours or 6-day weeks). The statement to me seems too broad to concretely weaken the conclusion.

Your insight would be really helpful. Thanks.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
amoljain wrote:
Hello Expert

In the stated question, I do not concur with the idea that if 'some of the most' countries do it, why should the same be implied in the stated country. There could be more reasons as to why they are economically stable and the off-set of the law has been balanced out by some other scheme (let us say more working hours or 6-day weeks). The statement to me seems too broad to concretely weaken the conclusion.

Your insight would be really helpful. Thanks.

Fdambro294 wrote:
perhaps just a gap in my knowledge, but generally it always seems that with the Weaken or Strenghthen questions on the GMAT, showing how another city/person/nation/company/etc. reacts to something isn’t relevant to OUR city/person/nation/company etc.

After all, there could be major differences between the 2.

Definitely a wrong thought by me. Just pointing it out in case anyone else is in the same boat.

There are some cases where comparisons to similar entities can Weaken or Strengthen the given argument.

Posted from my mobile device

Hello, amoljain and Fdambro294. I agree that a country-to-country comparison does not present an ironclad case, but there are two reasons we cannot simply write off such answer choices:

1) Such a comparison may make the most compelling answer of the five presented; and
2) SPOILER: Official CR questions, such as this one on urban planning, can, on occasion, adopt the same reasoning in correct answer choices.

So, with these two points in mind, I would start by asking whether you believe an alternative option presents a better case as a weakener of this particular conclusion. After all, you are always bound by what you see on the screen, and I do not bandy about such extreme language too often.

- Andrew
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
This is one of the rare assumption based questions I have come across that requires us to negate an explicitly stated point. Ideally, we should call it an opinion rather than a premise. Either ways, we should be attacking the line of reasoning, which, in this case, is mentioned explicitly.

Let us analyze the answer options:

A. A parental-leave law will serve to strengthen the family as a social institution in this country. The conclusion is about parental leave policies of companies - social institutions play no role in the argument. Eliminate.

B. Many businesses in this country already offer employees some form of parental leave. This does not address competitiveness of businesses in any way. Eliminate.

C. Some of the countries with the most economically competitive businesses have strong parental-leave regulations. Correct answer. It weakens the argument that parental leave regulations weaken business competitiveness, and hence must be left to companies themselves.

D. Only companies with one hundred or more employees would be subject to the proposed parental-leave law. The business competitiveness argument does not address the number of employees at all. Eliminate.

E. In most polls, a majority of citizens say they favor passage of a parental-leave law. This does not address competitiveness of businesses in any way. Eliminate.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Archit3110 wrote:
IMO C: Some of the countries with the most economically competitive businesses have strong parental-leave regulations.

A law requiring companies to offer employees unpaid time off to care for their children will harm the economic competitiveness of our nation's businesses.
Companies must be free to set their own employment policies without mandated parental-leave regulations.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the conclusion of the argument above?

but in argument questions we can't compare apples to oranges, here we're comparing the other country.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts