Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GPA: 4
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3127 [1]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Re: Notre Dame vs Rochester vs William and Mary: Rank or OPT extension? [#permalink]
congrats for your admit.

Before going to far, may I know your GMAT score. Your goal with consulting finance demands high GMAT score.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72873 [1]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Notre Dame vs Rochester vs William and Mary: Rank or OPT extension? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mo2men wrote:
congrats for your admit.

Before going to far, may I know your GMAT score. Your goal with consulting finance demands high GMAT score.

This is no longer true. I’ve checked with a number of people recruiting for consulting roles and they weren’t even asked for a GMAT score in their application or interview

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72873 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
stonecold wrote:
Just FYI: You can convert your MBA into dual MBA+MS at Notre Dame to get STEM accreditation. Almost all international students end up doing that...

Does it have a cost? I know that a number of other MBA programs allow this but it often requires an extra year at school and $40,000 or $50,000.

I feel that the rank difference between these programs is insignificant. Simon is a very strong finance school. The only thing that somewhat concerns me about Simon is a very high percentage of international students in the past years. It results into a skewed class.

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
stonecold wrote:
Just FYI: You can convert your MBA into dual MBA+MS at Notre Dame to get STEM accreditation. Almost all international students end up doing that...

stonecold

Can you tell me more about this? I recently heard from a friend that an MBA degree does not qualify for STEM and something on those lines for getting OPT.

Do you have a link to a thread/article that I can refer to? I can obviously do my research but since you have mentioned here so thought to ask.

P.S: I am currently on H1B.

Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
pareshbitm wrote:
Mendoza without doubt

Thanks. Can you elaborate? Are employers fine with not having OPT extension? I do not want to undertake dual degree especially in Business Analytics. It is out of my interest and scope.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
stonecold wrote:

Does it have a cost? I know that a number of other MBA programs allow this but it often requires an extra year at school and $40,000 or $50,000.

I feel that the rank difference between these programs is insignificant. Simon is a very strong finance school. The only thing that somewhat concerns me about Simon is a very high percentage of international students in the past years. It results into a skewed class.

Thanks for the guidance. Does it impact employment prospects? How do Big4 firms look at them? Notre Dame and William & Mary have a large difference in ranking. I don’t want to pursue dual degree in Notre Dame just for the sake of OPT since the MS programs such as Business Analytics are out of my interest and it does involve paying for an year.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Mo2men wrote:
congrats for your admit.

It is 700.

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72873 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
You can find the companies recruiting on campus by speaking with the current students. Make sure to find out which of the big 4 recruit international applicants.

PS. For Simon a lot of the recruiting will be done by driving to New York. A lot of the grads will be looking at Finance and financial role placements so you should not have a hard time locating someone.

Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3127 [0]
Send PM
Notre Dame vs Rochester vs William and Mary: Rank or OPT extension? [#permalink]
bb wrote:
stonecold wrote:

It almost always has a cost associated with it. However, I don't think it is as high as $40,000.

For Questrom, it costs an additional 15k.
For Notre Dame MBA is 56k and MBA+MSBA is 59k (the difference is just 3k)

I say the cost is well worth it if that means 3 years of work authorization instead of one.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3127 [0]
Send PM
Notre Dame vs Rochester vs William and Mary: Rank or OPT extension? [#permalink]
TheNightKing wrote:
stonecold wrote:

stonecold

Can you tell me more about this? I recently heard from a friend that an MBA degree does not qualify for STEM and something on those lines for getting OPT.

Do you have a link to a thread/article that I can refer to? I can obviously do my research but since you have mentioned here so thought to ask.

P.S: I am currently on H1B.

Thank you!

IT DOES!
Depends on the concentration and/or if you are getting a dual MBA+MS..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi all.. an update to this is that I am now considering University of Maryland (Smith) instead of Rochester (Simon). Any suggestions between Notre Dame vs University of Maryland vs William & Mary?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
Send PM
niru862
niru862 wrote:
I am a CA and finance professional from India with over 5 years of consulting experience with BDO in tax and regulatory advisory services where I have provided advisory in relation to corporate restructuring exercises such as Merger and acquisitions. I have been offered admission from following MBA schools in US:

1) University of Notre Dame (Mendoza): US News rank 26 and has 1 yr OPT
2) University of Rochester (Simon): US News rank 40 and has STEM Designated extension of OPT for additional 2 years
3) College of William and Mary (Raymond Mason) - US News rank 54 and has STEM Designated extension of OPT for additional 2 years with Business Analytics concentration

Post MBA, I intend to join finance consulting practice of Big 4s or other mid size firms such as Gartner. My second preference would be to work in corporate finance profile. I am seeking guidance on which decision should I accept in this case. ROI, curriculum and learning experience is almost at par for all the schools. My key points of consideration and queries are the following:

1) To what extent does the rank of school matter from employment perspective? Does a higher ranked school with a better brand value preferred by employers over lower ranked schools? E.g. In my case, will Mendoza's reputation be useful in getting desired job in corporate finance/ consulting ? or are the other two universities equally accepted?
2) What is weighed more by employers - a higher rank or 3 years OPT? Particularly in my case, would it be worth to forgo higher rank of Mendoza as against 3 year OPT offered by other schools? I do not mind returning to India, but I hope to join and work at a top consulting firm before I go back.
3) Which school would have a better brand value in India or are consulting firms indifferent about it?

My personal inclination would be towards College of William and Mary since I found their alumni and admissions staff to be warm and welcoming. However, Mendoza's rank and brand is something that I cannot disregard.

Have you decided yet ? I am in quite a similar situation. Got full tuition for William and Mary and full tuition and stipend in Fisher. $ difference is about $50k. My career goal is corporate finance. being an international student makes it a tough decision. Fisher is strong in finance, while William & Mary has its stem and executive partner as big advantages. ~ 20 rank difference is something , right ? Even in your case Notre Dame and William and Mary is 30 difference.
I am applying for Notre Dame in round 2, if I could get around 80% scholarship for MBA/MSBA, I will go for ND
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts