Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [5]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [4]
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [2]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [1]
Given Kudos: 160
GPA: 3.9
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Re: The argument that the dominant form of economic policy today is not tr [#permalink]
Kudos
Quote:
The argument that the dominant form of economic policy today is not traditional capitalism, but rather it is a neo-capitalism that is modified and extended, is based on a number of facts: the existence of government-owned companies, the number of public-private partnerships in key industries, and the extent to which foreign direct investment is regulated by the government.

Hi,
IMO A. I took 4 minutes to solve it and still not sure whether it is correct. I'd still try to explain why I went with A.
Meaning: The argument about dominant form of economic policy is based on three factors:
1. the existence of government-owned companies,
2. the number of public-private partnerships in key industries, and
3. the extent to which foreign direct investment is regulated by the government.
Analysis:
The that modifier is followed by a clause, which is correct. Its uses an idiom not X, but rather Y. Here, rather is just intensifying the idiom.

Quote:
A) capitalism, but rather it is a neo-capitalism that is modified and extended, is based on a number of facts: the existence of government-owned companies
Keep it for now.

Quote:
B) capitalism, but is instead a neo-capitalism that is modified and extended, is based on a number of facts: government-owned companies exist
not X, but is Y. Incorrect usage. Second, the list of examples is not parallel anymore as well. The existence of X is better than government-owned companies exist Incorrect.

Quote:
C) capitalism, which has been modified and extended, is based on a number of facts: the existence of government-owned companies
Here, the meaning is changed and hence it loses the author's intention. Incorrect.

Quote:
D) capitalism but a modified and extended neo-capitalism, is based on a number of facts: the existence of government-owned companies
Honestly, I liked this choice. It was only the usage of a comma after neo-capitalism that put me off. This is where I spent most of my time. Incorrect.

Quote:
E) capitalism, but also a modified and extended neo-capitalism, is based on a number of facts: government-owned companies exist
same as D.Plus, the usage of but also is incorrect. Incorrect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [1]
Given Kudos: 112
Send PM
Re: The argument that the dominant form of economic policy today is not tr [#permalink]
Kudos
The argument that the dominant form of economic policy today is not traditional capitalism, but rather it is a neo-capitalism that is modified and extended, is based on a number of facts: the existence of government-owned companies, the number of public-private partnerships in key industries, and the extent to which foreign direct investment is regulated by the government.

A) capitalism, but rather it is a neo-capitalism that is modified and extended, is based on a number of facts: the existence of government-owned companies
parallelism : the marker here is not X but(rather) Y .X and Y are not parallel.One is a noun ans the other is a clause

B) capitalism, but is instead a neo-capitalism that is modified and extended, is based on a number of facts: government-owned companies exist
The issue of parallelism is prevalent here as well.The idiom is not X but Y or not X but rather Y.The construction is unidiomatic

C) capitalism, which has been modified and extended, is based on a number of facts: the existence of government-owned companies
This construction loses the essence of the construction.We are missing tye vital comparison of the two economic terms

D) capitalism but a modified and extended neo-capitalism, is based on a number of facts: the existence of government-owned companies
The idiom here is well put and tye construction is parallel

E) capitalism, but also a modified and extended neo-capitalism, is based on a number of facts: government-owned companies exist
The construction is not X but(rather) Y .Here,the idiom has been incorrevrly replaced with not X but also Y

Answer is D
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1344 [1]
Given Kudos: 607
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:

MEANING: The argument that policy today is NOT traditional capitalism [noun] BUT a modified neo-capitalism [noun], is based on a number of facts: the… the…and the.

NOTES: idioms could be not…but, or not…but rather; a list must have parallel elements "the…the and the".

A) "not cap… but rather IT IS neo" not parallel, improper;
B) "not cap… but IS" improper; "facts: government, the… and the" first element is missing article, not parallel;
C) "cap, which…" unintended;
E) "not cap… but also" unidiomatic; "facts: government" not parallel.

Ans (D)
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35486 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
The official explanation is here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GPA: 3.9
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
The argument that the dominant form of economic policy today is not tr [#permalink]
generis wrote:
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Project SC Butler: Day 202: Sentence Correction (SC2)

THE PROMPT
Quote:

THE OPTIONS
Quote:
• The transition but rather should not introduce a clause.
• Nonetheless, the words "it is" impermissibly start a new clause.
Eliminate A

Quote:

• The three facts must be parallel and are not parallel
THe three facts should be listed this way:
(1) the existence of government-owned companies,
(2) the number of public-private partnerships in key industries, and'
(3) the extent to which foreign existence of government
Not parallel: government-owned companies exist
Eliminate B

Quote:
C) capitalism , which has been modified and extended, is based on a number of facts: the existence of government owned companies

The which phrase set off by commas grammatically indicates non-essential information.
Since the information that follows the word which is logically necessary for this sentence to make sense.
ELIMINATE C
Quote:

• correct
• this idiomatic expression is not x, but rather y.
This idiom is an exception to the typical rules governing connecting clauses.

Quote:
E) capitalism, but a modified and extended neo-capitalism, is based on a number of facts: government-owned companies exist

• In option E, government-owned companies exist is not parallel to the existence of governmentowned companies
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.

[color=#00a651]COMMENTS[/color\

Wow.
Answers are very thoughtful. Kudos to all.

Hi generis ,
Thanks for the explanation.
As I mentioned in my posted answer, I did have a hard time crossing Option D out.

Is the usage of comma at the end of that clause correct? The argument that...... , is based...

The argument that the dominant form of economic policy today is not capitalism but a modified and extended neo-capitalism, is based on a number of facts: the existence of government-owned companies, the number of public-private partnerships in key industries, and the extent to which foreign direct investment is regulated by the government.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Hi generis ,

I did have a hard time crossing Option D out.

Is the usage of comma at the end of that clause correct? The argument that...... , is based...

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyTargetTestPrep , DmitryFarber , VeritasKarishma , generis , @jennpt , other experts - please enlighten
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
I have the same question-
In Option D, "comma" separates the subject and verb. This should not be acceptable.

zhanbo - Request you to please explain this, as you had very nicely explained the same already in another thread here.
Please help me understand what I am missing here. If I go by the rules you had explained, Option D here should not be correct.

Jks3000 wrote:
Hi generis ,

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyTargetTestPrep , DmitryFarber , VeritasKarishma , generis , @jennpt , other experts - please enlighten
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Pankaj0901 wrote:
In Option D, "comma" separates the subject and verb. This should not be acceptable.

zhanbo - Request you to please explain this, as you had very nicely explained the same already in another thread here.
Please help me understand what I am missing here. If I go by the rules you had explained, Option D here should not be correct.

Jks3000 wrote:
Hi generis ,

I do agree with you: there should not be a comma in D despite the fact that the subject is pretty long.

We hope that official GMAT questions will not violate this fundamental rule.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Hi Experts ,

There is some issue with Option D.., Lot of people in discussion are telling same thing, Please address them...

"I did have a hard time crossing Option D out.

Is the usage of comma at the end of that clause correct? The argument that...... , is based... "
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Jks3000 wrote:
Hi generis ,

No, that comma should either be paired with a previous comma or deleted. As written, (D) is not correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Got it, thank you! zhanbo :)

zhanbo wrote:
Pankaj0901 wrote:

Jks3000 wrote:
Hi generis ,

I do agree with you: there should not be a comma in D despite the fact that the subject is pretty long.

We hope that official GMAT questions will not violate this fundamental rule.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts