Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:42 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1441 [0]
Given Kudos: 994
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 02-18-2019
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3450 [0]
Given Kudos: 162
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V30
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: GMAT 710 : retake or work on application [#permalink]
This score is good enough from GMAT score perspective.
However, if your mocks are way above this score and if you’re sure that you can give the exam ASAP, then you can give a try. High score than average would definitely make your case strong along with extra curriculars

Posted from my mobile device
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
I recommend that Indians have 20 points over the class average. That offers no guarantees but puts you in contention with a good application. That's true for these schools aside from INSEAD and LBS.

I frankly do not think you should apply to round 3 London Business School you just don't have the stats and honestly that is a very competitive round anyways because people with Sky High GMAT scores who are under-represented are applying to that round as well after submitting us applications.

The INSEAD application is very long and requires a lot of thought, so I think even if you started now it would be tough to make it really solid. Target R2 with better stats.

It's not been my experience that Indians get in there with 710 GMAT scores like ever. Ever ever..unless they are under-represented in terms of industry and maybe female.

I think it's 730 would put you in the possibility range and 740 or 750 would put you more in the good probability range if you have great leadership stories and everything else that fulfills the criteria.

The wisest idea is probably for you to get a verbal tutor increase your verbal score so that you're more competitive at insead, where they like 75% or better on both sections and you really need to have something like in the 730 area.

Apply to January term. The key to all of this is applying to January term so do the same thing for HEC. All the Indian seats are filled for fall term I can almost guarantee you that.

If you want to put a other applications in for schools that are simple, that have 690 or less GMAT class averages, go for that but I would put my greatest emphasis on January term schools getting your GMAT sorted and applying round one or round 2.

ParantapBhu wrote:
Hi everyone,
I recently gave my GMAT and got 710 (Q:50 , V:37) . My dream schools are
London business school, INSEAD, HEC, IE business school, Oxford said , judge business school, rottman business school, Mannheim, ESADE, IESE

My question is for the above mentioned schools, should I focus on my application or retake GMAT ? I know for most of these schools the average score is below what I got but will it help if I increase the gap between the avg score and mine or I can focus that time on my application

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
No need for retaking. Focus on essays!

VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
Hi ParantapBhu,

Assuming you are from over presented Indian applicants, it works better if you retake GMAT to add 20 points to stand a chance within your competitive pool even though you have required GMAT for targeted schools. Retaking GMAT will surely make changes gap between school average and your current score, but it is just not the overall number game so try to get a balanced score. Apart from the GMAT score, focusing on application essays is a daunting part of any MBA applicant as most of the applicants are new to the process; expertise help can boost your chances for getting into dream schools.

Cheers!
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Expert Reply
ParantapBhu wrote:
Hi everyone,
I recently gave my GMAT and got 710 (Q:50 , V:37) . My dream schools are
London business school, INSEAD, HEC, IE business school, Oxford said , judge business school, rottman business school, Mannheim, ESADE, IESE

My question is for the above mentioned schools, should I focus on my application or retake GMAT ? I know for most of these schools the average score is below what I got but will it help if I increase the gap between the avg score and mine or I can focus that time on my application

Hello ParantapBhu,

Thanks for your query.

If you feel you've had better mock scores, we do not see any harm in you retaking the GMAT and improving your score further (as your score is alright for a number of schools in your shortlist but falls short of the average for the others). A higher GMAT score will definitely help.

All the best!
GMAT Club Bot