Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
How Can You Show Passion in Admissions? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: How Can You Show Passion in Admissions?

When one thinks of passion, one doesn’t generally think of investment bankers. But the admissions committees are looking for passion in their applicants; so how are you – a computer guy, an engineer, a biology major, or yes, an investment banker – going to craft a winning application that shows them the passion they’re looking for?

“Passion” has a sexy ring to it. An emotional, visceral appeal. It evokes images of glamorous actors and actresses in hot and heavy romances. The good guy in a Frank Capra film changing history. Generals exhorting the troops before sending them into battle.

Forget the steamy romances. Forget the hero delivering a stirring speech. Forget the generals addressing their troops.

That’s not what we’re talking about in admissions.

Redefining passion
“Passion” in admissions – be it college, MBA, law school, medical school, or grad school – means dedication. It means commitment. It requires action over time. It can be very calculated and goal-oriented, and not at all glamorous. It may lead to a feverish culmination, an earth-shattering moment, and it may not. It can be any one of the following and an infinite number of other activities:

• Spending hours practicing the cello day-in and day-out, year after year
  • Assuming responsibility for an annual silent auction that raises thousands of dollars for your favorite cause during the five years that you have chaired it
  • Training and training and training so that you beat your personal best in the race of your choice
  • Volunteering at a medical or legal clinic twice a week since your sophomore year in college
What are you dedicated to?
Next time you see the word “passion” in an admissions context, look between the lines. Read it as “dedication.” And those calculating, number-crunching, spreadsheet addicts among you, remember this equation: Passion = Action + Dedication.

Explore our Admissions Consulting Services and work one-on-one with an expert advisor who will help you identify and then write about your passions. Get started now on creating the application that will get you ACCEPTED!

For 25 years, Accepted has helped applicants gain acceptance to top undergraduate and graduate programs. Our expert team of admissions consultants features former admissions directors, PhDs, and professional writers who have advised clients to acceptance at top programs worldwide including Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Princeton, Penn, Columbia, Oxford, Cambridge, INSEAD, MIT, Caltech, UC Berkeley, and Northwestern.
Want an admissions expert to help you get Accepted? Click here to get in touch!

Related Resources:

Leadership in Admissions, a free guide

• “I’m Smart, Really I Am!” Proving Character Traits in your Essays

Writing Tip: Understanding the Fine Line Between Confidence vs Arrogance

Tags: Admissions Consulting, College Admissions, Grad School Admissions, Law School Admissions, MBA Admissions, Medical School Admissions

The post How Can You Show Passion in Admissions? appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Highlights of Bloomberg Businessweek’s 2019 MBA Rankings [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Highlights of Bloomberg Businessweek’s 2019 MBA Rankings

Bloomberg Businessweek released its 2019 MBA rankings this week, and the administration at Dartmouth College’s Tuck School of Business is celebrating! Tuck rose an astonishing 17 places in this year’s ranking to take the #2 spot just under Stanford’s Graduate School of Business. This is Stanford’s second year in a row in 1st place.

Who are this year’s winners and losers?
Poets & Quants analyzed the winners and losers in Bloomberg Businessweek’s ranking. University of Virginia’s Darden School of Business gained 8 spots last year, and has continued on its rise, jumping another 4 places this year to end up in 5th place.

When there are winners, there are also losers. Eleven of the top 20 business schools dropped in their rank this year. The biggest loser is the University of Southern California’s Marshall School of Business, which fell 9 spots, taking it out of the top 20, to #22.

According to Bloomberg Businessweek, the 2019-2020 ranking is based on data from 26,804 surveys of MBA students and alumni, as well as recruiters. Participants from each school were questioned on their goals and experiences, salary, and job placement. Businessweek also conducted interviews at business schools worldwide.

Businesweek’s Top 25 MBA Programs

2019 RankSchoolY-O-Y Change2018 Rank

1Stanford GBS---

2Dartmouth Tuck+17

3Harvard---

4Chicago Booth+1

5Virginia Darden+4

6UPenn Wharton-4

7MIT Sloan-3

8UC-Berkeley Haas-2

9Columbia Business School-2

10Northwestern Kellogg+2

11Cornell Johnson-1

12UCLA Anderson+5

13NYU Stern+5

14Yale SOM-3

15Carnegie Mellon Tepper-3

16Washington Foster---

17Michigan Ross+1

18UNC Kenan-Flagler+5

19Georgetown McDonough+1

20Duke Fuqua-5

21Texas-Austin McCombs+1

22USC Marshall-9

23Emory Goizueta+1

24Georgia Tech Scheller+3

25Indiana Kelley+3

Do you see a top MBA program in your future? Learn what these rankings mean for you and how you can secure your spot at your top choice b-school when you work one-on-one with an expert Accepted advisor. Explore our MBA Admissions Services for more information on how we can help you get ACCEPTED!

For 25 years, Accepted has helped business school applicants gain acceptance to top programs. Our outstanding team of MBA admissions consultants features former business school admissions directors and professional writers who have guided our clients to admission at top MBA, EMBA, and other graduate business programs worldwide including Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Booth, INSEAD, London Business School, and many more. Want an MBA admissions expert to help you get Accepted? Click here to get in touch!

Related Resources:

The Ultimate Guide to Becoming a Competitive MBA Applicant, a free guide

• Business School Selectivity Index [Can I Get Into My Dream School?]

Big Changes in Economist 2019 MBA Ranking

Tags: MBA Admissions

The post Highlights of Bloomberg Businessweek’s 2019 MBA Rankings appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Get an Insider’s Perspective on MIT Sloan [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Get an Insider’s Perspective on MIT Sloan

Have you been researching MIT Sloan? Then you know it is a very competitive program and you will have to put together the best possible application to have a chance at admission. To do so, wouldn’t it be helpful if you knew exactly what the admissions committee was looking for and if you have what it takes to get accepted?

To find out, join us for a live AMA – Ask Me Anything – on November 14th at 10am PT/1pm ET with Dawna Levinson, Assistant Dean of Admissions at MIT Sloan. She’ll share her insider perspective on the admissions process and on what MIT Sloan is looking for. And – perhaps most importantly – she’ll answer your questions. The event will be moderated by Accepted founder Linda Abraham, so you’ll get a double-dose of admissions expertise!

Register today to reserve your spot.

Register Now:

hbspt.forms.create({

portalId: “58291”,

formId: “df6cc7ef-7c38-43fa-bb62-c3828c2cdebd”,

goToWebinarWebinarKey: “3753387852046061325”

});

For 25 years, Accepted has helped business school applicants gain acceptance to top programs. Our outstanding team of MBA admissions consultants features former business school admissions directors and professional writers who have guided our clients to admission at top MBA, EMBA, and other graduate business programs worldwide including Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Booth, INSEAD, London Business School, and many more. Want an MBA admissions expert to help you get Accepted? Click here to get in touch!

The post Get an Insider’s Perspective on MIT Sloan appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Do You Know the 4 Factors You Need to Assess in Your MBA Profile? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Do You Know the 4 Factors You Need to Assess in Your MBA Profile?

One of the first things you’ll do when choosing where to apply to business schools is assess your profile. Otherwise, how will you know which programs will be appropriate for you?

It’s best to evaluate the following four elements of your profile ASAP; the sooner you know how qualified you are, the sooner you’ll be able to generate a realistic list of target business schools.

4 factors for assessing your profile
Consider the following four profile components:

• Your academic record
    What is your GPA? What is your GMAT score? Do you have relevant coursework? Have you taken rigorous honors courses? If you have a less-than-desirable GMAT or GPA, have you taken steps to improve them or compensate (i.e. retake the GMAT or take a college-level statistics, accounting, calculus, and/or economics course to help boost your math skills)?

• Your work experience
    What sorts of jobs have you held since college? Do you show growth on the job? Do you have strong leadership experience? What strengths have you developed in past and current positions? How have you worked to iron out weak spots? Make sure you know how many years of work experience your target program requires – if you have too few or too many, you may not be competitive.

• Your goals
    What are your post-MBA goals? Start thinking about why you need an MBA – how will each MBA program on your list of potentials help you achieve your goals? You’re going to want to attend a program that has strengths that will help you realize your MBA dreams.

• Your extracurricular activities
    What are you passionate about? Which of your hobbies and interests set you apart from the rest of the highly qualified people applying to b-school? Will your target programs support your interests? Will you be able to continue involvement in your non-academic pursuits alongside your studies?

Why these MBA profile components are so important
Evaluating these four factors enables you to establish both your competitiveness and establish “fit” with each of your potential programs. Assessing early (like now) also tells you what steps you need to take to become a viable candidate at schools that appear just beyond your reach. Once you can confidently say, “Hey, I can totally see myself at Top B-School X, plus, I’ve got a fair shot at getting in,” then you can sit down and begin filling out those applications!

Do you need help assessing your MBA profile and then using that profile to determine the best business schools for you to apply to? We can help! Explore our MBA Admissions Consulting Services and work one-on-one with an expert advisor who will help you GET ACCEPTED!

By Linda Abraham, president and founder of Accepted. Linda earned her bachelors and MBA at UCLA, and has been advising applicants since 1994 when she founded Accepted. Linda is the co-founder and first president of AIGAC. She has written or co-authored 13 e-books on the admissions process, and has been quoted by The Wall Street Journal, U.S. News, Poets & Quants, Bloomberg Businessweek, CBS News, and others. Linda is the host of Admissions Straight Talk, a podcast for graduate school applicants. Want an admissions expert help you get accepted? Click here to get in touch!

Related Resources:

Fitting In & Standing Out: The Paradox at the Heart of Admissions, a free guide

Focus on Fit, a podcast episode

• Business School Selectivity Index, a tool to help you discover the schools where you are competitive

The post Do You Know the 4 Factors You Need to Assess in Your MBA Profile? appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Life at Yale SOM with Goals of Serving the Underrepresented Community [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Life at Yale SOM with Goals of Serving the Underrepresented Community

Learn how real students and recent grads have navigated their way through the business school admissions process and b-school itself with our What is Business School Really Like? series.

Meet Helen, a 2Y Yale SOM student with an interest in the role diversity plays in policymaking.
Helen, thank you for sharing your story with us!

Yale has a single application essay question – and it’s a tough one. How did you approach describing “the biggest commitment you’ve ever made”?
Helen: As simple as it might seem, the approach that worked for me was to reflect deeply on the essay question over several weeks. I would recommend applicants do the same and ask themselves what drivers have been behind decisions they’ve made in their career – particularly decisions that have had a major impact or that were different than those others might have made in the same situation.

One thing to note is that some common commitments, e.g., marriage or parenthood, may have driven your decision-making, but also may not necessarily provide insight for the admissions committee about who you are and what you could bring to SOM.

For me, my honest answer is that I made a commitment to myself to be the type of person who other people would want to lead and represent them – that’s a driver behind many of the decisions I make.

Additionally, with respect to writing application essays, don’t forget to give yourself time! I think having a few weeks to reflect on the questions before beginning to write and ideally a week between revisions – with several rounds of revisions – is ideal for ensuring that you are able to fully develop your thinking. This is definitely something you don’t want to procrastinate on!

How did you approach Yale’s video essay component? Any tips for preparing, when the questions vary from applicant to applicant?
Helen: While the questions vary, there are a limited number of questions, and they all are along similar lines – essentially, they cover things you have likely already reflected on in the course of your business school application process. And they’re often interesting and fun (e.g., what course would you teach at Yale SOM if you could teach one?).

The video essay platform allows you to practice an unlimited number of times, so give yourself time to get comfortable with the system and practice similar questions. Most importantly, this will allow you to get a sense of what the 90-second time limit feels like – that can honestly be the hardest part of structuring your answer!

What was the greatest weakness in your admissions profile? What steps did you take to ensure you submitted your strongest application?
Helen: As an international studies/political science major who had not worked in a quant-heavy field prior to business school, I knew my lack of demonstrated quantitative ability might be a stumbling block in the admissions process. I took a calculus course through UCLA to supplement my application and focused on performing well on the quant section of the GMAT.

If this sounds familiar, know you’re not alone – it’s a very common concern among applicants to top schools, and now, entering my second year at SOM, I feel confident that my quantitative skills were well-matched to the difficulty of the curriculum.

Once school started, what surprised you most about the program?
Helen: I was surprised by the degree of freedom I had to shape my own experience in the program, especially after the first semester (which largely consists of required core classes). Students at SOM have so many options to choose from in terms of electives, travel opportunities, extracurriculars and of course, internships. This can be awesome, of course, but it’s really helpful to have clarity on your personal priorities so you can take advantage of these opportunities in a focused and productive way.

Listen to our podcast interview with Bruce DelMonico, Assistant Dean and Director of Admissions at Yale School of Management:

Yale MBA: The Inside Scoop on The Essay, Videos & Behavioral Assessment [Episode 338]

What is it like living in New Haven? What options are available for housing, transportation, and entertainment?
Helen: I love New Haven! Having lived in New York for four years before school, I thought moving to a smaller city would be challenging, but it’s actually been awesome. Most SOM students live in East Rock, the neighborhood adjacent to the SOM building, and it’s a beautiful area with Victorian homes, neighborhood cafes and shops and a park with great running and hiking trails. Many students rent apartments in East Rock, with some also renting in other areas of New Haven. While having a car can be helpful, it’s not necessary and there are many transit options including rideshare, owning a bike or using the New Haven bikeshare program, walking, or taking the New Haven or Yale bus services.

There are also great options for entertainment, both through Yale (Yale Repertory Theatre, Yale Cabaret and world-class museums) and outside of Yale (Shubert Theater, lots of outdoors recreation and great food – including New Haven’s famous pizza). SOM’s favorite entertainment option is definitely Gryphon’s Pub, a graduate student bar owned and operated by the university and offering free beers on Thursdays!

I understand you hold a BA in international studies. How has your undergraduate background helped shape your MBA goals?
Helen: At my undergraduate program, international studies is a major within the political science department with additional focus on international relations, foreign policy and a foreign language. I chose this path to optimize for the global nature of society and business in today’s world – I wanted to learn how to understand and analyze the international perspective in policymaking. Doing so led me to study for a semester at the American University in Cairo and take a role in an organization working on U.S. foreign policy in my first job after college. That global perspective has continued to be important to me, and was one of the reasons I was interested in SOM, which has many international programs and a high proportion of international students. While at SOM, I’ve been to Mexico City with classmates and to South Africa as part of an International Experience course – it’s been really cool to be in another internationally-focused program!

What does it mean to be a Forte fellow? What are the criteria for selection, and what are the responsibilities and benefits involved?
Helen: Forte Fellows are women at SOM (and other business schools) who have received merit-based scholarships. Criteria vary by program, but generally receiving a scholarship is indicative of the overall quality of your MBA application – there is no separate application. There are no ongoing responsibilities for fellows at SOM, but there are some benefits, including being able to attend the Forte conference the summer before matriculation at a reduced cost. I had an amazing time at this conference and formed a really strong bond with the other women from SOM who participated – they’re still some of my best friends at school!

Separate from the Forte Fellowship at SOM, I also participated in another Forte program, MBALaunch, several years before applying to SOM. While participating in MBALaunch doesn’t directly impact selection for a Forte fellowship, SOM and other programs do offer application fee waivers for MBALaunch participants. I’d highly recommend this program to any women interested in business school, especially those who are coming from nontraditional backgrounds, i.e. not working at companies or part of networks that provide a high level of support for the MBA application process.

What is Representation 2.0? When and why did you start this venture?
Helen: Representation 2.0 is a nonprofit focused on equipping undergraduate students from underrepresented backgrounds to run for elected office. Our team’s mission is to improve government effectiveness and voters’ trust in government by improving the extent to which elected leaders demographically represent their communities.

Studies show that when people not traditionally represented in elected office are asked to consider running for such roles, they often write off this idea early in their careers because of a lack of information, interest and/or confidence. As a result, they are less willing to reconsider running for office later in life.

To combat this, Representation 2.0 has created a workshop curriculum and suite of resources to increase student leaders’ confidence in their abilities and interest in public service, and help them take the next steps toward running for office. We ran a successful and effective pilot workshop in April 2019 with ten students from local Connecticut universities.

Participants said the training helped them feel “empowered and inspired” and gave them “a much more positive perception about running for office.” In the next year, we plan to host more workshops, including one in the New York market, and secure initial funding from foundations and individual donors to help us continue to scale.

I started this venture in summer 2018 after developing the idea with friends and mentors for a few years. Looking at today’s political landscape, I saw that while we’re making progress toward better demographic representation, progress has actually plateaued in some dimensions. And while many groups are working to recruit diverse mid-career candidates to run for office, they observe that the bench of potential candidates is not deep – i.e. while more underrepresented people are being elected, there still aren’t enough underrepresented people willing to run in the first place to ensure we can reach demographic parity.

I’ve worked in political organizing with college students, as well as for organizations like Girls Who Code focused on providing resources to underrepresented groups. I decided to apply my experience in that work to reaching underrepresented students early in their careers and not only inspiring and equipping them to run for office, but also providing them with a broad and diverse support network of other who can identify with their experiences.

I’m really excited to see the outcomes from our next workshops and to continue expanding over the next year!

How are Yale SOM students recruited for summer internships?
Helen: As far as I know, the internship recruitment process at SOM is pretty similar to the process at other top 10/15 business schools. There are essentially two categories of internships students consider – those that use formal recruiting processes and those that don’t. Internships with formal/structured recruiting processes include investment banking, consulting, some Fortune 500 general management roles, and some roles with tech companies. Internships with less formal processes include those with startups, social- or public-sector organizations, and VC, PE or impact investing firms. The formal recruiting processes mostly happen between September and March of the first year of the program, and informal processes can happen at any time but are more concentrated in spring of the first year, as these companies often don’t have certainty about their capacity to host interns until closer to the summer.

These two categories also require somewhat different approaches. Formal processes require you to follow a pretty strict rulebook, which career clubs (e.g., Finance Club, Consulting Club) run by second-years and the career development office will help you understand and support you through. Informal processes require you to do a lot of independent research and networking, which we also have campus resources to help with.

Can you share a bit about your internship experience at Deloitte? What does a typical day look like?
Helen: Sure! I had a great experience interning in Deloitte’s Strategy & Operations consulting practice in New York this summer. I was staffed on a financial services strategy project where I had the opportunity to build the financial model behind my team’s recommendations to the client and work closely with senior leaders on both the consulting and client sides.

My project was local, so on a typical day I would work out (run in Central Park, gym, or yoga) before commuting to the client site. My team had regular beginning – and end-of-day calls to align team members working across time zones on key goals for the day, so after our morning call I’d spend the next several hours working with my team and client stakeholders to advance the model or other aspects of our deliverable. I was usually able to also spend a bit of time on internal firm initiatives beyond my project, such as supporting diversity and inclusion work or developing proposals for new projects. I would usually leave the office before 7pm, commute home, and have dinner before doing another hour or two of work prior to our end-of-day check-in. We also had frequent team dinners or happy hours.

I learned so much in my two months at S&O and would recommend the internship to anyone who’s interested in learning more about problem-solving and the consulting “toolkit,” including financial modeling!

If you could send one message to applicants beginning their MBA journeys, what would it be?
Helen: Prioritize! As I mentioned earlier, there are so many options available to you during your MBA and so little time to take advantage of them. As a result, it’s really important to reflect before beginning your program and understand what you most want to get out of this experience. I physically wrote my priorities down and would continue to go back to my list throughout my first year to cross-check my choices against it, which can be tough to do when faced with so many awesome opportunities to learn and get involved in your business school’s community. (Also: always remember to send thank-you notes to people who help you throughout the process – it still matters and can really set you apart, plus it’s the right thing to do!)

Do you have questions for Helen? Questions for us? Do you want to be featured in our next What is Business School Really Like? post? Know someone else who you’d love to see featured? Are there questions you’d like us to ask our students in this series? LET US KNOW!

You can learn more about Helen by connecting with her on LinkedIn.

Are you setting out on your own b-school journey? We can help you reach the finish line! Check out our MBA Admissions Consulting Services to team up with an admissions expert who will help you join the ranks of thousands of Accepted clients who get accepted to their dream schools.

Related Resources:

Different Dimensions of Diversity, a podcast episode

Yale Som: Integrated in Its Curriculum, with Its University, and to the World, a podcast episode

Life at Yale SOM, Google Internship & the Importance of Diversity, a student interview

The post Life at Yale SOM with Goals of Serving the Underrepresented Community appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Dawna Levinson, Assistant Dean of Admissions at MIT Sloan Answers Appl [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Dawna Levinson, Assistant Dean of Admissions at MIT Sloan Answers Applicant Questions

Our AMA (Ask Me Anything) with MIT Sloan’s Assistant Dean of Admissions Dawna Levinson was fantastic! After outlining MIT Sloan’s application process and providing some great tips for success, Dawna answered participant questions and offered the real inside scoop.

If you missed the AMA, or if you’d like to view it again, it’s now available for on-demand viewing. Download or view the recording here.

Watch the AMA:

hbspt.forms.create({

formId: “7e498250-39bf-432a-afe5-6c093773968b”

});

The post Dawna Levinson, Assistant Dean of Admissions at MIT Sloan Answers Applicant Questions appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Dawna Levinson, Assistant Dean of Admissions at MIT Sloan, Answers App [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Dawna Levinson, Assistant Dean of Admissions at MIT Sloan, Answers Applicant Questions

Our AMA (Ask Me Anything) with MIT Sloan’s Assistant Dean of Admissions Dawna Levinson was fantastic! After outlining MIT Sloan’s application process and providing some great tips for success, Dawna answered participant questions and offered the real inside scoop.

If you missed the AMA, or if you’d like to view it again, it’s now available for on-demand viewing. Download or view the recording here.

Watch the AMA:

hbspt.forms.create({

formId: “7e498250-39bf-432a-afe5-6c093773968b”

});

The post Dawna Levinson, Assistant Dean of Admissions at MIT Sloan, Answers Applicant Questions appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Columbia EMBA Class Profile [Entering Class of 2019] [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Columbia EMBA Class Profile [Entering Class of 2019]

Here’s a look at CBS EMBA class profile of the Friday/Saturday class that began in August 2019, from the Columbia Business School website.

• Class size: 146 (in 2 clusters)
  • Women: 34%
  • International: 23%
  • Average age: 33
  • Average years of work experience: 9
  • Sponsorship:
• Full company sponsorship: 18%

• Partial company sponsorship: 46%

• Self-sponsorship: 36%

Background by Industry

IndustryPercent

Consulting7%

Consumer Products2%

Education2%

Energy/Utilities3%

Entertainment/Leisure/Sports1%

Financial Services40%

Government/Military/Nonprofit3%

Healthcare/Pharmaceuticals9%

Marketing/Media/Communications7%

Private Equity/Venture Capital1%

Real Estate3%

Retail/Wholesale3%

Technology11%

Other8%

Want to meet a CBS EMBA student?

Check out our recent podcast interview with Beta Ealy, a creative director with little background in quant who conquered the GMAT and is now thriving in the Columbia EMBA program:

A Non-Traditional Applicant Accepted to the Columbia EMBA Program [Episode 326]

We’ve helped thousands of MBA and EMBA applicants gain admittance to Columbia, and now we can help you too. Learn how you can secure your spot in the CBS EMBA program when you work one-on-one with an expert Accepted advisor. Explore our MBA and EMBA Admissions Services for information on how we can help you GET ACCEPTED!

Related Resources:

Ace the EMBA: Expert Advice for the Rising Executive, a free guide

A Non-Traditional Applicant Accepted to the Columbia EMBA Program, a podcast episode

Columbia EMBA Application Essay Tips & Deadlines [2019 – 2020]

The post Columbia EMBA Class Profile [Entering Class of 2019] appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Do You Want to Be Studying at Columbia This Time Next Year? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Do You Want to Be Studying at Columbia This Time Next Year?

Whether you’re focused on finance (like 37% of CBS grads) or interested in any of a truly dazzling array of opportunities (Entrepreneurship! Luxury retail! Consulting!), Columbia Business School is an exciting program in one of the world’s most dynamic cities, and we understand why you’d like to be there.

Not coincidentally, as one of the top b-schools in the country, Columbia is very selective. How can you show the adcom that you have what they’re looking for?

Drawing on decades of admissions expertise, Accepted’s founder, Linda Abraham, will answer that very question during our upcoming webinar, Get Accepted to Columbia. During the webinar, Linda will share a strategic framework for application success; you’ll learn what CBS is looking for, how you can prove you’re a great fit, and how you can stand out in a very crowded applicant pool. And because we know you’re busy with work, applications, and life, we’ve distilled it all into just one hour.

The webinar is free – but registration is required. Reserve your spot today! Wednesday, December 11 at 10am PT/1pm ET and again at 5pm PT/8pm ET.

Register Now:

The post Do You Want to Be Studying at Columbia This Time Next Year? appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
NYU Stern Embraces Its Reputation as Changemaker [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: NYU Stern Embraces Its Reputation as Changemaker

Interview with Rabia Ahmed, Executive Director of Strategic Marketing and Admissions at NYU Stern School of Business [Show Summary]
NYU Stern is always on the cutting edge, and their new Change: Studio branding reflects that. Executive Director of Strategic Marketing and Admissions, Rabia Ahmed, shares details of the new program as well as what else is new at Stern.

At NYU Stern, change is in the air! [Show Notes]
It gives me great pleasure to have on Admissions Straight Talk for the first time, Rabia Ahmed, Executive Director of Strategic Marketing and Admissions at NYU Stern School of Business. Rabia attended Montclair Sate University and earned her MA in International Education from NYU. She began working at NYU Stern in 2005 and in 2006 became the Assistant Director of MBA Admissions. She has been climbing the admissions office ladder every since, and while this is Rabia’s first time on AST, NYU’s Isser Gallogly has been on several times. I don’t usually like to have school representatives on year after year. However NYU Stern always is innovating and changing things up, so I’ve needed to invite someone from NYU Stern to the show year after year. Indeed NYU Stern’s focus and brand are synonymous with change. We’re going to learn more about that from Rabia.

Can you give a brief overview of the Stern MBA program focusing on the more distinctive elements? [2:25]
I would highlight three main things – our location, our attitude, and our people. We are located in the greatest neighborhood in the greatest city in the world, we are able to bring in amazing adjunct faculty, and have partnerships with organizations for recruiting but also for experiential learning projects in our backyard. We are also on the move, unbound by tradition, and always thinking about where business is going to make sure we stay in front of it, innovate, and experiment. Finally, people you meet at NYU are really special. When you meet the people you can see how incredible they are. Our faculty is one of the largest, and runs the gamut of industry and function.

My next question is usually “what’s new?” but there is so much new at NYU Stern that I’m going to change things up. Last month Stern announced a re-branding focused on embracing and initiating change. We’re going to explore some of the elements in the program that really reflect that brand starting with Change:Studio. What is Change:Studio? How is it going to work? [5:31]
We want students to leave with preparation for the future. When thinking about how quickly things are changing – technology, how people work – we think about how we prepare students to embrace that change. Change: Studio brings together leadership, experiential learning, and entrepreneurship in co-curricular programming to provide a structure with which to drive change in an organization. The curriculum overall is called Dare It, Dream It, Drive It. Dare It is focused on leadership, Dream It on experiential learning, and Drive It on starting something new. Everyone goes through the beginning stages of Change:Studio with orientation in the leadership simulation and then they can opt into the Change:Studio program.

NYU Stern recently started allowing its applicants to submit the GMAC Executive Assessment in addition to the GRE and GMAT. Why? How is the EA different? [11:25]
We have always been an early adopter – we were one of the first schools to accept the GRE. We know testing is very stressful and wanted to make sure students had options. When talking to GMAC we felt this exam could be a really good one for our fulltime program to assess for academic readiness. It is designed for professionals, is shorter in duration, and takes less time to prepare for, so thought it could be a good option for some. We have no preference over which test you decide to take.

NYU Stern also released a stellar employment report. Can you go over the numbers for the FT program? [13:13]
Our median salary is an all time high and increased by 12% to $140,000. We also had the highest employment three months out, which is 94.2%, and the top three areas were consulting, banking, and technology.

How did the graduates of the two specialized MBA programs, the Andre Koo Technology and Entrepreneurship MBA and the Fashion & Luxury MBA, fare last year in the job market? [14:44]
We launched the two new programs three years ago and have graduated the first batch of students. They are both one year programs and are for those who have a passion for those particular industries. For the technology MBA, roles have been very wide, like data analytics and program management at places like Amazon, Amex, and Uber, so really, really strong placement. On the fashion side that industry tends to hire just in time, so it’s a slightly different process and timeline. The people who join the program want to work in a variety of different industries. We have students who have gone to work in beauty, retail, and consulting at places like Coach, L’Oreal, and Macy’s. A lot of these organizations aren’t necessarily set up for traditional MBA recruiting, so a lot of emphasis is put on networking and building connections so students can get the jobs as they become available.

How is the new specialization in healthcare structured? [17:17]
It is one of over 20 specializations we offer. You can specialize in up to three or none at all, it is up to the individual. Specializations are cross-disciplinary and we also have a partnership with NYU Wagner, which is the School of Public Administration. To take any specialization you must take three courses in that area.

Before we turn to admissions and the application, what verb best describes Change at Stern to you? Why? [18:57]
For me, it’s “Change: Inspire It.” Whenever I experience inspiration it is when I am looking at something a different way – while I’m on a walk, or listening to music, or talking to someone else. We have 350 students from so many different countries, backgrounds, and experiences, and we bring them together to inspire each other.

Stern innovated in the admissions arena with its focus on EQ and its Pick 6 essay. What’s your best advice for those two distinctive elements in Stern’s MBA application? [21:14]
For EQ, it is about finding someone who can talk about your emotional intelligence, your self-awareness, how you are in terms of having difficult conversations, onboarding someone with a very different background, and interpersonal skills.

For Pick 6, we are living in a visual world right now – a picture tells a thousand words. Rather than use another essay of words, we really wanted it to be visual. This helps show uniqueness, and we see so many great things – travel, family, challenges, and it is a fun way to see their story come to life.

What do you look for now or emphasize more now when evaluating applications than you did 5 or 10 years ago? [26:36]
We look for people who share our values, and understand who we are and what we are about. EQ is something we have always looked for. We want people who want to be part of the NYC landscape, our urban advantage. We look for those with an understanding of what good business can do for society, not just looking at the bottom line. That is built into our culture. We are a school of excellence unbound by tradition. We are not going to limit ourselves because of what is expected – we are going to continue to experiment. These things are reflected in our students – they embody the values at Stern as students and as alumni.

What is the biggest challenge applicants face in presenting a compelling case for acceptance at NYU Stern’s MBA programs? [30:50]
Being their most authentic self. We often see people who feel they need to fit into a persona or there is a certain type of person we are looking for. Our program is so rich because of so many different kinds of people with different “superpowers.” Be true to yourself. In the essays be honest about what you want to do. People get stuck on averages, rather than ranges with our stats. Ask the questions of the schools, talk to students, alums, and if you want to apply, present your authentic self.

What would you have liked me to ask you? [37:04]
What I’d like people to know is that the school really is on the move. We are always thinking about what’s next, how to better prepare our students, soliciting ideas, having town halls, and welcoming students at the highest level into our offices. Combine that attitude with our location and the people that make Stern what it is, we are truly investing in every single student that comes through the door.

Linda: Many times I get a notice that a school rebranded. After 25 years as an admissions consultant, I am often skeptical or don’t really “see” the change. When I got the press release about NYU it struck me less as rebranding and more as a true reflection of the school Stern truly is.

Related Resources:

NYU Stern 2019-20 MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines

NYU Stern Applicants: Real-Life Experience DOES Matter

Accepted’s MBA Admissions Services

Related Shows:

NYU Stern’s New Online Master’s in Quantitative Management

NYU Stern 2018-19 MBA Admissions Scoop: An Interview with Isser Gallogly

Yale MBA: The Inside Scoop on The Essay, Videos & Behavioral Assessment

Duke Fuqua Rattles MBA World with Exciting New Curriculum

How to Launch Your Career in High Tech Product Management

Subscribe:

Podcast Feed

Tags: Admissions Straight Talk, MBA Admissions

The post NYU Stern Embraces Its Reputation as Changemaker [Episode 340] appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Poets & Quants Announces 2019-2020 MBA Rankings [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Poets & Quants Announces 2019-2020 MBA Rankings
[img]https://blog.accepted.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Poets-and-Quants-Announces-2019-20-MBA-Rankings.jpg[/img]
[url=https://www.accepted.com/mba/selectivity-index][img]https://blog.accepted.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Poets-and-Quants-Announces-2019-20-MBA-Rankings.jpg[/img][/url]

Poets & Quants just released its [url=https://poetsandquants.com/2019/11/25/poets-and-quants-2019-2020-mba-ranking/?pq-category=admissions]2019-2020 rankings[/url] of the top 100 U.S. MBA programs.
There were some minor changes in the top 10  – most prominently is [url=https://blog.accepted.com/stanford-gsb-mba-essay-tips-deadlines/]Stanford GSB[/url] climbing two spots, passing [url=https://blog.accepted.com/harvard-business-school-mba-essay-tips-deadlines/]Harvard Business School[/url] and [url=https://blog.accepted.com/wharton-mba-essay-tips-deadlines/]UPenn Wharton[/url], to claim the #1 position. It’s the second time in 10 years that Stanford has claimed the top slot. 

Other highlights include:
[list]
[*][url=https://blog.accepted.com/yale-som-mba-essay-tips-deadlines/]Yale School of Management[/url] just barely broke into the top 10 by securing 10th place. [/*]
[*]Purdue’s Krannert School of Management dropped 10 spots from last year, from 38th to 48th.[/*]
[*]Fordham’s Gabelli School of Business jumped 12 spots from 62nd place last year to 50th.[/*]
[*]UC San Diego’s Rady School of Management experienced a massive jump, from 94th to 71st place.[/*]
[/list]
P&Q ranking methodology
P&Q’s rankings are based on the rankings of five highly-influential business publications, and are weighted based on P&Q’s assessment of each ranking’s methodology and credibility. The five included in P&Q’s ranking are U.S. News (weight of 35%), Forbes (25%), The Financial Times (15%), Businessweek (15%), and The Economist (10%). Combining the rankings in this way lessens the irregularities that are frequently seen in a given year. This allows applicants to get a better idea of a school’s overall reputation, which typically changes little from year to year.

Top 25 U.S. MBA Programs

2019 RankSchool Name2018 RankIndex

1Stanford GSB3100.0

2Chicago Booth499.6

3Harvard Business School199.2

4UPenn Wharton198.8

5Northwestern Kellogg596.2

6Dartmouth Tuck996.1

7MIT Sloan696.0

8Columbia Business School794.8

9UC-Berkeley Haas894.4

10Yale SOM1191.1

11Virginia Darden1290.8

12Michigan Ross1089.7

13Cornell Johnson1389.6

14Duke Fuqua1489.5

15UCLA Anderson1588.1

16New York Stern1687.6

17Carnegie Mellon Tepper1784.5

18Texas-Austin McCombs1882.8

19Southern California Marshall2282.5

20North Carolina Kenan-Flagler1982.5

21Washington Foster2181.0

22Emory Goizueta2080.6

23Indiana Kelley2580.1

24Georgetown McDonough2376.9

25Rice Jones2474.6

Watch: Linda Abraham and Marco de Novellis discuss MBA rankings

[b]Do you want to be a member of a top-tier MBA program? Explore our [url=https://www.accepted.com/mba/services?utm_campaign=Blog&utm_medium=pq_2019-20_rankings&utm_source=blog]MBA Admissions Consulting Services[/url] and work one-on-one with an expert advisor who will help you GET ACCEPTED![/b]

[url=https://cta-redirect.hubspot.com/cta/redirect/58291/6f59af66-a942-476e-a35a-feafe5c6a5c2][img]https://no-cache.hubspot.com/cta/default/58291/6f59af66-a942-476e-a35a-feafe5c6a5c2.png[/img][/url]

[url=https://www.accepted.com/mba/services?utm_campaign=Blog&utm_medium=blog_bio_mba&utm_source=blog][img]https://blog.accepted.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/accepted_admissions_consulting.jpg[/img][/url]
For 25 years, Accepted has helped business school applicants gain acceptance to top programs. Our outstanding team of MBA admissions consultants features former business school admissions directors and professional writers who have guided our clients to admission at top MBA, EMBA, and other graduate business programs worldwide including Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Booth, INSEAD, London Business School, and many more. [url=https://www.accepted.com/mba/services?utm_campaign=Blog&utm_medium=blog_bio_mba&utm_source=blog][b]Want an MBA admissions expert [/b][b]to help you get Accepted? Click here to get in touch![/b][/url]

[b]Related Resources:[/b]

• [url=https://reports.accepted.com/mba/how-to-create-a-competitive-mba-profile?hsCtaTracking=c972a78a-33b9-4a26-a54d-393ab0e96b7b%7Ccf9fead6-28e7-412e-a60d-373fca7bf453]The Ultimate Guide to Becoming a Competitive MBA Applicant[/url], a free guide

• [url=https://www.accepted.com/mba/selectivity-index]Business School Selectivity Index [Can I Get Into My Dream School?][/url]

• [url=https://blog.accepted.com/bloomberg-businessweek-announces-best-u-s-business-schools/]Highlights of Bloomberg Businessweek’s 2019 MBA Rankings[/url]

Tags: [url=https://blog.accepted.com/category/mba-admissions/]MBA Admissions[/url]

The post [url=https://blog.accepted.com/poets-quants-announces-2019-2020-mba-rankings/]Poets & Quants Announces 2019-2020 MBA Rankings[/url] appeared first on [url=https://blog.accepted.com]Accepted Admissions Blog[/url].
Send PM
Top MBA Programs Get STEM-Certified to Attract Int’l Students [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Top MBA Programs Get STEM-Certified to Attract Int’l Students
[img]https://blog.accepted.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Top-MBA-Programs-get-STEM-Certified-to-Attract-International-Students.jpg[/img]

[img]https://blog.accepted.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Top-MBA-Programs-get-STEM-Certified-to-Attract-International-Students.jpg[/img]

Here’s a question for all MBA applicants: what do you do if the product you are selling suddenly becomes significantly less appealing to your international markets? Evolving conditions have made your customers doubt your product is worth as much as you are charging, and fewer potential customers are taking the risk on your product. The answer that the top MBA programs identified: Reduce the risk and make the product more cost-effective!

I am speaking, of course, of the increasing number of American MBA programs that have earned STEM certification. As work visas to stay in the U.S. after business school and earn the salaries that international students need to pay off their student loans became harder to come by, international applications decreased. In fact, 48% of U.S. MBA programs reported a decline in international applications for their 2019 entering classes; 23% of U.S. MBA programs reported a significant decline (a 21% or more drop in international applications)!

To alleviate the uncertainty in the visa process, the American MBA programs have found a strategic differentiator: STEM certification. Graduates of certified science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) degree programs qualify for STEM OPT (Optional Practical Training), a 24-month extension of a student’s F-1 visa to apply the skills they learned in their STEM degree studies in full-time employment in the U.S.

While some MBA programs – such as Chicago Booth, Wharton, Virginia Darden – now offer specific concentrations that qualify international students for STEM OPT, others – such as Berkeley Haas, Carnegie Mellon Tepper, and Rochester Simon – qualify MBA graduates of all majors in their MBA programs for this extension.

Name of MBA ProgramMajors that are STEM designated

Berkeley HaasAll Majors

Carnegie Mellon All Majors

Chicago Booth1) Business Analytics

2) Analytic Finance

Cornell JohnsonTech MBA

Duke Fuqua Second Major in Management Science and Technology Management (MSTeM)

New York University Tech MBA

Northwestern KelloggManagement Science

Notre Dame MendozaMBA/Master of Science in Business Analytics Dual Degree

Pace UniversityMBA in Information Systems

Rochester SimonAll Specializations

University of Connecticut1) Business Analytics 2) Digital Marketing Strategy 3) Financial Analysis and Investments

University of Delaware LernerMajor in Business Analytics

University of Georgia TerryOnly open to U. of Georgia undergraduates; includes 45 majors

University of North Texas RyanMBA in Business Analytics

University of Wisconsin-Madison1) Specialization in Operations and Technology Management

2) Supply Chain Management

USC Marshall Specialization in Management Science

Vanderbilt OwenFinance Concentration

Virginia Darden Specialization in Management Science

Wharton1) Business Analytics (CIP Code 52.1301) 2) Actuarial Science (CIP Code 52.1304) [But this major is being discontinued after the class of 2020)3) Business Economics & Public Policy (CIP Code (CIP Code 45.0603)4) Operations, Information & Decisions (CIP Code 52.1399)

We’re going to do our best to keep this table current. However, please do not rely on this table; confirm the STEM designation yourself to make sure that the MBA programs you apply to really have that designation. And if you find out a school has attained STEM certification and is not on the list, please let us know by emailing blogAccepted.com.

If you would like to learn how to get into top MBA programs that offer STEM OPT eligibility and are a good fit for you, register for a free consultation with me

At Accepted, we’ve helped hundreds of applicants get accepted to top MBA programs and look forward to helping you too!

[img]https://no-cache.hubspot.com/cta/default/58291/a921552d-3588-4837-b48b-f2b386f0a230.png[/img]

[img]https://blog.accepted.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Jennifer-Bloom-Accepted-Consultant.jpg[/img]
By Jennifer Bloom, admissions consultant at Accepted for 20 years and Certified Professional Resume Writer (CPRW). She is an expert at guiding you to produce application materials that truly differentiate you from the rest of the driven applicant pool. If you would like help with your application, Jennifer can suggest a number of options that work with any budget. Want Jennifer to help you get accepted? Click here to get in touch!

Related Resources:

Navigate the MBA Maze, a free guide

Highlights of Bloomberg Businessweek’s 2019 MBA Rankings

International Application Volume Drops At U.S. Grad Schools

The post Top MBA Programs Get STEM-Certified to Attract Int’l Students appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Columbia Business School Class of 2021 Profile [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Columbia Business School Class of 2021 Profile

Here is a look at Columbia Business School’s class of 2021 (info from the Columbia Business School website).

• Applications received: 5876
  • Admitted: 1122
  • Enrolled: 754, divided into 11 clusters
  • January entry class size: 203, divided into 3 clusters
  • August entry class size: 551, divided into 8 clusters
  • GMAT scores (average): 727
  • GMAT scores (range): 560-790
  • GMAT scores (middle 80%): 690-760
  • Undergraduate GPA (average): 3.6
  • Undergraduate GPA (middle 80%): 3.2-3.9
  • Work experience (average): 5 years
  • Work experience (middle 80%): 3-8 years
  • At least 1 year of work experience: 99%
  • Average age: 28
  • Age range: 22-51
  • Age range (middle 80%): 25-31
  • Women: 38%
  • Minorities of US origin: 33%
  • International citizens: 47%
Undergraduate majors

MajorPercent

Business32%

Economics19%

Engineering17%

Social Science14%

Humanities8%

Sciences7%

Other2%

Technology1%

Previous industries

IndustryPercent

Financial Services29%

Consulting23%

Marketing/Media15%

Technology7%

Other6%

Healthcare5%

Nonprofit5%

Military/Government4%

Real Estate3%

Energy2%

Manufacturing1%

Do you have what it takes to be part of the Columbia Business School Class of 2022?
Register for our upcoming live webinar, Get Accepted to CBS, during which you’ll learn expert tips that will help you strengthen your Columbia application.

Trying to submit by those R2 deadlines?
Need someone who will help you get admissions-ready in a pinch? Our advisors are ready to walk you through the application process, making sure that you submit an acceptance-worthy application before those looming deadlines hit. Learn more about our MBA Admissions Services here.

Related Resources:

Get Accepted to Columbia Business School, a free webinar

• Columbia Business School MBA Application Essay Tips & Deadlines

The Applicants That Stand Out at Columbia Business School

The post Columbia Business School Class of 2021 Profile appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Yale School of Management MBA Class of 2021 Profile [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Yale School of Management MBA Class of 2021 Profile

Here is a look at Yale SOM’s class of 2021 profile, taken from the Yale SOM website.

• Total enrollment: 345
  • Women: 42%
  • International passport holders: 44% (includes U.S. permanent residents and dual citizens)
  • U.S. Students of Color: 29% (includes U.S. citizens and permanent residents who identify as Asian, Black, Hispanic/Latino, Native American/Islander, or Multiethnic)
  • Underrepresented US Students of Color: 13% (includes U.S. citizens and permanent residents who identify as Black, Hispanic/Latino, Native American/Islander, or Multiethnic)
  • Median undergraduate GPA: 3.66
  • 80% range of undergraduate GPA: 3.34-3.92
  • Median GMAT: 720
  • Middle 80% GMAT range: 680-760
  • Median GRE-V: 165
  • Middle 80% GRE-V range: 160-170
  • Median GRE-Q: 165
  • Middle 80% GRE-Q range: 159-168
  • % with GRE scores: 26%
  • Citizenship by region (based on primary citizenship):
North America: 69%

Asia Pacific: 18%

The Caribbean, Central, and South America: 5%

Africa & Middle East: 4%

Europe: 4%

• Citizenships represented: 47
Undergraduate majors

MajorPercent

STEM30%

Humanities & Social Sciences28%

Business23%

Economics19%

Pre-SOM industry

IndustryPercent

Financial Services19.8%

Consulting18.8%

Nonprofit14.9%

Government7.9%

Manufacturing6.9%

Transportation & Logistical Services6.9%

Energy5%

Healthcare (including Products & Services)5%

Media/Entertainment4%

Consumer Packaged Goods3%

Other2%

Retail2%

Real Estate2%

Hospitality1%

Technology1%

Pre-SOM sector

SectorPercent

For-profit73%

Nonprofit17%

Government10%

Can you see yourself at Yale SOM? Learn how you can secure your spot when you work one-on-one with an expert Accepted advisor. Explore our MBA Admissions Services for more information on how we can help you get ACCEPTED!

Related Resources:

• Best MBA Programs, a guide to selecting the right one

• Yale SOM MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines

Life at Yale SOM, Google Internship & the Importance of Diversity

The post Yale School of Management MBA Class of 2021 Profile appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Eli’s Journey to Columbia B-School and His Passion for Being at the Ve [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Eli’s Journey to Columbia B-School and His Passion for Being at the Very Center of Business

Learn how real students and recent grads have navigated their way through the business school admissions process and b-school itself with our What is Business School Really Like? series.

Meet Eli, a first-year MBA student at Columbia Business School with unique international experience.
Eli, thank you for sharing your story with us!

We’d like to get to know you! Please share three unexpected or unique facts about yourself.
Eli:

• I have 5 siblings including a twin brother.
  • I once got lost in the Wind River Mountain Range in Wyoming for 3 days.
  • I spent 3 years in Israel studying abroad and doing military service.
Can you share a bit about your international pre-MBA work experience, including your military service?
Eli: At one of Israel’s largest banks, Bank Leumi, I worked in both Portfolio Strategy and Alternative Investments. There I was responsible for asset allocation on the one hand and bringing private investment funds to a platform for our clients. In terms of military service, I served as an infantryman in the Golani Brigade of the IDF (Israel Defense Force).

What inspired you to pursue an MBA? How did you choose which programs to apply to?
Eli: I wanted to build on my quantitative/qualitative skills at the highest level to build meaningful connections with tomorrow’s business leaders and to step out of my comfort zone in an environment that tolerates failure.

I understood early on that academics across top programs is essentially identical (with rare exceptions). I visited nearly 10 schools across the country to determine which cultures and locations would best suit my needs. Columbia had an incredible balance of high achieving but friendly culture and being at the “very center of business.”

How has Columbia’s location in New York City enriched your b-school experience?
Eli: People love to visit and live in NYC. Our location affords us access to amazing local companies and to the highest quality guest speakers and faculty.

The VC and Startup ecosystem in NYC is robust and growing every year. CBS, being the premier business school in New York, is perfectly situated to enable students to meet industry leaders in the capital of the business world. Beyond the location, the top-notch education will provide me with the skills to move from putting funds on platform for clients, to working for a fund or innovative startup in the future.

Did you encounter any bumps along the road to admission? How did you deal with the issues?
Eli: Crafting a narrative that made sense for both myself and admissions professionals was particularly challenging as I have a “nontraditional” background. Thankfully, I had an amazing Accepted consultant help me distill my experiences into terms that made business school a no-brainer for me, from an admissions perspective.

Can you describe the process that you and your Accepted admissions consultant went through together? How did she help you to present your past experiences and your future plans in a way that showed clearly that getting an MBA from Columbia Business School was the best way for you to connect the two?
Eli: Natalie was instrumental in helping me craft an authentic narrative that tied together my past and future aspirations in a way that aligned with Columbia’s core mission: the opportunity for students to shape their careers at the very center of business.

How did you prepare for your interviews? Were you ever asked a question during an interview that took you completely by surprise?
Eli: My interviews were all highly behavioral. I was surprised that I was never truly surprised by an interview question. The most challenging question I was ever asked was: “What is the weakest part of your application?” This is very different than the typical “What is your greatest weakness question?” in that you typically put only what you consider strengths into your application. You don’t have the luxury of coming up with a previous response.

What extracurricular activities did you participate in prior to starting business school? What activities are you currently involved in?
Eli: Beyond work, my free time was spent with my wife/friends. I didn’t have the desire to do anything else. We would do some volunteer work with Meals on Wheels, walk around the city, eat at great restaurants, and just enjoy each other’s company. Now that my wife works longer hours than I fill with classes, I play on the CBS rugby team, volunteer with Read Ahead (a mentorship program for elementary school students), and attend events, professional and recreational, with my friends at CBS.

What does a typical day look like for you?
Eli: A typical day consists of classes, homework, coffee chats, and perhaps listening to interesting speakers or going out with classmates.

Check out our Columbia Business School application essay tips:

Columbia Business School MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines [2019 – 2020]

What are your favorite classes so far, and why?
Eli: In Strategy Formulation with Professor Dan Wang, I learned how to think about business strategy through the lens of quantitative and qualitative analysis. When I think of the value I hope to glean from my MBA education, understanding how to chart the strategic trajectory of a business is at the very top.

What classes are you most looking forward to taking in the future?
Eli: I’m very excited to take Organizational Change with Professor Todd Jick. The course is focused on how to be a change agent in an organization. Professor Jick is also known to be an incredible educator.

What do you like the most about your MBA program? What do you wish was different?
Eli: I love the comradery, quality of my peers, and location.

What do I wish was different? The facilities. I wish Uris Hall wasn’t so oppressively designed. Sometimes I swear I can feel the walls closing in on me.

What are your post-MBA plans or goals?
Eli: Coming from Alternatives prior to my MBA, post-MBA I hope to join a VC firm or late-stage startup. I hope to be able to make a difference on a large scale at any organization I join.

Do you have questions for Eli? Questions for us? Do you want to be featured in our next What is Business School Really Like? post? Know someone else who you’d love to see featured? Are there questions you’d like us to ask our students in this series? LET US KNOW!

You can learn more about Eli by connecting with him on LinkedIn.

Are you setting out on your own b-school journey? We can help you reach the finish line! Check out our MBA Admissions Consulting Services to team up with an admissions expert who will help you join the ranks of thousands of Accepted clients who get accepted to their dream schools.

Related Resources:

Ask Me Anything: Columbia Business School Admissions Director Michael Robinson Answers Applicant Questions

Columbia Business School MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines [2019 – 2020]

The Applicants That Stand Out at Columbia Business School

The post Eli’s Journey to Columbia B-School and His Passion for Being at the Very Center of Business appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
Wharton MBA Class of 2021 Profile [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Wharton MBA Class of 2021 Profile

Here’s a look at the Wharton MBA class of 2021 profile, taken from the Wharton website.

• Percent female: 47%
  • International students: 30%
  • U.S. students of color: 36% (students of African-American, Asian-American, Native American/Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian descent & multiethnic backgrounds)
  • LGBT students: 5%
  • Countries represented: 64
  • Work experience (overall range): 0-16 years
  • Mean years work experience: 5
  • GMAT score (overall range): 540-790
  • GMAT mean score: 732
  • GRE mean Verbal score: 162
  • GRE mean Quant score: 162
  • GRE mean Writing score: 4.8
  • GPA average: 3.6
  • Integrated programs: Wharton offers 3 fully integrated interdisciplinary programs at the University of Pennsylvania – The Carey JD/MBA, Lauder MBA/MA in International Studies, and Health Care Management.
• Number of applications: 5,905

• Enrolled class: 856

Undergraduate majors

MajorPercent

Humanities43%

STEM30%

Business27%

Previous industry experience

IndustryPercent

Consulting25%

PE/VC12%

Other10%

Nonprofit/Government9%

Tech/Internet Services9%

Investment Banking9%

Other Financial Services6%

Investment Management5%

Healthcare5%

CPG/Retail4%

Energy3%

Media/Entertainment3%

Do you have what it takes to be part of the Wharton MBA Class of 2022? Watch our popular webinar, Get Accepted to Wharton, to learn expert tips that will help you strengthen your Wharton application.

Trying to hit those R2 deadlines? Need someone who will help you get admissions-ready in a pinch? Our admissions experts are ready to walk you through the application process, making sure that you submit an acceptance-worthy application before those deadlines arrive. Learn more about our MBA Admissions Services here.

Related Resources:

Would You Benefit From a Mock Wharton Team-Based Discussion?

A Bain Consultant-Turned Wharton MBA Starts Her Own Business, a podcast episode

How This Wharton MBA Created Her Women’s Workwear Brand

The post Wharton MBA Class of 2021 Profile appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
Send PM
HBS 2+2 Student Launches Innovative New Student Loan Start-up [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: HBS 2+2 Student Launches Innovative New Student Loan Start-up

Learn about HBS 2+2 from Tess Michaels, entrepreneur and HBS 2+2 student [Show Summary]
Stride Funding is an innovative start-up that is revolutionizing student financing with income share arrangements instead of traditional student loans. Today Linda talks to Tess Michaels, founder of Stride Funding, and second-year student at Harvard Business School who joined the class of 2020 through HBS 2+2. She shares how she came up with the idea, how HBS has been instrumental in Stride’s success, and her path to HBS and 2+2.

Tess Michaels discusses what it’s like being an HBS student with a Start-up [Show Notes]
Our guest today, Tess Michaels, has done a ton. I’m going to give you a few details, and then let her fill in her story herself as well as tell us about the new student financing start-up she has founded and is running. Tess graduated from Penn with a Bachelors in Applied Science and another Bachelors from the Wharton School in Global Impact Investing and Operations Management. She has a long list of activities and offices held while there, and in addition founded Soceana, a platform to “democratize giving and promote corporate volunteerism,” which was acquired in 2018. After graduation and being accepted to Harvard’s 2+2 program she worked at Goldman Sachs as an analyst for two years and then at Vista Equity Partners as a PE Associate. She joined HBS in 2018 and immediately founded Stride Funding, which we will learn more about later in this interview.

Can you tell us a little about your background? Where you grew up? What do you like to do for fun? [2:31]
I grew up in Texas and have a big love of BBQ. I love going to comedy shows, seeing live music and movies. One of my favorite films is Good Will Hunting, a Boston classic!

Why did you decide to get two bachelors degrees at Penn? [3:12]
Growing up I was really interested in science but also in business. At Penn I had the opportunity to study biology but also operations and investing at Wharton so I decided to take advantage of it.

Why HBS 2+2? [4:01]
My junior year at Penn I met with a couple upperclassmen who had applied and told me about the benefits. I knew I had gotten a lot out of the business classes at Wharton and wanted to take the opportunity to learn from a very global peer set as well as utilize the case method, which was very different from how I had been studying. 2+2 gave me the flexibility to pursue work that built upon my skill set before going to b- school with the comfort of knowing I was going to go to HBS.

How would your initial post graduate years have been different if you hadn’t been accepted to 2+2? [4:54]
I would most likely have gone into investment banking anyway. It is a great place to grow a skill set. Having 2+2 let me decide that while I loved finance, I missed the operations piece, and knew I could focus on that once I arrived, which was nice.

Do you remember anything particularly challenging about your MBA application process? [5:50]
With 2+2 you are applying early in your career, really without formal work experience, and you have to be thoughtful about who you choose to write letters of recommendation. Luckily, I had the benefit of growing my first start up while at Penn, so had people who could speak to my abilities in that regard. The second is crafting the right story. Thinking through your career path, why business school, and where it will take you.

What do you like most about Harvard? [7:00]
Number one: the people are so inspiring. 40% of the class is international. Second is the experiences – the international trips you take are led by fellow classmates from the countries you are visiting, which adds a whole new level of experience with a local’s perspective. Last, having the opportunity to grow Stride while in school has shaped my experience and made HBS similar to an accelerator – learning from professors, entrepreneurs in residence, etc.

What would you like to see improved? [8:12]
The first-year experience is really valuable to build the community with the section – you take every class with the same group of 90 students – but a lot of classes overlapped with my undergrad experience. The other thing I would say is the lack of diversity in cases – the types of protagonists don’t reflect the actual diversity in the workplace.

With all the great experience you had both from your education and work, are you actually learning anything new from the classes? [9:10]
There is not a day I regret going to HBS. The classes I am taking this year have been incredibly valuable, being taught by practitioners who have been incredibly successful in their careers. Classes are very different this year and specialized to what I need. The case method is also incredibly unique. You are learning from fellow peers who have collective experiences no individual could have themselves – from the military, Tesla, big corporations with different missions and visions, and all are invaluable to my learning experience.

Did you arrive at HBS knowing you wanted to start a business? [10:48]
I did. I loved my time at Goldman, but missed operations. I knew that HBS would be a great launch pad to start something new. I spent a great deal of time thinking through problems I was very passionate about, real pain points. By the time I got to HBS I had been working on Stride for a few months.

Tell me about Stride Funding What is it? How does it work? [11:39]
The ideation process was very raw at first. I started by asking anyone and everyone, “If you could solve any one problem, what would it be?” There was a recurring theme – the cost of education has just become so high, which has made the decision to go to grad school that much harder. When I was talking to HBS peers I heard that even more. I did field research and was ready to go with the right business model and the right problem when I arrived.

Stride Funding is a student financing company. We offer a different kind of model based on income sharing. Traditional loans accrue interest while in school, and then you are paying a lot when you are making the least right out of school. During down times in your career (laid off, maternity leave, etc) you are paying hefty interest payments, so how do we align cost and value of education? Schools expect students to pay it all up front, and it is up to students to make sure the cost is worth it.

What we have is an income share agreement – we help grad students get funding and in return we take a fixed percentage of that student’s income over five years. This allows more flexibility. You are paying the lowest amount when you are making the lowest amount, and if you are laid off you pay nothing. We do well if the student does well, so we have also built a community – recruiters, resume services, and a peer-to-peer network. Funding is step one, but we are here for you throughout your career. We essentially are investors – students are the start-ups and we nurture them, and we have the incentive to do so.

From a cost perspective we are about the same price as a traditional loan but with none of the downside, and the upside of community built in with no additional costs. We want students to never worry about whether they can afford the education, and to know we are invested in them.

How have the Harvard Incubator Lab and HBS’ other entrepreneurial resources played a role in the founding and success of Stride Funding? Getting funding? [17:45]
I have been able to meet professors with incredible networks who have given me great guidance, and I’ve been able to learn from their careers. Jeff Buskin is my advisor and introduced me to investors. Second is the ability to ideate with others who keep you accountable for what you say you will achieve. We have weekly meetings with entrepreneurs in residence, and having peers in similar boats is really amazing. The last thing is the ability to be on campus with the target segment, so it is really “for students by students,” seeing those pain points every day. Being in Boston is incredible with the number of students and schools.

How do you manage the demands of b-school and running a business? [20:19]
It is a lot. You sacrifice a lot of sleep. The primary things are my classes are really well aligned with the start up. They are completely relevant to Stride – focused on selling, real value proposition, and brand value. Second is having an amazing team to work with. I could not have picked a better group. We are in constant communication, and I could depend on them for my life. We are having a retreat in Dallas in January. We keep each other accountable and energized about why we joined Stride in the first place. This is my number one priority, and I find ways to make it work.

Plans for the future? How do you see yourself growing Stride Funding? Could it work for other funding needs? (mortgages for example – lending for assets that appreciate?) [22:19]
There are a lot of different growth sectors we think about. The student loan market is such a huge industry – we hear about it in the news every single day. We already have our work cut out for us in fulfilling that demand. We probably will expand to undergrad later. Our second product is prepping to launch, which is a refinance option, and will be available in 2020. It is essentially converting all traditional loans into one income share agreement that is much more manageable. Beyond that we are looking at pain points in other areas.

What would you have liked me to ask you? [24:57]
Maybe what a good team looks like. So much of this business is built from the team, so I want to give a shout out to an incredible group of people. My partner in crime, Patrick Connor, has been in the lending space for 25 years and worked at companies like SoFi and the big banks. He makes sure underwriting is fair. We have an amazing group of students at Harvard College – they bring so much energy and passion to the cause. Hiring the right people should first be mission-focused. People need to not just have great skills but understand the pain points and prioritize them. Our mission is, “Fund your Future, Hit your Stride.” It is about being there for every part of a student’s journey, which is why community is so important. We aim to ensure students are able to really be successful and are their partner every step of the way. We anticipate the relationship continuing, building on things like the peer to peer network.

Related Links:

Stride Funding

Get Accepted to Columbia Business School, upcoming webinar

Harvard Business School Application Essay Tips

Get Accepted to Harvard Business School, on-demand webinar

Accepted MBA Admissions Services

Related Shows:

How to Present a Winning Wharton Application

How to Leverage an HBS Education: The Story of LeverEdge

Ida Valentine: Investment Banker, Inspirational Speaker, HBS 2021

NYU Stern: An Insider’s Perspective on Getting Accepted

Yale MBA: The Inside Scoop on The Essay, Videos & Behavioral Assessment

Subscribe:

Podcast Feed

Tags: Admissions Straight Talk, Grad School Admissions, Law School Admissions, MBA Admissions, Medical School Admissions

The post Entrepreneurship at HBS: The Story of Stride [Episode 341] appeared first on Accepted Admissions Blog.
GMAT Club Bot
HBS 2+2 Student Launches Innovative New Student Loan Start-up [#permalink]
   1  ...  89   90   91   92   93  ...  122