Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Parallelismx   Pronounsx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [1]
Given Kudos: 779
GMAT 1: 430 Q39 V12
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2163 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 174
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
WE:Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [1]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Re: Astronomers at the Palomar Observatory have discovered a distant super [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Tracy95 wrote:
Dear EMPOWERgmatVerbal

Below is similar question from OG https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-world-wi ... 03470.html in which C is correct.
The World Wildlife Fund has declared that global warming, a phenomenon most scientists agree to be caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels, will create havoc among migratory birds by altering the environment in ways harmful to their habitats.

(A) a phenomenon most scientists agree to be caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels,
(B) a phenomenon most scientists agree that is caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings,
(C) a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels,
(D) which most scientists agree on as a phenomenon caused by human beings who burn fossil fuels,
(E) which most scientists agree to be a phenomenon caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings,

By a similar logic, I think it should be (A) for the question: Astronomers at the Palomar Observatory have discovered a distant supernova explosion, one that they believe is a type previously unknown to science.

I am very confused.
Could you please shed some light on this?

Thank you very much!
Tracy

Thanks for your question, Tracy95! Make sure that you go back to each of these questions and look over the official explanations in the "Spoiler" section.

For this question, option A has a couple problems, as outlined in the official explanation:

1. It has an extra pronoun "that," which doesn't need to be there because "one" already covers it.
2. It doesn't have the "of" it needs to convey the correct meaning. Since the sentence is talking about "one of a type" we need to keep the "of."

Since these two sentences are a bit different, they will need different things for the correct answer. If you have any other questions, feel free to tag me at EMPOWERgmatVerbal or send a message!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 283 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GPA: 3.27
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
Re: Astronomers at the Palomar Observatory have discovered a distant super [#permalink]
Use of that? one already works as pronoun, use of that is not required.
“Believe + to be” is correct construction
A B out
C that it is – one is already used as a pronoun therefore it here is redundant
D unidiomatic. That follows verb believe, this type of construction indicates start of new subject verb.
S+V THAT S+V However in this choice the construction is incorrect.
E CORRECT: they believe to be of a type
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44 (Online)
GPA: 3.61
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja,

Could you please explain the difference between choice A and choice D? I am not sure what this question is testing.

Thanks in advance/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Send PM
Astronomers at the Palomar Observatory have discovered a distant super [#permalink]
Hi GMATNinja

Please could you help us with the analysis of (A) vs (D)?

Thanks!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [5]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
jayarora wrote:
Hi GMATNinja,

Could you please explain the difference between choice A and choice D? I am not sure what this question is testing.

Thanks in advance/

Mizar18 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja

Please could you help us with the analysis of (A) vs (D)?

Thanks!

Let's start with choice (D):

Quote:
(D) Astronomers at the Palomar Observatory have discovered a distant supernova explosion, one they believe that is a type previously unknown to science.

If we ignore the "that" clause, we have "Astronomers at the Palomar Observatory have discovered a distant supernova explosion, one they believe." So it sounds like the astronomers BELIEVE the distant supernova explosion. Does that mean that there are sometimes fake supernova explosions but that the astronomers believe this one is legit? Or that supernova explosions are sometimes liars but that the astronomers find this one to be trustworthy?? :dontknow:

Of course, these interpretations are a bit absurd -- the astronomers don't believe the supernova explosion itself. Rather, the astronomers believe something ABOUT the supernova explosion: that it's of a type previously unknown to science, as expressed in the correct answer choice (E).

The placement of "that" in choice (A) gets us a little closer to the right meaning. But do the scientists believe that the recently discovered supernova explosion is, itself, a type? Or that this particular supernova explosion belongs to a previously unknown type (or category) of supernova explosions?

The latter makes more sense, so (E) wins over (A).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Astronomers at the Palomar Observatory have discovered a distant super [#permalink]
Kudos
I agree with DmitryFarber. The "that" in A is NOT wrong. And "believe is" in A is NOT wrong. What A is actually saying is that:

"one that they believe is" --> "one that, they believe, is" The two commas here might not be grammatically correct here but will help you understand how "they believe" comes into play. "They believe" is only "inserted" in the sentence, kind of similar to this example: "I love you", he said, "marry me." Here, "he said" is inserted. You get the idea.

E is correct but you need to know that E actually omits a "that" like the one in A.

A is wrong because it is missing "of".
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 503
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GRE 1: Q162 V150
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
egmat

According to Noun +noun modifier case
option A should be correct can you please help me with my understanding why in this case its wrong
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Can someone please answer this, a very valid question. If "believe to be" is idiomatic, then why does it not conform in another similar question?

PiyushK wrote:
Refer this question :
https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-recent-study-on-lyme-disease-suggests-that-people-who-are-169777.html
(THIS QUESTION)

A recent study on Lyme Disease suggests that people who are bitten by ticks, especially by the lone star tick, develop a severe allergy to meat that scientists believe to be turning into an epidemic
a.to be
b.would be
c.is
d.it is
e.it would be

and then refer:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-world-wil ... 03470.html

Compared to these two questions I am not able to understand why option E is correct in this question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
zhanbo - Request you to please guide what are we missing. :please:

Pankaj0901 wrote:
Can someone please answer this, a very valid question. If "believe to be" is idiomatic, then why does it not conform in another similar question?

PiyushK wrote:
Refer this question :
https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-recent-study-on-lyme-disease-suggests-that-people-who-are-169777.html
(THIS QUESTION)

A recent study on Lyme Disease suggests that people who are bitten by ticks, especially by the lone star tick, develop a severe allergy to meat that scientists believe to be turning into an epidemic
a.to be
b.would be
c.is
d.it is
e.it would be

and then refer:

Compared to these two questions I am not able to understand why option E is correct in this question.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Pankaj0901 wrote:
zhanbo - Request you to please guide what are we missing. :please:

Pankaj0901 wrote:

PiyushK wrote:
Refer this question :
(THIS QUESTION)

a.to be
b.would be
c.is
d.it is
e.it would be

and then refer:

I do not have a definitive answer as to why sentence (1) is necessarily wrong.

(1) Scientists believe the severe allergy to be turning into an epidemic.
(2) Scientists believe (that) the severe allergy is turning into an epidemic.

I hope someone else has better idea to address this official GMAT question. What we can probably agree is that sentence (2) is not only shorter (shorter is better) but also more straightforward in conveying its meaning. So I would choose (2) , but, like you, I wonder whether there is something fundamentally wrong with sentence (1).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 304
GMAT 1: 730 Q43 V42
Send PM
holidevil wrote:
Astronomers at the Palomar Observatory have discovered a distant supernova explosion, one that they believe is a type previously unknown to science.
(A) that they believe is
one already works as pronoun, use of that is not required.
Preposition 'of' is required before 'type'
'believe to be' is idiomatic

(B) that they believe it to be
Similar to A
'it' is redundant

(C) they believe that it is of
(D) they believe that is
'believe that is' unidiomatic
Missing the require Preposition 'of'

(E) they believe to be of
Correct removal of the duplicate pronoun 'that'
Preposition 'of' is correctly used

i'm not sure this is right. there is an assumed "that" in the correct answer choice. "that" + they is an absolute modifier modifying one.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.3
WE:Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
Send PM
The usage of 'One', 'that' and 'it' in the same sentence is redundant. Any one of them will suffice to refer to an antecedent. So A, B, C, and D can be eliminated quickly.

Cheers and Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Schools: IIMC MBAEx'23
Send PM
Dear Team,
As per Manhattan SC book, Both "Believe to be" and "Believe that" idioms are correct.
However, in this question, I am not convinced why E is right and Why D is wrong?
Please support to elaborate
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [3]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM