Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [12]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [5]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [1]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
When performing thorough examinations of patients with histories of he [#permalink]
Kudos
When performing thorough examinations of patients with histories of heart disease, physicians sometimes check the flow of blood.

Meaning: When performing thorough examinations of patients with histories of heart disease, physicians sometimes measure blood flow.

The opening phrase is an adjectival phrase and it must modify a noun that is capable of performing thorough examinations. Based on this premise, we can eliminate D and E since neither blood flow nor the flow of blood is capable of performing thorough examinations of patients.

A, B, and C are quite dicey. But focusing on the meaning of the sentence, we can clearly see that we have no idea the specific patient whose blood flow is measured or checked by the physicians. Yes, we know patients with histories of heart disease, but there are many patients who fall into that category. So, we can't be definite about the patient. Hence, the use of the definite article is not appropriate for blood flow [of patients with histories of heart disease]. Maybe if the non-underlined were to precede patients with the definite article the, I would be confused about how to choose between A, B, and C. Based on this understanding, we can eliminate A and C for the wrongful use of the definite article to modify flow of blood and blood flow respectively in patients with histories of heart disease.

We are left with B as the best answer. This is why I chose B ahead of A and C. I'm looking forward to the OE from Sir generis

A) When performing thorough examinations of patients with histories of heart disease, physicians sometimes check the flow of blood

B) When performing thorough examinations of patients with histories of heart disease, physicians sometimes measure blood flow

C) When performing thorough examinations of patients with histories of heart disease, physicians will sometimes check the blood flow

D) When performing thorough examinations of patients with histories of heart disease, the flow of blood is sometimes measured by physicians

E) When performing thorough examinations of patients with histories of heart disease, blood flow is measured and checked by physicians
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [2]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Re: When performing thorough examinations of patients with histories of he [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Quote:
When performing thorough examinations of patients with histories of heart disease, physicians sometimes check the flow of blood.

Quick read through shows that a tiny portion of the sentence is underlined and we have a pretty big modifier in the beginning of the sentence. The modifier has to logically connect to someone (doctors) who performs the action of measuring/checking. So, options (D) and (E) are out right away.

A) physicians sometimes check the flow of blood

B) physicians sometimes measure blood flow

C) physicians will sometimes check the blood flow
Why do we have Future tense here? We discuss a situation that generally occurs, so Present tense is preferred.

D) the flow of blood is sometimes measured by physicians
See explanation above.

E) blood flow is measured and checked by physicians
See explanation above.

Honestly, it is very hard to choose between (A) and (B). I do not recall seeing a similar GMAT question... Will be happy to be wrong!!! I was stuck, and decided to pick my favorite letter. Quick search in google shows that doctors measure/check "blood flow", so apparently this is a commonly accepted term in medicine. Look forward to OE.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
GPA: 3.9
WE:Education (Accounting)
Send PM
Re: When performing thorough examinations of patients with histories of he [#permalink]
Kudos

Physicians perform the task described by the clause introduced in the beginning, so we need the subject after the comma. We usually say 'blood flow', not' flow of blood'. For C, there is no need for a simple future tense. If the original sentence was written as 'check the blood flow', I would've chosen A. But here IMHO B is the OA.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1344 [1]
Given Kudos: 607
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 201: Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

MEANING: When performing examinations of some patients, physicians [p] sometimes measure [p] blood flow.
NOTICE: Who is performing exams? Physicians; Do they measure or check the blood flow? They measure.

A) "check the flow of blood" less concise and unintended;
C) "check the blood flow" less concise;
D) "the flow of blood examines" nonsense;
E) "blood flow…examines" nonsense.

Ans (B)
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
The official explanation is here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Send PM
Hi generis, thanks for explaining how to approach the difference between (A) and (B). Sadly, I did not know that the word check has extra meanings... So, while I constantly try to improve the vocabulary, I hope such questions won't appear at the real test and there will be other things to look at and use for elimination. Thank you!
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
mykrasovski wrote:
Hi generis, thanks for explaining how to approach the difference between (A) and (B). Sadly, I did not know that the word check has extra meanings... So, while I constantly try to improve the vocabulary, I hope such questions won't appear at the real test and there will be other things to look at and use for elimination. Thank you!

mykrasovski , if your point is that this question is not official and not as good as an official question would be, I agree with you.
I think you know that finding good questions for this project is really hard.

My invitation to all aspirants to bring a question to SC Butler and to be a guest poster still stands. Posted here.

Non-official questions will never be as good for practice as official questions are.

No, I do not think that GMAC will put you in exactly this kind of position.
I do know that GMAC will put you in a position in which you will need every bit of intuition and analytical skill that you possess.
I have every confidence in you: I'm sure that you will either find some "wiggle room" or guess and move on.
(Can you imagine being a baseball player? An incredible batting average—as in, hit the ball with the stick—is just above 30%. A success rate of 40% is almost unheard of. :lol: )

I amended the OE slightly and explained a different way to choose between A and B.
You don't need to know the secondary definition of "check."

Ultimately, blood is a fluid. Fluids such as blood flow at a rate.
Rates are numeric. We measure a rate.

Suppose that we want to find the speed of a boat that travels upstream against current and downstream with current.
Would we ask, "Professor, how do we check the speed of the boat?"
Ouch. No, we would ask, "Professor, how do we measure the speed of the boat?"

Yes, we can "check" a rate. The construction is not wrong. It is not as formal as "measure," but the construction is not wrong.
"Not wrong" does not equal "better."
check a rate is not as precise as measure a rate.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Send PM
Hi generis, thank you for your patience and additional explanation.

I completely agree that it is very hard to find / build good non-official GMAT questions. And this is why, I presume and hope, many people highly appreciate your SC Butler initiative. I hope that after I am done with the test I will be able to contribute to the community more than I do now. Let's see.

Most definitely one needs to be as creative as possible (and quick) while solving questions during the test. So, what we learn here will serve us well once we face the real beast.

Thanks again and have a wonderful day!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
I don't believe finnicky choices about diction are tested on GMAT are they? A and B are both grammatically (and medically) correct.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts