Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72879 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72879 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Kellogg vs LBS [#permalink]
Expert Reply
It is not that I don’t like LBS, as a funny coincidence, my cousin is heading to LBS this fall. That was his top choice and he is not planning on working in the US for a while upon graduation but heading to Asia or possibly sticking around Europe to surprise of his whole family. Anyway, I digress.

I don’t think LBS will be a wrong choice, it’s clearly a great school and has a strong name and brand, esp in London. It definitely makes it easier to travel around Europe and take day trips to Spain or Paris or Florence. Not being worried about recruiting, you can make any choice you want and still win at the end. The experience is a bit different though most sponsored people still end up recruiting to see if they can end up ahead rather than go back to their sponsor.

I’m speaking from a more pragmatic and boring standpoint. At the same time, this is probably your last chance to go out and have some fun before you get tied down with family, kids, soccer, House payment, car payment, basically life. I have not been able to get more than a few days off ever since I left the business school and some of the best trips I’ve ever taken, were while -being dirt poor in business school :) instead of staying in the US and recruiting during my second year, I thought it would be a great decision to head over to Hong Kong and do a semester abroad there. I had a fantastic time but in retrospect it was completely impractical and I totally failed to do my research. I failed to realize that job in Hong Kong would require decent language skills, work permit and so on. Things have obviously worked out but I don’t think that was a practical choice I made. I don’t regret it however :-)

It’s obviously your choice, and again neither one of them is the wrong one. I think Kellogg is still the practical choice and LBS is the fun one that is a much wider spectrum of experience but a lot more uncertainty about applicability of the experience.

PS. I believe the reason given by my professor about the challenges of culture shock for US ex-pats in the UK, was lack of preparation and expecting an easy transition. I think everyone expects an adjustment going to France or Spain but I think many of the ex-pats did not think twice before moving since the language is the same and a lot of the culture is quite similar as well but that’s only on the surface. I also think part of the study was flawed because likely ex-pats going to UK were people who did not want to move abroad anywhere and were convinced to take UK as the most similar country. But in general it all has to do with the expectations, research, and your willingness to embrace the culture and the way of life. Personally, After 4 months, I started To get tired of rice, pushing to get into the elevators and the subway and the whole Hong Kong thing. It also got cold and miserable in December. I was ready to come back to California :) I may be a softy and someone who definitely made some irrational decisions so you decide....

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 201
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Kellogg vs LBS [#permalink]
anneflys

First of all Congratulations on your admit to LBS and Kelloggs.

Since you already have strong base in US in terms of contacts and wish to live abroad, i will suggest LBS. I've lived in London for 3 years and found it to be one of the most welcoming cities.

I have lived in Russia, Qatar, Nigeria, India, Japan, Iraq and UK. I have friends from all around the globe and still in touch with most of them.Thanks to FB and of course stopovers during trips. :)

Londoners are from diverse cultures and very warm in nature. London's experience differs compared to other British cities, probably because of international group of people.
The only downside to London is the weather. It rains pretty much all year except for glorious sunny summers. London is a city for people who enjoy limitless options of things to do and places to go. You will be welcomed as an expatriate.

I am sure you will enjoy living in London.

Best wishes
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Send PM
swatjazz wrote:
anneflys

First of all Congratulations on your admit to LBS and Kelloggs.

Since you already have strong base in US in terms of contacts and wish to live abroad, i will suggest LBS. I've lived in London for 3 years and found it to be one of the most welcoming cities.

I have lived in Russia, Qatar, Nigeria, India, Japan, Iraq and UK. I have friends from all around the globe and still in touch with most of them.Thanks to FB and of course stopovers during trips. :)

Londoners are from diverse cultures and very warm in nature. London's experience differs compared to other British cities, probably because of international group of people.
The only downside to London is the weather. It rains pretty much all year except for glorious sunny summers. London is a city for people who enjoy limitless options of things to do and places to go. You will be welcomed as an expatriate.

I am sure you will enjoy living in London.

Best wishes

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts