Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:17 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [0]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [1]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools: HBS (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.97
Send PM
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022 [#permalink]
Businessconquerer wrote:
Just had a chat with the Assistant Dean of Admissions of MIT Sloan
Key Insights-
GMAT Matters
Big Names matter
Quality of Recommenders matter (Recommendation from a Managing Partner is much more preferred over others if written appropriately and with great quality)
Over represented pool might need to stand out from others of the same pool
You CAN get a second MBA BUTTTTTTTTTTT..... You must produce a VERY COMPELLING reason as to why you want to pursue another one.
I can give you a reason but find your own.

I can update the other stuff and particular questions when I get a recording from Linda Abraham of accepted.com
PM me with any specific queries that you wish to resolve, give a lil background as to why you're asking that question and make it more clear for me

Thanks for the insight!

Do you know how this changes (if at all) for undergraduate students applying for the Early Admission program?

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022 [#permalink]
HWaus wrote:
Businessconquerer wrote:
Key Insights-
GMAT Matters
Big Names matter
Quality of Recommenders matter (Recommendation from a Managing Partner is much more preferred over others if written appropriately and with great quality)
You CAN get a second MBA BUTTTTTTTTTTT..... You must produce a VERY COMPELLING reason as to why you want to pursue another one.

I can update the other stuff and particular questions when I get a recording from Linda Abraham of accepted.com
PM me with any specific queries that you wish to resolve, give a lil background as to why you're asking that question and make it more clear for me

Thanks for the insight!

Do you know how this changes (if at all) for undergraduate students applying for the Early Admission program?

Please PM me with the specific query, give me a lil detail as to what you're implying?
I can send in a detailed answer to that questions
Basic things that I tell the Early Applicants
Get a LOR from the highest ranked person from your university
Persuasion is a big power in Business world, if you can persuade a person at such a high post to write and take some time out to do so for you, you are great at persuading, in their eyes
They are down to one LOR now, so it better be the best
Keep the GMAT score above the Mid-80% range, why?
Well the business skills needed are missing at the moment, you want to show that you'll fit
And the scholarships are all need based showing how confident the b-school is about their students merit, as everyone who enters MIT is considered better than all the other B-schools, same goes for Harvard
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools: HBS (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.97
Send PM
Businessconquerer wrote:
HWaus wrote:
Businessconquerer wrote:
Key Insights-
GMAT Matters
Big Names matter

Thanks for the insight!

Please PM me with the specific query, give me a lil detail as to what you're implying?
I can send in a detailed answer to that questions
Basic things that I tell the Early Applicants
Get a LOR from the highest ranked person from your university
Persuasion is a big power in Business world, if you can persuade a person at such a high post to write and take some time out to do so for you, you are great at persuading, in their eyes
They are down to one LOR now, so it better be the best
Keep the GMAT score above the Mid-80% range, why?
Well the business skills needed are missing at the moment, you want to show that you'll fit
And the scholarships are all need based showing how confident the b-school is about their students merit, as everyone who enters MIT is considered better than all the other B-schools, same goes for Harvard

At the moment I don't have a more specific question. Thanks for the info!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
https://mitsloan.mit.edu/admissions-eve ... i=78875271

Please go through this link guys. Know more about MIT Sloan
There's more to Sloan than what you think.
Nothing unique though.
Director
Director
Send PM
Businessconquerer wrote:
Key Insights-
GMAT Matters
Big Names matter

Thanks for the insights mate!
I seem to have done it exactly wrong, could have gotten an from either a very high ranking member in the organization or the SVP of my department (MIT Alumni) but went with my direct supervisor due to the proximity. :/

Did they mention anything with regards to the interviews by any chance? :)

Cheers,
Chris

They certainly did. But I was multitasking and solving a case study on Redhook Ale by Darden so was quite distracted. I'll be going through the questions once I receive a recording from Linda Abraham, I'll upload the entire quotes and my view on what I think are they trying to cleverly hide with a clever word play.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Businessconquerer, I'm a longtime lurker on these forums, but I was wondering if you could clarify a point you'd made in your post, as it seems to run counter to what I've heard from Sloan.

To the best of my knowledge, Sloan much prefers a letter of recommendation from a direct, current (or former) supervisor rather than someone in a high post. While getting someone with a "VP" or "CEO" in their title to write a letter may sound impressive, Sloan is targeting someone who knows you very well and can speak to your accomplishments. This seems to be the case with every school I've looked into.

This is demonstrated on their "How to Apply" page:
A professional recommendation is preferred, from an individual who is able to speak with certainty about your professional achievements and potential.
https://mitsloan.mit.edu/mba/admissions/how-to-apply.

It's also explicitly stated on their videos from the Admissions team: https://youtu.be/IklwEESmSZ8?list=PLLps ... xhgK9&t=26

And here again from their 2018 video: https://youtu.be/NkoAg791ov0?t=56
"Finally, if you think that the president of CEO of your company might be a good recommender and this is somebody who you bumped into in an elevator who would perhaps write a sentence or two, I'm telling you, that is not a good choice. In the end, we're looking for people to write recommendations who know you well and can speak to the contribution that you have made in an organization. We're assessing you not them." - Dawna Levenson, Assistant Dean, MIT Sloan Admissions

Just want to make sure we all have the right information :) If the content of this post is true, Arro44 I'd say you did exactly the right thing
Director
Director
Send PM
Businessconquerer ,

I think you edited my post instead of quoting it. ;)
No worries, happened to me a few times too once I got that additional function after becoming a mod.

I left my post including you latest comments the way it is so you can just copy/paste it into a new post.

warmsoupbelly

Thank you for that insight, makes me feel a little better about the choice. =)
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Arro44 wrote:
Businessconquerer ,

I think you edited my post instead of quoting it. ;)
No worries, happened to me a few times too once I got that additional function after becoming a mod.

I left my post including you latest comments the way it is so you can just copy/paste it into a new post.

warmsoupbelly

Thank you for that insight, makes me feel a little better about the choice. =)

Crap I edited his too
I need to apologize to everyone here
I'm Sooooo sorry guys, please repost. I'll remove it.

But guys, it's obvious business logic- Brand Value and Negotiation power.
I don't need to explain this to you guys
SVP
SVP
Send PM
If you're going to be a good businessman, you need to learn to read between the lines

A Senior Partner of a company and Managing partner of a company would never give a LOR to someone who they do not know well, would they?
Nope
They would never

Now as for the claims, "a person who can speak highly of your accomplishments"
Direct supervisors can be difficult to deal with. If your application LOR is from a Senior partner who knows you well, it will definitely carry weight for two reasons-
1. Senior Partners have a reputation to maintain, they don't just hand stuff to anyone who is willing to leave the company
2. It shows how well you can convince a guy at a position so high as to take out time for such a lower level employee

Besides, my direct supervisor and Managing partner were same people.
So it was not much of an issue for me.

Yes, an LOR from direct supervisor counts
But in a way, the senior partners must have supervised you directly or indirectly, some point in your career.
I just read between the lines and this is what I made of the "effectiveness of LOR is important"
And to those who wish to produce two LORs, go for one big name and one direct supervisor. A perfect balance of Brand Value and Knowledge
Director
Director
Send PM
No Worries I tried to recreate the initial posts as good as I could.

Businessconquerer wrote:
If you're going to be a good businessman, you need to learn to read between the lines

A Senior Partner of a company and Managing partner of a company would never give a LOR to someone who they do not know well, would they?
Nope
They would never

Now as for the claims, "a person who can speak highly of your accomplishments"
Direct supervisors can be difficult to deal with. If your application LOR is from a Senior partner who knows you well, it will definitely carry weight for two reasons-
1. Senior Partners have a reputation to maintain, they don't just hand stuff to anyone who is willing to leave the company
2. It shows how well you can convince a guy at a position so high as to take out time for such a lower level employee

Besides, my direct supervisor and Managing partner were same people.
So it was not much of an issue for me.

Yes, an LOR from direct supervisor counts
But in a way, the senior partners must have supervised you directly or indirectly, some point in your career.
I just read between the lines and this is what I made of the "effectiveness of LOR is important"
And to those who wish to produce two LORs, go for one big name and one direct supervisor. A perfect balance of Brand Value and Knowledge

I agree with some of your points but I´d disagree with others.

I agree that a C-level member of my organization wouldn´t hand out an LoR to just anyone.
However, my organization has more than 10bn of revenue and 10000+ employees, so even if the CXO has a pretty good opinion of me & my work and is aware of my existence, I do not interact with him on a very frequent basis.

An LoR from someone like that in my organization would have likely been written 100% by myself, he would have briefly checked the content and then signed off on it. :)
In my opinion that would have have defeated the purpose in the given case.

However, I am aware that in smaller organizations/ a consulting environment the interaction between the hierarchy levels is more frequent and fluent.

Cheers,
Chris
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Kudos
I would highly discourage any involvement of any kind in your LORs other than asking the person for it

It is a serious offense and you will be kicked out of the school application for doing so.
If your Managing Partner is giving a LOR, schools don't look at it with scepticism. If they do, they'll follow up.
You can see the effect of LOR in the tool that we made. The guy needs to maintain the integrity. I have never seen anyone do any such black market like job.

But, it does show negotiation power. It won't matter that much though as there are other factors but comparitively, there will be a lil more inclination to approach the guy who could convince a Managing partner to take out time to tell tales of glory of a guy who is about to leave the very firm he would have to go through an effort to hire a new employee in.
Again, it can vary from person to person, but it is what I can make of it.
I don't believe a word the Adcom says, I treat every word of theirs with scepticism and try to figure out what they are trying to hide with Clever Word Play.

Acceptance rates decrease with the increase in the number of applicants in the pool, there are so many other factors I don't wanna waster your time with. Just think practically, don't just think that they'll guess something. "They won't call you fake", quote by the HBS guru Sandy Kriesberg for HBS. Your LORs dictate that you weren't involved, at least that what the rule is. If the Adcom thinks and rejects you for that,take a sigh as it is their loss. Business is about proof more than intuition
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Kudos
Just completed the webinar of Tepper CMU. Posting it here too to help MIT candidates WHO MIGHT apply
The course is Quant heavy and they prefer to see either GMAT or GRE. (Opinion- They truly do, almost 22% from GRE, checked myself)
The program is STEM
Your degree regardless of concentration will be STEM
Your academic performance is essential in the review. If you are an engineer, take a sigh of relief as you can demonstrate talent to deal with quant, if your scores say that of course

Use the optional essay to describe any, ANY, thing that would raise an eye brow. Call it a asterisk as a T&C apply type stuff

Take courses on math, business math if you can to demonstrate that you can take the quant.
You may take another GMAT after applying, just mention that to the Adcom and submit that before interview deadlines.

The LORs from a person "who knows your well and is an advocate of your accomplishment" is preferred over "designation"
If your current direct supervisor cannot give you the LOR then mention that in Additional essay and use an indirect supervisor (Opinion- Prefer to take one LOR from direct supervisor and one from a person with
good position who knows you professionally well to maintain a balance of Brand value and Knowledge)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
https://gmatclub.com/forum/mchat6.php

This is the thread for decision of MIT Sloan DECISIONS CHAT on December 18
Feel free to connect to other students admitted
Develop connections before you get in
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
(1)Do they contact the people who have been listen as additional references? What about the main recommender?
(2) What is the main purpose of the organizational chart? Also, if I have worked at 2 organizations (my previous one being the one with a proper organization and stuff and the current one - not so much - it's a small company). Do i present charts for both the companies?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
shristi20 wrote:
(1)Do they contact the people who have been listen as additional references? What about the main recommender?
(2) What is the main purpose of the organizational chart? Also, if I have worked at 2 organizations (my previous one being the one with a proper organization and stuff and the current one - not so much - it's a small company). Do i present charts for both the companies?

They did not contact any of my contacts, neither main recommender nor any of the two additional references.

Best regards,
Chris
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Thank you , Chris!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
I am disappointed in the MIT thread, Quite frankly my McMaster thread is way more active than this one, where are the Admits at?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts