Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:05 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Re: INSEAD Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
I’d greatly appreciate if my profile could be evaluated. Feedback regarding my chances of getting admitted and tips for improving those odds are welcome. I will try to be brief in order not to take a lot of your time. Thanks in advance.

Personal Info: 25 years old Brazilian (from Salvador).

Education: Undergrad - Law School (not ranked);

UNDERGRADUATE GPA: 7,09/10 (Due to imaturity, since i got into university with 16 years old);
POSTGRADUATE GPA: 9,01/10 (Business Law post grad at the best law school of Brazil);
GMAT: 720 (Q50, V38, IR 7, AWA 5.5);
IELTS: 8.0;

Work Exp: 4 years of exp at matriculation:
2 years as an intern in M&A (boutique law firm);
3 years as an Associate Lawer - M&A (boutique law firm);

Extra Cs: Head of the pro bono practise of the law firm i work;
Member of the Brazilian Bar Business Law Commission;
2 months as an English teacher for AIESEC at Colombia;

Languages: Portuguese (fluent), English (fluent/advanced), Spanish ( intermediate) and French (level c1 - advanced)

Goals: To change my career and break into finance industry (PE or IB).

Best regards,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
GRE 1: Q169 V157
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: INSEAD Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hello Admins and Coaches,

Kindly review my profile for INSEAD Jan'21

Profile:
Male Indian/ 28YO
GMAT: 720
Education : Engineering Bachelors in India (GPA 4.1/5)/ Masters in Nanyang Technological Uni -Singapore (GPA 3.7/5)

Work Ex: 6 years till date
1. Product Manager for American MNC- Oil and Gas sector in India (2 years), worked with Middle east clients like Saudi Aramco.

2. Global Operation Senior Analyst for American semiconductor mfg firm based in singapore (4 years), I have international assignments in Taiwan and Japan for 6 months each. I lead global team with team members placed in Taiwan and Japan.

Post INSEAD MBA:
Mfg consulting or Supply chain consulting in MBB

What are my chances?
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Expert Reply
NGMATK wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am a 26-year-old Lebanese male working for a family business operating in the Energy and Power Industry. I act as the Sales & Business Development Manager and have around 5 years of professional experience. I gained significant experience in project management and had many success stories in developing and growing the business to twice what it was 5 years ago (revenue and staff-wise). To briefly illustrate, I attracted new clients, developed and handled all relationships with international suppliers, managed the company’s daily activities in sales, procurement and logistics, and secured contracts (nationally and regionally) for prestigious projects in both the public and private sector.

In addition, I helped in studying the feasibility of investing in an assembly/manufacturing workshop and in founding it. I also took the initiative to establish an internationally recognized quality management system for the business by working closely with a management consulting company on new policies and procedures.

Post-MBA Goal
Expand the family business (nationally and regionally) and establish a division or a separate company that focuses on the smart grid, the industrial digitalization and the renewable energy sector.

GMAT Score
670 (Q48, V34, IR 5) which I scored a couple of days ago. I was not satisfied with my score so I cancelled it. I'm planning to retake the GMAT in 2-3 weeks. My target score is 720+ to increase my chances at top MBA programs.

Education
- BE in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the American University of Beirut
- GPA: 3.64/4.00
- Graduated with distinction

Extracurricular Activities
- I played a lot basketball and almost went pro (not going pro was a personal choice). I played for the Youth National Team, University Varsity Team, High School Varsity Team and one of the country’s most prestigious basketball clubs and have been named MVP several times. I won national championships and captained most of the teams that I was part of.
- Private tutoring university students in engineering, sciences and business.
- Scout member and leader for several years
- Volunteered in two NGOs
- Member in several university clubs

Do you think I have a shot at INSEAD with my current score?

Thanks!

You have competitive grades and work experience. Your current GMAT is a little below average. While I think it would be better if you raise your score, I don't think that your current score automatically knocks you out of consideration given everything else you have going for you. My advice would be for you to retake and hopefully get a better score. If you get a 670 again with the same breakdown, I'd recommend against cancelling again and give it a try. Were you doing better on practice exams?

Linda
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '21 (S)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
Hi

Thanks for all the support being given on this thread. Really appreciate all the moderators who are taking the time to do this. Request an eval of my profile for Insead as well.

Nationality: Indian
Education: Undergraduate - Engineering
GMAT: 690 (Q47 V38)

Work-Experience:
2010-2019 - Entrepreneur (not family business)
Co-founded, scaled and sold my digital marketing company to US based private equity firm. The 9 years has been a massive roller coaster ride. The company was bootstrapped till sale. Company won awards for creative work as well as "Best Startup Workplaces". The time as an entrepreneur has been very enriching, and can share so many stories of massive cash crunches, to marque client's turnarounds, to hiring, to handling issues of sexual harassment at the workplace etc.

Prior to being an entrepreneur, was working in the Management Consulting domain.

Other Aspects of profile
I'm a Yoga Teacher, spent 1.5 years training as a yoga teacher. Applied Yoga not just in personal life, but the tools of Yoga Sutra in designing the award winning work culture.

Been a volunteer in one place or another all my adult life. From AIESEC & founding an entrepreneurship club in college, to being part of the National Social Media core team of a main stream political party. From organizing entrepreneurship events to an event where 5000 volunteers worked from midnight to sunset to build 18 toilets in government schools.

Post MBA - Goal
To go back to being an Entrepreneur. Possibly in the space of digital skilling in vernacular languages, an estimated $3-5 billion market. A lot of research done already.

Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Background and Nationality : Turkish, 25 years old
Under-graduate Information :Business Studies- Cardiff Metropolitan University ( High 2:2 from 58)
GMAT : 720
Work Experience & Leadership : 1 Year at the best local investment bank in Turkey as an ECM analyst, 1 year at the VC backed startup as a co-founder in San Francisco, 1 year at BNP Paribas Asset Management as an Investment Analyst
Extra-Curricular Activities : Played professional basketball untill University and played Lacrosse during university also played in Turkish national team
Post MBA Goals : I am currenty teaching myself quantitative trading and my post mba goal is to get in to a hedge fund or asset management company in London. Work there for several years and comeback to Turkey to start my own quant fund. I want to start my fund in Turkey beacuse I see that demand towards the quant funds has picked up here but there are not many people who is good at it.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi NGMATK

Good profile overall. The family business, the growth you have already achieved and further plans to grow it - all bode well for the MBA application. B-schools love achievers with big, realistic dreams. If you can convince them you have these big dreams and a serious intent to make them happen with help from INSEAD, that would work in your favour

I am concerned about the GMAT score as well, and would ask you to retake. Why leave any stone unturned to make your application strong on every front.

MBADecoder wrote:
Hi,

Silly question, but I am feeling a little confused. Are you working in your family's business and plan to return to it post MBA (feasible. Also, you will be one person less INSEAD's career services will have to think about for recruitment) or are you working in someone else's family business and plan to return to it (why would you?) ?

NGMATK wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am a 26-year-old Lebanese male working for a family business operating in the Energy and Power Industry. I act as the Sales & Business Development Manager and have around 5 years of professional experience. I gained significant experience in project management and had many success stories in developing and growing the business to twice what it was 5 years ago (revenue and staff-wise). To briefly illustrate, I attracted new clients, developed and handled all relationships with international suppliers, managed the company’s daily activities in sales, procurement and logistics, and secured contracts (nationally and regionally) for prestigious projects in both the public and private sector.

In addition, I helped in studying the feasibility of investing in an assembly/manufacturing workshop and in founding it. I also took the initiative to establish an internationally recognized quality management system for the business by working closely with a management consulting company on new policies and procedures.

Post-MBA Goal
Expand the family business (nationally and regionally) and establish a division or a separate company that focuses on the smart grid, the industrial digitalization and the renewable energy sector.

GMAT Score
670 (Q48, V34, IR 5) which I scored a couple of days ago. I was not satisfied with my score so I cancelled it. I'm planning to retake the GMAT in 2-3 weeks. My target score is 720+ to increase my chances at top MBA programs.

Education
- BE in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the American University of Beirut
- GPA: 3.64/4.00
- Graduated with distinction

Extracurricular Activities
- I played a lot basketball and almost went pro (not going pro was a personal choice). I played for the Youth National Team, University Varsity Team, High School Varsity Team and one of the country’s most prestigious basketball clubs and have been named MVP several times. I won national championships and captained most of the teams that I was part of.
- Private tutoring university students in engineering, sciences and business.
- Scout member and leader for several years
- Volunteered in two NGOs
- Member in several university clubs

Do you think I have a shot at INSEAD with my current score?

Thanks!
ARLee Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions and Career Coaching by INSEAD alum and former Samsung HR Head.
Affiliations: INSEAD MBA'11D (experience as admissions interviewer), SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [0]
Read our Verified Client Reviews on GMAT Club:
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi cozuysal,

thanks for sharing your profile.

You haven't included much detail, but I like what I see. You seem to have extensive international experience, which INSEAD loves, and your short-term goals involve working in London, therefore you'll have no issues meeting the International Motivation admissions criterion.

Your undergraduate grades could have been better, but your GMAT score is above INSEAD's average, therefore it shouldn't really be an issue.

I like your past as a professional sports player. This will help you set yourself apart and probably will help you justify your academic performance during college.

I would love to see your resume to have more detail about your 3 years of professional experience. Feel free to share it with me via PM or at alex@arleeconsulting.com.

Thank you very much.

Warm regards
Alex
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Hello,

I am trying to see if its worthwhile to attempt getting into insead.

My information is as follows.

Experience : 120 months. ( 24 months Telecommunication Job as an engineer, Rest in family owned, later owned only by me manufacturing business ( handling sales / manufacturing ).

GMAT 720 , v40, q49 , ir 4

Undergraduate : GPA 3 / 4 bachelors of technology ( Electronics & Communications )

School both 10th & 12th Grades 85% +

International exposure: Started exports of my manufactured product outside India. Also worked in USA for 3 months while working in telecom.

Retaking GMAT is a possibility, With chances of improvement in quant.

Well travelled, only extracurricular is photography and table tennis, interests nothing substantial..

Thanks
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
cozuysal wrote:
Background and Nationality : Turkish, 25 years old
Under-graduate Information :Business Studies- Cardiff Metropolitan University ( High 2:2 from 58)
GMAT : 720
Work Experience & Leadership : 1 Year at the best local investment bank in Turkey as an ECM analyst, 1 year at the VC backed startup as a co-founder in San Francisco, 1 year at BNP Paribas Asset Management as an Investment Analyst
Extra-Curricular Activities : Played professional basketball untill University and played Lacrosse during university also played in Turkish national team
Post MBA Goals : I am currenty teaching myself quantitative trading and my post mba goal is to get in to a hedge fund or asset management company in London. Work there for several years and comeback to Turkey to start my own quant fund. I want to start my fund in Turkey beacuse I see that demand towards the quant funds has picked up here but there are not many people who is good at it.

Congratulations on a solid GMAT score for INSEAD - you are already above their average. Your work experience, while impressive (co-founding a venture-venture backed start-up, Paribas) are also very impressive. However, you'll be a bit young for INSEAD if you are applying at 25. Most INSEAD students are around 29-31 when the start. You age bracket is more represented at the top American schools, similar caliber to INSEAD, such as the G7. The average GMAT scores for these schools are higher than INSEAD, and the bar will be higher for you as an international student (top US schools target about 40% for the international student population), so it would be great if you get your score up a bit if you apply to those.

Keep in mind that buy-side finance post-MBA is *INCREDIBLY* competitive. A large number of people who want HF, VC, PE at Harvard and Wharton don't actually get it (many do, but a large number settle on Asset Management, Investment Management, Investment Banking as a way to get some credible experience to ultimately break in where they really want). Those who are successful with HF recruiting often have experience working at a HF or working with HF clients. If you have that experience, you should definitely say so in your application essays, because AdComs also know how competitive HF are and they primarily want candidates who are employable in their chosen fields. They are trying to de-risk the chance of their graduates being unemployed several months out of school and therefore reflecting poorly on their employment and salary number (which of course also impacts ranking, about which they care tremendously).

Talking about school choice and strategic positioning (e.g., your near term and long term professional goals, how your prior work experience prepares you to achieve these goals, your personal values, and your extracurricular leadership) with an admissions consultant might be helpful to you. If you are interested in doing that, feel free to sign up for a free consultation here: https://admissionado.com/free-consultat ... sultation/
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
carrotwit wrote:
Hi

Thanks for all the support being given on this thread. Really appreciate all the moderators who are taking the time to do this. Request an eval of my profile for Insead as well.

Nationality: Indian
Education: Undergraduate - Engineering
GMAT: 690 (Q47 V38)

Work-Experience:
2010-2019 - Entrepreneur (not family business)
Co-founded, scaled and sold my digital marketing company to US based private equity firm. The 9 years has been a massive roller coaster ride. The company was bootstrapped till sale. Company won awards for creative work as well as "Best Startup Workplaces". The time as an entrepreneur has been very enriching, and can share so many stories of massive cash crunches, to marque client's turnarounds, to hiring, to handling issues of sexual harassment at the workplace etc.

Prior to being an entrepreneur, was working in the Management Consulting domain.

Other Aspects of profile
I'm a Yoga Teacher, spent 1.5 years training as a yoga teacher. Applied Yoga not just in personal life, but the tools of Yoga Sutra in designing the award winning work culture.

Been a volunteer in one place or another all my adult life. From AIESEC & founding an entrepreneurship club in college, to being part of the National Social Media core team of a main stream political party. From organizing entrepreneurship events to an event where 5000 volunteers worked from midnight to sunset to build 18 toilets in government schools.

Post MBA - Goal
To go back to being an Entrepreneur. Possibly in the space of digital skilling in vernacular languages, an estimated $3-5 billion market. A lot of research done already.

Thanks in advance

You seem to have a lot going for your candidacy - proven entrepreneurial chops if your company was valuable enough to be sold to a US PE firm, community activism/involvement (politics), cool extracurriculars (master yogi). You are the right age and the right place in your career arc for a INSEAD MBA (perhaps a tiny bit over their average age but I wouldn't worry about that). Your GMAT is a bit low for INSEAD, especially given your over-represented geographic demographic. I think if you sell your work experience and future ambitions the right way this may matter less.

It sounds like you have leadership chops beyond the typical INSEAD applicant. The INSEAD application is one of the longest b-school applications and should give you a lot of real estate to expand on what you learned in your 9 years founding and scaling your business. That's where you can shine and can potentially overcome your lower GMAT score.

If you decide to apply to schools other than INSEAD, another thing that you can do is try the GRE (this won't work for INSEAD since it prefers the GMAT). If you do well on the GRE, there are other excellent European schools who accept it that might be a great fit for your age and achievement - Cambridge, Oxford, HEC, among others.

What will matter most in your case is your strategic positioning - the personal brand that you use to differentiate yourself from the large number of Indian applicants who apply to INSEAD. Your strategic positioning guides what you emphasize on your resume and especially your essays. You want stories that resonate with good examples that show (rather than tell) who you are and how you are going to make INSEAD proud to have you as an alum. If you are applying with the objective of being an entrepreneur after school, a good way to de-risk your candidacy is emphasize all the entrepreneurial success you have already had, and the challenges you have overcome in that realm. It may help to talk to an admissions consultant about which stories to use in your essays and how to overcome the demographic headwinds associated with your candidacy through unique strategic positioning. If you are interested in that, feel free to sign up for a free consultation here: https://admissionado.com/free-consultat ... sultation/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GRE 1: Q165 V165
Send PM