Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:20 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.15
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.15
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation for MS FINANCE - Urgent help! [#permalink]
gunman wrote:
Thanks for replying. Below are my comments.
1) I have worked primarily in Banking and Financial clients for US. As part of my regular activitites, I learned a lot about trading, hedging and budgeting decisions. As a result, i got interest in Financial world and passed CFA L3. I can justify this in a better way in my SOP. With CFA L3 under my belt now, I think it is the right time to puruse MSF and earn CFA Charterholder. GPA is not a barrier for me and i guess it is 3.5 out of 4.

2. Regarding school selection, i created the list by searching various threads from this forum and internet search. Since my gmat score was below 650, i skipped well known schools such as Ross, UCLA, Austin, USC etc.

Please let me know your comments.

Posted from my mobile device

Thank you for your answers for my question.

It is never too late to go back to graduate school. But age is definitely a factor. I may even suggest Executive MBA with 13 years of experience.

Sticking to MFIN programs, you may want to research on GMAT/GRE waivers due to your experience and passing Level 3. I highly suggest considering London Business School in UK. A top B-school can easily get you a job in the US/Canada compared to the schools you have listed. It will be hard, but the schools listed are non-target and will be harder for an international student. I am suggesting LBS as they have GMAT waivers if you have cleared CFA L2 (Rotman is L3 for waivers).

I suggest staying clear of non-target schools as an international student. With as much experience as you have, the investment wont be worth as much as taking time off to go to the US to a non-target school and will have a hard time finding a job.

Work on increasing the GMAT or looking into the waivers. I suggest Rotman from the list as the ly have GMAT waivers as well as LBS in UK.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thank you for the comments.

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
gunman wrote:
Hi,

i have 13 yrs of experience in IT and looking to get into Finance. I want to pursue MS Finance from US/Canada and My nationality is Indian.

Undergrad - BE Computer Science
Gmat -560 Q48,V20
TOEFL -103
CFA - passed L3
Gender - Male

Have 5/6 certification from National Stock Exchange of India and published 1 research paper on Retail Financial operations internal to my organization.

Volunteered for many CSR activities and taught Maths.

Could you please let me know which MSF program is good?

Hey there,
As you have mentioned you have a work experience of 13 years, which is a bit on the higher end for the MSF program. Though the schools you have mentioned are more in the competitive category and with a strong application and a competitive GMAT score you can target the same.
But I would suggest you opt for an Executive MBA keeping your work experience into consideration. If you apply for the same you need not retake GMAT as well.
Also, if you are targeting the finance program you would need to retake the GMAT and aim for a higher score so that you can target the top schools.
Below are some MFin Schools that have students with Higher Work ex:

- LBS
- Judge Business School
- SMU
- Amsterdam Business School
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Florida International University: Chapman
I will also advise you to send the mail to the respective schools and get a confirmation about the same.

For any further assistance, feel free to drop me a message at support@mim-essay.com

Georgia state university - MSF
Iowa State university- MSF
Tippie college - Iowa University - MSF
NCSU - Financial Mathematics
Rotman - MS finance
UIC - MSF
UC - Lindner college - MSF

After completing masters, I want to work in US/Canada.

Any inputs will be highly appreciated.
Thanks!

Intern
Intern
Send PM
thank you for the feedback!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Profile Evaluation for MS FINANCE - Urgent help! [#permalink]
You can try Georgia state (Atlanta home of Business),Rotman and UIC

HqLife What are those targeted schools?
HqLife wrote:
gunman wrote:
Thanks for replying. Below are my comments.
1) I have worked primarily in Banking and Financial clients for US. As part of my regular activitites, I learned a lot about trading, hedging and budgeting decisions. As a result, i got interest in Financial world and passed CFA L3. I can justify this in a better way in my SOP. With CFA L3 under my belt now, I think it is the right time to puruse MSF and earn CFA Charterholder. GPA is not a barrier for me and i guess it is 3.5 out of 4.

2. Regarding school selection, i created the list by searching various threads from this forum and internet search. Since my gmat score was below 650, i skipped well known schools such as Ross, UCLA, Austin, USC etc.

Please let me know your comments.

Thank you for your answers for my question.

It is never too late to go back to graduate school. But age is definitely a factor. I may even suggest Executive MBA with 13 years of experience.

Sticking to MFIN programs, you may want to research on GMAT/GRE waivers due to your experience and passing Level 3. I highly suggest considering London Business School in UK. A top B-school can easily get you a job in the US/Canada compared to the schools you have listed. It will be hard, but the schools listed are non-target and will be harder for an international student. I am suggesting LBS as they have GMAT waivers if you have cleared CFA L2 (Rotman is L3 for waivers).

I suggest staying clear of non-target schools as an international student. With as much experience as you have, the investment wont be worth as much as taking time off to go to the US to a non-target school and will have a hard time finding a job.

Work on increasing the GMAT or looking into the waivers. I suggest Rotman from the list as the ly have GMAT waivers as well as LBS in UK.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Staphyk. I received admit from Georgia state university and awaiting decision on others.

GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts