Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:21 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
A Study Plan [#permalink]
I have just joined this forum a month back, and was a passive reader, trying to work out a gmat study plan for myself. I thought I shall share my study plan with the forum here. But before that, a brief background about myself. I am a software project leader, in India. I have a masters in computer applications, and with a work experience of 9 years. I think I should start looking at EMBA to move myself up the ladder.

I am looking at joining a good business school in India, and I am looking at IIM (Indian Institue of Management) and ISB (Indian School of Business) as the first choice. I know they are very premier institutes in India, and I need to have a score of 700+ to get in.

I plan to take my GMAT by end october or early November in 2005. I should be registering for my exams by end july. I think I have a good time to prepare, but I need to balance my preparation, with my work and home. I have the following books to help me.
1) Arco
2) Princeton Review
3) Kaplan
4) OG
I am bit confident about Quants, and verbal is where I have to concentrate a lot. I have also bought a book "High School, English Grammar and composition" by Wren & Martin. People in India, would be very much aware of this book, it gives you a very strong basics on English grammar.

I have been concentrating on Critical reasoning for the past 15 days, and Arco has been very good in this aspect. I have now started to work on the exercies in CR, and I am slowly getting confident in this area.

In the month of May, I plan to work on comprehension and basics on Math.

June I plan to get into the advanced topics of math like probablity and permutation - combinations.

July I plan to spend one full month for sentence correction. By this time, I would have also enrolled for the exam.

From hereon, I plan to review whatever I have learnt, and start taking practice test by September.

I shall keep this forum informed on my plans, and I am sure, I shall be able to get my questions answered, whenever I have them.

I know, I have a ambitious plan on hand - Where there is a will there is a way. Isn't it.

Thanks to all of you. And I hope to help all those, wherever I can. All the best to each of you.

regards
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: A study plan [#permalink]
Can anybody advice me how to prepare for GMAT.I have finished my Bachelors a month ago.And with a month preparartion ,i sat for GMAT exam -ended up with just 500 (Scale scored 41/Q ,19/V).
I am very depressed. I am planing for MS in finance in Oct sem 2006, for which i need to score 700.
Plz guide me how to prepare in a month.I have not attended any coachings.I am self preparing with the books -OG,Kaplan,PR and Barron.
I am mostly weak in verbal part.
I am not working so can study whole day.Waiting for suggestions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 214 [0]
Send PM
Where to get the delta course? [#permalink]
Hi everyone,

I'm new and starting to gather all the resources I need. How to I get info/ access to the delta course you mentioned above?

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
How are these Practice Sections? [#permalink]
Hi,
I just downloaded a bunch of practice material (it came in ps.zip, ds.zip, cr.zip, sc.zip, rc.zip) from gmatclub website. The zip files contain various sections and each section contains a timed set of questions. For example, the ps section 1 contains 20 questions to be done in 30 minutes.

I just wanted to know how good are these for the exam prep - I was thinking of charting out a plan of study and was considering putting these in the plan - has anyone practiced with these?

Thanks!
- HJ
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Strategy [#permalink]
Dear Friends ,

I have only a month to prepare for GMAT.Please advice me the schedule.From where should I start preparing .I have OG 10TH Edition ,PR , KAPLAN , Barron's.Plz suggest me whether these are sufficient for preparation?

Really urgent plz reply soon.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
What exactly is powerprep and where can I get it?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think Cracking the GMAT is also good in the beginning. Barrons is not bad - why not?

I study 1-2 hours every day(after work 1 hour rest and then 1-2 hours study), weekends -try 3-4 hours per day (mostly tests). I am planning to take one week of vacation before the test and practice, study as much as possible also before the test.

Take 1 day before the test as relaxing day - otherwise you will explode!!!

What you think about it?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi all - new member here. [#permalink]
Hi all,

I've just finished my PR book and want to move on to a Kaplan one and I'm stuck. I have 2-

a. Kaplan Primier Program 2007 Ed
b. Kaplan GMAT 800 2006-2007 Ed

Which book should I go to next? I've heard some mention a third Kaplan book: "Kaplan 200x With BD". Is this the same as (a.) above or an entirely different book.

I've also read some say (a.) above is not worth spending time on...?

Thanks for your help,

-Saumil
saumster@yahoo.com
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 534 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I believe that anyone with an engineering background should focus more on scoring as high as possible on the quant and less on verbal. Preparation will not help much in increasing the verbal scores beyond a point. I usually spend around 15 hours a week on GMAT which includes 1 or 2 full length tests.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 492 [0]
Send PM
Revisiting the strategy [#permalink]
Hi All,
I took a GMATPrep test today and scored 620. Can anyone suggest the what could be further strategy. Q - 22/37 , V - 25/41

Regards,
Amit
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Sentence Correction issues [#permalink]
I am studying for the GMAT and I realised that i am doing good on the RC and CR but the sentence correction gives me the most trouble. Does anyone have any recommended strategies for this ? I am using Kaplanbut the OG problems seem harder. Seems like Kaplan books doesnt cover all concepts.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
19 more days to go [#permalink]
Good heavens, I have to face the music in less than three weeks. I'm relying completely on Kaplan Planner CD. Let's see what's going to happen. Today I took Kaplan Diag. test and got 640 (Q - 39, V - 40) though Q score doesn't show my actual Q potential. With this, SC was 100% up to mark and RC was pathetic. Long way to go.....
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Sentence Correction issues [#permalink]
tlntd177 wrote:
I am studying for the GMAT and I realised that i am doing good on the RC and CR but the sentence correction gives me the most trouble. Does anyone have any recommended strategies for this ? I am using Kaplanbut the OG problems seem harder. Seems like Kaplan books doesnt cover all concepts.

With all my vast experience with SC, I can say that this is the most scoring section of Verbal and the easiest one. I don't see any reason why people should make phobia out of it.
Do 10 questions of SC at a time and try to narrow the choices from five of each question to 2 or 3. If you do mistake, analyse the mistake and make a category of it. There aren't many miskate-related concepts in SC. But remember to do your homework of analyzing. In addition, SC is all about practicing and identifying the incorrect ones. The more your practice, the faster you'll identify.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Revisiting the strategy [#permalink]
Amit05 wrote:
Hi All,
I took a GMATPrep test today and scored 620. Can anyone suggest the what could be further strategy. Q - 22/37 , V - 25/41

Regards,
Amit

You should make strategy for both Qunat and Verbal if you're aiming for 700+. I'm sure you've just started your preparation so you still have a long way to go. Recently I brought Kaplan Higher Score CD. Firstly, they will take your Diagnostic test to see where you stand. Then they'll make a study plan for you, that means step-by-step preparation, giving more importance to your weaknesses.
With this, OG is still the Holy Grail. Explanations are helpful and questions are very close real GMAT ones.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
ArvGMAT wrote:
I believe that anyone with an engineering background should focus more on scoring as high as possible on the quant and less on verbal. Preparation will not help much in increasing the verbal scores beyond a point. I usually spend around 15 hours a week on GMAT which includes 1 or 2 full length tests.

I wouldn't disagree with you, though I've one more reason. Corporate world has a typical penchant for people who are great with numbers. No wonder AdCom, while anaylzing the application of a candidate, show more focus on Qunat score than on Verbal score. Low Verbal score can be overshadowed by High Qunat score but not vice-versa.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey thanks...
I figured out what I was doing wrong... I was forming answers in my head before looking at the choices which the princeton book said not to do(Got the princeton book b/c a lot of people here seemed to mention it for SC) Now i am over 80% correct on most sc... But still doing homework.. Thanks for your help
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey all Took a GMAT practice test today scored 650....(Q45, V34) I realised I am need to finish the quant faster and I also need to concentrate more (I.E) cut down on simple mistakes I missed some easy questions on the quant... Any last minute tips.... ?
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3