Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618885 [10]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [7]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
General Discussion
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1344 [0]
Given Kudos: 607
Send PM
Re: Unless the residents of Glen Hills band together, the proposal to rezo [#permalink]
Quote:
Unless the residents of Glen Hills band together, the proposal to rezone that city will be approved. If it is the city will be able to build the water and sewer systems that developers need in order to construct apartment houses there. These buildings would attract new residents. and the increased population would probably result in overcrowded schools and would certainly result in roads so congested that new roads would be built. Neither new roads nor additional schools could be built without substantial tax increases for the residents of Glen Hills, Ultimately this growth might even destroy the rural atmosphere that makes Glen Hills so attractive.

Which one of the following can be properly concluded from the passage?

(A) If the citizens of Glen Hills band together. developers will not build apartment houses
(B) If developers build apartment houses in Glen Hills, there will be substantial tax increases for the residents of Glen Hills
(C) If the rezoning proposal does not pass the rural atmosphere in Glen Hills will not be lost
(D) If developers do not build apartment houses in Glen Hills, the taxes of the residents of Glen Hills will not increase substantially
(E) If developers do not build apartment houses in Glen Hills. the schools of Glen Hills will not be overcrowded and roads will not be congested

Ans (B)

Originally posted by exc4libur on 13 Dec 2019, 06:06.
Last edited by exc4libur on 16 Dec 2019, 04:54, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4096 [2]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Unless the residents of Glen Hills band together, the proposal to rezo [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO B If developers build apartment houses in Glen Hills, there will be substantial tax increases for the residents of Glen Hills

Unless the residents of Glen Hills band together, the proposal to rezone that city will be approved. If it is the city will be able to build the water and sewer systems that developers need in order to construct apartment houses there. These buildings would attract new residents. and the increased population would probably result in overcrowded schools and would certainly result in roads so congested that new roads would be built. Neither new roads nor additional schools could be built without substantial tax increases for the residents of Glen Hills, Ultimately this growth might even destroy the rural atmosphere that makes Glen Hills so attractive.

Which one of the following can be properly concluded from the passage?

(A) If the citizens of Glen Hills band together. developers will not build apartment houses

(B) If developers build apartment houses in Glen Hills, there will be substantial tax increases for the residents of Glen Hills

(C) If the rezoning proposal does not pass the rural atmosphere in Glen Hills will not be lost

(D) If developers do not build apartment houses in Glen Hills, the taxes of the residents of Glen Hills will not increase substantially

(E) If developers do not build apartment houses in Glen Hills. the schools of Glen Hills will not be overcrowded and roads will not be congested
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 506 [1]
Given Kudos: 207
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V21
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
band-->rezone-->build the water and sewer systems-->construct apartment houses -->attract new residents-->increase population -->overcrowded schools-->road will be congested and new one builds -->substantial tax increases for the residents of Glen Hills

(A) If the citizens of Glen Hills band together. developers will not build apartment houses........INCORRECT....the converse is correct

(B) If developers build apartment houses in Glen Hills, there will be substantial tax increases for the residents of Glen Hills....CORRECT

(C) If the rezoning proposal does not pass the rural atmosphere in Glen Hills will not be lost.....NOT REALLY....e cannot say that

(D) If developers do not build apartment houses in Glen Hills, the taxes of the residents of Glen Hills will not increase substantially.....NOT REALLY....e cannot say that

(E) If developers do not build apartment houses in Glen Hills. the schools of Glen Hills will not be overcrowded and roads will not be congested.....NOT REALLY....e cannot say that

OA: B
CEO
CEO
Send PM
eakabuah wrote:
The right answer is option B.

This is a very good question to firm up one's understanding of conditional reasoning.

The following conditional diagram can be drawn from the information above.
No Rezoning----->Band Together
No Band Together-----> Rezoning

Rezoning---->Sewer System Built
Sewer System not Built ---->No Rezoning

Sewer System Built ----->New Apartments Built
New Apartments not built---->Sewer System not built

New Apartments built---->New Residents
No new Residents--->New Apartments not built

Increased Population---->Overcrowding in Sch and on Roads & New Sch and Roads
No overcrowding in Scho and on roads & New sch and roads---->No increased Pop.

New Rds and Sch----->substantial Tax increase
No substantial Tax---->no new Rds and Sch

New Devt---->Rural Atmosphere Destroyed
Rural Atmosphere not Destroyed--->New Devt

We can form the chain below from the above diagrams:
Not Band Together--->Rezoning--->Build Sewer System--->New Apartments Built--->New Residents--->Overcrowding in Sch, Rds hence new Sch and Rds--->Substantial Tax Increase

Now let's look at the answer choices.
A. Band Together--->New Apartments Not built. False-negative. Incorrect inference.
B. New Apartments Built--->Taxes Increase. A correct inference as can be seen from the chain.
C. No rezoning--->Rural Atmosphere Not destroyed. False-negative. Incorrect inference.
D. New Apartments not Built--->No tax increase. False-negative. Incorrect inference.
E. New Apartments not Built--->No overcrowding in sch and on rds. False-negative. Incorrect inference.

Hence the answer is B.

Hi eakabuah
I have gone through your explanation. I might be asking a silly question but by false-negative is it meant that only the immediate chain element is concluded or vice-a-versa.

Can you help.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
lnm87 wrote:
eakabuah wrote:

This is a very good question to firm up one's understanding of conditional reasoning.

Not Band Together--->Rezoning--->Build Sewer System--->New Apartments Built--->New Residents--->Overcrowding in Sch, Rds hence new Sch and Rds--->Substantial Tax Increase

A. Band Together--->New Apartments Not built. False-negative. Incorrect inference.
B. New Apartments Built--->Taxes Increase. A correct inference as can be seen from the chain.
C. No rezoning--->Rural Atmosphere Not destroyed. False-negative. Incorrect inference.
D. New Apartments not Built--->No tax increase. False-negative. Incorrect inference.
E. New Apartments not Built--->No overcrowding in sch and on rds. False-negative. Incorrect inference.

Hence the answer is B.

Hi eakabuah
I have gone through your explanation. I might be asking a silly question but by false-negative is it meant that only the immediate chain element is concluded or vice-a-versa.

Can you help.

Not a silly question at all lnm87
For any given conditional relationship, lets say B is the necessary condition and A is the sufficient condition.
so the diagram for the relationship between A and B is:
A---->B.
we can form three other logical relation from the above information. Two are wrong and the other is right. The right logical deduction from the diagram above is called contrapositive. It simply means, reverse the relationship and negate the conditions.
The contrapositive for A---->B is not B----->not A. A---->B means that if A occurs, then B must have occurred. So if B has not occurred, then we can say that A has not occurred either; this is the contrapositive.
False negative:
not A---->not B. This is not a valid logical deduction. The fact that when A occurs then B must have occurred does not mean that when A does not occur then B did not occur either.
False reversal:
B----->A. This is also not a valid logical deduction from A---->B. The fact that the occurrence of A means that B must have occurred does not mean that when B occurred then A must also have occurred.

Let me simplify the concept of the logic chain by using letters. If we have the following conditional statements,
A---->B
B---->C
C---->D
D---->E
E---->F
we can form the chain below from the conditional statement above.
A---->B----->C----->D----->E----->F
Along the chain, I can deduce that
A--->B, A---->C, A----->D, A---->E, and A----->F
B--->C, B---->D, B---->E, and B----->F
C--->D, C---->E, and C----->F.
D--->E and D---->F.
All of the above inferences are valid since they follow along the logic chain.
The moment you reverse order without negating the conditional terms, then you have a false reversals. For example E----->B, F---->A, D---->C are all false reversals of the valid conditional relationship established in the chain.
Likewise, falsely negation occurs when any of the following inferences are made from the chain: not A---->not B, not A--->not C, not A---->not D, etc.

When you now take these into consideration, you will realize that all the options for the question falsely negated the relationships in the logic chain except option B, which has a valid inference.

I hope I have somehow cleared your doubts to some extent. You can refer to powerscore CR bible for more detailed explanation on conditional reasoning.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
eakabuah wrote:
lnm87 wrote:
eakabuah wrote:

Hence the answer is B.

Hi eakabuah

Can you help.

Not a silly question at all lnm87
For any given conditional relationship, lets say B is the necessary condition and A is the sufficient condition.
so the diagram for the relationship between A and B is:
A---->B.
we can form three other logical relation from the above information. Two are wrong and the other is right. The right logical deduction from the diagram above is called contrapositive. It simply means, reverse the relationship and negate the conditions.
The contrapositive for A---->B is not B----->not A. A---->B means that if A occurs, then B must have occurred. So if B has not occurred, then we can say that A has not occurred either; this is the contrapositive.
False negative:
not A---->not B. This is not a valid logical deduction. The fact that when A occurs then B must have occurred does not mean that when A does not occur then B did not occur either.
False reversal:
B----->A. This is also not a valid logical deduction from A---->B. The fact that the occurrence of A means that B must have occurred does not mean that when B occurred then A must also have occurred.

Let me simplify the concept of the logic chain by using letters. If we have the following conditional statements,
A---->B
B---->C
C---->D
D---->E
E---->F
we can form the chain below from the conditional statement above.
A---->B----->C----->D----->E----->F
Along the chain, I can deduce that
A--->B, A---->C, A----->D, A---->E, and A----->F
B--->C, B---->D, B---->E, and B----->F
C--->D, C---->E, and C----->F.
D--->E and D---->F.
All of the above inferences are valid since they follow along the logic chain.
The moment you reverse order without negating the conditional terms, then you have a false reversals. For example E----->B, F---->A, D---->C are all false reversals of the valid conditional relationship established in the chain.
Likewise, falsely negation occurs when any of the following inferences are made from the chain: not A---->not B, not A--->not C, not A---->not D, etc.

When you now take these into consideration, you will realize that all the options for the question falsely negated the relationships in the logic chain except option B, which has a valid inference.

I hope I have somehow cleared your doubts to some extent. You can refer to powerscore CR bible for more detailed explanation on conditional reasoning.

Thanks for such a detailed explanation. I had a similar understanding after your earlier post but this one cleared everything.
Any such OG questions that you have come across ?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [0]
Send PM
lnm87
Unfortunately, I have not come across any OG question like this one.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
eakabuah wrote:
lnm87
Unfortunately, I have not come across any OG question like this one.

Exactly.
I even have not seen one. I will still scavenge.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts