Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:10 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19725 [98]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4096 [19]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [17]
Given Kudos: 429
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: Simon
GMAT 1: 580 Q38 V32
GMAT 2: 590 Q49 V23
GMAT 3: 580 Q43 V27
GMAT 4: 630 Q45 V31 (Online)
GMAT 5: 670 Q47 V35 (Online)
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5205 [7]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Ben and Ann are among 7 contestants from which 4 semifinalists are to [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Let the remaining contestants be A,B,C,D, and E.

They are listed as follows
ABCD | ABCE | BCDE | ACDE | ABDE

Therefore, there are \(C_4^{5} = 5\)(Option A) possible combinations for the semifinalists.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Re: Ben and Ann are among 7 contestants from which 4 semifinalists are to [#permalink]
Bunuel, could you please explain? Thanks.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3964 [3]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: Ben and Ann are among 7 contestants from which 4 semifinalists are to [#permalink]
Kudos
gmatt1476 wrote:
Ben and Ann are among 7 contestants from which 4 semifinalists are to be selected. Of the different possible selections, how many contain neither Ben nor Ann?

A. 5
B. 6
C. 7
D. 14
E. 21

PS07602.01

Given:Ben and Ann are among 7 contestants from which 4 semifinalists are to be selected.

Asked: Of the different possible selections, how many contain neither Ben nor Ann?

There are 5 other participants out of which 4 are to be selected

Number of ways = 5C4 = 5

IMO A

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [9]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi All,

We're told that Ben and Ann are among 7 contestants from which 4 semifinalists are to be selected. We're asked of the different possible selections, how many contain NEITHER Ben nor Ann. Since we're selecting 'groups' of people, this is ultimately a Combination Formula question.

IF we had NO restrictions, then with 7 contestants, the number of 'groups of four' would be 7c4 = 7!/4!3! = (7)(6)(5)/(3)(2)(1) = 35 possible groups of four

However, we're interested in groups that contain NEITHER Ben nor Ann, which means that we have just 5 people to choose from. 5c4 = 5!/4!/1! = (5)/(1) = 5 groups of four.

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29905 [9]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
gmatt1476 wrote:
Ben and Ann are among 7 contestants from which 4 semifinalists are to be selected. Of the different possible selections, how many contain neither Ben nor Ann?

A. 5
B. 6
C. 7
D. 14
E. 21

PS07602.01

Let Ann, Bob, C, D, E, F, G be the 7 contestants.

To ensure that neither Ben nor Ann are among the four semifinalists, let's remove them from the list of contestants.

So, we can select the four semifinalists from {C, D, E, F, G}

Since the order in which we select the 4 semifinalists does not matter, we can use COMBINATIONS.
We can select 4 semifinalists from 5 contestants in 5C4 ways.
5C4 = 5

Answer: A

Cheers,
Brent
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22046 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatt1476 wrote:

A. 5
B. 6
C. 7
D. 14
E. 21

PS07602.01

If neither Ben nor Ann is among the semifinalists, then there are only 5 contestants vying for the four slots. Thus, the number of ways to select the semifinalists when neither Ben nor Ann is selected is 5C4 = 5.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Ben and Ann are among 7 contestants from which 4 semifinalists are to [#permalink]
It might be very silly but I have done it like 7C4- 2C2*5C2.
Total- ways of choosing Ben and Ann and * ways of choosing the remaining. What is the conceptual mistake I am making?
Bunuel chetan2u
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Anki3188,

Since the question is asking for the number of groups that do NOT include Ben AND do NOT include Ann, then your calculation would need to remove any group that includes Ben OR Ann OR both of them. Your calculation appears to only remove the groups that include both Ben and Ann.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
chetan2u Bunuel I know I am coming up with the wrong answer, but can you help me understand what is wrong with the below approach -
[Total number of ways to select 4 candidates out of 7] - [number of ways Ben and Ann can be selected in the semifinalists]

Total number of ways to select 4 candidates out of 7 = 7C4 = 35

number of ways Ben is selected in the semifinalists (except Ann) = B_ = 1x5 ways = 5
number of ways Ann is selected in the semifinalists (except Ben) = A_ = 1x 5 ways = 5
ben and ann together as semifinalists = 1 way
number of ways Ben and Ann can be selected in the semifinalists => 5+ 5 + 1 = 11 ways

=> 35 - 11 = 24 ways
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31889 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Argp wrote:
chetan2u Bunuel I know I am coming up with the wrong answer, but can you help me understand what is wrong with the below approach -
[Total number of ways to select 4 candidates out of 7] - [number of ways Ben and Ann can be selected in the semifinalists]

Total number of ways to select 4 candidates out of 7 = 7C4 = 35

number of ways Ben is selected in the semifinalists (except Ann) = B_ = 1x5 ways = 5
number of ways Ann is selected in the semifinalists (except Ben) = A_ = 1x 5 ways = 5
ben and ann together as semifinalists = 1 way
number of ways Ben and Ann can be selected in the semifinalists => 5+ 5 + 1 = 11 ways

=> 35 - 11 = 24 ways

You have gone wrong in your calculations

number of ways Ben is selected in the semifinalists (except Ann) = B_ = 1x5C3 ways = 10....You have to select 3 from remaining 5.
number of ways Ann is selected in the semifinalists (except Ben) = A_ = 1x 5 ways = 5...10 ways as above
ben and ann together as semifinalists = 1 way .......2C2*5C2=10
number of ways Ben and Ann can be selected in the semifinalists => 5+ 5 + 1 = 11 ways.......10+10+10=30 ways

Total = 35-30=5

Anki3188 , you have gone wrong in not taking cases where only one of them is selected. The answer would be correct if the question were to find ways in which both are not there.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools: IESE '25 (A)
GRE 1: Q165 V163
GPA: 2.24
Send PM
I am trying to do this using the counting method and would appreciate some help where I'm going wrong. I got the correct answer using formulas but cant seem to with the counting method.

So basically

Total ways of selecting 4 of 7 will give us all the ways - 7x6x5x4

And subtracting the following should give us the desired answer

1. Where Ben is a semifinalist but Ann is not - 1 x 5 x 4 x 3 ----- (a)
2. Where Ann is a semifinalist but Ben is not - 1 x 5 x 4 x 3 ----- (b)

T -(a+b) = 840 -(60+60) = 740 --- ???
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31889 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply
TalonShade wrote:
I am trying to do this using the counting method and would appreciate some help where I'm going wrong. I got the correct answer using formulas but cant seem to with the counting method.

So basically

Total ways of selecting 4 of 7 will give us all the ways - 7x6x5x4

And subtracting the following should give us the desired answer

1. Where Ben is a semifinalist but Ann is not - 1 x 5 x 4 x 3 ----- (a)
2. Where Ann is a semifinalist but Ben is not - 1 x 5 x 4 x 3 ----- (b)

T -(a+b) = 840 -(60+60) = 740 --- ???

It is selection and you are taking arrangements.

So T = 7C4 = 35

a) B is one, so choose remaining 3 from available 5( less A and B) = 5C3 = 10
b) A and n(B): Similarly 10 ways for A being a part and B not being a part.
c) both (A and B): Also add ways where both A and B are part, so choose 2 out of remaining 5 = 5C2 = 10
Our answer = 35-10-10-10 = 5
A

There are various combinations in which above 3 could be calculated.
It could be (T-(A as one)-(B there but not A))=35-6C3-5C3=35-20-10=5
OR T-(A)-(B)+both(A and B)=35-20-20+10=5
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 5900
Send PM
BrentGMATPrepNow wrote:
gmatt1476 wrote:

A. 5
B. 6
C. 7
D. 14
E. 21

PS07602.01

Let Ann, Bob, C, D, E, F, G be the 7 contestants.

To ensure that neither Ben nor Ann are among the four semifinalists, let's remove them from the list of contestants.

So, we can select the four semifinalists from {C, D, E, F, G}

Since the order in which we select the 4 semifinalists does not matter, we can use COMBINATIONS.
We can select 4 semifinalists from 5 contestants in 5C4 ways.
5C4 = 5

Cheers,
Brent

Hi BrentGMATPrepNow, not sure why if I calculate all contestants first then minus Ben and Ann is not correct?

7C4 = 35
5C4 = 5
35-5 = 30
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29905 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Kimberly77 wrote:

Hi BrentGMATPrepNow, not sure why if I calculate all contestants first then minus Ben and Ann is not correct?

7C4 = 35
5C4 = 5
35-5 = 30

If you want to go that route you need to follow the property that says:
Number of ways to follow the restriction = (number of ways to ignore the restriction) - (number of ways to break the restriction)

The restriction here is that neither Ben nor Ann can be in the group of 4 semi finalists.

So we get:
Number of outcomes in which neither Ben nor Ann are in the group of 4 semi finalists = (number of 4-person groups chosen from from all seven semi-finalists) - (number of ways to break the restriction)

Here, your calculation of 5C4 = 5 does not give us the total number of ways to BREAK the restriction.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
BrentGMATPrepNow wrote:
Kimberly77 wrote:

7C4 = 35
5C4 = 5
35-5 = 30

If you want to go that route you need to follow the property that says:
Number of ways to follow the restriction = (number of ways to ignore the restriction) - (number of ways to break the restriction)

The restriction here is that neither Ben nor Ann can be in the group of 4 semi finalists.

So we get:
Number of outcomes in which neither Ben nor Ann are in the group of 4 semi finalists = (number of 4-person groups chosen from from all seven semi-finalists) - (number of ways to break the restriction)

Here, your calculation of 5C4 = 5 does not give us the total number of ways to BREAK the restriction.

Thanks BrentGMATPrepNow, in 5C4 = 5 which I have already removed Ben and Ann from 7 therefore 5 contestants left, then select 4 out of 5 semi-finalists. So not sure why this still doesn't include the total number of ways to BREAK the restriction? Could we not remove both Ben and Ann at the same time since question asked neither Ben nor Ann are to be in semi-finalists?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29905 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Kimberly77 wrote:
Thanks BrentGMATPrepNow, in 5C4 = 5 which I have already removed Ben and Ann from 7 therefore 5 contestants left, then select 4 out of 5 semi-finalists. So not sure why this still doesn't include the total number of ways to BREAK the restriction? Could we not remove both Ben and Ann at the same time since question asked neither Ben nor Ann are to be in semi-finalists?

The restriction is that the 4-person selection CANNOT contain Ben or Ann.
Since 5C4 is the total number of 4-person selections that do NOT contain Ben or Ann, then you aren't breaking the restriction; you're obeying the restriction.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
BrentGMATPrepNow wrote:
Kimberly77 wrote:

The restriction is that the 4-person selection CANNOT contain Ben or Ann.
Since 5C4 is the total number of 4-person selections that do NOT contain Ben or Ann, then you aren't breaking the restriction; you're obeying the restriction.

Thanks BrentGMATPrepNow, think I get it now.
So we need to calculate 3 cases of no Ben 5C3, no Ann 5C3, no Ben & Ann 2C2 * 5C2. Total 35-30 = 5

Mistake I made here was I interpret neither Ben nor Ann as both not on there. Therefore only calculate it once. How will I know to interpret neither Ben nor Ann as either or? Thanks Brent
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
Math Expert
92902 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts