Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:25 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Notre Dame ($) vs Broad ($$) vs Smeal ($$$)

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 512 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 512 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Notre Dame ($) vs Broad ($$) vs Smeal ($$$) [#permalink]
ssonesh wrote:
Hey sjas31,

Thanks for creating the poll and your suggestions. But after speaking to people from Mendoza, Broad and Smeal, I'm leaning more towards Broad or Smeal as job opportunities are better for SCM in these schools compared to Mendoza.

The problem is that Broad is supply chain heavy whereas recruiters come to Smeal for marketing and SC consultancy roles as well. So I'll have more options there. On the other hand, internship stats are better this year for Broad.

It is great that you have done further research. I am sure you will be able to choose now. Good luck for your new journey :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
I don't know much about those schools, but have you considered about operation consulting? This is different from strategy consulting and you may be able to utilize your experience. And yes, you don't need prior experience in consulting. Switching to consulting is a common career path for mba students.

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72861 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Notre Dame ($) vs Broad ($$) vs Smeal ($$$) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Congrats on your admits!!!

Sorry I missed this topic. Are you an international applicant? Does ND provide a STEM certification?

Any others have STEM?

Are you actually able to afford all of these? Are you able to finance/pay for any program of these?

Manager
Manager
Send PM
[quote="fromk"]I don't know much about those schools, but have you considered about operation consulting? This is different from strategy consulting and you may be able to utilize your experience. And yes, you don't need prior experience in consulting. Switching to consulting is a common career path for mba students.

[size=80][b][i]Posted from my mobile device[/i][/b][/size][/quote]

Yes, I'm interested in Operations consulting too but I'm not sure howany companies recruit internationals for that role. I'll have to research about it. Any suggestions on that front?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:
Congrats on your admits!!!

Sorry I missed this topic. Are you an international applicant? Does ND provide a STEM certification?

Any others have STEM?

Are you actually able to afford all of these? Are you able to finance/pay for any program of these?

Hey bb,

Thanks for replying.

Yes, international student. Only ND has a STEM designation.
I won't be able to afford ND, but can afford both Broad and Smeal. Smeal would be the best option financially with no tuition and additional stipend. However, my expenses at Broad would be $22k tuition both years combined plus the other expenses.

I want to take my decision based on the flexibility (other than core supply chain,) of job options that I'll have post-MBA while also taking into account the expenses. I am very inclined towards supply chain/operations consulting roles as well.

Broad has recently introduced business analytics as a concentration (non-STEM). So that's an added advantage considering job opportunities.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72861 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
If you cannot get stem, then your best second choice is to get a degree that would minimize your financial exposure if you have a hard time finding a job or immigration policies change. Either maximize the upside Or minimize the downside :-)

My choice would be Smeal unless you can learn of some strong reasons from current students from either of these programs to go the other way. Usually it’s hard to beat a free MBA.

Manager
Manager
Send PM
bb wrote:
If you cannot get stem, then your best second choice is to get a degree that would minimize your financial exposure if you have a hard time finding a job or immigration policies change. Either maximize the upside Or minimize the downside :-)

My choice would be Smeal unless you can learn of some strong reasons from current students from either of these programs to go the other way. Usually it’s hard to beat a free MBA.

Is STEM designation vital when it comes to recruiters considering internationals for jobs? I can consider ND if the STEM designation weighs more than the reduced tuition fees. From what I've heard, companies have a cap on the maximum number of internationals they can recruit. Considering that, the chances of a company hiring international would still be low even with a STEM designation.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72861 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
If a company does not hire international applicants, then they won't hire you even if you have a STEM designation. However, the program would trump up STEM to potential employers and that you do not require a work permit for 3 years or rather that you get one, which means you have more time to look for a job without having to leave the country, and that once you do find a job, you don't have to worry about winning/losing H1B lottery. Sometimes, it takes all the way to Jan to find a good position as an international applicant, and with a regular OPT, you just have about 5-6 months left at that point and just 1 shot at H1B.

While STEM, does not change your status with employers, you are more attractive and have a much longer shelf-life ;-) It is hard to put value on STEM in dollars. However, even if you can't find a perfect job right away, you can still work as a consultant with a vague job description doing pretty much anything... you get a lot more wiggle room and second chances with STEM OPT....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
ssonesh wrote:
fromk wrote:
I don't know much about those schools, but have you considered about operation consulting? This is different from strategy consulting and you may be able to utilize your experience. And yes, you don't need prior experience in consulting. Switching to consulting is a common career path for mba students.

Yes, I'm interested in Operations consulting too but I'm not sure howany companies recruit internationals for that role. I'll have to research about it. Any suggestions on that front?

If a company you're interested in is sponsoring visa, it should be fine. It will depend on whether your school is target school or not. If I were you, I will search for target companies and check how many alums are working at those firms.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
fromk wrote:
ssonesh wrote:
fromk wrote:

If a company you're interested in is sponsoring visa, it should be fine. It will depend on whether your school is target school or not. If I were you, I will search for target companies and check how many alums are working at those firms.

I agree. I've decided on giving up the STEM MBA at Notre Dame and deciding b/w Michigan State and Penn State. I think i'll have to start networking with alums from both these schools to know where and in which profile are they working at my target companies. A lot of my target companies used to recruit from these schools, but with the visa issues, things have slowed down and that's where I need to consider the risk factor as well. That's where Penn State takes the lead.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1132 posts