Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:46 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Which B-school to go for?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [1]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [3]
Given Kudos: 140
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [2]
Send PM
Re: Choosing among Kelley ($$$)/Tuck/Darden/Foster ($$) [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Good to see you teleste!

anansak123, Kelley is also a program that seems to prioritize marketing concentration. Marketing however, can be any industry. CPG, Tech, Consulting anything really. I would perhaps focus a bit more in the industry you are looking for a marketing role in and do as much homework and research as you can before bachool. Not just to make a choice and see where each school recruits and what companies hire on campus but also for your future recruiting strategy. What many people say they regret not doing before they start their NBA is doing all the research that then they are stuck doing during the recruiting and changing their course during that sensitive time...

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you, teleste for that very well-articulated response. I'm inching towards the more generous schools for the time being. Taking that hefty loan just doesn't seem to put me at ease.
teleste wrote:
anansak123 wrote:
looking to explore roles in product marketing - sector agnostic at the moment although tech would be my first preference.

Given that this is your goal, I would follow the money to Kelley/Foster/Goizueta. If you were absolutely certain that you wanted IB or MBB, maybe Tuck/Darden would have the upper hand, but given what you stated, I think the former three options make more sense.

My $0.02 for you, as a stranger on the internet, is that you shouldn't pay ~$150k more for *exactly* the same degree when you can achieve your goals tuition-free (or at a steep discount) at any one of three very well-regarded MBA programs.

The other point I'd call out is about location. Getting an MBA in Atlanta or Seattle would be a very different experience from pursuing a degree in Hanover or Charlottesville. Some people like the small college towns, but for those pursuing professional degrees, and especially international students who want to be in cosmopolitan areas close to lots of recruiting options, there is something to be said for being in a big city. Think about which would make you happier during those two years as well, big city amenities, or quieter living quarters with ACC football. :)

FWIW, I voted Kelley bc of the full-ride, but I would lean for any of UW/IU/Emory over Dartmouth/UVA for the reasons described in this post.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you, bb. This forum has played no small role in helping me reach these admits.

Precisely why I'd applied to Foster. However, their COA is turning out to be on the higher side compared to Kelley and Emory. Have written to them for a reconsideration.

bb wrote:
Congratulations Congratulations on your admits!

The better the school is ranked, the more on campus recruiting opportunities you have and a better shot at a job. It’s not a guarantee however. The lower the rank, the more off campus recruiting you will have to do.

The more bullish you are, the more rank matters but if you wanna play it safe in case Reza doesn’t work out and you have to go back to your home country, taking an offer with a full or almost full scholarship definitely reduces the stress. However it’s also potential he makes you complacent and more comfortable which results in two missing opportunities and not pursuing every single lead which one tends to do when they’re desperate.

I can see taking the foster offer and recruiting an Amazon for tech p.m. roles. They’re pretty competitive but if you network and work hard, you’ll have the advantage of being local in Seattle. If tech is not your cup of tea then I think it is Tuck vs Kelley.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
Send PM
Kudos
I am also in a similar situation, deciding between Darden and Tepper ( ~ 60% scholarship ).

I do understand bb and teleste point of view on achieveing the S.T. goals, but how do other factors like School's brand name, alumni network factor into one's decision.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [2]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
This is a great position to be in! I was in a similar situation two years back (full ride at Foster, 80% at McCombs and almost zero at Tuck and Ross).

My plan A was product management (slightly different from marketing but quite similar in recruiting strategy for tech) and plan B was consulting. I ended up picking Ross and have no regrets.

Others are right here - it all depends on your risk appetite.

If you are dead set on product marketing, Foster is probably a great pick with lower risk (almost full ride - and you should negotiate to actually get a 100% scholarship to be honest!). Microsoft and Amazon hires in large numbers from Foster and they will not slow down as far as I can see.

That said, getting into Tuck and Darden might be beneficial in the long term considering the network that you will build over time. What if you realize that product marketing is really not something that you want to do and want to explore consulting? Tuck and Darden are GREAT for consulting and you might miss out a bit if you choose to pick Foster/Kelley/Emory.

All that said, if I were you, I would probably ask Tuck and Darden for more money but go there regardless.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [1]
Given Kudos: 140
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Kudos
souvik101990 wrote:
and you should negotiate to actually get a 100% scholarship to be honest!

Definitely do this. Be smart about it, and be polite, but don't be afraid to aggressively negotiate. Considering you have a full-ride at a comparable if not better ranked program in Kelley, I would certainly try to use that as leverage to see if Foster will up their offer. Negotiating doesn't always work out, but I think MBA candidates owe it to themselves to at least ask/try.

And as souvik101990 said, see if Tuck or Darden are willing to work with you, too.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Wow, those are some great admits, Souvik. It must have been a tough choice making that decision right? I've written to them outlining my situation and requesting a higher aid.

As for Tuck, did writing to them help? Thank you so much btw, always helps reading fellow experiences.

souvik101990 wrote:
This is a great position to be in! I was in a similar situation two years back (full ride at Foster, 80% at McCombs and almost zero at Tuck and Ross).

My plan A was product management (slightly different from marketing but quite similar in recruiting strategy for tech) and plan B was consulting. I ended up picking Ross and have no regrets.

Others are right here - it all depends on your risk appetite.

If you are dead set on product marketing, Foster is probably a great pick with lower risk (almost full ride - and you should negotiate to actually get a 100% scholarship to be honest!). Microsoft and Amazon hires in large numbers from Foster and they will not slow down as far as I can see.

That said, getting into Tuck and Darden might be beneficial in the long term considering the network that you will build over time. What if you realize that product marketing is really not something that you want to do and want to explore consulting? Tuck and Darden are GREAT for consulting and you might miss out a bit if you choose to pick Foster/Kelley/Emory.

All that said, if I were you, I would probably ask Tuck and Darden for more money but go there regardless.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply
It did not help, unfortunately, but they were offering me the same somewhat-insignificant scholarship that Ross was :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [3]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Kudos
I would go to Kelley, it’s a solid program. I worked for an MBB consulting firm and we recruited at Kelley, I know IBs go there and it’s solid at tech.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Update:
My choices are now down to Tuck (40K), Kelley (full-ride), Darden (no scholarship yet but under negotiations).
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi! I am also in a similar situation. Have offers from Tuck, UCLA (no $) and Goizueta (70K) and waiting on Darden and Tepper (R3). I am looking for a strategy consulting position post-MBA. Can anyone help me with the decision? Also anansak123 can you help me with negotiating for a scholarship from Tuck. I have no idea how to do that. Who did you mail to and should I mention that I have other offers.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts