Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [3]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 599
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [6]

Send PM
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e., they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.

(A) they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting Correct answer. Parallelism is maintained between "saying" and "supporting". No other apparent errors.

(B) they denounce big government- they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful-but supporting at the same time Because "say" is put into a non-essential modifier, "denounce" and "support" must be parallel - not the case here. Eliminate

(C) they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time "they denounce", "say" and "they support" are not parallel. Also, "at the same time" needs to come before "support", else it implies that they support two things at the same time. Eliminate.

(D) while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting "while" at the beginning after the semi colon here makes what follows a dependent clause. Eliminate.

(E) while they are denouncing big government- they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful-supporting at the same time Same error as in (C). Eliminate.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 164
Send PM
Re: A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a [#permalink]
Dear community,

I always try to look for splits in SC because without splits I often need to much time. COULD SOMEONE PLEASE CONFIRM THAT MY APPROACH IS CORRECT; it seems to differ from most other answer. (Most people seem to focus on the issue of parallelism.) Thank you!!!

Pauline wrote:
A recent poll indicates that many people in the United States hold a combination of conservative and liberal political views; i.e., they denounce big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.

In this case I saw the split "say" vs ",saying". To me saying seems a lot better because the structure "clause + comma + verb-ing" implies that the verb-ing modifier is either a) presenting additional information about the preceding clause or b) presents the results of the preceding clause.
In this question the verb-ing modifier seems to be giving further information about how the many people denounce the big government: They denounce the goverment by saying it is doing to much. (If the sentence uses say instead of saying, then it seems as if the action of saying that the government is doing to much is sepperate from the denouncing of the government, eventhough their is a link between the two actions.) This eliminates B,C & E.

Lets compare A & D.
Quote:
(A) they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting

Quote:
(D) while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting

We can observe that D is missing an independent clause and is therefore wrong. D begins with a dependent clause (it is dependent because the clause is preceded by "while") and is then followed by two modifiers which are also not independent clauses. Option A corrects this because the first clause is independent, as the answer chouice has does not have "while" infront of it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 413
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
GMATNinja I can see that saying and supporting here are acting as modifier and I clearly see that 'saying' as a modifiers goes completely with the verb denounce but how is 'supporting' going with the verb denounce.

Can u please help with this one.

Gagan
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gagan0303 wrote:
GMATNinja I can see that saying and supporting here are acting as modifier and I clearly see that 'saying' as a modifiers goes completely with the verb denounce but how is 'supporting' going with the verb denounce.

Can u please help with this one.

Gagan

Consider this example:

"Tim eats dinner while swerving through rush hour traffic in his car."

In this sentence, "swerving" is something that Tim does WHILE he eats.

Similarly, "supporting" is something that the people do WHILE they denounce big government -- so it certainly "goes" with the verb ("denounce").

On the other hand, "saying" doesn't have a conjunction (like "while"). It's just a regular old -ing modifier stuck in front of the "while" clause. Both "saying" and "supporting" tell us more about the verb ("denounce"), but in very different ways.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Pauline wrote:

(A) they denounce the big government, saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time supporting

(B) they denounce big government- they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful-but supporting at the same time

(C) they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time

(D) while they denounce big government, saying that government is doing too much and has become too powerful, at the same time supporting

(E) while they are denouncing big government- they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful-supporting at the same time

Hi IanStewart In this question, in the correct choice B, Denounce and supporting should be parallel because of a conjuction while. But it doesn't appear like that. What is reason for this?? DmitryFarber
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [2]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
pk6969 wrote:
Hi IanStewart In this question, in the correct choice B, Denounce and supporting should be parallel because of a conjuction while. But it doesn't appear like that. What is reason for this?? DmitryFarber

The correct answer is A, not B. The construction is just like this:

"People do one thing while doing another."

There's nothing wrong with saying that. You could also say:

"People do one thing while they do another."

but you need to restate the subject (the "they" is not optional here) if you phrase the sentence this way. So you can say "I talk while eating", or "I talk while I eat" and either construction is fine. This sentence says "People denounce big government while supporting government programs", which is fine.

On an unrelated topic: the way this sentence uses "i.e." seems bizarre to me. It's correct to use "i.e." if the only combination of liberal and conservative views found in the poll is the specific combination the second half of the sentence describes. I would have thought the second half of the sentence was just an example of one such combination, in which case "e.g." and not "i.e." would be correct.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
pk6969 wrote:

The correct answer is A, not B. The construction is just like this:

"People do one thing while doing another."

There's nothing wrong with saying that. You could also say:

"People do one thing while they do another."

but you need to restate the subject (the "they" is not optional here) if you phrase the sentence this way. So you can say "I talk while eating", or "I talk while I eat" and either construction is fine. This sentence says "People denounce big government while supporting government programs", which is fine.

On an unrelated topic: the way this sentence uses "i.e." seems bizarre to me. It's correct to use "i.e." if the only combination of liberal and conservative views found in the poll is the specific combination the second half of the sentence describes. I would have thought the second half of the sentence was just an example of one such combination, in which case "e.g." and not "i.e." would be correct.

So, to summarise, while is one such conjuction where parallelism can be ignored, its usage is that way. Because I have never seen such construction with FANBOYS (and but or etc.) Are there any more such conjunctions, because this came as a shock to me.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
pk6969 wrote:
So, to summarise, while is one such conjuction where parallelism can be ignored, its usage is that way. Because I have never seen such construction with FANBOYS (and but or etc.) Are there any more such conjunctions, because this came as a shock to me.

You're thinking of coordinating conjunctions (that's what the 'fanboys' are). "While" is a subordinating conjunction here (like "after" or "before" and many other words), and subordinating conjunctions don't join two independent clauses, so they don't follow the same rules.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
pk6969 wrote:

You're thinking of coordinating conjunctions (that's what the 'fanboys' are). "While" is a subordinating conjunction here (like "after" or "before" and many other words), and subordinating conjunctions don't join two independent clauses, so they don't follow the same rules.

Can you tell me more about subordinating conjunctions? like how to identify them, their examples, their function etc, or maybe share an article where such info is there?? Sorry for bugging you with my questions.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64905 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
pk6969 wrote:
IanStewart wrote:
pk6969 wrote:

Can you tell me more about subordinating conjunctions? like how to identify them, their examples, their function etc, or maybe share an article where such info is there?? Sorry for bugging you with my questions.

Check this post on Conjunctions:
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2014/0 ... -the-gmat/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
in correct option A, while & at the same time are not redundant?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
mittalnitin wrote:
in correct option A, while & at the same time are not redundant?

Hi mittalnitin,

You're right. We don't necessarily need to include at the same time with while. However, redundancy isn't an absolute error. It's a little bit like the passive voice: generally not preferred, but in some situations, actually quite useful.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Hi there,

In option A, we have a non essesntial modifier:

''saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful''

This is ing verbal+ a clause construction. Is this a valid construction. Is this an absolute modifier too

Quite confused here on correct usage of such an expression. Please guide
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Anshul1223333 wrote:
Hi there,

In option A, we have a non essesntial modifier:

''saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful''

This is ing verbal+ a clause construction. Is this a valid construction. Is this an absolute modifier too

Quite confused here on correct usage of such an expression. Please guide

Hello @Anshul122333,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, "saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful" is a present participle phrase, wherein the clause "government is doing too much and has become too powerful" acts on the clause "they denounce the big government" and refers to what is being said by "they".

The use of the "comma + present participle ("verb+ing")" construction conveys that many people in the United States denounce the big government, in that they say the government is doing too much and has become too powerful.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
Pauline wrote:

(B) they denounce big government- they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful-but supporting at the same time

(C) they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time

(E) while they are denouncing big government- they say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful-supporting at the same time

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of the crucial part of this sentence is that many people in the United States denounce the big government, in that they say the government is doing too much and has become too powerful, while at the same time they support many specific government programs for health care, education, and the environment.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Modifiers + Grammatical Construction + Tenses + Parallelism

• Semicolons and the “comma + conjunction” construction are used to link two independent clauses; commas are used to link an independent clause with a dependent one; comma cannot be used to join two independent clauses.
• Dashes are used in place of colons: to introduce a list, a definition/explanation, or an answer/solution.
• Any elements linked by a conjunction ("but" in this sentence) must be parallel.
• All elements in a list must be parallel.
• Habitual actions are best conveyed through the simple present tense.
• The simple present continuous tense is used to refer to actions that are currently ongoing and continuous in nature.

A: Correct This answer choice correctly acts upon the independent subject pronoun "they" with the active verb "denounce" to form a complete thought, leading to a complete thought. Further, Option A uses the phrase "saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful"; the construction of this phrase conveys that intended meaning - that many people in the United States denounce the big government, in that they say the government is doing too much and has become too powerful. Moreover, Option A currently uses the simple present tense verb "denounce" to refer to habitual action. Further, Option A correctly uses commas to link the independent clause "they denounce the big government" to the dependent clauses "saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful" and "while at the same time supporting...the environment. Additionally, Option A avoids the parallelism errors seen in Options B and C, as it lists no elements together and maintains parallelism between "saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful" and "supporting...the environment".

B: This answer choice incorrectly uses dashes to join the independent clause "they denounce big government" to the independent clause "they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful" and the dependent clause "but supporting at the same time...the environment"; remember, semicolons and the “comma + conjunction” construction are used to link two independent clauses; commas are used to link an independent clause with a dependent one; comma cannot be used to join two independent clauses, and dashes are used in place of colons: to introduce a list, a definition/explanation, or an answer/solution. Further, Option B fails to maintain parallelism between "denounce the big government" and "supporting at the same time...the environment"; remember, any elements linked by a conjunction ("but" in this sentence) must be parallel.

C: Trap. This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that many people in the United States denounce the big government, and as a separate action they say the government is doing too much and has become too powerful; the intended meaning is that many people in the United States denounce the big government, in that they say the government is doing too much and has become too powerful. Further, Option C fails to maintain parallelism among "they denounce big government", "say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful", and "they support...the environment"; remember, all elements in a list must be parallel.

D: This answer choice fails to form a complete sentence; "while they denounce big government", "saying that government...become too powerful", and "at the same time...the environment" are all dependent clauses, so there is no independent subject for these clauses to modify.

E: This answer choice incorrectly uses dashes to join the independent clause "they say that government is doing too much and has become too powerful" to the dependent clauses "while they are denouncing big government" and "supporting at the same time...the environment"; remember, semicolons and the “comma + conjunction” construction are used to link two independent clauses; commas are used to link an independent clause with a dependent one; comma cannot be used to join two independent clauses. Further, Option E incorrectly uses the simple present continuous tense verb "are denouncing" to refer to a habitual action; remember, habitual actions are best conveyed through the simple present tense, and the simple present continuous tense is used to refer to actions that are currently ongoing and continuous in nature.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

Additional Note: Please note that in Option A "saying government..." and "at the same time supporting..." are not joined by the conjunction "while"; rather both are subordinate actions to "denounce the big government"; "while" is actually used to convey a sense of concurrence between "denounce" and "supporting".

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

To understand the concept of "Simple Continuous Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

To understand the use of punctuations on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~10 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Logically the sentence calls for "supporting" and denounce to be parallel. Because people hold a combination of views, the structure "They denounce the big govt. , ....... while at the same time support many govt specific programs........" makes more sense.
Please clarify
Thanks in advance
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
in A]
saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful

I have never seen an independent clause assocaited with 'ing verbal' as done above

Please share more on such structural usage
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
himanshu0123 wrote:
in A]
saying government is doing too much and has become too powerful

I have never seen an independent clause assocaited with 'ing verbal' as done above

Please share more on such structural usage

Hello himanshu0123,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the "comma + present participle ("verb+ing")" construction can be used to modify an independent clause to describe an action that is subordinate to the main action of the clause; typically, this usage leads to a cause-effect relationship between the two.

To understand the concept of "Comma Plus Present Participle for Cause-Effect Relationship", you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts