Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:59 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1919 [0]
Given Kudos: 628
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Send PM
Re: First attempt got 600. Retake or quit? [#permalink]
slpx92 - I am sorry to hear your GMAT score wasn't something your expected.

No one but you should decide whether you want to take the test again. Please do not blindly rely on the opinions of others. We have a well-structured in-house guide that can help you make a decision. Therefore, please take a few moments to review the GMAT Club retake plan: Retaking GMAT Strategies!
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi slpx92,

I’m sorry to hear how things went with your GMAT. I’m happy to provide some more advice but would like to learn more about your situation with the GMAT. I have some questions.

1) How many practice GMAT tests did you take? Please list the dates on which you’ve taken any practice GMATs, the total scores, and the quant, verbal, and IR scores, as well as how you were feeling while taking the tests. Also, please tell me where these tests came from (ex: mba.com).

2) Please describe how you studied. For how many hours a day did you study and for how many months?

3) To what programs will you be applying? What are the deadlines for these programs?

4) By when would you LIKE to take the GMAT? By when MUST you take the GMAT?

5) For how many hours a day, on average, can you study between now and your next GMAT?

6) In your opinion, how prepared were you for the GMAT? It's important that you answer this question as objectively as possible.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1256 [0]
Given Kudos: 402
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Your Mgmat score is about 580, and perhaps 600 in the real test. Looks like it is reasonable.

People who are weak in Quant tend to benefit by taking GRE. But they have to be good in Verbal (Vocabulary).

So it is time for you to decide which way to go. Both GRE and GMAT are accepted by most top-tier b schools with no preference

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi slpx92,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't turn out better. GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your 2 CAT score results - along with your Official Score - show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 590 +/- a few points); the 'swings' in your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores are likely due to a mix of little mistakes and lucky/unlucky guesses (especially on DS and any time you "narrow the answers down to 2 choices" in the Verbal section). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes.

Since you're interested in some highly-competitive Schools, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

Before we discuss how you might best proceed with your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied in total? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used besides the course that you mentioned?
3) Did you take just those 2 practice CATs or were there any others?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37297 posts