Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:01 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Vanderbilt MBA Admissions and Related Blogs [#permalink]
FROM Owen Press Releases: When Making Small Donations, We Prefer Anonymity
The post When Making Small Donations, We Prefer Anonymity appeared first on Vanderbilt Business School.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM Owen Press Releases: Short Sell: Blake Gore, Drawer of Tiny Stuff
It’s hard to tell what’s more impressive about Blake Gore’s art: that’s it’s so diminutive (1″ x 1″) or that he’s only been drawing with any regularity for roughly a year.

To kick off “The Short Sell” — a series of 5-minute podcasts — we spoke with Vanderbilt Business’ Director of Learning Experience & Design about his craft, why everyone should draw, and what professionals can learn from his experience.

To see more of Blake’s art, follow him on Instagram or visit his shop on Etsy.

The post Short Sell: Blake Gore, Drawer of Tiny Stuff appeared first on Vanderbilt Business School.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM Owen Press Releases: That shoddy, last-minute gift wrapping job could play in your favor, study suggests
The post That shoddy, last-minute gift wrapping job could play in your favor, study suggests appeared first on Vanderbilt Business School.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM Owen Press Releases: ‘Tis the Season to Be Stressed (And Why You Don’t Have to Be)
The post ‘Tis the Season to Be Stressed (And Why You Don’t Have to Be) appeared first on Vanderbilt Business School.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM Owen Press Releases: Can You Get into Consulting Without an MBA? Three Degrees to Get the Job
Consulting was the most popular career choice for Vanderbilt’s record-setting MBA Class of 2019, with 31% of graduates entering top consulting firms all across the country. It is no surprise that consulting is such a popular career choice, considering the excellent opportunity it offers for broad industry exposure through solving the world’s most challenging business problems.

Management consulting is a versatile field with many different entry points, from undergrad to MBA and beyond. To learn more about landing a job at the best consulting firms, we spoke with Cherrie Wilkerson, Assistant Dean for Young Professional Programs, and Emily Anderson, Senior Director at the Career Management Center. Here is their advice on breaking into top management consulting firms using three different degrees:

Undergraduate

Cherrie Wilkerson

Undergraduate students have two main points of entry into consulting: junior-year internship recruiting and senior-year full-time recruiting, both of which kick off in early fall, shortly after school swings into session. While summer internships are often a stepping stone to full-time offers, students who don’t receive internship offers can leverage their junior-year summer to gain valuable work experience and fine-tune their case prep skills to successfully pivot from internship rejection to full-time offer acceptance.

The earlier that undergrad students discover their interest in management consulting, the better. Preparation for a successful recruiting process begins as soon as students step foot on campus. According to Wilkerson, here are some steps undergraduates should take to nab an offer at the top consulting firms:

• Keep up your GPA: “You need to have it in your mind (that) most consulting firms are looking for a great GPA that demonstrates how hard you are willing to work.”
  • Strengthen your quantitative skills: “(Consulting firms) like to see evidence of quantitative skills. Engineering, mathematics, and economics all demonstrate that you’re not afraid of numbers and don’t mind being quantitative and analytical.”
  • Become a leader: “It’s not just a matter of being a member of an organization, but having a leadership role in the organization outside of your normal coursework is important.”
  • Think like a consultant: “You must excel under pressure and think analytically through an unstructured problem. Frankly, if you bomb (the case interview), it really doesn’t matter about those other (factors)… Start thinking about what the firms are looking for… and practice thinking analytically.”
One-Year Masters Program

Students who don’t discover their interest in management consulting until later in their undergraduate years can get a second chance at recruiting through a one-year business masters program like Vanderbilt’s own Master of Science in Finance and Master of Marketing. Since these one-year programs don’t have a summer break for internships, students usually recruit right into a full-time consulting role. According to Wilkerson, there are several advantages to recruiting at the master’s level:

• Accelerated opportunities for career progression: “You are still competing for an entry-level position into consulting, but a Bain recruiter I spoke with said, ‘We expect our Masters students to progress more quickly once they’re in the firm.’”
  • Personalized career coaching: “When you go to a program like Owen’s, particularly our Masters of Finance and Master of Marketing, you get a chance to get coached up by our career coaches. Our coverage is 10 to 1 what most undergraduate schools can do, so those career coaches know you inside out.”
  • MBA-level quantitative skills: “For students who have a very broad liberal arts background and don’t have the quantitative skills, both of our programs in Marketing and Finance allow you to enhance those at an MBA level.”
  • Second chance at GPA and involvement: “If your GPA was not stellar, or you weren’t involved in school, you have a chance to do that here at Owen… where you’re taking MBA-level classes.”
MBA

Emily Anderson

Similar to undergraduates, MBA students have two main points of entry into management consulting: first-year internship recruiting and second-year full-time recruiting. Applications to firms are typically due in late fall, with interviews kicking off in January. However, recruiting preparation begins well before students start school in the fall. Anderson walks us through the preparation process for recruiting at top consulting firms as an MBA student:

• Maximize your summer: “You don’t have to demonstrate knowledge early, but you do need to demonstrate a basic understanding of the industry and what they are looking for in you as a candidate… We work primarily in that early time period as a facilitator to help people understand what the process is going to look like as it goes along, and to get you ready on the basics with your résumé and the expectation of how you need to present yourself.”
  • Case, case, and case again: “We bring Mark Cosentino (Case in Point), David Ohrvall (MBACASE), and Lewis Lin (Impact Interview) to campus… Our consulting club is very active in having the process down and the availability for practice because you can learn the theory, but the only way to really be good at casing is to do a lot of cases. So (they) developed case books and sessions where people get to practice and have their interviews critiqued. They also do a case certification, so students can opt in, and if you do 30 cases, you get to case with alums.”
  • Know the firm and network strategically: “Some firms are much more networking-driven. Deloitte would be on the high end of that. They really value your ability to make connections… Bain is looking at your credentials, and they want to see excellence and academics and work experience. Networking is nice to have, but they’re going to evaluate you, at least initially, much more on how you come across on your resume.”
  • Keep up with business news: “Having a basic understanding of the economic drivers is always important, so we try to encourage people to set up news alerts through the major national newspapers, reading more in-depth through articles, like in The Economist or Financial Times.”
Management consulting offers a fantastic opportunity to gain broad exposure to the business world, whether right out of undergrad or after business school. Aspiring consultants seeking to refine quantitative skills and gain access to an extensive alumni network, personalized career coaching, and supportive peer mentorship should consider applying to a one-year masters or MBA program for a strategic boost in the recruiting process.

The post Can You Get into Consulting Without an MBA? Three Degrees to Get the Job appeared first on Vanderbilt Business School.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM Owen Press Releases: MMHC Gives Clinician with Deep Roots the Breadth of Business Knowledge to Succeed

Rich Metzger

The summer after his first year in college, Rick Metzger (MMHC’12) took a job as an orderly at Huntsville Hospital in Alabama. He never imagined that the job would lead to a 25-year career that reaches the upper echelons of the healthcare field.

“I was all set to head back to the university after the summer job ended,” Metzger said. “Then the person they hired to replace me didn’t show up for work. Huntsville Hospital said they’d help pay for my education if I’d stay and keep working. From then on, I was working full time while I was working on my undergraduate degree.”

That was 1994. Metzger, now vice president of operations and surgical services at Providence Hospital in Mobile, progressed steadily through his career: becoming a scrub tech, getting his nursing degree, taking the lead as a clinical coordinator, ascending to director of surgery in the women’s and children’s unit, and finally becoming a service-line director at the 971-bed level-1 trauma center.

“I spent over 22 years at Huntsville Hospital (before moving to Providence) and got to experience pretty much every level of staff and management roles,” Metzger said. “I’ve been exposed to a lot of leaders, and so many in the hospital setting only have a finance background or only learned about the healthcare world in school. The best thing about my current job is that I’m getting to truly use my master’s degree while being fundamentally grounded from my clinical background.”

Being a nurse and a clinician, Metzger’s next logical step in education would have been a Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) or a Doctorate of Nursing Practice (DNP). His career had already given him depth in the clinical space, however, and he felt he needed to understand the business side of healthcare to make the biggest difference.

“I wanted something to diversify my acumen,” he explained. “With a business degree, I not only have the depth of clinical experience, but the breadth of education to see the larger picture.”

Vanderbilt’s Master of Management in Health Care gave Metzger that breadth of business knowledge that he needed to be able to succeed as a healthcare executive. He says he uses the full spectrum of his degree every day in his role as vice president at Providence Hospital.

“You don’t hone in on one area; that’s the beauty,” he said. “The MMHC program gives you just the right amount of expertise to understand the things that work, the things that don’t, and what to look for to make an impact. There are folks that work in accounting or marketing that are a lot smarter about those areas, but as an executive I need to understand whether their choices are working for all of our operations.”

Metzger credits Huntsville Hospital for giving him the background for success and Vanderbilt’s MMHC for widening his career path and giving him the ability to advance. “Huntsville Hospital will always be home. They really set me up for my career,” he said. “But having the Vanderbilt brand on my résumé opened up doors. You still need the background, the knowledge of healthcare, but the MMHC helps people look your way. You combine that with a strong clinical background, and recruiters will constantly reach out with opportunities.”

The post MMHC Gives Clinician with Deep Roots the Breadth of Business Knowledge to Succeed appeared first on Vanderbilt Business School.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM Owen Press Releases: Vanderbilt Business Top Stories of 2019
As the year comes to a close, we look back at 2019 and select some of the most popular Owen news articles. From setting salary records to winning case competitions, here’s what happened during the last year:

MBA Class of 2019 Sets New Record for Highest Average Base Salary

Class of 2019 graduates from the MBA program reported average base salary earnings of $118,888, representing an increase of 7% over the previous year’s figure. Combined with an average signing/starting bonus of $25,642, this salary means that the class of 2019 is the highest compensated class of MBAs in Owen’s history. Check out more highlight from this year’s employment report here.

Remembering Jim Schorr and Germain Boer

This past year, the Owen community lost two beloved members: Professor Jim Schorr and Professor Germain Boer. We miss them both greatly and will remember the impact they had for years to come.

MSF Class of 2019 Sets New Record for Highest Average Base Salary

Class of 2019 graduates from the Master of Science in Finance (MSF) program reported average base salary earnings of $78,343, a significant increase from last year’s figure of $71,530 and the highest average base salary in the program’s history. One hundred percent of graduates had also accepted offers within three months of graduation. Check out more highlight from this year’s employment report here.

Meeting the Classes

Earlier in the fall, we welcomed the Class of 2021 for the MBA and Executive MBA programs, as well the Class of 2020 for the Master of Accountancy, Master of Management in Health Care, Master of Marketing, and Master of Science in Finance.

MBA Case Competition Wins

This fall, three different teams of Owen MBAs took first place at various case competitions: CoreNet Global Academic Challenge 5.0, Burt’s Bees Marketing Case Competition, and the Deloitte Supply Chain Challenge. The Vanderbilt team also placed second at the National MBA Human Capital Case Competition, which is hosted annually at Owen.

Sue Oldham Appointed Associate Dean of MBA Operations

This spring, MBA’93 alum Sue Oldham was appointed Associate Dean of MBA Operations, a new role at the Owen Graduate School of Management. Oldham overseas departments across the MBA program: Admissions, Academic Programs and Student Life, Shared Services, Extracurricular Learning, and the Career Management Center (CMC). Read more.

Executive MBA Nonprofit Scholarship Awarded to Chief Development and Communications Officer of Hands On Nashville

Tara Tenorio was selected by the Vanderbilt Owen Graduate School of Management to receive the two-year scholarship, awarded each academic year and valued at over $100,000. As Chief Development and Communications Officer, Tenorio leads internal strategy and external relations for Hands On Nashville, a local nonprofit that builds capacity for individuals and agencies to meet needs through service. Read more.

Vanderbilt MBA Finance Concentration Receives STEM Certification

Effective Fall 2019, the Vanderbilt MBA finance concentration was designated as a STEM degree program. The STEM designation allows international students the eligibility to prolong their post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) in the US by 24 months. Read more.

The post Vanderbilt Business Top Stories of 2019 appeared first on Vanderbilt Business School.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM Owen Press Releases: 6 Smart Things to Do During the Summer After Your Freshman Year

Greg Harvey

After freshman year, you may be wondering what to do with your summer, since many students find it difficult to land an internship with only one year of college on their résumés. Even though an internship might not be an option, it’s still important to use the summer after your freshman year to gain professional experience.

“It’s okay to have a break, but you want to continue to add stories and experiences to your résumé so that it has a good flow to it,” said Greg Harvey, Director, Accelerator® Business Immersions at Vanderbilt. To help you plan out a productive summer, here are six smart things rising sophomores can do during their break:

Volunteering

Use this summer to make a difference by volunteering. Volunteering is not only beneficial to the community; it gives you a sense of purpose and helps you develop valuable skills like time management and communication. Find a local organization supporting a cause that you care about and contact them for volunteer opportunities. You can also create your own service project by identifying an issue in your community and working to solve it.

Summer School

If the credits are transferable, leverage the summertime to take a course or two online or at your local community college; this will fulfill core requirements and lessen your course load for the coming next semester. You don’t necessarily need to take a class for academic reasons, though: if you want to develop a particular skill or learn more about a subject, enroll in an interesting summer school or online class. You might learn how to code, build an app, or launch a business.

Summer Job

Getting a summer job exemplifies your independence and helps you gain work experience that can go on your résumé. Apply for jobs that align with your skill set; for example, if you like math, you can become a math tutor. You’ll gain experience doing something you enjoy while earning some money for during the school year. Looking forward, summer jobs are also a great example to bring up in interviews for internships or future jobs. “If you are a lifeguard, my advice would be that (it) is still a great story to have. You just need some stories to have an experience to elaborate on what you are thinking about to advance your career,” Harvey said.

Travel

Vanderbilt Accelerator students

Traveling broadens your mind by providing diverse and enriching experiences, whether it be understanding a different culture or creating a lifetime memory. Plan a road trip with your friends or go on a backpacking trip by yourself over the summer. If you don’t think you’ll be able to squeeze in a semester abroad during the school year, summer is also a great time to study abroad for either a few weeks or months. You’ll experience a new culture, learn a new language, and earn credits towards your diploma.

Personal Projects

Summer break is a great time to start a personal project or pursue any hobbies you don’t have time for during the school year. If you’re interested in writing, try starting a blog. If you enjoy taking photos, try freelancing as a photographer. If you choose wisely, these projects can help you produce a portfolio to show to future employers. In addition, you may also discover new interests that will help you figure out which post-grad careers might be right for you.

Summer Immersion

If you’d like to gain professional experience and learn industry skills, a summer immersion is an excellent choice. Summer immersions are offered by a handful of schools around the country, and each is set up a bit differently. At the Vanderbilt AcceleratorⓇ Summer Business Immersion, students consult in teams for four different companies over the course of a month. In addition to developing critical thinking, public speaking, and collaboration skills, participants network with peers from diverse backgrounds and chat with renowned professors from the Vanderbilt Business School. “(It) is unique in that there is classroom learning, but students are also working on real world problems that companies are currently facing (and) want a fresh perspective (on),” Harvey said.

The post 6 Smart Things to Do During the Summer After Your Freshman Year appeared first on Vanderbilt Business School.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM Owen Press Releases: Paying it Forward: MS Finance Students Invest in the Next Generation of Entrepreneurs

Zachary Hensley

Junior Achievement is a non-profit organization that prepares young people to enter the workforce and teaches them entrepreneurship and finance literacy skills. Volunteers from the local community, including several Vanderbilt Master of Science in Finance (MSF) students, leverage their business experience to empower students to turn their business ideas into reality. “It has been a great opportunity to give back to the community using some of the knowledge we have all gained here at Owen and the MSF program,” said Zachary Hensley (MSF’20).

Michael Graehler (MSF’20) had a similar experience during high school, which is part of what inspired him to volunteer for Junior Achievement. “I was the accountant for our in-school boutique apparel shop and learned a great deal from it. I used what I learned to start a pressure washing company during college to help pay for tuition and later found a non-profit organization benefitting kids in rural Nepal,” he said. “I enjoy volunteering with Junior Achievement because there is no better way to learn about business than running a real business with money… high schoolers are able to generate ideas for a business, select an idea, and start a company.”

The MSF students visit Hillsboro High School every other Friday to coach students through their projects. “Essentially, we act as consultants to give students the direction they need in developing viable ideas, business processes, and fully functional operations models,” Hensley explained.

Aleena Rahman

The Hillsboro High students harnessed their youthful creativity to explore a broad range of business ideas, from selling coffee to parents to conducting in-school movie screenings. After performing due diligence under the guidance of the volunteers, they decided to establish a business selling school spirit gear to students and began turning their idea into a tangible venture.

“When we got there in the first meeting, we felt like we were trying to keep the students grounded (so they didn’t) go flying off with crazy ideas,” recalled Aleena Rahman (MSF’20). “But today, they… had a more conservative approach now that they are thinking about logistics and contacting suppliers and money. They also started realizing that for the supply chain, they need to figure out contacting manufacturers who they can start sending orders to. For financing, they made their estimates on what their costs would be and then how they can go about raising funds. It was so cool to see that they had already developed structure.”

Michael Graehler

Ultimately, the goal of the Junior Achievement program is for the high school students to have a small business up and running by the end of the school year — a remarkable feat for any entrepreneur, much less busy high schoolers juggling school, extracurricular activities, and college applications. “I’ve had a blast being a part of Junior Achievement and look forward to seeing how far the students can take this business in the spring,” Graehler said.

While the entrepreneurial path is strewn with challenges, Rahman also looks forward to watching her students push through the obstacles and gain valuable insights from the experience.  “I try to tell them, ‘hey, don’t get bogged down because you’ll probably fail in lots of places, but take those lessons with you to the next business you’re going to be working on,’” Rahman said. “I’m still in awe that these are high school students who are going to have a legal running business at the end of the year. It’s pretty stellar when you think about it.”

The post Paying it Forward: MS Finance Students Invest in the Next Generation of Entrepreneurs appeared first on Vanderbilt Business School.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM Owen Press Releases: Business School for Two: The Vanderbilt Partner Experience
Choosing a business school is a major life decision for any student; for those with significant others, going to b-school also involves their partner’s personal and professional ambitions. At Vanderbilt Business, the Owen Partners Association (OPA) seeks to ensure a positive business school experience for both students and their families. OPA integrates partners into the Vanderbilt community and provides a supportive group of peers with whom to create lifelong memories during their time in Nashville.

Choosing Community

2019-2020 OPA Board

For Becca Orbeck and her husband Zach Orbeck (MBA’20), OPA’s strong community played a significant role in their decision to move from Minneapolis to Nashville for Zach’s MBA.  “We came down to Vanderbilt for one of the Discover Weekends,” Becca Orbeck explained. “I sat in on one of the OPA sessions and immediately felt like it was a great community to be a part of and felt like we would really fit in well here, that there were other couples going through the same thing. Vanderbilt was definitely my number one choice for him because of (OPA).”

From day one, Orbeck plugged into the OPA community, meeting strangers who quickly turned into close friends. Now, as her husband completes his second year of business school, Orbeck pays it forward as OPA co-president, organizing exciting outings and supporting a community of about 100 students and partners.

“It’s a diverse community. Some people have kids, some people are newly married, some people are dating,” she said. “We have pretty much every age group at Owen, and so I feel like you can find people that are similar to you and then also learn a lot about people who are different than you. I have friends now who are from every part of the U.S., friends in every different field job-wise. It’s neat because it’s this whole community you can be learning from.”

Work and Play

Labor Day Hike

Partners often play an important role in financially supporting their partners and families during business school. For couples moving to Nashville from other cities, finding a job can seem like an intimidating task, but OPA leverages its expansive professional network to ease the job search process.

“We have touch points at Discover Weekend and Welcome Weekend where OPA presents, and we really try to help make connections,” Orbeck explained. “(If) you are a teacher, we have other teachers in our group here we can connect you with, and we get a variety of emails for the summer as people are moving here and asking for connections.”

Once partners have successfully secured a job, their next most pressing concern often entails finding a community of friends. OPA provides a robust schedule of social events, including monthly happy hours, sports games, holiday dinners, volunteering events, and bucket-list Nashville excursions. Additionally, partners often participate in school-sponsored events, like the annual Capitalist Ball and the weekly Closing Bell socials.

“I joke that I feel like I’m doing an honorary MBA or the social side of an MBA because I’ve been so included in the Vanderbilt experience,” Orbeck said.

A Community for Life

Orbeck advises other couples considering business school to look beyond solely academics and consider the experience they want to have for the next two years. “Any top business school is going to give you an amazing education,” Orbeck said. “What else are you looking for? For us, we really just wanted these amazing two years of being in a fun city, being a part of a great community, (and) building an amazing network here for my husband.”

As her time in Nashville comes to a close, Orbeck looks forward to continuing the friendships she has formed during her time at Vanderbilt. “I think (coming to Vanderbilt) was the best decision we could have made,” she said. “There’s a lot of sacrifices involved in grad school, but none of us regret it for a second… The hard thing about building such an amazing community is to think about leaving it, but I’m excited because my husband’s going to work for American Airlines, so we’ll have free flights to visit all (our new friends) all over the U.S.”

The post Business School for Two: The Vanderbilt Partner Experience appeared first on Vanderbilt Business School.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM Owen Press Releases: Coast to Coast: Where the MBA Class of 2019 Is Working
Vanderbilt Business MBA graduates are working all over the country; to date, members of the Class of 2019 have accepted offers at 90 companies. We’ve mapped them all below in this interactive map.

Click on the cities below to explore where the Class of 2019 is now working, or scroll down to view an alphabetical list of all the companies.

MBA Class of 2019 Jobs

AbbottDigital ReasoningNetflix

Acadia HealthcareDistinct HealthcareNissan North America

AlixPartnersEastman Chemical CompanyPharmPro Inc.

AllianceBernsteinECG Management ConsultantsPitney Bowes

AllstateEmersonPricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC)

AmazonEYPsychiatric Medical Care

American AirlinesExperian HealthRBC Capital Markets

AmgenFINTOPShore Capital Partners

Amplify Snack BrandsFirst DataSteinwall, Inc

Asana PartnersFord Motor CompanyT-Mobile

AsurionFortress Investment GroupTerwilliger Pappas

AT&TFreeman WebbThe Boston Consulting Group (BCG)

Bank of America Merrill LynchGEODISTrinity Capital

Biocells Discoveries Internacional S.A.Goldman Sachs & CompanyTurner Family Office

BlackRockHarris Williams CompanyUber

Bliss Point MediaHewlett-Packard (HP)United Airlines

Bridge Connector, LLCHoulihan LokeyUnitedHealth Group

Bristol-Myers SquibbInfosys LtdUniversity of Wisconsin-Madison

Camfil USAKnowledge Capital GroupURGO Vietnam

CBREKPMG ConsultingVACO

CernerLyftVanderbilt University Medical Center

Children's Hospital Los AngelesMars PetcareVerizon Connect

CignaMastercardWalmart

CitiMcElroy Truck LinesWells Fargo Securities

Corrrelation OneMcKesson CorporationWest Monroe Partners

CTBC BankMcKinsey & CompanyWillis Towers Watson

Dalfen IndustrialMedtronicWorkday

DaVitaMicrosoftWorkday Inc.

DellMobile MentorZiegler

Deloitte ConsultingnaviHealthZS Associates

The post Coast to Coast: Where the MBA Class of 2019 Is Working appeared first on Vanderbilt Business School.

Attachments

VanderbiltPlacements.png
VanderbiltPlacements.png [ 280.78 KiB | Viewed 1490 times ]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM Owen Press Releases: MMHC Program Helps Student Leap from Healthcare Outreach to Executive

Bryn Evans

Bryn Evans entered the field of healthcare through a backdoor: outreach programs. Shortly after obtaining her undergraduate degree, she ended up at Vanderbilt’s School of Nursing, managing their house call program, and stayed with outreach for 15 years.

“I’m not a nurse. I don’t have a clinical background,” she said. “My job was managing the logistics of physician schedules and making the house call program work at the best possible efficiency.”

Evans did it well enough to earn multiple promotions and was soon managing the school’s Employer Health Care Clinic program. She transformed empty spaces into clinics, finding everything from plumbing to internet access to make the clinics fully usable and sustainable.

“My undergraduate degree was in sociology, and I really liked what I was doing,” Evans said. “We were making a difference for kids in public schools and employees who needed consistent checkups. But I was learning finance from the ground up and operational practices as I went.”

Evans established 10 different employer health clinics around Nashville — no mean feat for on-the-job learning — then decided it was time to take her skills and impact to the next level. She turned to Vanderbilt’s Master of Management in Health Care to help her make the leap.

“I was getting to the point where I needed a masters to advance,” she said. “Not just for the degree, but to make the clinic program larger and more efficient. For that, my interests started becoming more finance based.”

While Evans was pursuing her degree, Vanderbilt’s medical school took over running the nurse-practitioner-based clinics she had worked to build. Without a medical or business degree, her career trajectory might have stalled in the transition.

“That was a huge change in the organization,” she explained. “The MMHC didn’t end up taking me where I thought I was going, but it definitely allowed me to progress. I learned so much about management in general.”

Evans’s education went beyond simply learning a business skill set. The collegiality Evans developed with her diverse cohort broadened her view of the field and helped her better value her own abilities.

“I was surrounded by physicians, nurse leaders, administrators, and we were all in the same boat,” she said. “To get all those different perspectives in the same room and to understand that everyone has different strengths really boosted my confidence.”

After more than a decade spent refining her project logistics, Evans was able to expand her knowledge base in just months with the MMHC program. Since graduating in 2014, Evans has been promoted twice and is now the director of finance and operations at Vanderbilt’s School of Nursing. She ties her fast advancement directly to the program’s focus on finance.

“Pre-MMHC, I was given more and more projects that were financed based, and it was a struggle for me to read a balance statement,” Evans said. “As soon as school was over, I was thrown into it. I would not be able to do what I do today if I hadn’t gotten a full understanding of what I was doing financially.”

While she says the program is definitely not easy, she says it’s worth the initial sacrifice for a long-term gain. “It’s such a short program, it’s easy to commit to doing it and locking it down for a year,” she added.

The post MMHC Program Helps Student Leap from Healthcare Outreach to Executive appeared first on Vanderbilt Business School.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM Owen Press Releases: Vanderbilt Ventures Insights: Joe Maxwell (MBA’94) – FINTOP Capital
On the second episode of Vanderbilt Ventures Insights, Joe Maxwell (MBA’94) talks about Venture Capital Investing and his work at FINTOP Capital.

About Joe Maxwell

Joe Maxwell is the Managing Partner at FINTOP Capital. Joe was most recently the EVP and MD of IPreo Inc., where he led the Private Capital Markets, acquiring Clear Momentum Inc. in December 2015 and ILevel Inc. in August 2015. Prior to its 2014 acquisition by Ipreo, Joe was Chairman and CEO of Shareholder InSite. He was also the founder and CEO of CapControls, Inc., and founder, CEO and Chairman of Investment Scorecard, Inc. Investment Scorecard sold to Informa PLC in April 2007.

Joe is also an active Board Member of FINTOP portfolio companies: Kindful (’16 – Present), DealCloud (’16 – Present), Core – 10 (’16 – Present), Numerated (’17 – Present), Beanworks (’18 – Present), LegacyShield (’18 – Present), and FI.SPAN (’18 – Present).

Joe is a native of Huntington, WV and holds a BA from Denison University and an MBA from Vanderbilt University. He lives in Nashville, TN, with his wife of 24 years, Juliana, and the two have three sons; Wyatt (21), Rudy (18), and Hadley (15). Joe is an active member of YPO Gold and engaged in multiple charitable organizations.

The post Vanderbilt Ventures Insights: Joe Maxwell (MBA’94) – FINTOP Capital appeared first on Vanderbilt Business School.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM Owen Press Releases: Where Are They Now? Catching Up with the MAcc Class of 2014
The Master of Accountancy (MAcc) program helps students develop a solid foundation to start their public accounting career. After earning the degree and gaining a few years of experience in the workplace, most alumni either stay in public accounting and continue working their way up, or decide to pursue careers in a different business field. We spoke with three MAcc graduates from the Class of 2014 to see how their careers have progressed over the last five years.

Allison Kupferman, Private Equity Associate, Blackstone Group

Allison Kupferman

As an undergraduate at Vanderbilt, Allison Kupferman took some corporate finance classes, which led her to the realization that accounting would be a good career fit. Since Vanderbilt didn’t offer an official business minor at the time, she decided to expand her accounting knowledge after she graduated by enrolling in the Valuation track of the Vanderbilt MAcc program. “I only had a little bit of experience with valuation. It definitely seems more of a technical track (than assurance), which attracted me more,” she said.

During the program, Kupferman interned at PwC in the capital markets accounting advisory services group, which led to a full-time offer. “It was pretty seamless. I interviewed for my internship during the MAcc program and hit it off with the PwC folks, (and it led to an offer)” Kupferman said. “I actually ended up splitting my time between the capital markets accounting group and valuations, so I ended up getting the best of both worlds, doing accounting work and valuation work at the same time.”

However, after two and half years, Kupferman began to contemplate a change. While she enjoyed her time at PwC and the relationships she made, she was interested in getting into Private Equity. After interviewing, she accepted a valuations role at Blackstone, where she could value portfolio companies in the private equity business. “I work with very knowledgeable and talented people, and I’m surrounded by them every day, which definitely has helped me to grow as a professional,” she said.

Kupferman says that the skills she learned in the MAcc program help her career to this day. The MAcc program taught her how to network with professionals and provided the technical skills she learned give her confidence in her work. “It was a great step between undergrad and my first real job, because it helped me to learn how to network and practice (accounting) as a professional. I was definitely very prepared going into my jobs at PwC and my job at Blackstone,” Kupferman said.

Josh Drake, Deals Manager – Financial Due Diligence, PwC

Josh Drake

Josh Drake had been interested in business and math since undergrad, but as a college baseball player, his schedule didn’t allow him to intern at accounting firms. As he wrapped up college, he started looking at graduate school as an opportunity to pursue internships. “The (Vanderbilt) MAcc program intrigued me because of the internship opportunity,” he said.

He enrolled at Vanderbilt, and his internship at PwC during Mod III eventually led to a full-time job offer. Spending three years in audit as a Senior Associate in Nashville allowed Drake to leverage the baseline knowledge of accounting he earned during his MAcc degree. “I think Vanderbilt definitely provided a skill set to put (me) in a position to be successful,” he said.

Working at PwC only broadened and deepened Drake’s skill set, especially when it came to understanding financial statements and accounting at a deeper level. In 2017, he was promoted to a Deals Manager in Financial Due Diligence at PwC in Chicago. In his current role, Drake now consults for mergers and acquisitions, gaining exposure to higher-level clientele and seeing more of the finance operations instead of only focusing on the accounting side. “The foundational knowledge is very helpful, (but so is) getting a little deeper under the hood and understanding the business: how it works, what its main growth drivers are, where its main expenses are,” he said.

Looking back, Drake credits the Vanderbilt MAcc program for helping him land his current role. “It was a good launching pad,” he said. “(It provided) an opportunity to get my foot in the door at the Big 4… I think it’s hard to appreciate it when you’re (in the program), like the exposure that Vanderbilt gives students as far as recruiting. They give you every opportunity in the world to land these jobs with the firms.”

Abby Fivel, Senior Associate, PwC Sydney, Australia

Abby Fivel on top of the Sydney Harbor bridge

One of the key reasons Abby Fivel entered into the MAcc program was to fulfill aspirations for an international career. While most accounting professionals have to wait until they reach managerial positions to have opportunities overseas, Abby was able to make the leap just four years after obtaining her undergraduate degree.

She credits her ability to make the early leap to the career path laid out by the MAcc program and her transparency about her goals. “Most of the Big 4 accounting firms advertise global mobility in their recruiting,” Abby says. “The MAcc is a great entry point into those accounting firms, which are so competitive. My first job was with Deloitte, and I told my career coach from day one, and even during my internship, that global work was something I was interested in.”

Deloitte supported Abby’s interests, setting up interviews with their Sydney office while she was still a senior consultant. She got a job working in the Australian auditing office and spent two years working there. A few months ago, Abby took a position with PwC’s capital marketing and accounting advisory services office in Sydney. She says her network from the MAcc program helped her understand the demands of the new position and how it fit into her career goals.

“A few of my friends and colleagues had worked in CMAAS and at PwC in the United States, and I talked to them about their experiences,” Abby says. “I had been searching for the next step that aligned with the progression I wanted to take. I knew that the job would be different from country to country, but between my experiences in Australia and my friends with CMAAS, I felt confident it was right.”

Abby has been able to bring together her career interests in organizational development and analytical accounting with her personal passion for international perspectives by taking ownership of her career path and relying on her network. Her advice to prospective MAcc students? Be clear and honest about what you want with colleagues and managers alike.

“Speaking up about what I wanted in the firm has been vital, and I’ve really enjoyed and relied on my Vanderbilt network. We all know each other and try to understand each other’s experiences,” she said.

The post Where Are They Now? Catching Up with the MAcc Class of 2014 appeared first on Vanderbilt Business School.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM Owen Press Releases: How I Got the Job: Investment Analyst, Bank of America

Bayarmaa Enkhtur

Bayarmaa Enkhtur (MSF’20) was studying Economics at Colorado College when she realized that investment banking was the right career for her. However, since it was the end of her senior year, she knew that she needed a graduate degree and more experience to enter this field and get a job in banking.

“I needed to get another advanced degree at a target top school to not only brush up on my accounting and finance skills, but also to gain access to a more extensive alumni network. And the Vandy program was just perfect for that,” Enkhtur said.

Before entering the MSF program, Enkhtur worked as an investment banking intern at WestPark Capital, Inc. and honed her networking skills. Thanks to her hard work, she was offered a job in the Global Investment Banking Division at Bank of America Securities in New York City early in the recruiting season.

“I think the most important thing was starting (recruitment) early. I think the MSF program puts an emphasis on that,” she said. “They want you to be prepared before you set on set foot on campus. And I think that’s what separates (this) program from all the other programs and makes it really successful with employment.”

Click through Enkhtur’s timeline below to find out how she landed the offer.

The post How I Got the Job: Investment Analyst, Bank of America appeared first on Vanderbilt Business School.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM Owen Press Releases: Cosmopolitan Week: A Bridge Between International and Domestic Students

Eighteen countries will be represented during Cosmopolitan Week 2020.

As the world of business becomes increasingly global, understanding different cultures has become vital to success. That’s why Vanderbilt Business School students founded Cosmopolitan Week, a week of programming created to bring the domestic and international worlds together through events where international students introduce their countries and cultures to the student body.

Cosmopolitan Week was founded last year by Cally Biagini (MBA’19) and Aki Ota (MBA’19). The two students studied abroad in Vienna, and their time there led them to the idea of introducing diverse cultures and experiences to Vanderbilt Business students.

“You can get lost in a lot of schoolwork and everything… so this is one way of just… opening (students’) eyes to see how broad their program is and how diverse the students are,” said Ermias Berhe (MBA’20), one of the lead organizers of this year’s event. “Sharing both knowledge and experience and culture — that is the core meaning and a bigger umbrella (of Cosmopolitan Week).”

International Students’ Perspective

The international students who present throughout the week have the freedom to introduce their countries through photos, videos, music, and food. Last year, a student from India discussed common misconceptions about his country and addressed each one in a Mythbusters-like format. “It’s this chance for those students who are presenting to have a new way of getting to know people, because on a day-to-day basis in class, people aren’t always able to tell each other their life story,” said Keara Kelly (MBA’20), a lead organizer of this year’s programming.

“We consider ourselves a close-knit school community. And so to have this event where we physically have literal closeness (led to) a special feeling in the atmosphere.” -Keara Kelly (MBA’20)

Domestic Students’ Perspective

On the domestic students’ side, Cosmopolitan Week is a way to understand students and cultures from outside the United States. Since American students have the opportunity to experience different countries through the international students’ presentations, Cosmopolitan Week helps close the gap between the two student bodies. “For the students that are here, it is one way of knowing the international student body and understand(ing) what kind of experience they’re having right now,” Berhe said.

Faculty’s Perspective

Students are not the only Vanderbilt Business population who take part in Cosmopolitan Week — the faculty participates as well. Last year, Richard M. and Betty Ruth Miller Professor of Management Ranga Ramanujam kicked off the week by conducting a survey of domestic and international students about their experiences of diversity and inclusion, then presenting the results. Brownlee O. Currey Professor of Management Tim Vogus and Associate Professor of Operations Management Mumin Kurtulus shared their personal stories as part of a Humans of Owen event at the end of the week. This year, professors will once again take part in Cosmopolitan Week and host another Humans of Owen event to represent the diversity in the faculty.

Cosmopolitan Week 2020

Because last year’s programming had been so popular, several student leaders, including Berhe and Kelly, took the initiative to plan out a Cosmopolitan Week for this year. “I think it just felt like this really neat way for people to discover each other,” Kelly said. Cosmopolitan Week 2020 will be held on January 27-30. Eighteen countries will be represented, and 24 students will share their cultures with the Vanderbilt Business student body. Cosmopolitan Week is made possible through generous funding and support from groups including the Owen Student Programs Office, Dean’s Office, Diversity & Inclusion Advisory Board, Owen Student Government Association, the Asian Business Association, and the Global Business Association. See above for this year’s schedule.

The post Cosmopolitan Week: A Bridge Between International and Domestic Students appeared first on Vanderbilt Business School.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM Owen Press Releases: How I Got the Job: Program Manager II, Twitter

Shanah Gaskill began her career in tech, working in Uber’s marketing department. She worked her way up to Senior Marketing Manager, but along the way, she became more involved in human-centered projects. “Because of all that was going on with the culture (at Uber), I started to raise my hand for people-oriented projects. Through that I was gaining responsibility within the HR org, but I was still sitting in the marketing team,” she recalled.

This experience led her to contemplate a career in the field, and she decided that it was time to make the leap from marketing to HR. Since she had no formal HR experience, she began looking at MBA programs to help her bridge that divide. The Vanderbilt MBA was one of the few programs she found that offered a specific concentration in Human and Organizational Performance (HOP).

“Coming to get my MBA, specifically at a school that was focused on HR, would allow me to make that jump,” she said. “In the interview process, being able to speak to what I was learning in class was super cool. What we learned in the HOP classes are very applicable to the HR roles that we’re going into.”

Gaskill’s planning paid off: she was able to secure an HR internship at Twitter, allowing her to stay in the tech world but explore a new function. After a great summer experience, she received a full-time offer and will be returning as a Program Manager II on their Global Talent Management team.

“They just pour so much into their employees that everyone there is so proud to work there and everyone there is (dedicated to) the same mission,” she said. “I’m just really, really excited to work with and learn from my colleagues.”

Click through the timeline below to find out how Gaskill landed her offer.

The post How I Got the Job: Program Manager II, Twitter appeared first on Vanderbilt Business School.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  17   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts