Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3450 [0]
Given Kudos: 162
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V30
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: Are my scores enough? Or should I retake? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
POPS_91 wrote:
Hi all,

I am applying to INSEAD and HEC Paris' PhD programs. My undergrad GPA is 3.7, I have a research masters in chemistry with a 4.0 GPA, and an MBA degree with a GPA of 4.0. I have work experience of 7 years a in various industries as well.

I have presented twice the GMAT, in 2017 my score was 670, 5 on AWA and 7 on IR.
I took the GMAT again a week ago, got a 710 score, but my AWA score is 4.5 and my IR is 5 (was sick and lost focus in the end).
Both scores appear on my GMAT test score, but I'm worried my second scores will affect me badly.

Should I retake the gmat?

Posted from my mobile device

I agree with Dillesh4096, regardless of the two-year gap you more recently mentioned. Since the other parts of your application are in good order and you have demonstrated in the past that you can handle the IR and AWA, there is no need to subject yourself to the GMAT™ for a third time in a rush bid to round out everything. Consider, what would you do if you landed somewhere in the middle, as often happens with back-to-back testing experiences, say, a 690-700 total score, a 5.0 AWA, and a 6 IR? Or what if the score were lopsided in some other way? Would you feel any better with an 8 IR but a 680 total score? I would go ahead and apply. If you were unsuccessful at earning your place in the program, then you could consider a retake.

Best of luck.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MentorTutoring wrote:
POPS_91 wrote:
Hi all,

I am applying to INSEAD and HEC Paris' PhD programs. My undergrad GPA is 3.7, I have a research masters in chemistry with a 4.0 GPA, and an MBA degree with a GPA of 4.0. I have work experience of 7 years a in various industries as well.

I have presented twice the GMAT, in 2017 my score was 670, 5 on AWA and 7 on IR.
I took the GMAT again a week ago, got a 710 score, but my AWA score is 4.5 and my IR is 5 (was sick and lost focus in the end).
Both scores appear on my GMAT test score, but I'm worried my second scores will affect me badly.

Should I retake the gmat?

Posted from my mobile device

I agree with Dillesh4096, regardless of the two-year gap you more recently mentioned. Since the other parts of your application are in good order and you have demonstrated in the past that you can handle the IR and AWA, there is no need to subject yourself to the GMAT™ for a third time in a rush bid to round out everything. Consider, what would you do if you landed somewhere in the middle, as often happens with back-to-back testing experiences, say, a 690-700 total score, a 5.0 AWA, and a 6 IR? Or what if the score were lopsided in some other way? Would you feel any better with an 8 IR but a 680 total score? I would go ahead and apply. If you were unsuccessful at earning your place in the program, then you could consider a retake.

Best of luck.

- Andrew

Then I will focus on the letter of motivation for both schools and the research subjects presentation.
One more question: at INSEAD it is not required from my side to apply to the program since my last degree courses were in English. However, I am taking the test anyways for HEC Paris, where it is required. If I submit my TOEFL score, can it be an indicator that my level of English is up to their standards despite the AWA score? Or there is no need for me to send unnecessary test results?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
POPS_91 wrote:

Then I will focus on the letter of motivation for both schools and the research subjects presentation.
One more question: at INSEAD it is not required from my side to apply to the program since my last degree courses were in English. However, I am taking the test anyways for HEC Paris, where it is required. If I submit my TOEFL score, can it be an indicator that my level of English is up to their standards despite the AWA score? Or there is no need for me to send unnecessary test results?

If the school does not ask you to submit something, then do not submit it just to make yourself look better. Following instructions often works better. On the other hand, if you contact someone from the program and ask about sending a TOEFL score, and you are told that it will be considered if you submit it, then by all means, have at it.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MentorTutoring wrote:
POPS_91 wrote:

If the school does not ask you to submit something, then do not submit it just to make yourself look better. Following instructions often works better. On the other hand, if you contact someone from the program and ask about sending a TOEFL score, and you are told that it will be considered if you submit it, then by all means, have at it.

- Andrew

Thank you!
GMAT Club Bot